Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Wal-Mart from 6am to 7am.

I ventured out this morning at 6. Five minutes into my trip to Wal-Mart I encounter a mom with 3 kids.
Just as I pass the canned tomatoes, the two year old throws up. Yeap, mom keeps shopping and I hear an employee offer to get her immediately checked out. The mom said, no thanks and kept shopping. This mom is one row behind me, as I rush to grab stuff and leave. The kid or maybe another kid throws up AGAIN. As I'm heading to the checkout, I see what appears to be a manager arguing with the mom.

I wasn't happy. I realize stores can ask customers to allow over 65 to shop special hours but can not refuse others entry.

Am I wrong to be upset with this mother who choose to put others at risk?

Single mom with three little kids, trying to get some supplies before she drops the kids off at the day care, except the day care closed down, so now she had to take the kids plus supplies to her friend, then off to the hospital where she will put in a 12 hr shift, if the day goes smoothly and she can get out on time.

But it's not going smoothly already because one kid is sick. She just wants to go home and put her kids back to bed and wake up next week.

But, she's a nurse, or a doctor, or a lab worker, and she has to get to work. Others are relying on her.

We don't always know one another's stories.

Last edited:
I was embarrassed when he refused to issue a shelter-in-place order because "words matter." The health director of Oak Park, IL issued one before Governor Pritzker got around to it.

JMO

He did though - he's calling it a "stay at home" order. People had/have been getting very worked up about panicking - either they are or they are getting upset at others for "panicking". Choice of words do matter - especially when news outlets weaponize them.

DH and I talked about a scene in Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol last night. Sound familiar?

"At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge, ... it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
"Are there no prisons?"
"Plenty of prisons..."
"And the Union workhouses." demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"
"Both very busy, sir..."
"Those who are badly off must go there."
"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Critical inhaler medication shortage looms as coronavirus cases soar
I found this out today when trying to get a refill on one of my daily inhalers. None in stock.
This was one of my biggest fears when I started following all of this (in February? Feels like 10 years ago at this point). I made sure to get my son's inhalers refilled then so I have some on hand. I still have his nebulizer that he used when he was younger and I've held onto it in case of emergency. Now I'm glad I did. Very scary for people with asthma to be without their inhalers.

NJ

A bunch of famous New Jersey natives have recorded messages for the newly-launched New Jersey Pandemic Relief Fund.

New Jersey First Lady Tammy Murphy, wife of Gov. Phil Murphy, launched a relief fund Tuesday to raise money and awareness about the coronavirus outbreak.

The fund, according to the newly created website (NJPRF.org), will “marshal resources across the state to identify critical needs and fight the economic and social impact of COVID-19 on New Jersey’s vulnerable communities.”

“One hundred percent of donations received online by NJPRF will be used to fight the medical, social, and economic impact of COVID-19 on New Jersey’s most vulnerable, supporting organizations that provide essential services and aiding those on the front lines of the pandemic,” it reads.

N.J.'s First Lady, celebs launch coronavirus relief fund. Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Carli Lloyd, DeVito join video in call for help.

Home - NJ Pandemic Relief Fund

Jon Bon Jovi is writing a song about the coronavirus outbreak and he'd like your help

I grew up with Chuck Puth, Charlie's father. It is crazy seeing how far his son has come in the music world. Good for him!

Last edited:
Wow, I had that same memory yesterday, and asked my hubby if he remembers getting the polio vaccine. I remembered being in the big high school auditorium, with my family, standing in a long line, and being given a sip of water, with a funny taste. And being told it was medicine.

It is funny how the mind works, that I held on to that memory for 60 years or more...
Do you remember getting the smallpox shot in your upper arm that looked like little polka dots? I can still see mine.

CHARLESTON, SC

@JohnTecklenburg announces city wide stay at home ordinance for emergency action by city council. This would allow for the closure of non-essential businesses for 14 days @ABCNews4 #chsnews.

.@JohnTecklenburg announces temporary closure of all city parks/playgrounds and city buildings @ABCNews4 #chsnews.

.@JohnTecklenburg says curfews could be an option if voluntary compliance is not successful. Did not indicate that this could happen at this point @ABCNews4 #chsnews.

Rachel Ellis on Twitter

Last edited:
I really wish he would say something like "I really hope everyone is well enough by Easter so that we can all be up and running and back to normal". That would be optimistic and calming. Some people take his words quite literally and plan to be out that door by then. I know some people think that if a leader is that blasé about it then it might not be so serious.
How can we even think this will be over by Easter? The Olympics are postponed, and that's in late July. At least the Japanese and IOC have a handle on safety.

Oh NOOOOO....:eek:......now this makes my blood pressure spike.....I am going to cut back on the use of mine right now, saving it in case I really need it....:confused:

There are going to be shortages of ALL medications, as the ingredients/sometimes the meds are made in China and India. Both have said they need them for their own populations at the moment, may not be sending them to the North American market for some time.

My plan is to stay as well as possible and see if I 'get' this COVID19. Get through it, if possible and then, cut my medication dose in half. If I don't feel well, I'lll just have to hope there is enough at the pharmacy.

I know my druggist is limiting a few things now, when I asked for tylenol he said he 'only had two bottles'. guess that's how he's limiting it. I read that you cannot get tylenol in the UK. (paracetamol) as there was a run on it.

We live in interesting times.

How can we even think this will be over by Easter? The Olympics are postponed, and that's in late July. At least the Japanese and IOC have a handle on safety.

Maybe in 2021 things will settle into a new normal but doubt schools will start til after September. This is for the long haul folks, long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader