Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thought I would post in case anyone is interested in some free entertainment this weekend.

John Rich to perform live concert from his home on Fox Nation
Fox Nation will present a special concert with country music star John Rich from his Nashville home on Friday at 8 p.m. ET to provide some live entertainment to Americans stuck at home amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“Fox Nation Presents a Night with John Rich LIVE!” will stream on Fox Nation, FoxNews.com and all Fox News social media platforms. Rich will sing many of his own hits, cover songs from other artists and take questions from Americans via social media.

Fox Nation, a digital subscription service that features many Fox News stars, will put Rich's concert in front of the paywall so it can be enjoyed by everyone.

There isn't yet a nationwide shortage of testing swabs, so the Feds should be able to free up enough for Tennessee to get the basic sampling materials.

There are shortages of viral transport media, so swabs are being put into sterile saline to keep them moist.

There are problems with the supplies of RNA-extracting materials needed to create the sample that gets analyzed, and there is a limited supply of the actual testing reagents

This is the problem when you have to develop a test from nothing to 370,000,000 samples.

This is an issue that we have never before faced to this degree.

For example, with Ebola, there were probably less than 500 tests performed by the CDC

I've not kept up with this thread but just wanted to add that I think Arizona-ians are getting braver and going out even more as there is no mandate to stay in. This is ridiculous. Utterly irresponsible and ridiculous that there has been no mandate to stay in. Yes, I'm talking to you Gov. Ducey, for starters...
Oklahoma often uses Arizona as a quasi-sister state. We have similar demographics. I’m not sure how many state characteristics we share. It’s been awhile. Our state’s Strategic Plan usually mimicked one another as an overall model. So...this surprises me.

I don't know what the desired narrative is, but I am assuming it would be what this model is trying to claim-that you don't need so many hospital beds. People who do modeling can make their model do whatever they want. What exactly supports the idea that half of population in UK has already been infected?
Certainly you see in Italy number of deaths and infections are very large. In US you also see the infections and deaths climbing rapidly.
So UK is somehow different? I doubt that very much.

Ferguson believes that half the UK population already has Covid.

Essentially, what has happened is that estimates of the viruses transmissibility have increased — which implies that many more people have already gotten it than we realize — which in turn implies it is less dangerous.

Ferguson now predicts that the epidemic in the U.K. will peak and subside within ‘two to three weeks’ — last week’s paper said 18+ months of quarantine would be necessary.

As you say, the model needs assumptive inputs, which can increase in accuracy as more is learned.

Ferguson is saying those that most people who have COVID don't know it and are not tested for it. His opinion only at this point, but we should probably listen since the economy has collapsed and we've taken unprecedented government action based on his previous model.

I don't think the UK is different that the U.S. The CDC says there are 68,000 confirmed cases in the US. The real number is likely orders of magnitude higher based on asymptomatic and untested mild cases. This means the percent of infected people that will die or need hospitals beds is much lower than previously thought.

I'm not arguing a point here. Just dropping information that can provide context against other information.

Last edited:
Go
My thought about parents who have no option but to bring their kids into stores with them -- if I had a big retail store, here's what I think I would try:

designate a few parking spaces all next to each other, and have one employee whose job it is to stand outside near those vehicles to keep an eye on children waiting inside. Cell phone contact can keep them in touch with parent shopping inside if something happens.

This doesn't address ALL situations (such as fearful children who won't stay in the car or who might harm themselves or others, or parents without cell phones) -- but it would drastically reduce the numbers of kids needing to come inside public places. And while it may not be 100% safe it seems like the drastically lesser of multiple evils at this point.

Gosh.....me, age 9, younger brother, age 8 and my 7 year old sister had to wait in the 1965 VW Bus in the giant parking lot at the Commissary at Fort Dix for who knows or remembers how long.....felt like hours.....while my mother shopped inside for a family of 8.

“ Guess what car I’m looking at now”....games.

SC GOVERNOR PRESSER....my notes

only 2,578 tests done in the state.

They only plan to test people with symptoms going forward.
No one will be notified if they are exposed in a work or public environment.
ICU bed usage is up 10% since Monday.
Thry put in a request for 160 additional ventilators and think its enough.

They did NOT mention that Roper hospital downtown is requesting donations for protective equipment because they will soon run out.
While that page from ABC News was available an hour ago, it is no longer viewable.
I do have confirmation from a friend who works in ICU that it is true.

Where does that leave the rest of us?

National Stockpile had 16k, 4k to NY, unknown to Washington and others.

There is no way, I see the demand can be met. Choices will be made on who lives and dies. We will see this shortly.

Yes, manufacturers are stepping up and inventing new ones. It will take a week or two at best to test and meet minimum or reduced guidelines, fast tracked FDA.

These are LIFE Support devices and we must insure they have the needed capability with all alarm function. Patient needs, trigger alarms, quite a feat to design.

After/during approval, factories reconfigured, employees trained and an intense QA team. More weeks.

I don't see new vents beginning produced within the next 6 to 10 weeks. We need them today and most of all next week.

Moo...

Hasn't the code been released to 3D print an adapter for vents for 2 people? Jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back