Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Subway Service Is Cut by a Quarter Because of Coronavirus

“New York police report a drop in crime and a rise in infection among officers.
Measures adopted to stop the spread of the coronavirus in New York appear to have put a dent in crime, New York City’s police commissioner said on Tuesday.“

[...]

“M.T.A. cuts service as riders stay home and more workers are infected.
I
24nyvirus-briefingNEW30-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

A single passenger sat on a subway car on the B train near Columbus Circle in Manhattan on Monday.Credit...Earl Wilson/The New York Times

As the coronavirus engulfs New York, the city’s public transportation network is slashing service at least 25 percent as ridership plummets and an increasing number of sick workers hobbles the ability to run the system normally.”

[...]

“So far, 52 M.T.A. workers have tested positive for the virus, officials said.”

NYPD

Police Commissioner Dermot Shea says 211 members of the department have tested positive for the coronavirus.

The commissioner says that includes 177 uniformed members and 34 civilian members.

He says 2,700 to 2,800 members are out sick, leaving the department with staffing issues.

"What we're seeing internally as an agency on the frontlines is, we are still on an upward climb," Shea said.

The NYPD says officers are being provided with gloves, masks, alcohol wipes and hand sanitizer.

211 NYPD Members Have Tested Positive for Coronavirus, Commissioner Says
This is what will bring the military in!
Moo

NYPD says over 200 members have tested positive for coronavirus

“New York's coronavirus outbreak has also impacted the city's police force, with more than 200 NYPD employees testing positive for the virus, the police commissioner said Tuesday.

Commissioner Dermot Shea said that 211 NYPD members have tested positive for the virus, including 177 uniformed officers and 34 civilian employees, local station WCBS reported. Shea said that another 2,700 to 2,800 are out sick.”

I've spent most of my life avoiding conflict and arguments about politics, religion and philosophy. Today I spoke my mind to "friends" who preach that all will be fine by Easter, and the WH knows best.

I feel really sad. I am having a crying fit, not only because I lost control, but because my words fell on deaf ears. This epidemic is going to be worse, and worse again, and even more worse before it even BEGINS to get better. What is it about the inevitable that some people can't comprehend?

About those death rates.

Collectively, the risk for symptomatic people is about 1%. Or 3 million Americans.

Yes, it's predominately older people.

But, in America, it could well be 1% of 40-60 year olds - immense grief for their families, productive lives cut short, people at the peak of their medical and scientific careers included. 1% of the people at most churches. Higher percentages if the person is a nurse, doctor, respiratory tech, ambulance worker, fireman, EMT, policeman, lab tech. It's already hard to recruit.

0.25-0.5% of 30 year olds. One out of every 200-400 30-somethings you know. Optimistically, 1 out of 500 30-somethings - as people who are into true crime, isn't that a lot? It's vastly more than the murder rate. If you

I hope I'm preaching to the choir. But young people are going to be surprised at how this affects them. Warn them - I know most of them are over on reddit. Perhaps you have no means of getting to them - but try.

Anyway, 8-9% of the over-80's, maybe 10% (or higher if we can't get them beds, massive antibiotics, saline and...ventilators). Fine, most 80 year olds are prepared to die. 70 year olds should get ready.

Because 2-3% of them will die. I am unable to get an appointment with a lawyer to make a minor change to my will/trust. But I'll persist and try to do that. I know that I will get this eventually and don't know how lucky I'll be.

The strain on the medical system will gradually up the deaths of younger people (as in Italy).

Calling doctors and nurses out of retirement (until they die?) is not really sustainable. Your own doctor or nurse, if s/he's over 40, is likely to be seriously considering retirement. The older nurses and doctors are literally giving their lives for yours, if you go to a hospital. I am personally considering the ethics of going to a hospital, should I get sick. And I will get sick eventually, unless I sit it out for 18 months and get vaccinated (can you imagine the scaling up to give 330,000,000 vaccines in a nation with no real chemical industry?)

Lots to think about. Tell everyone you know to stay home. Prepare to stay home for 2 more months.

Last edited:
I wonder why New York has so many cases. I know the population is huge. Are the cases mainly around NYC. What about upstate NY? 26,*advertiser censored* cases is unreal.
The delay in testing and tracking has allowed the virus to seed and re-seed in a very dense population. Frankly, we have a very very serious problem. I think we have it in multiple other areas also since we are only testing sick people. It will manifest in hospitals and break its back....

About those death rates.

Collectively, the risk for symptomatic people is about 1%. Or 3 million Americans.

But, in America, it could well be 1% of 40-60 years old - immense grief for their families, productive lives cut short, people at the peak of their medical and scientific careers included. 1% of the people at most churches. Higher percentages if the person is a nurse, doctor, respiratory tech, ambulance worker, fireman, EMT, policeman, lab tech. It's already hard to recruit.

0.25-0.5% of 30 year olds. One out of every 200-400 30-somethings you know. Optimistically, 1 out of 500 30-somethings - as people who are into true crime, isn't that a lot? It's vastly more than the murder rate. If you

I hope I'm preaching to the choir. But young people are going to be surprised at how this affects them. Warn them - I know most of them are over on reddit. Perhaps you have no means of getting to them - but try.

Anyway, 8-9% of the over-80's, maybe 10% (or higher if we can't get them beds, massive antibiotics, saline and...ventilators). Fine, most 80 year olds are prepared to die. 70 year olds should get ready.

Because 2-3% of them will die. I am unable to get an appointment with a lawyer to make a minor change to my will/trust. But I'll persist and try to do that. I know that I will get this eventually and don't know how lucky I'll be.

The strain on the medical system will gradually up the deaths of younger people (as in Italy).

Calling doctors and nurses out of retirement (until they die?) is not really sustainable. Your own doctor or nurse, if s/he's over 40, is likely to be seriously considering retirement. The older nurses and doctors are literally giving their lives for yours, if you go to a hospital. I am personally considering the ethics of going to a hospital, should I get sick. And I will get sick eventually, unless I sit it out for 18 months and get vaccinated (can you imagine the scaling up to give 330,000,000 vaccines in a nation with no real chemical industry?)

Lots to think about. Tell everyone you know to stay home. Prepare to stay home for 2 more months.
Take a look at this video of Spain hospital at link....doesnt look like 80 year olds to me lying in the floor.

The composition of the age distribution is changing in France, Spain, and possibly US.

World Updates on Twitter

About those death rates.

But, in America, it could well be 1% of 40-60 years old - immense grief for their families, productive lives cut short, people at the peak of their medical and scientific careers included. 1% of the people at most churches. Higher percentages if the person is a nurse, doctor, respiratory tech, ambulance worker, fireman, EMT, policeman, lab tech. It's already hard to recruit.

For clarity, be sure to distinguish between % of infected people who die, and % of whole population that dies. MOO

And yes, everyone stay home for two months!

Though the New York area was the current epicenter of the outbreak in United States, Governor Cuomo cautioned that it was also “the canary in the coal mine" for the rest of the country.

“What happens to New York is going to wind up happening to California and Washington State and Illinois — it’s just a matter of time,” he said. “We’re just getting there first.”

Coronavirus in N.Y.: ‘Astronomical’ Surge Leads to Quarantine Warning

Bbm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics