Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
CALIFORNIA

However, stores and farmer markets were bustling, and many people took advantage of the beautiful spring weather and rushed to the outdoors. At beaches and parks, not everyone heeded calls to practice social distancing, prompting Newsom to call them out.

“Those young people are still out there on the beaches thinking it's time to party. It's time to grow up, time to wake up,” he said at an evening news conference. “Time to recognize that it's not just about the old folks, it's about your impact on their lives. Don't be selfish.”

Governor calls on youth to take shelter-in-place seriously
Police should be patrolling beaches and areas where people gather, using bullhorns and telling people to go home.

Hanes clothing company is retrofitting factories to make masks to combat the aggressive spread of novel coronavirus, President Donald Trump announced at a press conference Saturday. The company later confirmed it was pairing with the government to make N95 masks for health care workers on the front line of fighting the disease.

Hanes expects to ramp up to production of 1.5 million masks weekly, and the consortium of companies it has joined, led by Parkdale Mills America, is expected to ramp up to production of 5 million to 6 million masks weekly using HanesBrands’ design and patterns, the company said in a statement.

"The company’s supply chain and product development experts created technical product specifications, including product chemistry, and samples of cotton masks in coordination with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that were approved by the FDA." Hanes said.

Hanes will start making masks for health care professionals treating coronavirus
Good. If we're not going to use Defense Production powers, let's hope pricing is under control. All that talk about "competing" yesterday makes me very nervous for all states, but especially poorer states.

This is what cdc says about homemade masks. If we make them for personal use, I guess we better figure out where to get face shields? We are going to look like aliens.
HCP use of homemade masks:
"In settings where facemasks are not available, HCP might use homemade masks (e.g., bandana, scarf) for care of patients with COVID-19 as a last resort. However, homemade masks are not considered PPE, since their capability to protect HCP is unknown. Caution should be exercised when considering this option. Homemade masks should ideally be used in combination with a face shield that covers the entire front (that extends to the chin or below) and sides of the face."
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Our community is buzzing about making homemade masks, with organizations calling for people who know how to sew to make masks to donate to hospitals and clinics.

Definitely homemade masks are better than nothing, however, it is not a substitute for PPE used by healthcare professionals.

IMO, these should not be purchased by the general public. Leave them for the front line medical staff. If they die, there is no one to care for anyone in this crisis.
You would think medical staff had the medical suppliers who they could buy these items separate from what is available to the general public. Furthermore shields are not disposable so you only need one (unlike masks).

First hospital doctor dies in France from coronavirus

Health Minister Olivier Veran said that as far as he knew the man - who died on Saturday - was the "first hospital doctor to be hit".

The accident and emergency practitioner worked at a hospital in Compiegne, north of Paris, AFP was able to confirm.

Netherlands confirms 43 new Covid-19 deaths

Confirmed coronavirus infections in the Netherlands have risen by 573 to 4,204, with 43 new deaths, Reuters are reporting.

Coronavirus latest news: 1.5 million people told 'stay home for at least 12 weeks' with food supply planning under way

#StayHomeSaveLives

(Reuters) - Countries can't simply lock down their societies to defeat coronavirus, the World Health Organization's top emergency expert said on Sunday, adding that public health measures are needed to avoid a resurgence of the virus later on.

"What we really need to focus on is finding those who are sick, those who have the virus, and isolate them, find their contacts and isolate them," Mike Ryan said in an interview on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show.

"The danger right now with the lockdowns ... if we don't put in place the strong public health measures now, when those movement restrictions and lockdowns are lifted, the danger is the disease will jump back up."

Lockdowns not enough to defeat coronavirus - WHO's Ryan
When i read what Singapore did to retrace patients' steps often testing/informing people before they had a clue that they might have had the virus. And the FEMA stands up on the news this morning as says "don't take the test unless you really truly feel symptoms--yikes. I think this going to backfire.

This made me cry. Of all the things I miss- it is my grandchildren running in and out of my front door. Their silly, playful, and energetic love that always brings joy. The picture captures my grandkids, thank you.
Happy blessed Sunday all. Hang in there.

Well, this "a way" to distance yourself from the grandkids!
Just bring the beach chairs and keep a safe distance!
(They really shouldn't have left their home, but older people can be hard headed!)
This is a friend of mine's parents and children...
I don't think their faces can be seen.
Just, how sweet is the power of love?
Love-1
Coronavirus-0
Moo
View attachment 239752

MICHIGAN

Whitmer shutters hair and nail salons, extends restaurant closure

Lansing — Gov. Gretchen Whitmer issued a new executive order on Saturday night clarifying that nail, tanning and hair salons along with tattoo shops must temporarily close to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The governor's new order also extends the ongoing closure of fitness centers, movie theaters, bars and dine-in service at restaurants. That closure was previously set to end on March 30. Under the new order, it goes until April 13...

"Nationwide, there were 26,747 cases and 340 deaths as the U.S. overlook Germany as the country with the fourth-highest number of cases, according to Johns Hopkins University. At least 38 people tested positive at New York City's Rikers Island jail complex — more than half of them inmates. Another inmate became the first in the U.S. to test positive in a federal jail."
Soaring death tolls reported as coronavirus marches on in Italy, Iran, US

Kansas City

Officials with Jackson County, Johnson County, Kansas, Wyandotte County and the City of Kansas City have announced a “stay-at-home” order on March 21.

The order will go into effect on Tuesday, March 24 and last through April 24. It directs residents to stay at home except for essential needs.

Essential activities include the following:

• Tasks essential to a person’s health and safety or to the health and safety of their family and close personal acquaintances
    • Obtaining necessary services or supplies
    • Assisting in food food preparation for delivery and carry out, or to pick up food or drink for carry out
    • To engage in outdoor activities while complying with social distancing
    • To perform work providing essential products and services
    • To care for a family member, close acquaintance or pet
    • “Essential activities” do not include weddings, funerals, wakes, memorial services, or similar gatherings.
Kansas City metro issues ‘stay-at-home’ order, extends Missouri school closures for next month

This includes my county now Leavenworth, KS.

I want to thank all of you for keeping the thread full of current information. I read almost everything I just don't post. Please don't forget about us in the middle of the USA. I know we don't have as many cases yet. It is just now starting to grow in numbers.

I am sheltered in place already. Only place I have been is the dreaded grocery store and a medical appointment that was already scheduled
(Waving) in Manhattan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member