Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in Arizona, have not been on WS in many weeks (life has been busy, just regular busy, no covid19), but we are just going along, life as usual. It's nuts. Lots of cars on the road, lots of people everywhere I go. Totally irresponsible IMO - we should all be at home. I work in the legal field and where possible, they want us to stay away from the court houses, but not mandatory. That's my update.

My sister is having a bit of cabin fever. For the last 8 days, she has gone every other day to go through the "sit in your car" wash to get the pollen off of her car that accumulates from sitting in the driveway. Perhaps all those cars are headed to be washed, nawwww.

Coronavirus updates: Team USA pushes for Olympics delay as millions more ordered to stay at home
The United Kingdom went into lockdown Monday as British Prime Minister Boris Johnson tried to stem the spread of coronavirus, which has infected more than 5,000 people and killed hundreds in his country.

More American states did the same, too. Officials in Louisiana, New Mexico, Washington and West Virginia issued stay-at-home orders. “Right now, every time you leave your house, you are putting yourself, your family and your community at risk,” New Mexico Gov. Lujan Grisham said.

[...]

Coronavirus outbreak: Canada in Crisis | LIVE
Global National anchor Dawna Friesen will be joined by Global Toronto anchor Farah Nasser to take a close look at the hard facts, but also the human side of the story. Global News is comprised of individuals whose lives have been upended by the pandemic, and who work hard to carry on just like you. We too want to analyze and understand how coronavirus is impacting our lives, and what we can all do together as a community to cope, heal and move forward.

Coronavirus Rumor Control | FEMA.gov
[...]

Myth: There Is A National Lockdown And The Entire Country Will Be Quarantined For Two Weeks.
Fact: There is no national lockdown. As with all information online or shared via social media, it is important to verify the source of the information. You can find the latest information as well as links to additional resources at www.coronavirus.gov.

Myth: FEMA Has Deployed Military Assets.
Fact: No, FEMA does not have military assets. Like all emergencies, response is most successful when it is locally executed, state managed and federally supported. Each state’s governor is responsible for response activities in their state, to include establishing curfews, deploying the National Guard if needed and any other restrictions or safety measures they deem necessary for the health and welfare of their citizens.

Myth: I Need To Stockpile As Many Groceries And Supplies As I Can.
Fact: Please only buy what your family needs for a week. It is important to remember that many families may be unable to buy a supply of food and water for weeks in advance. Consumer demand has recently been exceptionally high – especially for grocery, household cleaning, and some healthcare products. Freight flows are not disrupted, but stores need time to restock.

Myth: I Heard That The Government Is Sending $1,000 Checks. How Do I Sign Up?
Fact: The U.S. Government is not mailing checks in response to COVID-19 at this time. Anyone who tells you they can get you the money now is a scammer. It’s important that you only trust information coming from official sources. The Federal Trade Commission recently provided more information about this scam and other common COVID-19 related scams on their website.

Myth: Only Those Over 60 Years Of Age And Those With Existing Health Problems Are At Risk From The Coronavirus.
Fact: It is an unfortunate rumor that only people over 60 years of age are at risk of getting this disease. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), those at higher risk include older adults and people with serious chronic medical conditions. However, symptoms can range from mild to severe with and may have different complications for each individual. The CDC has a list of COVID-19 symptoms you may experience. Please continue to follow the official information from the CDC.

[...]

I get it. There is no one person at fault here, well, unless one buys in to the theory this was released on purpose, or escaped from a lab.

It is my belief that the best statistical testing and resulting data will give those in positions of importance the information needed to best address the situation on the ground.

I think the U.S.A. now has that system of testing in place.
Based on the attached data, only 3 states has of yet tested over 20% of their per capita population. Clearly we dont we have a clue based on data.
Due to the overwhelming data coming out of hospitals, we believe we have extensive community transmission that will eventually translate into some percentage of deaths.

The perception I got from the presser, and was horrified is that we might be ok with a 1% fatality rate so everyone get back to work.

Attachments

• IMG_20200323_105157.png
    IMG_20200323_105157.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 10
Based on the attached data, only 3 states has of yet tested over 20% of their per capita population. Clearly we dont we have a clue based on data.
Due to the overwhelming data coming out of hospitals, we believe we have extensive community transmission that will eventually translate into some percentage of deaths.

The perception I got from the presser, and was horrified is that we might be ok with a 1% fatality rate so everyone get back to work.

China's mortality rate was 2.5%, and after the virus spread to other countries the mortality rate was raised to 3.4%. That was at least a week ago, so the mortality rate might be higher today. No one should expect that the mortality rate in the US will be 1%.

Agreed....the end results is deaths.....unfortunately no one can argue with those statistics.
In a month, back to work or not, we will know if our current efforts worked. I predict no, but will happily say I was wrong if magically the deaths are less than Italy or China. Not really worth arguing over. We are on a trajectory of someone dying.....
I sadly agree 100%.

There's back tracing and community spread. Back tracing means that every point of contact for the infected person can be traced and all those people are in isolation. Community spread means it's impossible to trace point of origin.

There's no point in coordinating data about community spread because it is based on random unknown points of origin.

BBM. That might be your opinion but you are incorrect. The best way to flatten the curve is to try to curb community spread via self-isolation by those who know they may have been exposed. The point of origin might be unknown if the person has been traveling but once they arrive in the community, if they don't self-isolate they will continue to spread it. Nebraska's very first case was a 36-yo woman who had traveled to the UK with family. Days after she returned to Nebraska, she attended a basketball game at a YMCA attended by hundreds of people. All in attendance were asked to self-isolate.

The health departments are coordinating data about community spread because people are asymptomatic yet contagious.
It is essential the data be collected and shared. People need to know they may have been exposed and should self-isolate. That is the only way the curve will be flattened.
JMO

The virus that causes COVID-19 seems to be spreading easily and sustainably in the community (“community spread”) in some affected geographic areas.

Community spread
means people have been infected with the virus in an area, including some who are not sure how or where they became infected.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Transmission

Douglas County reports 8 new COVID-19 cases; Lancaster county, Buffalo County each report 2nd case
Health officials say the 48-year-old man visited these locations before he became symptomatic:
  • Charleston’s Restaurant, 7540 Dodge St. in Omaha, March 15, 1 to 2:30 p.m.
  • Freezing Moo, 7538 Dodge St. in Omaha, March 15, 2:30 to 3 p.m.
Anyone who visited the locations at the times and dates listed are advised to monitor themselves for symptoms for 14 days. Those who develop symptoms should contact their health care providers for further direction.

BBM. That might be your opinion but you are incorrect. The best way to flatten the curve is to try to curb community spread via self-isolation by those who know they may have been exposed. The point of origin might be unknown if the person has been traveling but once they arrive in the community, if they don't self-isolate they will continue to spread it. Nebraska's very first case was a 36-yo woman who had traveled to the UK with family. Days after she returned to Nebraska, she attended a basketball game at a YMCA attended by hundreds of people. All in attendance were asked to self-isolate.

The health departments are coordinating data about community spread because people are asymptomatic yet contagious.
It is essential the data be collected and shared. People need to know they may have been exposed and should self-isolate. That is the only way the curve will be flattened.
JMO

The virus that causes COVID-19 seems to be spreading easily and sustainably in the community (“community spread”) in some affected geographic areas.

Community spread
means people have been infected with the virus in an area, including some who are not sure how or where they became infected.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Transmission

Douglas County reports 8 new COVID-19 cases; Lancaster county, Buffalo County each report 2nd case
Health officials say the 48-year-old man visited these locations before he became symptomatic:
  • Charleston’s Restaurant, 7540 Dodge St. in Omaha, March 15, 1 to 2:30 p.m.
  • Freezing Moo, 7538 Dodge St. in Omaha, March 15, 2:30 to 3 p.m.
Anyone who visited the locations at the times and dates listed are advised to monitor themselves for symptoms for 14 days. Those who develop symptoms should contact their health care providers for further direction.

BBM
The problem is that people are contagious before they know that they have been exposed, so self-isolation only for those who know they may have been exposed is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader