Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
GOVE on PM: “We are all praying he makes a good recovery”

Confirms PM is not on a ventilator but “has received oxygen support.”

Gove “not aware” whether the PM has pneumonia.

Beth Rigby on Twitter

Gove also says Number 10 will update the country if there is any change in the Prime Minister's condition.

Beth Rigby on Twitter

Attention Amazon Fresh shoppers! Toilet papers are back in stock. I was able to place an order at midnight. That's when the delivery slot opens, I learned from a friend. And once you check out and pay, Amazon delivers, unlike Instacart that shoppers say out of stock during shopping.
Whew!

Toilet paper I got.

I need a decent thermometer for just in case. I have the old mercury ones, but can't read the darn numbers. Can't tell where the shiny mercury stops on the glare of the glass!

So, I bought a new kind online, but it was way off so I returned it. Then, out of desperation I got one at the Dollar Tree and it gives me fake temperatures.

They took my temp at the hospital pharmacy today without me even knowing it. Wow, I want that thermometer.
I have been trying to get a decent thermometer too. It is an elusive thing right now.

Our old one, we had to use it in our dog's butt when he was sick last year....:eek:...so we won't use that one for us anymore...:confused:

I have ordered good digital ones from Amazon, target, CVS, and Walmart... GOT ZERO thermometers so far...lol

Beth Rigby on Twitter

Gove also says Number 10 will update the country if there is any change in the Prime Minister's condition.

Beth Rigby on Twitter

Hope he's responding. I can't help but wonder if they are trying the hydroxychloroquine on PM Boris Johnson. You know, I, myself take it for RA. I keep seeing a few people now and then swear they started getting well from the virus soon after taking it. I'm sure, I am positive, that Trump suggested it to Boris. Trump believes it is a possible answer, but others aren't so sure.

Beth Rigby on Twitter

Beth Rigby on Twitter
Hmmmm the "not aware" comment eh.

Lots of love for Boris on social media here, hoping he has a strong day.

I have been trying to get a decent thermometer too. It is an elusive thing right now.

Our old one, we had to use it in our dog's butt when he was sick last year....:eek:...so we won't use that one for us anymore...:confused:

I have ordered good digital ones from Amazon, target, CVS, and Walmart... GOT ZERO thermometers so far...lol

Laughing about your thermometer loss to your dog's butt. Yes, best to reserve it for the dog now. :p I have several of those mercury ones, and I can't remember which one was used as the anal thermometer. Yuck, forget that.
If you ever get a good one please let me know. :)

Hope he's responding. I can't help but wonder if they are trying the hydroxychloroquine on PM Boris Johnson. You know, I, myself take it for RA. I keep seeing a few people now and then swear they started getting well from the virus soon after taking it. I'm sure, I am positive, that Trump suggested it to Boris. Trump believes it is a possible answer, but others aren't so sure.

High doses of vitamin C is another possible option

Good morning everyone.
Three hours sleep, if that. You know when you are so tired you feel hungover? That’s me this morning. Yuck. Coffee is in order, as soon as I get out from under a pile of cats.
I was dreading seeing the news this morning but yay, Boris made it through the night at least. Four weeks ago this morning, I was on a flight to Glasgow and if I’d have known then I’d be writing about being glad the PM pulled through a night in ICU...how quickly life has become unrecognisable from what it was.
On my gratitude list today is a loaf of bread I made on Sunday. It’s so, so good - I may well emerge from this an artisanal baker lol. So I am going to have breakfast in the garden - bread, posh tomatoes and basil. And copious amounts of coffee. The sun is still shining, we’ve made it through another week and I keep reminding myself there is still so much to be grateful for.
Stay safe today, everyone ❤️

I have a dozen surgical masks, but I have saved my last 6 that I used, and put them in the sun for 4 days each, thinking that was cleaning them---but maybe not?
Also from the article The coronavirus can live on a surgical mask for 7 days, cloth for 2 days, and paper for 3 hours. Here's how to disinfect surfaces properly.

...The Lancet study found a similar link between the virus' lifespan and the surrounding temperature. At 4 degrees Celsius (39 degrees Fahrenheit), the virus lasted up to two weeks in a test tube. When the temperature was turned up to 37 degrees Celsius (99 degrees Fahrenheit), that lifespan dropped to one day.

That's because some coronaviruses, including this new one, have a viral envelope: a fat layer that protects viral particles when traveling from person to person in the air. That sheath can dry out, however, killing the virus. So higher humidity, moderate temperatures, low wind, and a solid surface are all good for a coronavirus' survival, Graham said.
---------------------------------------------
So maybe keeping your masks in the hot car worked well to keep you still healthy. Hopefully forever!!

High doses of vitamin C is another possible option

BTW, did you read back thread how I got shorted on my Rx refill of the Hydroxychloroquine because of all the talk about it. There's a shortage of it now. Only got 14 pills instead of the usual 100, but it's counted as a full refill. I don't mind if it turns out to really help save lives. It helps with my RA a lot.

Attention Amazon Fresh shoppers! Toilet papers are back in stock. I was able to place an order at midnight. That's when the delivery slot opens, I learned from a friend. And once you check out and pay, Amazon delivers, unlike Instacart that shoppers say out of stock during shopping.
Whew!

I think you're right in that "midnight" is the answer to most of the online restocking mysteries. I was going to check my local store at 7, but I found I was up now so I looked, and as of 3:45AM, (1), next Tuesday had appeared in the scheduler (wasn't there last night); and (2), was... already filled up. blah.

Last edited:
I think you're right in that "midnight" is the answer to most of the online restocking mysteries. I was going to check my local store at 7, but I found I was up now so I looked, and as of 3:45PM, (1), next Tuesday had appeared in the scheduler (wasn't there last night); and (2), was... already filled up. blah.
It was a beautiful sight when all those available time slot appeared. Right at Midnight. Good luck to you!

Boris Johnson in intensive care, US death toll rises above 10,000: Today's Covid-19 main points

(Ireland)

LATE LAST NIGHT, 10 Downing Street confirmed that UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson had been taken to intensive care after his symptoms of Covid-19 worsened.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and Tánaiste Simon Coveney wished the prime minister a speedy recovery from the virus, and Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab will “deputise where necessary” for Johnson while he’s unwell.

At home, a further 16 deaths from the virus were announced here, bringing the death toll to 174 so far. A further 370 cases bringing the total number of confirmed cases in Ireland to 5,364.

Here are today’s Covid-19 main points:

It might have something to do with the fact that Canada is the only country in the world to supply the raw material for making the masks.

"Harmac Pacific, is the world’s only producer of the particular grade of paper pulp used in the manufacture of surgical masks and gowns."

Trump: “Stop sending N95 masks to Canada!” (Canada is the only supplier of key medical supply material) - PortandTerminal.com

Last edited:
Coronavirus: Boris Johnson is 'not on a ventilator' after spending night in intensive care
Coronavirus: Boris Johnson is 'not on a ventilator' after spending night in intensive care
The PM's condition "emphasises the importance" of Britons following the rules of the coronavirus lockdown, says Michael Gove.

Boris Johnson is "receiving the best care" after spending the night in intensive care, Michael Gove has told Sky News.

Mr Gove said that the prime minister "has not been on a ventilator" but has received "oxygen support" - in a separate interview earlier with LBC.

"He is kept, of course, under close supervision. By being in intensive care if there is further support he needs it is there at hand. But the Prime Minister has not been on a ventilator," he said.

The Cabinet Office minister told Sky News that Mr Johnson has given his ministers "clear instructions about what he wants us to do" in his absence.

Downing Street will be issuing updates "throughout the day", Mr Gove added.

