Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"We are not willing to sacrifice 1-2% of New Yorkers.
That’s not who we are.

We will fight to save every life we can.
I am not giving up."

"My mother is not expendable. Your mother is not expendable.
We will not put a dollar figure on human life.
We can have a public health strategy that is consistent with an economic one.
No one should be talking about social darwinism for the sake of the stock market."

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
This is leadership!

I think all the clerks working in the supermarkets or fast food places should be provided with disposable surgical masks and gloves. They are exposed to a large number of people. Of course we don't have any surgical masks to spare, do we? We are so completely unprepared for this.

All the clerks and stockers at our local natural food co-op here in Southern Oregon work with gloves on, but of course there are no masks, unfortunately.

Based on what I have seen the date chosen to open up jobs and stop social isolation, April 12, is EXACTLY the beginning of the worst week for infections / ICU usage / COVID-19 deaths and massive shortages of PPE for heathcare providers.

This would be an absolutely disastrous time, IHMO, to be taking the brakes off of the process.

All it is going to take is one person in the WH inner circles to become ill and I think things will change very fast.
He can't order states to do it. Governors are the ones who decide.

If I was the worker, I'd wear the mask anyway, dare them to fire me, then take them to the dept. Of labor. No way would that McDonalds owner win.

Saw a post on a response to Mayor's order to shut down city which someone working at McDonalds drive-thru wants to wear a face mask and the boss won't let her. People getting very angry about the 'essential worker/business criteria' and I don't blame them.

Oklahoma Update:

The Oklahoma State Department of Health says there are now 106 positive COVID-19 cases in the state and Oklahoma has had its third death from the virus.

The additional death was reported in Cleveland County, a woman in her 60s, bringing the total of COVID-19 deaths in Oklahoma to three.

The followings is from the OSDH Tuesday morning update:

The number of COVID-19 test results submitted by private labs has grown in the past 24-hours. Earlier this month, the Commissioner designated COVID-19 as a disease that is immediately reportable to OSDH upon suspicion, diagnosis, or test. Any laboratories that fail or refuse to report findings to OSDH may subject to civil and criminal penalties.
Oklahoma reports third COVID-19 death, state cases now at 106
I have to say I’m not panicked. Yet...but the lady that just died lives across town from me.

All it is going to take is one person in the WH inner circles to become ill and I think things will change very fast.

Agreed. While reading about what percentage of deaths would be an acceptable (!!) sacrifice for the good of the economy, I wondered if that same sentiment would hold if it included a death in that inner circle. My guess is no.

This whole situation is surreal. One of my friends posted a picture on social media today of face masks she had sewn and was sending to Flint, Michigan. This makes no sense at all...:(:mad:

A few days ago, I had researched into making my own masks out of HEPA filter Vacuum bag material for personal use and since you know someone who is making them, I want to share something I found out in case you missed it.

There are certain HEPA Vacuum cleaner bag filters where their specifications listed that they block out the exact same small particle (0.3 Microns size) as the N95 masks do.

These links and info below are not the ones I previously shared but is the same point. I am going to start using the HEPA Vaccum filter material once I am able to figure out a frame and start home production.

First link and info is for Vacuum cleaner HEPA filter bags:

"What does HEPA mean and where did it come from?
HEPA, which stands for High Efficiency Particulate Air, is a designation used to describe filters that are able to trap 99.97 percent of particles that are 0.3 microns."

What is a HEPA filter?

The 2nd link and info below is for N95 masks

"The 'N95' designation means that when subjected to careful testing, the respirator blocks at least 95 percent of very small (0.3 micron) test particles"

N95 Respirators and Surgical Masks (Face Masks)

ETA-I dont know how well someone can breath through it yet as I have not been able to try it yet. Hopefully the breathing through it will work.

Taiwan accuses WHO of cozying up to China, not listening to coronavirus warnings

Taiwan accuses WHO of cozying up to China, not listening to coronavirus warnings

Taiwan claimed its doctors had heard from their mainland China colleagues that medical staff treating patients were getting sick -- an obvious sign that person-to-person transmissions were taking place, the Financial Times reported.

China's critics believe if Beijing would have set its ego aside, Taiwan could have been on the front lines helping fight COVID-19, and the numbers of those infected around the world would have been dramatically lower.

Seems like a really quick " about face" forward march. What happened to flattening the curve? I am all about the doctors and feel they are spot on with their thoughts.

I also wonder if the numbers, charts, etc are showing it impossible to flatten the curve enough to make a difference. Meaning the length of time it will take to flatten the curve is too long for this economy to survive?

I am so confused. I know I will not be leaving the house any time soon.

I think it's to early to tell. We are in a steep climb on all graphs, thanks to increased testing. We may not have real numbers for 2 more weeks. Yes, back log of those waiting to be tested and new inpatient hospitalizations *priority*.

I've been scouring the internet and Twitter for new projections from reliable sources with creditable data.

MOO...with lack of PPE, masks, testing, ventilators, 10 day incubation period and drug shortages we are currently experiencing, from the get go. I don't see us moving into even a slight curve for 4 to 6 weeks. Maybe longer.

No matter when the county opens, those of us in "the older" generation or with comorbidities will need to remain vigilant.

MOO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member