Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@10ofRods I have been to NYC, DC, many other large cities, and I couldn't wait to leave! Hong Kong was by far the worst, you literally can't walk without bumping into people.

I am always so happy to get back to "Big Sky Country", where you can drive for miles without seeing another car or person. I am perfectly happy not seeing anyone for days, or even going anywhere, but riding my bike, doing work. Really, this whole "Stay at Home", and don't see anyone is pretty much my life anyway.

Yes - very true. Anyone who was looking to China for its positive outcomes should look again.

I'm sitting here shaking my head at some of our beloved states. So many correlations between previous health issues (obesity, heart disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, high blood pressure) AND having faster transmission rates. The educational attainment levels of those states are poor, as well.

It's very sad. The people who live in those states need strong leadership to get them out of this without higher death rates than in, say, Massachusetts or California.

The situation in Ohio is alarming, as they are so far into an exponential curve, I do not see how they have any choice but to accept a higher mortality rate (like Italy's) over a shorter period of time.

Sorry I can't like this, but yes.

We were just watching a video clip of that and shaking our heads. What is wrong with people? Each group who gets infected will transmit to more and more people, thereby getting rid of the advantage of having the ship there.

I'm beginning to think that migration to places like NYC must be by very extroverted people or that the culture really reinforces enjoyment of mass sociality.

My family in the West tends to live much less social lives, with a strong desire to be on multiple acres and no one nearby. I now feel happy to be in my suburban tract home where even though the schools and gyms are closed, there are plenty of sidewalks where I can walk all by myself, on average seeing 1-2 other people on each walk. We avoid each other, of course.
Me, too...

OREGON

606 cases

16 deaths

Oregon Health Authority | COVID-19 Updates

Big news: Self-service gas will be allowed. (I hate self-service)

Oregon allows self-service at gas stations amid coronavirus pandemic

SOUTHERN OREGON REPORT (@kodi and others)

20 cases in Jackson county (up 1)

https://govstatus.egov.com/OR-OHA-COVID-19

Josephine County has two more cases for a total of 10.

Josephine County: 2 new cases of COVID-19 brings total to 10

Costco employee at Central Point (near Medford) store tests positive.

Costco notifies employees after worker at Central Point location tests positive for COVID-19

Southern Oregon University postpones 2020 graduation until 2021.

SOU decides to postpone spring 2020 graduation ceremony

So my town has been doing the social distancing thing for close to two weeks already. Despite that, half the infected people are under the age of 40.

On our police Facebook page, they just posted about breaking up a large party of 50 young people (not because of the virus specifically, but because of a noise disturbance).

So my town has been doing the social distancing thing for close to two weeks already. Despite that, half the infected people are under the age of 40.

On our police Facebook page, they just posted about breaking up a large party of 50 young people (not because of the virus specifically, but because of a noise disturbance).
I'm sure this kind of thing is happening around here in middle Kansas. I honestly feel my blood pressure shoot through the roof reading this. I don't think people should be gathering in ANY numbers.

It's even scarier and more disheartening because this is just the beginning and people won't stay home. We've got a looooong haul ahead of us. What will people do after a couple of months? I'm begging people please stay home.

SC posts 151 new cases of coronavirus, two new death related to virus

NEW CORONAVIRUS CASES
Anderson County: 2 cases

Barnwell County: 1 case

Beaufort County: 24 cases

Charleston County: 6 cases

Chesterfield County: 2 cases

Clarendon County: 2 cases

Colleton County: 1 case

Darlington County: 1 case

Dorchester County: 2 cases

Fairfield County: 1 case

Florence County: 1 case

Georgetown County: 1 case

Greenville County: 17 cases

Horry County: 1 case

Kershaw County: 16 cases

Lancaster County: 1 case

Lexington County: 6 cases

Marion County: 1 case

Orangeburg County: 5 cases

Pickens County: 2 cases

Richland County: 40 cases

Spartanburg County: 5 cases

Sumter County: 4 cases

Union County: 2 cases

York County: 7 cases

https://www.thestate.com/news/coron...1.html?utm_source=pushly&intcid=pushly_501560

Sorry MassGuy but up here north of you we are asking the Governor to build a wall and make Massachusetts pay for it. ;)

Hi all
DH is being sent home from CA. He’s a locum working in a clinical setting and all non essential reads are being done at hospital for patients either in ER, ICU or CCU. Possibly no work for him until perhaps June.
Stay safe, we now have a few cases in our parish. No indication how they got it, or even if they’re alive. Having trouble reading Louisiana stats.
The LA. governor is having a press conference now.

The number ONE question I have for all 50 governors, and WDC is what have each of you done with the BILLIONS of dollars the federal American taxpayers has given you EACH year to support your healthcare system, and emergency funds?

This is beyond what is collected from state, and local taxpayers. Each yearly state budget allocates funds for emergencies.

Yet it seems no state had any stockpile of their own consisting of medical PPEs.

Each governor knows at anytime they can have an catastrophic emergency that will require healthcare workers, hospitals, and a multitude of medical equipment, and supplies. Yet all seem to be so ill prepared themselves.

Now they all expect the federal government to work miracles providing everything for ALL 50 states.

I want to know what happened to all of the money already given each year to them by the federal government, and where all the money was spent that was supposed to be for an emergency fund on a state, and local level. In just a few short years it would be trillions of dollars given to the states.

It sure wasnt spent stockpiling needed supplies in cases of emergencies just like this pandemic.

ETA: I read an article that before this pandemic the average cost for N95 masks was around .65 cents a piece. Now its costing up to $7.00 per mask. Ugh!

Jmhoo

Last edited:
We are begging people to STOP coming to our state.

They are closed in certain areas Like Miami, Ft Lauderdale, etc. I believe that’s being enforced. I guess Flagler County (NE FL) hasn’t closed theirs? There’s barriers here in SW FL to the beach parking lots.

I was shocked too. When I drove I-75 on Thursday to Tampa for my treatment, every single electronic sign said Public Beaches Closed.[/QUOTE

What obviously happens here, is if they ALL don't close, then people clearly know how to sniff any beaches that are. There are still spring breakers here with nothing to do. Our beach closed early, infuriating residents, but they did not realize we got flooded with people from the southern part of the state. Now I think all people finally realize.

A topic for future biology students' dissertations will be tracing the clusters of this disease spread by religious gatherings whose "shepherds" disobeyed law and gathered their flocks.

I imagine that future biology students will look at various types of clusters that gathered, and perhaps sociologists of religion and theologians will look specifically at religious gatherings.

I'm sure this kind of thing is happening around here in middle Kansas. I honestly feel my blood pressure shoot through the roof reading this. I don't think people should be gathering in ANY numbers.

It's even scarier and more disheartening because this is just the beginning and people won't stay home. We've got a looooong haul ahead of us. What will people do after a couple of months? I'm begging people please stay home.
It looks like these people were actually gang members (they recovered several guns). So imagine this activity in Chicago, LA, and New York!

I'm having my students look at that right now. They're enjoying it. There are genes that are posited for both religiosity (desire to be part of an organized religion and attend meetings) and sociality (extroversion).

There are genes for being socially avoidant as well. So...we're seeing natural selection in action. More specifically, people with certain traits are departing the gene pool (although of course, it's mostly people who have already reproduced).

Next year, we can look at how many coronababies there are.

Please post links to the literature so that we can review, as an academic that would be my approach to assessing these studies and claims and counter-studies and claims.
Thanks.

@10ofRods I have been to NYC, DC, many other large cities, and I couldn't wait to leave! Hong Kong was by far the worst, you literally can't walk without bumping into people.

I am always so happy to get back to "Big Sky Country", where you can drive for miles without seeing another car or person. I am perfectly happy not seeing anyone for days, or even going anywhere, but riding my bike, doing work. Really, this whole "Stay at Home", and don't see anyone is pretty much my life anyway.

Same here. I love going to big cities - as a vacation. I grew up in a very small town, and on the edge of that town. I am perfectly happy not seeing people for days at a time, and we stopped going to movies and restaurants quite some time ago (we like our own cooking and we like being able to watch movies at home).

As a teen, I did love social activities (I loved band so much that I took every form of music class in high school, and loved marching band, concert band, orchestra).

Look for new clusters to proliferate in Oklahoma, when widespread testing reaches there. I have heard many churches are packed each Sunday. My grandparents are bright old sorts, and have stayed home Sundays for the first time in ages. Others....

Most excellent news let's hope all other places of worship take heed. L.E. needs to also bust anyone throwing a gathering as well.
I don't want to be quaranteed for the rest of this year due to people like this.I
Last week, one of my neighbor 's had a party.
I didn't say anything at the time. Now, I feel much differently and will call the police.

Sheriff’s Office obtains arrest warrant for pastor of Tampa church that held two large Sunday services
TAMPA — The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office has obtained an arrest warrant for the pastor of a Tampa megachurch who held two services on Sunday for scores of worshipers, violating a county order for residents to stay at home to limit the spread of coronavirus.

“Because of the reckless disregard of public safety and after repeated requests and warnings, I worked with our state attorney, Andrew Warren, to obtain a warrant for unlawful assembly and violation of public health emergency rules, both of which are second degree misdemeanors,” Chronister said. “Our goal here is not to stop anyone from worshiping, but the safety and well-being of our community must always come first."

State law allows the order to be enforced as a second-degree misdemeanor, punishable by up to 60 days in jail, a maximum fine of $500 or both.

Arrest Warrant Issued For Pastor After Sunday Gatherings
The gathering violates the county's "safer at home" order as well as President Donald Trump’s social distancing guidelines and recommendations made by the Centers For Disease Control.

Public or private gatherings, including faith-based gatherings are limited to 10 people or less.

In a statement from earlier this month, church leaders said they felt they were an essential service and would be keeping their doors open.

The sheriff's office advised church leaders of the danger they are putting themselves and their congregation in by not following the guidelines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member