Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, but I did see a handshake rebuff with the MyPillow guy (due to hygiene, not rudeness).

Old habits do die hard. I wonder if I'll ever hug my friends again upon seeing them :(

Definitely, everyone is doing their best! It is just funny what you notice in today's day and age. I grew up in New York City touching the subway poles everyday never giving it a second thought, never using hand sanitizer. Now I'm horrified, I wipe down Amazon packages with Chlorox wipes. I can't believe I survived all these years lol

I have own brand oats - I think they are as good. Maybe avoid Quaker for a while? Mind you the cooking or putting boiling water on them (which is how I make my porridge) would probably make them safe anyway.

I'm stocked up. I've got three boxes. Sigh.
I also have them in my Amazon cart. Delete.

Definitely, everyone is doing their best! It is just funny what you notice in today's day and age. I grew up in New York City touching the subway poles everyday never giving it a second thought, never using hand sanitizer. Now I'm horrified, I wipe down Amazon packages with Chlorox wipes. I can't believe I survived all these years lol

Yeah, by today's rules, I should have been dead 30 years ago.

The list of lower paid behind-the-scenes workers is endless. Heroes, all of them. Who knew?

my wife is front line working in the community through the local council

she has had a very hard few weeks, what happened at her work is disgusting, half of her office decided without discussion to take the few laptops they have and run away to their homes and work at home without any thought for the last 4 people at work who have been left by themselves with no laptops if they wanted to work from home, so they have no choice but to continue to come to work each day and do their job

she doesn't mind because she doesn't want to leave all the community groups with no one to talk to or for support but i am angry that apparently they have just left the lower ranked people alone in this community center while all the others have taken off to protect themselves with no thought to their co-workers

you really see peoples true colours in times like this

I just cannot imagine what this is doing for teens. We just must understand how important socialization is... was the same for all of us during those years. There will be hundreds and hundreds of studies on how this affected each generation...

The teens I know do quite a bit of their socializing via texts, social media and gaming. I know it is difficult for some teens not being able to hang out with friends and their graduations, proms, etc. being postponed or cancelled but having to stay in the comfort of their homes with their phones and internet to stay in touch with friends or being able to go outside to meet up with a friend or two while practicing the social distancing mandated in their area is nothing compared to what their grandparents were asked to do for their country. My father in law joined the Navy in January of his senior year of high school for World War II. and numerous uncles and cousins were drafted and served in Vietnam. I am hopeful the teens will not look back on these days with regrets and emotional issues because of what they are not able to do and instead will look back on these days with pride on how well they handled sacrificing their socialization and high school events for the well being of their family and communities.

I side eye everyone wondering when they washed their hands last. It's a different world. Jmo

BBM:

What a bunch of nimrods.

I'm not a fan of government overreach at all, but I would be wholly supportive of cities, towns, etc., imposing large fines on any groups that defy any orders r/t limiting group sizes, i.e., no more than 10 people in a gathering, etc.

Some of us adults would like to get back to work sooner rather than later.
If people would simply stay home, we'd all be okay a whole lot sooner.

JMO.

Since these people do not care about their own health enough to take precautions, they think they have the right to assemble. What they do not realize is that they are prolonging the economic disaster (even if they don't go to a hospital).

I don't know what the solution is. Apparently the non-state beaches here in SoCal are packed as well. All the big parking lots are closed, but people who live nearby can bike or walk. Sigh. The rest of us are going stir crazy; students without computer access are missing out on half a year of school, basically. Students are withdrawing from their college classes and many will not return. I am guessing that many who were in health-related programs are rethinking. It really sucks for them.

Anyway, some states are going to see higher mortality rates (in the 50+ segment, with plenty of 40-somethings in the mix, and a few younger people).

my wife is front line working in the community through the local council

she has had a very hard few weeks, what happened at her work is disgusting, half of her office decided without discussion to take the few laptops they have and run away to their homes and work at home without any thought for the last 4 people at work who have been left by themselves with no laptops if they wanted to work from home, so they have no choice but to continue to come to work each day and do their job

she doesn't mind because she doesn't want to leave all the community groups with no one to talk to or for support but i am angry that apparently they have just left the lower ranked people alone in this community center while all the others have taken off to protect themselves with no thought to their co-workers

you really see peoples true colours in times like this

Another lasting effect.

Thank you!!! I like this post 1 million times!!!

Thank you. I enjoy posting with you KALI, but unfortunately it's always when something very bad has or is happening.

If I was the federal government agencies supplying the entire country with all of these medical supplies, I would demand they be returned to them once we no longer have this pandemic threatening our country, and it's citizens' lives.

Imo, if not, they will never get them back from the states who have them, and some in great quantities.

So if another health pandemic or another type of emergency happens the federal agencies won't have the medical equipment stockpiled that will be needed to deal with it. It may be needed more in other states the next time. I hope there wont be a next time, but the medical equipment needs to be stockpiled by the federal government so we dont have to go through this the next time.

Also each state should also amass their own stockpile in each state from the funds given to them by the taxpayers who pay federal taxes, and funds collected for this very purpose by the states, and their citizens.

It's just common sense.

Jmho tho.

Been posted before, but we need to be reminded this pandemic will not be over by 30 April or even May.
Model cited by White House says 82,000 people could die from coronavirus by August, even with social distancing - CNN
As of Monday morning, it estimates that more than 2,000 people could die each day in the United States in mid-April, when the virus is predicted to hit the country hardest.
And assuming social distancing will continue through May, it finds that, by August, around 82,000 people in the US could die from Covid-19.

Saw this pic on reddit - arriving in NYC via hospital ship. Makes me tear up for some reason.
9l2kfz03qup41.jpg
God bless America......god bless the world.

I attended a webinar today about the virus and found this interesting - this graphic demonstrates how the virus emerged, indicates it was not manufactured.

The link is on the graphic.

upload_2020-3-30_16-36-59.png

This shows asymptomatic transmission, indicates that after the virus enters a host (people) it invades cells for 1-2 days before there are symptoms. There is saliva transmission of the virus during those days.

Link included in graphic

upload_2020-3-30_16-25-51.png

A thousand times NO. It's bad enough that government spies on people, but at least those gov. spies are background checked. Criminals, sex offenders are being released already, I don't want them to have an app on their phone to track me.

MOO only MOO

A government app on my phone earns it a permanent self-isolation in a drawer...clearly a virus.

Day 11 here. We are feeling fine. I feel for our neighbours about 5 houses down-their house caught fire just minutes ago fire trucks pulled up. Cant see how bad it is as it's on our side of the street and we are not to leave our property. I cant think of a worse time if it had to happen. We don't know them other than to see.
Oh no....It was probably a cooking accident...my hubby has almost set our kitchen on fire twice already...:rolleyes:

Thank you. I enjoy posting with you KALI, but unfortunately it's always when something very bad has or is happening.

If I was the federal government agencies supplying the entire country with all of these medical supplies, I would demand they be returned to them once we no longer have this pandemic threatening our country, and it's citizens' lives.

Imo, if not, they will never get them back from the states who have them, and some in great quantities.

So if another health pandemic or another type of emergency happens the federal agencies won't have the medical equipment stockpiled that will be needed to deal with it. It may be needed more in other states the next time. I hope there wont be a next time, but the medical equipment needs to be stockpiled by the federal government so we dont have to go through this the next time.

Also each state should also amass their own stockpile in each state from the funds given to them by the taxpayers who pay federal taxes, and funds collected for this very purpose by the states, and their citizens.

It's just common sense.

Jmho tho.

I am not a legal scholar, but it seems to me that Congress and Senate could mandate minimum levels of state-purchased medical supplies for declared emergencies, and then use federal employees (from more than one branch, say the CDC and the NIH) to monitor, make recommendations and to ensure the supplies are stocked. National Guard armories could be used for this, and make a database of what's in storage so that the public could know.

When supplies expire, serious study should be undertaken before they are destroyed or sent out of the country. We have had an obsession with "expiration" that is simply absent from the rest of the world and it is designed to sell more product. Instead of destroying ventilators to keep the prices up, there should be public interest in firms that manufacture basic supplies for the public good. In other words, we should not allow the so-called market to determine whether we have supplies or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonnyfastball