Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fatalities in the US from COVID=19 exceeded 100 people today, for the first time.

And what will it be tomorrow, and the next day?

Should we stop all the social isolation and all get back to work when the deaths are starting to climb exponentially?

There might very well be 300 deaths per day by March 30.

I don't believe the sky has fallen.

JMO
No, I don't think so either, and it really doesn't have to, with citizens who respect social distancing and competent leadership that: understands science, does what is needed to provide for front-line workers (think WW2), and helps people with child care and mortgages and paychecks and food in the process of social distancing/"15 day challenge" (we're all gonna be skinny and broke?)... and TESTS people. We have hope from Asia, though they are going through their next wave right now.

Last edited:
Coronavirus updates: World Health Organization says "the pandemic is accelerating"
[...]

The World Health Organization on Monday said the pandemic is accelerating. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of WHO, said it took 67 days from the first case to reach 100,000 cases, 11 days for the second 100,000 cases and four days for the next 100,000 cases.

More than 34,000 people have contracted the virus in the U.S., and at least 485 people have died across the country, according to Johns Hopkins University. Worldwide, the number of confirmed coronavirus cases is nearing 350,000, with at least 15,000 deaths.
[...]

Every time I see 34,000 cases in the US, my mind does typo translation, thinking it's only 3400. The US is almost half way to the China numbers but in a much shorter time.

Population China : 1.386 billion
Population USA : 330 million

Our local Farmer's Market is due to begin the first week of April and there's been much talk about whether or not the stands can be set up with enough space in between to make it viable.

In the meantime we have some small local farms who have little stands set up where you can pick up what produce you want and leave cash or checks in payment. Yes, it's unmanned and on the honor system and yes, it's been in place way before coronavirus. IOW it's ideal social distancing, lol.

Tomorrow hubby and I will visit one and see what's out for the day. We'll plan a meal around whatever fresh produce they have. Today I have Navy Bean soup in the slow cooker.

Last month our beloved stove died and the virus hit before we could replace it so we're using our wok burner, slow cooker, barbecue grill and an ifoodie toaster oven to make meals. Not ideal but we're both good enough cooks that we're managing.

I am confused. I don't understand all of the sudden optimism about opening up the economy in weeks. Is this a safety decision or a $$$$ decision? I am all for the economy, and hate sitting home, but if the message of the last week is true, could it not be months before we things return to normal? Also, did I hear they could possibly send younger people back to work earlier than older people. That raises a question too. Who is considered older? 50s? 60? 70?
BBM. Those at the press conference pointed out the extreme measures undertaken early on have given rise to optimism that this crisis isn't going to last for months as initially feared and the death rate may not be as high, either. The reporter seemed to think it is impossible.

The age of concern is those of us over 60 who have conditions such as diabetes or high blood pressure. For those of us retired, we can stay at home. Right now my oldest brother is at work at an Atlanta airline and I'm concerned about him being exposed.

JMO

BBM. Those at the press conference pointed out the extreme measures undertaken early on have given rise to optimism that this crisis isn't going to last for months as initially feared and the death rate may not be as high, either. The reporter seemed to think it is impossible.

The age of concern is those of us over 60 who have conditions such as diabetes or high blood pressure. For those of us retired, we can stay at home. Right now my oldest brother is at work at an Atlanta airline and I'm concerned about him being exposed.

JMO
"Extreme measures" were not taken nationwide, though. Still not taken in some areas that needed to. People travel with this bug. People are asymptomatic and spread it (hello Senate and seriously - best to Mr. Bessler - Amy Klobuchar's husband- for a speedy recovery, however he may have contracted it).

Not disagreeing with you about optimism being a good thing. Our children are missing out on their education, and that is tragedy enough for a week, let alone 8.

Last edited:
These stories are a real concern. I'm not sure if people realize just how thin our services may become and how difficult our lifestyles will be for the next (3?) months. Food deliveries have slowed to a crawl here in California while Instacart, Amazon, Costco, Sam's Club and all the grocery stores are begging for new workers.

This thing is SO contagious, most of us have never experienced anything like this (especially if you were born after 1970).
It's incredible scary. Like a movie that won't end.
I placed an Amazon.ca order today through my prime membership, and even though my items are in stock, the delivery estimate was one month away,instead of the regular 3 days. I contacted customer support, and they said that operations are very slow due to COVID-19. I'm not in a rush for anything, it was just craft supplies to keep myself busy but it's amazing how fast this is all happening.

When you think about how much these sports stars and celebs get paid it is disgusting. If anything good comes from this it should be a massive appreciation of our everyday heroes and a backlash against the millions paid to people like footballers and actors. Sickening, really.
Some mega retailers have bumped up hourly rates by $2. I wonder what their timetable will be for reducing that $2 raise.

I do have an optimistic feeling that they may keep that new rate even after we go back to "normal." If they deserve this raise today, they deserve it. Period.
Imo

Thanks. I don't think there's anything that first responders and medical pros dread more than a triage situation. Withholding care from anyone goes against our every instinct, even when it's necessary to do so to save more lives in the end.

Still, if the choice is between two healthy people with no secondary conditions, one is a Spring break partier and the other is a 60 year old in self-isolation to prevent/reduce transmission, whose life should be saved? It shouldn't always be about age.

Ventilators have never been able to save everyone, we've known this for a years now.
It's sad that they are pushing the need for more. In my opinion it makes people believe that they can all be saved if they are lucky enough be put on one.
Ventilators can cause more problems than you came in with.

"It has been widely publicized among the medical community that ederly people just don't react to mechanical ventilation as well as younger people do. Even younger people can have life long effects from being in a ventilator."

"Analyzing 35,000 intubations of adults over age 65, data gathered from 262 hospitals between 2008 and 2015, Dr. Ouchi and his colleagues found that a third of those patients die in the hospital despite intubation (also called “mechanical ventilation”)."

Breathing Tubes Fail to Save Many Older Patients

Researchers find why ICU ventilation can cause brain damage
Researchers find why ICU ventilation can cause brain damage

Moo

Still, if the choice is between two healthy people with no secondary conditions, one is a Spring break partier and the other is a 60 year old in self-isolation to prevent/reduce transmission, whose life should be saved? It shouldn't always be about age.
That's what angers me. I want to be here for many reasons but soooo look forward to our 1st Grandchild this summer. I have a lot of living left to do. I turned 36 today. OK I lied it is my Birthday but I reversed the numbers :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x