Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the attached data, only 3 states has of yet tested over 20% of their per capita population. Clearly we dont we have a clue based on data.
Due to the overwhelming data coming out of hospitals, we believe we have extensive community transmission that will eventually translate into some percentage of deaths.

The perception I got from the presser, and was horrified is that we might be ok with a 1% fatality rate so everyone get back to work.

The speakers at today's press briefing made it clear there are a few states much more dramatically affected and that is why federal resources are prioritizing their needs. The number of people tested for the virus is irrelevant. They are going by the number of people positive or presumptive positive and the anticipated health care anticipated. Why should manufacturing of sterile masks by 3M in Valley Nebraska shut down if nobody has died here and there is no health care shortage here but more than 12,000 cases are in New York State and hospitals are overwhelmed. That makes no sense to me.

The source for data should only be the CDC. Their data shows most extensive community transmissions have been in highly concentrated populated areas. Bryan Pitts just announced on Nightline that New York has replaced Washington as the epicenter in the U.S. The feds have sent 400 more ventilators to NYC. As well it should. I'm all for the military hospital ships going to California and New York.

JMO

From the CDC: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Transmission
Situation in U.S.
Different parts of the country are seeing different levels of COVID-19 activity. The United States nationally is currently in the initiation phases, but states where community spread is occurring are in the acceleration phase. The duration and severity of each phase can vary depending on the characteristics of the virus and the public health response.

WASHINGTON

Washington coronavirus: Care home nurse tells of sudden ways the virus struck her patients - CNN
[...]

"It's something that I witnessed in all of them (the patients). They have, like ... allergy eyes. The white part of the eye is not red. It's more like they have red eye shadow on the outside of their eyes," Earnest said.

The American Academy of Ophthalmology sent an alert to its members Sunday evening that there are reports Covid-19 can lead to conjunctivitis -- which can lead to a reddening of and around the eyes. It warned ophthalmologists to protect their mouth, nose and eyes when seeing patients who could be infected.

Eye issues are not on the list of symptoms being circulated by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that stresses a high fever, dry cough and shortness of breath, though the list is not all-inclusive.

[...]

"We've had patients that just had the red eyes as the only symptom that we saw and go to the hospital and pass away," she said.
"I've even had the disaster medical control physician say, 'Do they have the red eyes?' And I will say yes. And he'll say, 'I'll find you a bed.' It's just something about this, the way that it affects these patients."

[...]

Earnest said she didn't know the patients at the Kirkland home well -- she was the director of nursing at a sister facility -- but she had no hesitation when she heard the call for volunteers to staff the center where a patient had tested positive for Covid-19.

And, like the rest of America, she didn't know what havoc coronavirus would bring.

What she saw will haunt her.

By day the elderly patents at the nursing home had good vital signs. By night all hell broke loose. Earnest worked nights.

[...]

Nancy Butner, vice president of Life Care Centers of America's Northwest Division, said the average age of those who died was 80.
Tears welled in her eyes as she thought of those lost.
"Just the patients ... losing them. Because we've lived with them for so long. It's hard," said Butner, who had been director at the Kirkland center for 14 years.

[...]

"We all work very closely," Earnest said as she began to tear up. "You have caregiving staff that are very close to their residents. We hug them, we kiss them, we love them."

[...]

It is also my understanding, that the alarmist death rates thrown all about creation, simply are not bearing true in terms of the statistical data.

In fact, the data coming out of Italy shows, as we've known for some time, that the highest at risk population is above 80 years old AND having a co-occurring condition.

So it is incumbent upon us to do our part moving forward, so as to lessen the burden on our hospitals, and front line health care staff, and more importantly, to save the lives of our senior citizens.
Italy also has a large percentage of their population elderly.

I think the death rates are tied to whether there is adequate health care facilities to provide care. ABC's program Nightline tonight showed patients in a hospital in Spain literally lying on the bare floor in a hospital corridor.

JMO

FLORIDA...Flyers from NY, NJ, or CT must self quarantine for 14 days. He can't control beaches, so he says. How is he gonna control this?

TALLAHASSEE, Fla — Despite growing calls for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to issue a statewide stay-at-home order to limit the spread of COVID-19 coronavirus, he said that would "not be advisable."

"I think given our circumstances, [a statewide stay-at-home order] would not be advisable," DeSantis said. "It would be a very blunt instrument. When you're ordering people to shelter in place, you are consigning a number -- probably hundreds of thousands of Floridians to lose their jobs, you're throwing their lives into potential disarray."

"And if that were something that were necessary statewide because the health comes first, that would be one thing, but if you look at Florida's situation right now, this is not a virus that's impacting every corner of the state. We have 20 counties that have zero cases at all, and we have about 25 counties that really only have a few cases."

But what the state can do now, DeSantis said, is to require people on domestic flights flying in from the New York City region -- a coronavirus hotspot -- to self-isolate for 14 days.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis issues order for New York-area travelers to self-isolate
Can’t help but wonder how The Villages, retirement community, is reacting to the FL governor.

Every individual has to decide what's best for them, and every country has to decide what's best for their society. If the US can return to business as usual next week, that's great. The Canada / USA border will likely remain closed until there is a vaccine if nothing is done to control transmission in the US.
Nobody has said the US intends to return to business as usual next week.

'All in Seattle' group raises $27 million for people and businesses impact by coronavirus
The fundraising effort by 'All in Seattle' collected $27 million in just 72 hours.

“The funds will go towards people in need of food, shelter, or rent relief and help small businesses facing closure or severe setbacks.

The grassroots effort is not collecting the money directly, but instead connecting donations with existing organizations to quickly disperse the funds.”

___

Real-time updates: 110 coronavirus deaths among 2,221 cases in Washington
20 seconds ago

“3:10 p.m.

There are now 110 coronavirus deaths among at least 2,221 overall cases in Washington, the Washington State Department of Health reports. A total of 31,712 people (93% of tests) have tested negative for the virus.

The new total number of cases is up more than 200 from over the weekend. “

[...]

“People can donate money and medical gear to UW Medicine for staff providing care for the growing numbers of patients with COVID-19. The organization has set up a website with more information about where to donate face shields, face masks, goggles and other equipment. People can also use the website to leave messages of encouragement to the staff.”

NEW YORK

Quiet island amid coronavirus response; NY hospitals to add capacity as cases top 20,000
[...]

The only businesses that were allowed to be open — including convenience stores, supermarkets, pharmacies — had packed parking lots with people looking to stock up for what to some seemed almost like a local version of Armageddon.

As the region came to its greatest standstill yet amid the crisis, the number of cases in New York State soared past 20,000, making it the epicenter in the United States and outpacing countries such as France and South Korea in number of cases. Long Island, one of the hot spots, accounted for nearly 4,000 of those cases.

Deborah Birx, the response coordinator for the White House coronavirus task force, urged New Yorkers to follow social distancing measures, noting the state’s high infection rate compared with other states.

"The New York metro area of New Jersey, New York City and parts of Long Island have an attack rate close to one in 1,000. This is five times what the other areas are seeing,” Birx said at a White House briefing. “So to all of my friends and colleagues in New York, this is the group that needs to absolutely social distance and self-isolate at this time."

[...]

I'm kind of surprised and shocked that the parks are jam packed.

Largely because I walked by a smaller park yesterday and I wouldn't describe it as "full", plus the internal playground was empty... though of course, yesterday I grant it was cold.

I also walked by a large outdoor basketball court and it was empty; so I think from that I had gotten an inflated sense of confidence about self-quarantining against gathering in public places.

Do we know if there is any damage left from this virus health-wise?
It attacks your lungs, and a lot of times it is really bad. I'm just wondering if these people that recover a bad case (ICU) if they will have unhealthy lungs from here on out.

Do we know if there is any damage left from this virus health-wise?
It attacks your lungs, and a lot of times it is really bad. I'm just wondering if these people that recover a bad case (ICU) if they will have unhealthy lungs from here on out.

Acute respiratory distress syndrome is one of the consequences of the virus. Treatment sounds similar to coronavirus intensive care patients - prone position as distress increases.

"In The Lancet Respiratory Medicine, Kollengode Ramanathan and colleagues provide excellent recommendations for the use of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) for patients with respiratory failure from acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) secondary to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)."

gr1.jpg

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30127-2/fulltext

I am so appalled and discouraged today. I am so fed up with people treating their time off as a two week vacation.

In Utah I am still seeing people, young and old, running around and gathering.

IMO, it will come down to people taking responsibility for their own health. The rest obviously don't care and never will.

Rant off. Heading to bed.

Praying and hoping for a miracle.

Acute respiratory distress syndrome is one of the consequences of the virus.

"In The Lancet Respiratory Medicine, Kollengode Ramanathan and colleagues provide excellent recommendations for the use of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) for patients with respiratory failure from acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) secondary to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)."​

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30127-2/fulltext
Thanks! I do understand that and it is treated with meds. But I was just asking about people's lives after contracting this virus. I was wondering, Will they be more susceptible to pneumonia and other lung related illnesses?
Some of these are young children and young adults that will be dealing with this the rest of their lives, if that is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
podreal