Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an RN at a hospital in the Denver METRO area. I just got home from my 2nd day in a row on the floor (no COVID patients 0n my floor but we did have a confirmed 'negative who discharged yesterday) and here's what I can say as of now:

*We have 6 confirmed present. The 'worst' is a late 50's with extensive history of asthma. Do with that info what you will.
*We have 4 recovered/discharged. Yay!
*We have 72 pending.
*We do have a bit of an issue with PPE but most of that is due to VISITORS who were stealing masks left and right 1-2 weeks ago.
*No visitors allowed whatsoever.

We have been transferring patients around to open floors for 'Coronaville'. Please pardon the term but... to work in healthcare you MUST have a sense of humor. I do NOT work in a Coronaville.

A lot of us joke around we want to have COVID parties like they used to have chicken pox parties back in the day.

We are NOT freaking out. But I did stop at the liquor store on the way home. Cuz everyone else is freaking out.

We were issued letters from "corporate" which act like hall-passes to show cops (or whoever) should we get stopped going to/from work. They expire May 31.

That's all I got.

Stay well and wash yo hands!
Many thanks to you and your humorous co-workers. Sorry that sucky people stole your masks :(

After working the past four night shifts in a nursing facility, I believe the virus has already been transmitted to many people. While the social distancing, self lock-down, is still a great thing, this virus has been spreading longer than we were aware of it. IMHO.

We'll agree to disagree. If a trial drug helps improve even a single patient's condition, imo, that is "evidence." The point of the trials is to find out which drugs are most effective.

JMO
That's not evidence of anything, because some patients improve without any drugs. That's why clinical trials have large number of people, and group given the drugs is compared with group given placebo.

After working the past four night shifts in a nursing facility, I believe the virus has already been transmitted to many people. While the social distancing, self lock-down, is still a great thing, this virus has been spreading longer than we were aware of it. IMHO.
How are you holding up? Feeling okay yourself?

I'm not sure but I think he's been given a 'time out' by Trump since he has a bad habit of buzz killing some of Trump's statements. He wasn't there tonight but he's not powerless. He has Twitter and more importantly he has facts and reasoning on his side. Today after the briefing on NBC.

Fauci predicts Americans will likely need to stay home for at least several more weeks
“I cannot see that all of a sudden, next week or two weeks from now it's going to be over. I don't think there's a chance of that," he said.
nbcnews.com
CNN and MSNBC feature Dr Anthony Fauci. He is respected by both cable networks as well as reasonable Americans. He won't be stifled. Science, facts, logic and reason are what we require to survive. I trust he will give his all.

When I called ours, and told her we would pay her for March, April, and through May, if it lasts that long, she was full of gratitude. She called everyone else, who wants her to come, including three health care providers.

She is really trying to decide what to do.

Self employed cleaner here getting cancellations, only one so far offered to pay, a college professor.
So thoughtful and kind of you to think of her

I think it important to understand viral transmission in general, and to gain greater insight in to statistical analysis, infection rates, and death rates of various ailments and disease.

I have seen no hysteria relative to the terrible, terrible, death numbers from influenza. Are you not concerned?

So I am to be called snarky I presume, sorry.

I do not think hysteria, panic, and overall reactionary behaviors are helpful moving forward.

peace :)

ITA. Hysteria and panic are good ways for the media to politicize any issue and turn it into click-bait.

JMO

FLORIDA...Flyers from NY, NJ, or CT must self quarantine for 14 days. He can't control beaches, so he says. How is he gonna control this?

TALLAHASSEE, Fla — Despite growing calls for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to issue a statewide stay-at-home order to limit the spread of COVID-19 coronavirus, he said that would "not be advisable."

"I think given our circumstances, [a statewide stay-at-home order] would not be advisable," DeSantis said. "It would be a very blunt instrument. When you're ordering people to shelter in place, you are consigning a number -- probably hundreds of thousands of Floridians to lose their jobs, you're throwing their lives into potential disarray."

"And if that were something that were necessary statewide because the health comes first, that would be one thing, but if you look at Florida's situation right now, this is not a virus that's impacting every corner of the state. We have 20 counties that have zero cases at all, and we have about 25 counties that really only have a few cases."

But what the state can do now, DeSantis said, is to require people on domestic flights flying in from the New York City region -- a coronavirus hotspot -- to self-isolate for 14 days.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis issues order for New York-area travelers to self-isolate

What interests me, is not the ongoing escalating numbers of people who have caught COVID19, but what about the people in the community, or same household, who DID NOT get infected with COVID19?

I would be interested in what makes those people different from the rest. Did they eat more garlic? I don't know. Grasping at straws here.

That's not evidence of anything, because some patients improve without any drugs. That's why clinical trials have large number of people, and group given the drugs is compared with group given placebo.

That's the piece that is missing. In the USA, the drug is going to be given to sick people without proper testing. Maybe drug testing was done in China too, apparently nothing worked.

GEORGIA.....YOU GO GIRL!

Thank you @BrianKempGA for the updated state guidelines. Based upon our density & specific needs/concerns in Atlanta, I’ve signed a 14 day Stay at Home Order. As of now, this does not include essential businesses, parks, @AtlantaBeltLine & restaurants serving takeout. Keisha Lance Bottoms on Twitter

Keisha Lance Bottoms on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200323_230409.jpg
    IMG_20200323_230409.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 3
Maybe the Chinese government is manipulating the data. JMO

That would assume a great deal of fore knowledge about how the Novel Covid-19 would behave. I don't think that's likely, given that this is a completely new virus. China really has no good reason to try to do that. In order to manage the virus within their own country, they need accurate data as much as any other nation in the world.

Sadly, I think that there is a bit of a spitting match between China and the US. I don't notice other world leaders casting China's situation into doubt quite like what I see in the US.

Well here I am, trying to go to sleep and the tears keep flowing. I’m the strong one in the family so you all here are all I have to lean on. My governor (MI) closed us down today and my president spins a new tune. I am confused. I am healthy but my heart breaks for those dying and suffering. Thank you for being here.

Maybe the Chinese government is manipulating the data. JMO

My point is that every country will manipulate the data in the same way. So many people will be tested, so many will come back positive, and, of those, 20% (all ages) will need hospital care and some will die.

I don't think that China monkeyed with the numbers. In Italy, people over 60 are triaged to second tier. They will not be tested, but told to go home and self-quarantine. Some will die because they do not have access to health care. They will not be counted in the number of deaths unless they have been tested - but why waste a test on someone who will not receive care when there's a test and care shortage?

If someone becomes infected with COVID-19 to the point they need a ventilator, they aren't healthy. The decision will be based on many factors such as whether the patient can improve so that they can survive when taken OFF the ventilator. Ventilators are a treatment, not a cure.

JMO
This is true. The time I was intubated for eight days - ICU treatment team had previously attempted to take me off the respirator without success. I returned to seizing uncontrollably and placed back under stat! I have a DNR and Advanced Directive by Proxy via my daughter. If not for the blessings of a miracle - another unsuccessful attempt at resuscitation to breathe on my own would have been the last. Later, after my nurses (May God bless every single angel of white light and mercy on this earth) told me what medication I’m given each time I go under - I kinda freaked out. I’d heard that word before. Scared me.
Diprovan. They explained the benefits outweighed the risks when used properly with a ventilator. But still. Diprovan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader