Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After working the past four night shifts in a nursing facility, I believe the virus has already been transmitted to many people. While the social distancing, self lock-down, is still a great thing, this virus has been spreading longer than we were aware of it. IMHO.

Thanks for doing what you do, working with the elderly.

Heads up that even though S. Korea has made excellent progress in many ways, moo, there have been some recent flare ups in the nursing facilities in S. Korea and I thought that was very important to note going forward as we study and learn from the data. I posted about this last night.

My thoughts today have been on the same thing you mentioned, it’s been around a while, moo.

Think about the 5 million people alone that left Wuhan very early on, not to mention many other things, jmo.

Reference:

SHANGHAI — For weeks after the first reports of a mysterious new virus in Wuhan, millions of people poured out of the central Chinese city, cramming onto buses, trains and planes as the first wave of China’s great Lunar New Yearmigration broke across the nation. Some carried with them the new virus that has since claimed over 8 00 lives and sickened more than 37,000 people.

Officials finally began to seal the borders on Jan. 23. But it was too late. Speaking to reporters a few days after the the city was put under quarantine, the mayor estimated that 5 million people had already left.”

Millions left Wuhan, China before coronavirus quarantine - Washington Times

Last edited:
FLORIDA...Flyers from NY, NJ, or CT must self quarantine for 14 days. He can't control beaches, so he says. How is he gonna control this?

TALLAHASSEE, Fla — Despite growing calls for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to issue a statewide stay-at-home order to limit the spread of COVID-19 coronavirus, he said that would "not be advisable."

"I think given our circumstances, [a statewide stay-at-home order] would not be advisable," DeSantis said. "It would be a very blunt instrument. When you're ordering people to shelter in place, you are consigning a number -- probably hundreds of thousands of Floridians to lose their jobs, you're throwing their lives into potential disarray."

"And if that were something that were necessary statewide because the health comes first, that would be one thing, but if you look at Florida's situation right now, this is not a virus that's impacting every corner of the state. We have 20 counties that have zero cases at all, and we have about 25 counties that really only have a few cases."

But what the state can do now, DeSantis said, is to require people on domestic flights flying in from the New York City region -- a coronavirus hotspot -- to self-isolate for 14 days.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis issues order for New York-area travelers to self-isolate

This governor needs to take leadership training from the governor in Nevada, who had counties with no cases, but could see the numbers get out of control in high density areas. He shut down all non essential businesses.

The governor of Florida has an opportunity here. If he doesn't step up, which, I think is already too late, given the high percentage of elderly people in Florida. I just can't believe the level of denial here.

GEORGIA.....YOU GO GIRL!

Thank you @BrianKempGA for the updated state guidelines. Based upon our density & specific needs/concerns in Atlanta, I’ve signed a 14 day Stay at Home Order. As of now, this does not include essential businesses, parks, @AtlantaBeltLine & restaurants serving takeout. Keisha Lance Bottoms on Twitter

Keisha Lance Bottoms on Twitter

All playgrounds were closed here today. The virus lives on metal and plastic for up to 3 days, and young children don't know how to remain 6 feet apart.

BBM. That might be your opinion but you are incorrect. The best way to flatten the curve is to try to curb community spread via self-isolation by those who know they may have been exposed. The point of origin might be unknown if the person has been traveling but once they arrive in the community, if they don't self-isolate they will continue to spread it. Nebraska's very first case was a 36-yo woman who had traveled to the UK with family. Days after she returned to Nebraska, she attended a basketball game at a YMCA attended by hundreds of people. All in attendance were asked to self-isolate.

The health departments are coordinating data about community spread because people are asymptomatic yet contagious.
It is essential the data be collected and shared. People need to know they may have been exposed and should self-isolate. That is the only way the curve will be flattened.
JMO

The virus that causes COVID-19 seems to be spreading easily and sustainably in the community (“community spread”) in some affected geographic areas.

Community spread
means people have been infected with the virus in an area, including some who are not sure how or where they became infected.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Transmission

Douglas County reports 8 new COVID-19 cases; Lancaster county, Buffalo County each report 2nd case
Health officials say the 48-year-old man visited these locations before he became symptomatic:
  • Charleston’s Restaurant, 7540 Dodge St. in Omaha, March 15, 1 to 2:30 p.m.
  • Freezing Moo, 7538 Dodge St. in Omaha, March 15, 2:30 to 3 p.m.
Anyone who visited the locations at the times and dates listed are advised to monitor themselves for symptoms for 14 days. Those who develop symptoms should contact their health care providers for further direction.

just playing devils advocate as I don’t know anything about the Nebraska scenarios above other than what your post shows.. is it known that the woman who traveled to UK with her family contracted it in UK (but her family did not?)? And how do we know that she did not contract it while back in the States from an asymptomatic person who has never been tested but has it. Could it be that she is not the first infected but the first to test positive? This is where I struggle with the idea of only tracing back and not having the entire community self isolate.

moo, IMO...

CHINA

Reuters: BEIJING GOVT SAYS ALL OVERSEAS ARRIVALS WILL BE SUBJECT TO CENTRALISED QUARANTINE AND NUCLEIC ACID TEST FROM MARCH 25 - OFFICIAL MEDIA
Vincent Lee on Twitter

I guess this is how China kept their numbers down.

"Shanghai ordered people arriving in the city from other countries to undergo nucleic acid testing (NAT) to screen for coronavirus from Monday, local authorities said.

The new measure will expand a program that previously only applied to those coming from 24 heavily-hit countries, no matter their nationality, according to the municipal government's press conference on Sunday.

From Monday, inbound flight passengers from non-key countries to Shanghai will also need to undergo NAT, temperature checks, epidemiological investigation and verification of their health declaration forms."​

Shanghai requires all international arrivals to undergo nucleic acid testing - Chinadaily.com.cn

ILLINOIS.....see attached chart.....have NOT received much.

Since the beginning I’ve promised you transparency and honesty on all aspects of our response.
To that end, I want to take a moment now to run you through our PPE requests with the federal government, and what we’ve received from them.
One way or another, we need these supplies — and I have a whole team of people whose singular focus right now is working the phones across the world to get as much PPE as possible shipped to Illinois.

Governor JB Pritzker on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200323_231536.jpg
    IMG_20200323_231536.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 19
BBM. That might be your opinion but you are incorrect. The best way to flatten the curve is to try to curb community spread via self-isolation by those who know they may have been exposed. The point of origin might be unknown if the person has been traveling but once they arrive in the community, if they don't self-isolate they will continue to spread it. Nebraska's very first case was a 36-yo woman who had traveled to the UK with family. Days after she returned to Nebraska, she attended a basketball game at a YMCA attended by hundreds of people. All in attendance were asked to self-isolate.

The health departments are coordinating data about community spread because people are asymptomatic yet contagious.
It is essential the data be collected and shared. People need to know they may have been exposed and should self-isolate. That is the only way the curve will be flattened.
JMO

The virus that causes COVID-19 seems to be spreading easily and sustainably in the community (“community spread”) in some affected geographic areas.

Community spread
means people have been infected with the virus in an area, including some who are not sure how or where they became infected.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Transmission

Douglas County reports 8 new COVID-19 cases; Lancaster county, Buffalo County each report 2nd case
Health officials say the 48-year-old man visited these locations before he became symptomatic:
  • Charleston’s Restaurant, 7540 Dodge St. in Omaha, March 15, 1 to 2:30 p.m.
  • Freezing Moo, 7538 Dodge St. in Omaha, March 15, 2:30 to 3 p.m.
Anyone who visited the locations at the times and dates listed are advised to monitor themselves for symptoms for 14 days. Those who develop symptoms should contact their health care providers for further direction.

just playing devils advocate as I don’t know anything about the Nebraska scenarios above other than what your post shows.. is it known that the woman who traveled to UK with her family contracted it in UK (but her family did not?)? And how do we know that she did not contract it while back in the States from an asymptomatic person who has never been tested but has it. Could it be that she is not the first infected but the first to test positive? This is where I struggle with the idea of only tracing back and not having the entire community self isolate.

moo, IMO...

That's the piece that is missing. In the USA, the drug is going to be given to sick people without proper testing. Maybe drug testing was done in China too, apparently nothing worked.

There is no cure, no medicine and very little knowledge in general about COVID19. They will learn lessons after the fact, this is totally unprecedented in every way.

FLORIDA...Flyers from NY, NJ, or CT must self quarantine for 14 days. He can't control beaches, so he says. How is he gonna control this?

TALLAHASSEE, Fla — Despite growing calls for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to issue a statewide stay-at-home order to limit the spread of COVID-19 coronavirus, he said that would "not be advisable."

"I think given our circumstances, [a statewide stay-at-home order] would not be advisable," DeSantis said. "It would be a very blunt instrument. When you're ordering people to shelter in place, you are consigning a number -- probably hundreds of thousands of Floridians to lose their jobs, you're throwing their lives into potential disarray."

"And if that were something that were necessary statewide because the health comes first, that would be one thing, but if you look at Florida's situation right now, this is not a virus that's impacting every corner of the state. We have 20 counties that have zero cases at all, and we have about 25 counties that really only have a few cases."

But what the state can do now, DeSantis said, is to require people on domestic flights flying in from the New York City region -- a coronavirus hotspot -- to self-isolate for 14 days.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis issues order for New York-area travelers to self-isolate

Those words from DeSantis won't age well.

GEORGIA.....YOU GO GIRL!

Thank you @BrianKempGA for the updated state guidelines. Based upon our density & specific needs/concerns in Atlanta, I’ve signed a 14 day Stay at Home Order. As of now, this does not include essential businesses, parks, @AtlantaBeltLine & restaurants serving takeout. Keisha Lance Bottoms on Twitter

Keisha Lance Bottoms on Twitter
My nextdoor feed has been full of complaints about crowding on the beltline, people not distancing. We need parks but I dont trust people to behave properly. I was in an Atl park yesterday. 7 runners ran right past me. Had to keep looking behind my back to spot them so I could dodge out of the way but was not able to get more than a few feet by the time they got to me. And there were several people I passed on a path about as wide as the beltline that would have walked right next to me if I had not gotten out of Dodge. Ran into a man I know and he just kept coming closer and talking to me and closer and closer. I took the bottle of alcohol spray out of my pocket and told him if he came in closer I was going to spray him!

I'm not sure but I think he's been given a 'time out' by Trump since he has a bad habit of buzz killing some of Trump's statements. He wasn't there tonight but he's not powerless. He has Twitter and more importantly he has facts and reasoning on his side. Today after the briefing on NBC.

Fauci predicts Americans will likely need to stay home for at least several more weeks
“I cannot see that all of a sudden, next week or two weeks from now it's going to be over. I don't think there's a chance of that," he said.
nbcnews.com
I will be surprised if he’s been given a time out. That statement he made wasn’t from today, he said that on Friday. I don’t think we heard from him today. Maybe he’s being tested for CV.

We didn’t hear from Dr. Birx yesterday. We find out today that she was tested because she had a fever.

See Trump's reaction when he heard one of his top docs was tested for coronavirus

The Trump administration's coronavirus task force had a moment of levity Monday when President Donald Trump playfully walked away from Dr. Deborah Birx, a panel member, after she revealed that she had a fever over the weekend and was tested for the virus.

Have you been able to stop touching your face? I fear that unless I strap my arms down, I will be forever feeling a hair on my cheek that needs to be brushed away
Try getting 5 and 7 year old boys to comply! I swear they must think their mom has gone completely insane. I mean I’m always “raggin” on them to wash their hands, blow their nose, not eat boogers... etc but the naggin and ragging has been put into high gear

Last edited:
SOUTH CAROLINA

ROCK HILL, S.C. (WCIV) — Winthrop University confirmed to ABC News 4 that a student tested positive for COVID.
The school said it learned on Monday that the student was inside a residence hall on March 17th to pick up belongings during spring break.

Officials said that once the student noticed symptoms of the coronavirus, that person followed DHEC protocol and sought medical assistance.

Precautions are being taken inside the hall to sanitize areas. Others who may have come into contact with that student are being notified.
Winthrop University says student tested positive for COVID-19

Because it spreads.And places not yet in trouble soon will be.
ILLINOIS.....see attached chart.....have NOT received much.

Since the beginning I’ve promised you transparency and honesty on all aspects of our response.
To that end, I want to take a moment now to run you through our PPE requests with the federal government, and what we’ve received from them.
One way or another, we need these supplies — and I have a whole team of people whose singular focus right now is working the phones across the world to get as much PPE as possible shipped to Illinois.

This is my Governor. I feel for him. He is desperately trying to protect us. He acknowledged early on he brought in many people smarter than him, to consult with, do the legwork. The man is not too proud to ask for help. My heart will break if it goes out of control. There is only so much he can do. He also spoke today about having to compete on bids for supplies against other countries and our Federal Govt. Shame. We were warned, 1st case in the US was same day as South Korea. Completely different responses.

Updated at 8:03 p.m. ET

“On Monday evening, President Trump stressed what he called the need to reopen America for business even as he said the government also would continue tackling the spiraling coronavirus pandemic.

The White House's team will make an assessment after next week as to how effective social distancing and other mitigation measures have been in stifling the spread of the virus, said Vice President Pence.

It's possible at that time that Washington could lift some of the restrictions that have paralyzed the economy, Trump and Pence suggested, but they offered no guarantees and the details weren't clear.

Trump said that he didn't know when life would get back to normal but said it would be "a lot sooner than three or four months" and that he didn't want the pandemic to disrupt the nation so badly that today's economic foundering curdles into a depression.

"We're not going to let the cure be worse than the problem," Trump said.”

Trump Stresses Need To Reopen America While Continuing To Fight The Coronavirus

Last edited:
CNN and MSNBC feature Dr Anthony Fauci. He is respected by both cable networks as well as reasonable Americans. He won't be stifled. Science, facts, logic and reason are what we require to survive. I trust he will give his all.
Yes, I think he is giving his all. He even said he wasn’t being muzzled. But yet here we are with that narrative.

CARLOS DEL RIO....Executive Associate Dean for Emory at Grady Health....Atlanta, GA

"And while ⁦@DrTedros⁩ says the #COVID19 pandemic is accelerating and the US cases are rapidly increasing as are deaths Trump says in his press conference he is “thinking about ending all restrictions because the flu kills more people”. OMG! Has he lost his mind?" Carlos del Rio on Twitter
Carlos del Rio on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member