Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
WASHINGTON

NEW: Washington Gov. Jay Inslee is issuing a mandatory stay-at-home order. He had tried to beg and shame people into doing so for days but is now making it a requirement. It will be in effect for 2 weeks, his office says.

Weddings and funerals are banned.
Grocery shopping, medical visits and essential businesses are allowed.
Mike Baker on Twitter

Many thanks to you and your humorous co-workers. Sorry that sucky people stole your masks :(
No thanks needed!!! As Super Chicken? said "you knew the job was dangerous when you took it". Ha.

And they were just scared. We harbor no ill will. I have not encountered one co-worker who was/is mad about the mask/PPE shortage. It is what it is. We wash our hands and use the heck out of Purell. *Just make sure it's dry after rubbing into your hands cuz when its wet is VERY flammable!*

That would assume a great deal of fore knowledge about how the Novel Covid-19 would behave. I don't think that's likely, given that this is a completely new virus. China really has no good reason to try to do that. In order to manage the virus within their own country, they need accurate data as much as any other nation in the world.

Sadly, I think that there is a bit of a spitting match between China and the US. I don't notice other world leaders casting China's situation into doubt quite like what I see in the US.

Let’s not forget that the team from the WHO
Including members of the CDC were given full access to the raw data. According to Dr. Aylward they saw nothing to indicate China was manipulating the numbers. MOO

GEORGIA
A @Publix employee in #cumming has tested positive for #Coronavirus, according to a company news release. The employee works at the Cruse Marketplace store on
1735 Buford Hwy. The store will stay open. Georgia’s public health dept says customers are considered to be at low risk.
Courtney Bryant on Twitter

This seems very irresponsible to me. The other employees are the ones who should be tested. The store could literally be a petri dish.

CAITLIN RIVERS

This is the moment I warned of - we have sacrificed so much already, but it feels like nothing is working
. That's because it takes weeks to see results. We must stay committed and trust that the social distancing we are enduring now will save thousands of lives.

Any interventions we make today will not show up in our data for 1-2 weeks. The time it takes to show symptoms after being infected is about 5 days, and then it takes a few more days to get diagnosed and counted. For a while it will feel like nothing is working but it takes time.

Caitlin Rivers, PhD on Twitter

BBM
The problem is that people are contagious before they know that they have been exposed, so self-isolation only for those who know they may have been exposed is pointless.

Which points out the exact issue that the WHO stresses... to trace trace trace and isolate those contacts who don't know they have been exposed. Which the US is not doing.

I'm an RN at a hospital in the Denver METRO area. I just got home from my 2nd day in a row on the floor (no COVID patients 0n my floor but we did have a confirmed 'negative who discharged yesterday) and here's what I can say as of now:

*We have 6 confirmed present. The 'worst' is a late 50's with extensive history of asthma. Do with that info what you will.
*We have 4 recovered/discharged. Yay!
*We have 72 pending.
*We do have a bit of an issue with PPE but most of that is due to VISITORS who were stealing masks left and right 1-2 weeks ago.
*No visitors allowed whatsoever.

We have been transferring patients around to open floors for 'Coronaville'. Please pardon the term but... to work in healthcare you MUST have a sense of humor. I do NOT work in a Coronaville.

A lot of us joke around we want to have COVID parties like they used to have chicken pox parties back in the day.

We are NOT freaking out. But I did stop at the liquor store on the way home. Cuz everyone else is freaking out.

We were issued letters from "corporate" which act like hall-passes to show cops (or whoever) should we get stopped going to/from work. They expire May 31.

That's all I got.

Stay well and wash yo hands!

***ETA***. We've had ZERO employees test positive thus far!
I know this is generally reserved for military members but I just feel the need to say, "Thank you for your service!" :)

I am sorry to hear about your masks. Two-legged beings are awful. MOO

Which points out the exact issue that the WHO stresses... to trace trace trace and isolate those contacts who don't know they have been exposed. Which the US is not doing.

Other countries tried, but within a couple of weeks there were 1 or 2 infected people and the origin could not be traced. That meant a change from containment to community transmission. It's too late for back tracing in the USA. The first case in the USA was in Washington State on January 29, an infected young man who traveled from China. After that, many travellers and cruise passengers entered the country without any testing - spreading the virus before they knew they were contagious.

I know this is generally reserved for military members but I just feel the need to say, "Thank you for your service!" :)
please, no thanks!!!! I am NOTHING compared to our outstanding military members. But I wholly appreciate the sentiment. Now, if our patients were armed and shooting at us - I'd perhaps think different. :p

Another bat call for me to do something that I've learned from WS..... I'll be calling my pharmacy to fill my script first thing in the morning for that exact item. Thanks for the heads up Henry!

I have rescue inhaler ProAir that is always with me in my purse/pocket and ProAir RespiClick in the house. Qvar (cortico-steroidal) inhaler in the house, as well, 90-day supply.

NEW YORK

Quiet island amid coronavirus response; NY hospitals to add capacity as cases top 20,000
[...]

The only businesses that were allowed to be open — including convenience stores, supermarkets, pharmacies — had packed parking lots with people looking to stock up for what to some seemed almost like a local version of Armageddon.

As the region came to its greatest standstill yet amid the crisis, the number of cases in New York State soared past 20,000, making it the epicenter in the United States and outpacing countries such as France and South Korea in number of cases. Long Island, one of the hot spots, accounted for nearly 4,000 of those cases.

Deborah Birx, the response coordinator for the White House coronavirus task force, urged New Yorkers to follow social distancing measures, noting the state’s high infection rate compared with other states.

"The New York metro area of New Jersey, New York City and parts of Long Island have an attack rate close to one in 1,000. This is five times what the other areas are seeing,” Birx said at a White House briefing. “So to all of my friends and colleagues in New York, this is the group that needs to absolutely social distance and self-isolate at this time."

[...]

March 23, 2020 at 6:07 PM EDT

“Italy has become the flash point of the coronavirus pandemic, with a death toll at 6,077 and counting — the highest in the world. More than 2,000 Italians have been killed by the virus in the past four days alone.”

[...]

“The disaster in Italy does not stem from gross government negligence. Rather, analysts say it is partly a consequence of the weeks between the emergence of the outbreak and the government decision to absolutely lock down the population. And though many in Italy now argue that their government waited too long, democracies across the West have been mulling the same decisions — and in some cases have acted less decisively.”

-more at link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member