DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this:
Trump directs FDA to examine whether malaria drug can be used for coronavirus

KEY POINTS
  • President Trump said he directed the FDA to investigate whether an existing drug for malaria can be used to treat the coronavirus.
  • Some scientists have said the anti-malaria drug chloroquine could be a treatment for the coronavirus.
  • It is important “not to provide false hope,” FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn said at the White House’s daily press briefing on the coronavirus.
  • The World Health Organization said last month that there is “no proof” the drug is effective in treating the coronavirus

Thanks for yet another link to lay it to rest. I was flabbergasted that some tried to not just politicize the issue but to drive a wedge between key team members. Glad to see Dr. Fauci clearing the air.

All kinds of drugs the FDA approves to treat one condition are tried by doctors to treat something else "off label." The patient has to agree to it. But, the only way to get the condition added as an FDA "on label" condition is through clinical trials. It's all explained on the FDA website.

Understanding Unapproved Use of Approved Drugs "Off Label"

NJ Updated

A man is facing charges after allegedly coughing on a Wegmans employee in Manalapan and claiming he had the coronavirus, authorities said.

George Falcone, 50, of Freehold Township was charged with making terroristic threats, harassment and obstruction after officials said he refused to identify himself or provide identification to township police for more than 40 minutes, according to a news release from the state Attorney General's Office.

Gov. Phil Murphy, who mentioned the incident at a news conference Tuesday, said police responded to a call after a man was in a confrontation with a female employee of the supermarket chain and then "coughed on the woman and told her after doing so that he had the coronavirus."

The employee told Falcone, who was shopping at the Wegmans about 6:30 p.m. Sunday, that he was standing too close to her and an open display of prepared foods, according to the news release. The woman asked him to step back as she covered the food.

That request prompted Falcone to step forward to within three feet of her, lean over and "purposefully" cough. He then allegedly laughed and said he was infected with the coronavirus, according to the Attorney General's Office.

Summonses against Falcone were issued Tuesday and the Division of Criminal Justice within the Attorney General’s Office will prosecute the case.

Coronavirus NJ: Man coughed on Manalapan Wegmans worker, said he had coronavirus, AG says

I watched the Task Force news conference a short time ago and feel much less anxious and apprehensive than I did this morning. It was very positive. Drs. Birx and Fauci are inspirational. I will no longer watch or listen to any other media coverage. Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy!, and season finale of This Is Us tonight. Watched a cheesy Lifetime movie this afternoon. Much better for my overall health and well being :) Have a nice evening.
My 89 yr old Mom just called me. She felt better after this presser too.

She has felt pretty lonely for that past 2 weeks. She usually goes down to the large dining area in her Assisted Living Center for dinner. It gives her a reason to get up and get dressed nicely, and she can visit with her friends and talk about their daily lives.

But now her meals are delivered to her little apartment. And she is not allowed to go anywhere. Not even her doctors unless it is vital.

This talk about Easter gave her a mental goal. She has a time frame to focus upon. She knows it might not be possible, if the virus is still rampant, but it is a goal to look forward to, at the very least.

Each state is responsible to have their own stockpiles. That is why they have their own Department of Health, etc etc.
What do we have the federal government for then? Clearly feds have stockpiles they have been sending to various states. What they send to New York is nowhere near enough, considering the number of infections there.

THIS GIVES YOU A VISUAL THAT WE REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT WE HAVE....
OPTIMUM IS LOWER RIGHT CORNER....

"I built a web app to help visualize the great data you are generating, and have found that plotting positive-rate versus population-normalized test rate is very informative. It effectively splits the states into four quadrants. Lower right is the best place to be: "

Ross Berryhill on Twitter
Ross Berryhill on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200324_190823.jpg
    IMG_20200324_190823.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 33
Gov. Kim Reynolds defends not issuing statewide shelter-in-place order to combat coronavirus IMO-the pc with Ia. governor wasn't a very popular one. But, at least now we know how she is making her decision for no lock down in Ia. and IMO she feels that what other states are doing won't make much of a difference either. IMO-she thinks a USA wide lockdown is what will help most. Interesting too read if you have time. Sorry I don't know how to quote some of the article.

My 89 yr old Mom just called me. She felt better after this presser too.

She has felt pretty lonely for that past 2 weeks. She usually goes down to the large dining area in her Assisted Living Center for dinner. It gives her a reason to get up and get dressed nicely, and she can visit with her friends and talk about their daily lives.

But now her meals are delivered to her little apartment. And she is not allowed to go anywhere. Not even her doctors unless it is vital.

This talk about Easter gave her a mental goal. She has a time frame to focus upon. She knows it might not be possible, if the virus is still rampant, but it is a goal to look forward to, at the very least.
I'm sorry for her loneliness....and quite angers me for her to be given such an unrealistic goal as Easter. The possibility of this actually happening is nil.

And yet Seminole County doesn't even have a curfew which OC implemented last week (was it last week, @oviedo? It's all running together at this point...)

(Seminole County and Orange County are adjacent for those not familiar with FL counties. By the time this is all said and done we are going to be geography experts!)
Seminole county hasn’t issued anything that I’ve tracked - IMO - I’m waiting ....

Maybe it's also a good idea to avoid taking medical advice from someone who knows nothing about medicine. If anything helped fight the virus, every country would be talking about it, and that is not happening.

Ah, but, that would require changing all of American culture. People really prefer thinking they know more than experts and that God would not allow a disease to occur without an immediate and widely available cure (other than prayer). So people are hoarding chloroquine (the man who died may have not died if he'd taken a far, far smaller dose - there's a reason that things come as pills, with measured doses...duh).

Here are the things that people think work (but are truly iffy):

• Fermented things like Kombucha or Kimchi (not a cure, does not kill the virus)
  • Colloidal silver (serious side effects)(Acute Silver Toxicity From Colloidal Silver Overdose : American Journal of Therapeutics)
  • Hair dryers (srsly, Florida, quit with the rumors)
  • Vitamins of various kinds (they help, they do not cure)
  • Fish tank chemicals
  • Regular laundry bleach
  • Swimming pool bleach
  • Activated charcoal
  • Bourbon, tequila, mezcal, and other alcohol (temporarily kills bacteria but...not a cure)
  • Saline rinses of the nose (can't hurt, doesn't help in case of CV19 infection)
  • Sesame oil (why do people think this would work?)
  • Jalapenos and other chiles (no specific help if CV is serious; some evidence that it boosts immunity)
  • Garlic (again, may help with prevention, does not cure)
Some commonly available items do provide support for cold-type viruses, including mucous thinning pills OTC, decongestants, tylenol) and everyone should have them on hand. A person with a temperature of 103 or higher might want to think about fever reduction, but also be thinking about heading to a hospital (AFTER CALLING TO GET ADVICE). Vitamin D does boost immunity. Vitamin C looks like it's helpful after contracting CV, but not a cure and not to be relied upon.

When I was 22 and heading into malaria country, I was advised by a couple of people with medical degrees that quinine might help. They also advised gamma globulin shots which, in fact, do work. For malaria. But we all learned to drink gin and tonic (juniper was suggested as an anti-viral: false but yummy). Anyway, there's a reason gin and tonic became so popular among Brits in India - they felt better while dealing with new diseases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader