Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SOUTH CAROLINA

South Carolina National Guard transporting supplies to support coronavirus response efforts

V6OHKRZYGRDPTAWTITGLYQNOF4.jpg

[...]

The National Guard is ready to support the counties, local and state agencies, and first responders with requested resources for as long as needed in support of COVID-19 response efforts in the state.

I wonder if Dr Fauci agrees with what were said in today's White House briefing - Open up the country 'soon', We can do 2 things(open up, contain the virus) at the same time, A lot depends on 'personal responsibility', If you are young, you won't die, Comparing Coronavirus to Flu and automobile accidents and so on....

I am confused. I don't understand all of the sudden optimism about opening up the economy in weeks. Is this a safety decision or a $$$$ decision? I am all for the economy, and hate sitting home, but if the message of the last week is true, could it not be months before we things return to normal? Also, did I hear they could possibly send younger people back to work earlier than older people. That raises a question too. Who is considered older? 50s? 60? 70?

I asked that question yesterday, what was considered elderly. One person answered that 55 was considered elderly for subsidized housing. Italy considers age over 60 not worth the time to try to save. People that have more than likely worked for decades, paid their taxes that are 60+ are not worthy trying to save. I think Italy is wrong on this.

I am confused. I don't understand all of the sudden optimism about opening up the economy in weeks. Is this a safety decision or a $$$$ decision? I am all for the economy, and hate sitting home, but if the message of the last week is true, could it not be months before we things return to normal? Also, did I hear they could possibly send younger people back to work earlier than older people. That raises a question too. Who is considered older? 50s? 60? 70?

It's very likely wishful thinking. China wanted to put people back to work right away too, but it was impossible with all people dropping dead at work. It's four months in Wuhan so far, and they were very proactive to minimize transmission.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/23/coronavirus-latest-news/
U.S. states on Monday reported more than 100 deaths from the novel coronavirus, pushing the country’s total death toll past 500 and marking the first time single-day fatalities have risen into the triple-digits since the pandemic reached U.S. soil.

The virus has now claimed lives in at least 34 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, and has infected more than 41,000 people nationwide, according to tracking by The Washington Post.

Here are some significant developments:
  • British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said at a news conference that all nonessential shops will close, travel will be restricted, and police will enforce social distancing if necessary.
  • President Trump is weighing calls from some Republican lawmakers and White House advisers to scale back steps to contain the coronavirus despite the advice of federal health officials. Senior U.S. health officials, including Anthony S. Fauci, who have said the worst of the pandemic has yet to be felt in the United States.
  • The nation’s governors are getting far better marks for their handling of the coronavirus outbreak than President Trump, according to a new Monmouth University poll. Fifty percent of Americans say Trump has done a good job handling the crisis, while 72 percent say governors have done a good job — results that are consistent regardless of party affiliation or severity of outbreak in a particular state.
  • Michigan, Ohio, Louisiana and Oregon became the latest states to announce stay-at-home orders. The governors of Maryland and Massachusetts ordered nonessential businesses to close, and Virginia’s governor said schools would remain closed for the rest of the academic year.
  • Virus-ravaged Italy marked 608 coronavirus deaths Monday, bringing its total to 5,476 — more than any other country. Spain extended its lockdown for another 15 days as the national death toll surged more than 25 percent. Spain now has more than 33,000 confirmed cases, and the prime minister warned that “the worst is yet to come.”
[...]

$1.50 here.
@Tillicum
I think you gave us some gardening advice on a prior thread and I wanted to thank you. I am seriously considering just ordering bags of potting soil and seeds to be delivered, starting the way you instructed, giving seedlings away to neighbors if needed. No one knows where we will be in a month or two.

I asked that question yesterday, what was considered elderly. One person answered that 55 was considered elderly for subsidized housing. Italy considers age over 60 not worth the time to try to save. People that have more than likely worked for decades, paid their taxes that are 60+ are not worthy trying to save. I think Italy is wrong on this.

Wow, I must be out there. I consider all lives equal. I must be crazy.

I wonder if Dr Fauci agrees with what were said in today's White House briefing - Open up the country 'soon', We can do 2 things(open up, contain the virus) at the same time, A lot depends on 'personal responsibility', If you are young, you won't die, Comparing Coronavirus to Flu and automobile accidents and so on....

Canada CBC used to switch to Trump when he had something to say - not anymore.

It's just a matter of time. Flattening the curve means telling everyone to stay home before there are cases. Many Canadian cities have taken this approach. Close the borders, tell everyone to stay home and hope that returning travellers do not cause further community transmission.

Our government is being realistic. Not everyone can stay at home.

It is possible to both flatten the curve and protect the economy. Essential businesses haven't closed. My 73-yo brother is at work at his airline operations job. Several states in the U.S. with huge populations such as NY and Chicago have ordered sheltering-in-place across the board but not all states are heavily populated. Our mayor closed restaurants, bars. Schools are closed but businesses are open with many workers telecommuting. Borders between states will not be closed because the nation's supply chain relies on interstate commerce. The border between Canada and the U.S. is open to ensure the supply chain continues.

JMO

CALIFORNIA - Bay Area

Coronavirus live updates: Bay Area schools could follow Los Angeles in remaining closed until May
[...]

4:15 p.m. Bay Area school districts could follow L.A. extension: Bay Area school districts could follow Los Angeles, which Monday announced it will keep schools closed until at least May 4. Local and state education leaders said they are in frequent contact with health officials to determine next steps, while making plans for how to educate the state’s 6.2 million students over the long haul. S.F. public schools are closed until April 6.

4:09 p.m. Many San Francisco International Airport passengers not screened: Americans are scrambling to get home under the advice of the U.S. government, which has said travel anywhere abroad is unsafe. But passengers from most countries are still not screened at SFO or other airports, Mallory Moench reports.

[...]

WASHINGTON

Coronavirus: Inslee to give statewide speech Monday night
Gov. Jay Inslee is giving a statewide address Monday night on the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, which continues to spread in Washington.

Inslee’s address will come on the same day Boeing announced it was shutting down its Seattle-area production facilities for two weeks. The shutdown comes after a Boeing worker died of the virus.

The address is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. and will be carried live on KIRO TV and its digital platforms including online and the KIRO 7 smart TV and News apps.

The Department of Health updated its statewide count to 110 deaths from 2,221 cases as of Monday at 3 p.m. The department releases new statewide cases numbers daily between 2 and 4 p.m. See that information here.

[...]

Our government is being realistic. Not everyone can stay at home.

It is possible to both flatten the curve and protect the economy. Essential businesses haven't closed. My 73-yo brother is at work at his airline operations job. Several states in the U.S. with huge populations such as NY and Chicago have ordered sheltering-in-place across the board but not all states are heavily populated. Our mayor closed restaurants, bars. Schools are closed but businesses are open with many workers telecommuting. Borders between states will not be closed because the nation's supply chain relies on interstate commerce. The border between Canada and the U.S. is open to ensure the supply chain continues.

JMO

Yes, the Canada / USA border is closed, but the supply chain is open. Not everyone can stay at home, but everyone who can stay at home must stay home except for essential errands and short walks. Snowbirds must stay home when they arrive in the country.

Coronavirus updates: World Health Organization says "the pandemic is accelerating"
[...]

The World Health Organization on Monday said the pandemic is accelerating. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of WHO, said it took 67 days from the first case to reach 100,000 cases, 11 days for the second 100,000 cases and four days for the next 100,000 cases.

More than 34,000 people have contracted the virus in the U.S., and at least 485 people have died across the country, according to Johns Hopkins University. Worldwide, the number of confirmed coronavirus cases is nearing 350,000, with at least 15,000 deaths.
[...]

They are very wrong IMO. They are not God. All lives matter.

@Tillicum
I think you gave us some gardening advice on a prior thread and I wanted to thank you. I am seriously considering just ordering bags of potting soil and seeds to be delivered, starting the way you instructed, giving seedlings away to neighbors if needed. No one knows where we will be in a month or two.
I started one tote/potting soil greenhouse of spinach and one of lettuce yesterday. I'll start a new one of each for the next five weeks in order to keep producing continuously. Today I started tomatoes and zucchini in one of my cupcake carriers. Will do four more. Micro mini greenhouses ;)

[

As the peak of the number of sick people who are either not able to work and stay at home, or are hospitalized in stable or critical conditions isn't even predicted to hit for 21 days, lessening the restrictions on March 30 sounds exactly like the prescription for more disease and morbidity.

AND MORE RISK to frontline HEALTHCARE providers.

This is just unacceptable and irresponsible to portray as realistic.

Last edited:
I don't either but sometimes it looks and feels like it when a low dark cloud passes over. I'll be glad when the clouds move away.
I will, too. I think we're still several weeks away from a peak. I want to see our kids and grandkids. It was nice to hear that NYC test of the malaria drug had helped a critically ill man improve dramatically.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member