Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the attached data, only 3 states has of yet tested over 20% of their per capita population. Clearly we dont we have a clue based on data.
Due to the overwhelming data coming out of hospitals, we believe we have extensive community transmission that will eventually translate into some percentage of deaths.

The perception I got from the presser, and was horrified is that we might be ok with a 1% fatality rate so everyone get back to work.

A lot of people don't realize just how many 1% will be, to them, personally. If I knew I had a 1% chance of being shot by a sniper if I went out of the house, I think I'd shelter in place.

At my age, it's probably more like 2-3%. Sobering.

WISCONSIN

Wisconsin Pushes Forward With April 7 Primary Despite Coronavirus
More than half a dozen states have pushed back presidential primaries because of the coronavirus outbreak. Wisconsin, which has a primary on April 7, hasn't. State leaders are holding on tightly to that date, despite Monday's stay-at-home order issued by Gov. Tony Evers.

[...]

One reason the state's not postponing the election: it's not just a presidential primary, there's also a statewide general election for many mayors and county officials whose decisions are crucial in coming months.

Wisconsin has no-excuse absentee voting, and people are returning absentee ballots at a record pace. There's also curbside in-person voting in some areas and an emergency operations center task group that is wrangling ballots and cleaning supplies. Evers announced an effort to recruit high school and college students as poll workers.

The state is also grappling with problems, like how to process all those absentee ballots. The state elections commission asked Evers to address a shortage of cleaning supplies, the absence of comprehensive public health guidance and a lack of poll workers, half of whom are over 60.

[...]

For his part, Milwaukeean August "Augie" Ray, has no intention of changing his plans.

"I am 83 years old, and I have voted in every election that I was eligible to vote in," he says. "And I intend to vote in the upcoming election in April, and I intend to vote at the polls."

If the polls are still open on April 7, Ray says he'll walk two blocks to his polling place and bring a sanitizer wipe.

I would also like to add, it is my understanding, that moving forward, the ideas that have been put out there, for all of us, the social distancing, the washing of hands, the refraining from touching one's face, the cleaning of surfaces, all these things, will be behaviors that we will likely be carrying forward in our lives for the foreseeable future, if not much longer, possibly forever.

Have you been able to stop touching your face? I fear that unless I strap my arms down, I will be forever feeling a hair on my cheek that needs to be brushed away

TEXAS....

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (R) was just on Fox saying he agrees with Trump. He cast it as an opportunity for seniors to sacrifice in order to keep the country intact for their grandchildren. “Let's get back to living... And those of us that are 70+, we'll take care of ourselves.”

Felicia Sonmez on Twitter

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick:
“What I'm living in fear of is what's happening to this country…‘Are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren?' And if that's the exchange I'm all in" JM Rieger on Twitter
JM Rieger on Twitter

Do you believe China's numbers are accurate? I'm just curious, not baiting.

I suspect that in China there are more people who had the virus and more people who died, however of those who were tested, 81,000, fewer than 4000 died. I suspect that triaging was in place in China fairly early, as it has been in Italy. Therefore, mortality rates in China were higher for those over age 60 and especially for those over age 80.

Unfortunately, those mortality rates, based on triaging, led people under 60 to believe that they were immune from the virus. Not true.

I think all countries will do the same thing. So many people will be tested, so many will die, some will be sick and not be tested, and some will die without knowing it was the virus.

What I mean is that I don't think the stats will be calculated any differently in other countries than they were in China.

In fact, when it's all in the rearview mirror, some people might still incorrectly believe that older people were more prone to dying, when the truth is that older people were triaged out of receiving treatment. With treatment, their mortality rate might be the same as the 20-54 age group.

Every individual has to decide what's best for them, and every country has to decide what's best for their society. If the US can return to business as usual next week, that's great. The Canada / USA border will likely remain closed until there is a vaccine if nothing is done to control transmission in the US.
Please don't blame this virus on the U.S. or blame the transmission on the U.S.

President Trump did not say the entire US will return to "business as usual." Leaders in each state make those decisions about what is in the best interest of their citizens.

JMO

The Canada/USA border is only closed only to non-essential travel. That's it: The border remains open for essential travel, which includes the transportation of goods and travel for work, in order to not hamper trade and the supply chains between the two countries.

Canada-U.S. land border closes to all non-essential travel

A lot of people don't realize just how many 1% will be, to them, personally. If I knew I had a 1% chance of being shot by a sniper if I went out of the house, I think I'd shelter in place.

At my age, it's probably more like 2-3%. Sobering.

Exactly. 1/100 chance that it will be you, maybe 3/100, or exponential transmission, might really change the odds, especially if many in the community are infected.

Going from memory, but 60-69 was 3.6%, 70-79 was 8%, over 80 was something like 12-15%. It's somewhere on this page - scroll down

Coronavirus Update (Live): 378,912 Cases and 16,515 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

BBM-- I remember you saying that last week so I posted a birthday song/post for you in another thread.
Hope you your birthday wishes come true !!!

Thank you SO much! You are so sweet (I'm heading off to that thread).

And for what it's worth, I did get a unicorn for my birthday - my 9 year old granddaughter was wearing her Unicorn robe and we face timed. Face timing is strange because our faces are so close together, and it's so intimate - and yet, so distant too. We discussed the intricacies of multiplying by 9 and why multiplying by 4 is tricky.

My birthday is made so much happier by people like yourself, Spartygirl!

Based on the attached data, only 3 states has of yet tested over 20% of their per capita population. Clearly we dont we have a clue based on data.
Due to the overwhelming data coming out of hospitals, we believe we have extensive community transmission that will eventually translate into some percentage of deaths.

The perception I got from the presser, and was horrified is that we might be ok with a 1% fatality rate so everyone get back to work.
It's going to be more than 1% fatality rate most likely. There is fatality rate with treatment, and then there is fatality rate without. If hospitals are overwhelmed, and can't provide treatment, fatality rate will be much higher.

Please don't blame this virus on the U.S. or blame the transmission on the U.S.

President Trump did not say the entire US will return to "business as usual." Leaders in each state make those decisions about what is in the best interest of their citizens.

JMO

The Canada/USA border is only closed only to non-essential travel. That's it: The border remains open for essential travel, which includes the transportation of goods and travel for work, in order to not hamper trade and the supply chains between the two countries.

Canada-U.S. land border closes to all non-essential travel

Slow down! Yes, the Canada / USA border will remain closed until there is a vaccine if transmission is not controlled in the USA. Canadians will insist, just like they insisted that the border be closed due to uncontrolled transmission in the USA today.

Canadians are afraid for their neighbours to the South. Canadian infections came from China, then Italy, Iran and then the USA. That led to the border closure excluding supply chain.

Canadian and USA policy and approach to the virus is significantly different - to be expected between different countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader