Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy to say when you have a half a KABILLION dollars in the bank and screw up my computer with every update you put out. What about the 99% of us who don’t have all that spare cash and would like to keep working, because we like to eat?

I'm seeing the possibility of this playing out in a bad way. Desperate people tend to take desperate action. Martial law incoming?

Face it, neither U.S. federal or any state gov't was prepared for this. No previous administration prepared. The current administration wasn't prepared. Personally, I'm not one to rely on Government to be my savior in times of crisis.

It is the private sector that will rise to the occasion in this mess. It is private industry and manufacturing that will answer the call. Problem is, it ain't gonna happen overnight.

However I do think things are ramping up. I have great faith in the private sector. But the logistics, the tooling, the manufacturing, the packaging, the shipping all take time.

Cuomo in NY is a bit of hot air at times. It's nice to blast the airwaves with talk of the value of life vs. the value of the economy, but truth be told, as stated in my first sentence, you go long enough without work and income for people, and bad stuff is going to start to happen. I'm old enough to know what anarchy looks like. MOO

THREAD: When will New York turn the corner? Some insight from other nations can help identify where the peak of the epidemic curve is reached. New York is almost two weeks from when they started more aggressive mitigation. Gov. Cuomo says their models show the peak in 2-3 weeks. Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

Cuomo's projection would comport with the experience in other nations between the time of identification of community spread, implementation of population wide mitigation, and peak of epidemic. We know when this started. We can get a good estimate on when it will end.

The hope is no other city will have spread at the magnitude of New York. Every state should use their head start to implement appropriate but tough measures now. Lean forward. If we can support New York, and prevent another epicenter of spread, we can get control of this epidemic Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

The peak in 3 weeks? Oh my. Italy "peaked" and is plateauing near its peak - for we don't know how many weeks. Let's say 3. Then another 3 weeks to get back to the level of mortality NY is seeing right now.

9 more weeks to get back to mortality/hospitalization rates that we see today - and with medical supply shortages, that plateau might last...a while. Also, medical personnel will start to test positive.

We all need to stay home.

Healthcare workers at two Georgia hospitals die from coronavirus as the number of confirmed cases in the state continues to soar

Police say Dedra Wilkes, a 42-year-old mammogram technician at Piedmont Newnan Hospital, was dead at her home in Coweta County, Georgia for at least 12 to 16 hours before they arrived.

They found Wilkes, along with her five-year-old son, at the home during a welfare check.

The second healthcare worker in Georgia to die last week from coronavirus was a 48-year-old unnamed woman who worked at Donalsonville Hospital, located in the southwestern portion of the state. She died at a hospital in Tallahassee, Florida.

Person in Kentucky tests positive after attending a coronavirus party for people in their 20s | Daily Mail Online

#StayHomeSaveLives

Oh my goodness! How awful and heartbreaking! I hope the child is ok....

Oh my goodness! How awful and heartbreaking! I hope the child is ok....
That poor baby. I can't imagine what it was like for him. I hope he slept through it, but I doubt it. Little sons can be very vigilant around mama, as I recall. No doubt daughters too.

Rest in Peace, Dedra, and may your little man have a loving and responsible guardian to turn to. And may he have a long, healthy, happy life while you look upon him.

@Henry2326 , do you remember the very early report from China? I haven’t seen any confirmation since then, but I haven’t seen anything to the contrary.

Even if that isn’t the case, I just can’t see the whole world shutting down for a mortality rate of 1%.

I may totally be missing a perspective I haven’t thought of, which is why I’m throwing it out there for discussion. Would love to have my mind changed, and I’m very open to other theories based on observation and facts.

RBBM

I think Cuomo said it best

NYS GOVERNOR CUOMO: 'NO AMERICAN IS GOING TO PUT THE ECONOMY OVER HUMAN LIFE'
*Walter Bloomberg on Twitter

Well the county in Texas that I live in will begin a "Shelter In Place" tomorrow night until April 3rd. We have 8 confirmed cases but 20+ in isolation due to them probably having it but no tests being done. Stay well everyone! I work at Wal-Mart so I will be able to leave my house but not my husband. We were able to watch the county officials discussing it live online and the one thing that I took away from it is they don't know how to approach this situation because it has never been done before. Please pray/send good thoughts to your government officials because they are all in uncharted territory. (I am not trying to be political just wanted to mention them)

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> we need to make sure people can eat and stay safe while not working. Not forever - that's not part of our country's work ethic. But we can manage PPE and hazard pay for those who have to work as essential employees, and food, income and debt assistance to quarantine for at least a few weeks for those who are considered non-essential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you literally wanting to convert them to cold hard cash? Or just wanting to deposit them? Jmo
Both ;) We'll be fine. My husband was just informed he'll be off 2 days this week so he can run to the bank. Part of the problem is my son is the manager so we need to go to the other branch so someone else can handle the transaction.

That's why we need to make sure people can eat and stay safe while not working. Not forever - that's not part of our country's work ethic. But we can manage PPE and hazard pay for those who have to work as essential employees, and food, income and debt assistance to quarantine for at least a few weeks for those who are considered non-essential.

I am the Grammar Police:

for at least a few weeks for those whose jobs are considered non-essential.

Each of us is essential.

I do think that's what you mean!

Last edited:
I agree. If there is a total societal breakdown because the majority of people have no money to buy food, we will see widespread looting. JMO
Holy geez....a trillion dollars is on its way....free stuff abounds.....I think we can put rioting in the streets on the back burner while we try to save some lives....

I don’t have any link I am authorized to provide, so IMO/experience, the company I work for has already experienced a drastic increase in theft. I don’t think it’s so much out of society not being able to afford things at the moment but out of fear that we might be heading in that direction.

Yes. According to the doctor guest on 640 am, kfi, los angeles. He's on every night at around 6 pm.
the bigger the dose, the more likely you'll get sick.

Is it possible that you can receive higher "doses" of the virus? for example lets say a few spores land on you, it may be that your immune system can deal with a small of exposure and give you no or very little symptoms where as if you receive a large amount of exposure to the virus, for example a nurse working around infected people all day long with poor protection could this be harder to fight off? i have no idea how this works but its just a thought that i had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChewieXM