Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I dislike being the voice of doom and gloom (I do enjoy being up to no good however) I just had an arrhythmia & mild panic attack after ordering seeds from another vendor. I use Renee’s Garden in CA, Territorial in Oregon, Seed Savers’ Exchange In Midwest somewhere & now my go-to, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange from VA.

Yes they are experiencing shortages, but when Southern Exposure opened its website after shutting down for 2 weeks due to high volume I became a bit worried. I went to the on -line catalogue & then I panicked: no sweet potatoes, no potatoes, shortage of corn varieties. But that’s not the worrisome part: all of the materials needed to save seeds after harvest are sold out. Frames, threshers, packets, etc. so I made a massive order of everything I can grow here through fall-winter-spring. I will add to @southern Belle’s lovely signature in these harrowing times, if you can, plant a garden. Some people are taking this VERY seriously.
Rant over

Be warned that if you sign up for Walmart's grocery delivery service your exposure might be the same or worse than actually going to the store.

I work for an outpatient clinic, and I thought it would be a good idea not to go to the store or stand in long lines--just in case I'm an asymptomatic spreader. I've used the WMT drive up service previously. The pick-up folks have been signing that the customer agrees to to the replacements/order. Relatively, no contact.
Walmart in our area is advertising unlimited pick up service. It sounded like a good no contact option, right?

Well, imagine my surprise when I had to sign for the order on the delivery driver's personal cell phone! Had to get within 3 feet just to reach for his phone. Not his fault. He's just doing what he's been told is "policy."

If I'm an asymptomatic spreader, that means he could get infected and go spreading this to anyone trying to stay home. Also, I'd assume that the more vulnerable population might use this service--not just healthcare workers trying to limit spreading infection in their communities.
Are all the grocery delivery services like this?

Officials said the ventilators are not powerful enough to treat coronavirus patients, but they can be used for other patients to free up stronger ventilators.

Washington state returns ventilators for use in New York

“Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said Sunday that the state will return more than 400 ventilators of the 500 it has received from the federal government so they can go to New York and other states hit harder by the coronavirus.”

[...]

“Washington received 500 ventilators last month from the Strategic National Stockpile.

“I’ve said many times over the last few weeks: We are in this together,” Inslee said. “This should guide all of our actions at an individual and state level in the coming days and weeks.”

[...]

“Our current status allows us to help others who have a more immediate need,” Bono said.”

I love this. This is exactly what needs to happen. Jmo.

Cuomo now questioned re burying COVID bodies in NYC parks:

I have heard nothing, heard a lot of wild rumors, but I have NOT heard that...I talked to NYC yesterday and I have not heard that this is an issue
I really like Cuomo, but if this is appearing on the front page of my run of the mill pc/mediocre internet connection, his aides have seen it. And it was posted before his presser began.

I’m not sure exactly how that source arrives at this new date. I don’t think it has to do with actual cases peaking at the new date, but involves resources available or needed peaking at an earlier date. This source still lists May 3. I will keep an eye on this.

The coronavirus outbreak won't peak in every state at once

They are different because your source says Projections as of March 30, 2020 and the source quoted is current as of April 5th.

Italy

Italy today saw a sharp drop in new coronavirus cases with 3,599 recorded, the lowest rise in nearly three weeks, but daily deaths climbed by another 100.

Rome tallied another 636 deaths on Monday, compared with a rise of 525 yesterday, bringing its total death toll to 16,523, the highest in the world.

The total number of confirmed cases increased by 3,599 to 132,547, the lowest daily rise since March 17, underscoring hopes that the illness might be on the retreat thanks to a nationwide lockdown introduced on March 9.

Before Monday, daily increases since March 17 had all been in a range of 4,050 to 6,557.

Italy sees sharp drop in new coronavirus cases with 3,599 in the last day - lowest rise in 3 weeks | Daily Mail Online

Out of over 60,000,000 people, 16,523 died. This isn't a third or a quarter of a good-sized city, yet the world has closed down and everyone is wringing their hands. Yes, it is bad, lots of people are dying, but statistically, it's a drop in the bucket. Does anyone have the stats from flu deaths?

During the plague years, 1300s, 1/3 of the world died. This just doesn't compute to me. Sorry, it just does not.

Be warned that if you sign up for Walmart's grocery delivery service your exposure might be the same or worse than actually going to the store.

I work for an outpatient clinic, and I thought it would be a good idea not to go to the store or stand in long lines--just in case I'm an asymptomatic spreader. I've used the WMT drive up service previously. The pick-up folks have been signing that the customer agrees to to the replacements/order. Relatively, no contact.
Walmart in our area is advertising unlimited pick up service. It sounded like a good no contact option, right?

Well, imagine my surprise when I had to sign for the order on the delivery driver's personal cell phone! Had to get within 3 feet just to reach for his phone. Not his fault. He's just doing what he's been told is "policy."

If I'm an asymptomatic spreader, that means he could get infected and go spreading this to anyone trying to stay home. Also, I'd assume that the more vulnerable population might use this service--not just healthcare workers trying to limit spreading infection in their communities.
Are all the grocery delivery services like this?

What? No, absolutely not all delivery services are like this. Instacart and everyone else, pharmacy delivery, etc have left it at my door. One pharmacy provided an envelope at the door with the receipt to sign and mail back...It is common knowledge this is all about social distancing and no contact.

This is wrong and shouldn’t be happening. This needs to be addressed. This is a major booboo. Moo

Last edited:
Rick Wilson Retweeted
Mark D. Levine
@MarkLevineNYC

·
2h

It’s not just deaths in hospitals which are up. On an average day before this crisis there were 20-25 deaths at home in NYC. Now in the midst of this pandemic the number is 200-215. *Every day*.
Mark D. Levine
@MarkLevineNYC

·
3h

A typical hospital morgue might hold 15 bodies. Those are now all full. So OCME has sent out 80 refrigerated trailers to hospitals around the city. Each trailer can hold 100 bodies. These are now mostly full too. Some hospitals have had to add a 2nd or even a 3rd trailer.

That at home death figure is astonishing. By next year, epidemiologists will have run those numbers and estimated how many have CV (175 per day at least right?)

I've read that some older apartments still share some form of ventilation. At any rate, elevators and hallways. Lobbies.

LOUISIANA

Monday 4/6
14,867. Cases Reported*
512. Deaths Reported
62 of 64 parishes

Sunday 4/5
13,010. Cases Reported
477 Deaths Reported
61 of 64. parishes

Coronavirus updates in Louisiana: 14,867 COVID-19 cases in state; 512 deaths reported
  • “14,867 cases across the state
  • 512 deaths reported
  • 62 out of 64 parishes now affected
  • 4,565 cases in New Orleans
Louisiana saw significant increases in its coronavirus cases and deaths over the weekend, putting it among states which have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 outbreak.”

[...]

In the hot spot region of the New Orleans metro, 4,565 cases have been reported in New Orleans while Jefferson Parish has 3,530 cases.”

[...]

“Neighboring Texas reported just over 6,800 cases while Mississippi's cases have jumped to 1,788, according to the latest updates from both states Monday.”

Revealed: New theories on why coronavirus is killing young and 'healthy' people

Dr Sanjay Gupta, a neurosurgeon and chief medical correspondent for CNN, said scientists and researchers are exploring whether some younger people are dying due to their genetic makeup.

He wrote: "One possibility is a gene variation in the ACE2 gene. ACE2 is an enzyme that attaches to the outer surface of cells in the lungs, as well as the heart."

Coronavirus uses the enzyme to enter airway cells.

Dr Gupta pointed to a story by Science magazine, in which Dr Philip Murphy, of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said "variations in the ACE2 gene that alter the receptor could make it easier or harder for the virus to get into cells

New theories on why coronavirus is killing young and 'healthy' people

Out of over 60,000,000 people, 16,523 died. This isn't a third or a quarter of a good-sized city, yet the world has closed down and everyone is wringing their hands. Yes, it is bad, lots of people are dying, but statistically, it's a drop in the bucket. Does anyone have the stats from flu deaths?

During the plague years, 1300s, 1/3 of the world died. This just doesn't compute to me. Sorry, it just does not.

I've been thinking about this over the past few days and the best I can come up with it's because we don't have enough medical facilities/equipment. Also, we don't really know how to treat it--we just found out yesterday that ventilators could be more harmful than helpful.

It seems there may be some inconsistencies in the presentation of modeling results and assumptions for the updated IHME models (as of April 6).

The header of the "COVID19 Projections" page (which shows modeling results for USA and state by state) says "assuming full social distancing through May 2020:"

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

But on the FAQ's page, under "Social Distancing," it says that the model assumes social distancing measures throughout the modeling period which ends August 4. It also says that it assumes that states that have enacted fewer than three of the SD measures will have enacted all four of the SD measures (incl "Travel Restrictions," which very few states have enacted).

IHME COVID-19 model FAQs

So, SD through May 2020 or through August 4, 2020?

And, three of the four SD measures (Close Schools/Institutions; Stay Home; Essential Businesses Only) for all states or the fourth as well (Travel Restrictions)?

Me too - no matter how careful I’m being I know that the people in the office are not - many trips to Home Depot and daily trips to Costco and grocery store for lunch stuff - instead of one trip for the week .... it’s frustrating
Samesies!!! Essential here as well. I work for a construction company on a computer at a desk!! :rolleyes: I could totally be working from home!!!

What do you think the death rates would have been had the world not "closed down"?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members