And he said the fact that the PM is in intensive care "emphasises the importance" of Britons following the rules of the coronavirus lockdown.

I don't think they are trying hydroxychloroquine on him. I bet he has access to experimental anti-virals, at least Trump offered those to him.
"In an evening press briefing, Trump did not name the companies or the drugs, but earlier in the day he held a conference about therapeutic drugs with the heads of four US pharmaceutical and biotech companies: Amgen, Genetech, Gilead, and Regeneron."
Trump: I have asked US pharma CEOs to offer Johnson experimental Covid-19 treatments

Whew!
Toilet paper is back in stock on amazon prime, but no paper towels...At least I couldn't get any. Will keep on trying.

These are the Director General’s Opening Remarks Only. These transcripts do not include the VERY IMPORTANT Q&A sessions with Dr. Mike and Dr. Maria.

Here is the link for the full video briefings including all Q&As:

Press briefings

Opening Remarks:

6 April 2020
WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 6 April 2020

6 April 2020

““Good morning, good afternoon and good evening.

The COVID-19 pandemic continues to take a heavy toll on families, communities and nations the world over.

But it’s also giving rise to incredible acts of generosity, solidarity and cooperation.

We have said consistently that we’re all in this together, and we can only succeed together. We need an all-of-society approach, with everyone playing their part.

That includes people in the entertainment industry.

Today I’m delighted to be joined by one of the biggest names in entertainment in the world - Lady Gaga, and by my friend Hugh Evans, the founder and CEO of Global Citizen.

WHO has been working with Global Citizen for several weeks on the “Together at Home” concert series, with artists like Chris Martin and John Legend giving free online performances.

Now we’re working with Lady Gaga and Global Citizen to take this concept and make it even bigger, through the “One World: Together at Home” virtual global special on Saturday, the 18th of April.

It’s now my great pleasure to invite Lady Gaga and Hugh Evans to say more about this very special event.

[LADY GAGA AND HUGH EVANS ADDRESSED THE PRESS CONFERENCE]

Once again, I’d like to thank Lady Gaga and Hugh Evans for their partnership and leadership. We had a call last week, and I was so amazed by the energy and passion of Lady Gaga, and her incredible commitment to humanity. That’s when I said I think what she has planned can happen to bring the world together, to raise awareness and mobilize resources to fight the pandemic. I thank her for incredible passion and leadership, and my friend Hugh Evans for joining the dots, and for his leadership.

We all look forward to joining you for the “One World: Together at Home” concert on the 18th of April.

As the pandemic continues, we recognize that individuals and governments want to do everything they can to protect themselves and others – and so do we.

We understand that some countries have recommended or are considering the use of both medical and non-medical masks in the general population to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

First and foremost, medical masks must be prioritized for health workers on the front lines of the response.

We know medical masks can help to protect health workers, but they’re in short supply globally.

We are concerned that the mass use of medical masks by the general population could exacerbate the shortage of these specialized masks for the people who need them most.

In some places, these shortages are putting health workers in real danger.

In health care facilities, WHO continues to recommend the use of medical masks, respirators and other personal protective equipment for health workers.

In the community, we recommend the use of medical masks by people who are sick and those who are caring for a sick person at home.

WHO has been evaluating the use of medical and non-medical masks for COVID-19 more widely.

Today, WHO is issuing guidance and criteria to support countries in making that decision.

For example, countries could consider using masks in communities where other measures such as cleaning hands and physical distancing are harder to achieve because of lack of water or cramped living conditions.

If masks are worn, they must be used safely and properly. WHO has guidance on how to put on, take off and dispose of masks.

What is clear is that there is limited research in this area.

We encourage countries that are considering the use of masks for the general population to study their effectiveness so we can all learn.

Most importantly, masks should only ever be used as part of a comprehensive package of interventions.

There is no black or white answer, and no silver bullet. Masks alone cannot stop the pandemic. Countries must continue to find, test, isolate and treat every case and trace every contact.

Mask or no mask, there are proven things all of us can do to protect ourselves and others – keep your distance, clean your hands, cough or sneeze into your elbow, and avoid touching your face.

Less than 100 days since WHO was notified about the new coronavirus, research has accelerated at incredible speed.

The viral genome was mapped in early January and shared globally, which enabled tests to be developed and vaccine research to start.

More than 70 countries have joined WHO's Solidarity Trial to accelerate the search for an effective treatment. And about 20 institutions and companies are racing to develop a vaccine.

WHO is committed to ensuring that as medicines and vaccines are developed, they are shared equitably with all countries and people.

I want to thank the Medicines Patent Pool and UNITAID for the initiative they announced last Friday to include medicines and diagnostics for COVID-19 in their licensing pool.

I also want to thank the President of Costa Rica, President Carlos Alvarado, and the Health Minister, Daniel Salas, for their proposal to create a pool of rights to tests, medicines and vaccines, with free access or licensing on reasonable and affordable terms for all countries. Muchas gracias, Mr President.

I support this proposal, and we are working with Costa Rica to finalize the details.

Poorer countries and fragile economies stand to face the biggest shock from this pandemic, and leaving anyone unprotected will only prolong the health crisis and harm economies more.

I call on all countries, companies and research institutions to support open data, open science and open collaboration so that all people can enjoy the benefits of science and research.

Finally, we are nearing the end of the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. If there are no more cases, the government of DRC could declare the outbreak over as early as this Sunday.

We’re not there yet, and we remain on full response mode. We’re continuing to investigate alerts and to test samples.

This would not have been possible without the incredible health workers who have put themselves at risk for more than 18 months to stop this outbreak.

Just as health workers are putting themselves in danger to save lives from COVID-19, health workers in DRC faced the double threat of fighting a deadly virus in one of the world’s most dangerous and unstable regions – exposing themselves to Ebola and bullets.

Tomorrow is WHO’s birthday – a day we celebrate each year as World Health Day.

This year, we’re paying tribute to the incredible contribution of all health workers, especially nurses and midwives.

Nurses and midwives are the backbone of every health system. They’re there from the first moments of life to the last.

Tomorrow we are publishing our first report on the state of the world’s nursing, which highlights gaps and makes recommendations for all countries.

One of the lessons I hope the world learns from COVID-19 is that we must invest in health workers – not only to protect lives, but also to protect livelihoods.

Thank you.”

——

3 April 2020
WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 3 April 2020

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening.

As Tarik said, we’re delighted to be joined today by Kristalina Georgieva, the Managing-Director of the International Monetary Fund. Welcome, my sister.

Kristalina will say more in a few minutes about the economic impact of the pandemic and what the IMF is doing to support countries and the global economy.

More than 1 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 have now been reported to WHO, including more than 50,000 deaths.

But we know that this is much more than a health crisis. We are all aware of the profound social and economic consequences of the pandemic.

The restrictions many countries have put in place to protect health are taking a heavy toll on the income of individuals and families, and the economies of communities and nations.

We are in a shared struggle to protect both lives and livelihoods.

In the short term, countries can ease the burden on their populations through social welfare programs to ensure people have food and other life essentials.

For some countries, debt relief is essential to enable them to take care of their people and avoid economic collapse. This is an area of cooperation between WHO, the IMF and the World Bank.

But ultimately, the best way for countries to end restrictions and ease their economic effects is to attack the virus, with the aggressive and comprehensive package of measures that we have spoken about many times before: find, test, isolate and treat every case, and trace every contact.

If countries rush to lift restrictions too quickly, the virus could resurge and the economic impact could be even more severe and prolonged.

Financing the health response is therefore an essential investment not just in saving lives, but in the longer-term social and economic recovery.

There are three main areas for countries to focus on.

First, we call on all countries to ensure core public health measures are fully funded, including case-finding, testing, contact tracing, collecting data, and communication and information campaigns.

Second, we also call on countries and partners to strengthen the foundations of health systems. That means health workers must be paid their salaries, and health facilities need a reliable supply of funding to purchase essential medical supplies.

Third, we call on all countries to remove financial barriers to care.

If people delay or forego care because they can’t afford it, they not only harm themselves, they make the pandemic harder to control and put society at risk.

Several countries are suspending user fees and providing free testing and care for COVID-19, regardless of a person’s insurance, citizenship, or residence status.

We encourage these measures. This is in an unprecedented crisis, which demands an unprecedented response.

Suspending user fees should be supported with measures to compensate providers for the loss of revenues.

Governments should also consider using cash transfers to the most vulnerable households to overcome barriers to access.

This may be particularly important for refugees, internally displaced persons, migrants and the homeless.

===

The pandemic is also having an effect on the fight against other diseases, like polio.

As you know, in recent years we have driven polio to the brink of eradication. This has been a massive global effort, started by Rotary, supported by many other partners, and led by thousands of health workers, vaccinating children in some very difficult and dangerous areas.

Many of those health workers are now supporting the COVID-19 response.

They are tracing contacts, finding cases and providing public health information to communities.

To reduce the risk of increasing transmission of COVID-19, the polio oversight board has made the hard decision to suspend house-to-house vaccination campaigns, knowing that this may lead to an increase in polio cases.

To reduce this risk, we will support countries to maintain essential immunization for all vaccine preventable diseases.

WHO has published guidance for countries on how to maintain essential health services even while responding to this crisis.

The Global Polio Eradication Initiative is working to ensure that once it is safe to do so, countries can be supported to rapidly restart polio vaccination campaigns.

While all our energy may be focused on COVID-19 now, our commitment to eradicating polio is unshakeable.

Sadly, there are reports from some countries of an increase in domestic violence since the COVID-19 outbreak began.

As people are asked to stay at home, the risk of intimate partner violence is likely to increase.

Women in abusive relationships are more likely to be exposed to violence, as are their children, as family members spend more time in close contact, and families cope with additional stress and potential economic or job losses.

Women may have less contact with family and friends who may provide support and protection from violence.

We call on countries to include services for addressing domestic violence as an essential service that must continue during the COVID-19 response.

If you are experiencing or at risk of domestic violence, speak to supportive family and friends, seek support from a hotline, or seek out local services for survivors.

Make a plan to protect yourself and your children any way you can. This could include having a neighbour, friend, relative, or shelter identified to go to should you need to leave the house immediately.

There is never any excuse for violence. We abhor all violence of all forms, at all times.

Finally, the global response to COVID-19 would not be possible without the generosity of countries and partners.

Two months ago, WHO issued its Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan, with an initial ask of US$675 million to support the response.

I’m delighted to say that almost US$690 million has now been pledged or received. Of this amount, US$300 million has been given to support WHO’s work, and the rest has been given on a bilateral basis, or to other organizations involved in the response.

I’d like to thank the State of Kuwait, which today is becoming one of the largest donors, with a total of US$60 million.

WHO’s Solidarity Response Fund has now raised more than US$127 million from more than 219,000 individuals and organizations. I’d like to thank Tencent for its contribution of US$10 million.

I’m also pleased to announce that I have invited Unicef to join the Solidarity Response Fund. Unicef has extensive experience both in fundraising and in implementing programmes, and our partnership will help us to work together closely to save lives. Thank you so much, my sister Henrietta, for accepting my invitation.

We still have a long way to go in this fight. WHO is working every day with all countries and partners to save lives, and to mitigate the social and economic impact of the pandemic.

The IMF is a key partner, and I’d now like to hand the floor to my sister Kristalina to make a few remarks. Thank you so much for joining us Kristalina.

Thank you.”

—-

2 April 2020
WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the Mission briefing on COVID-19 - 2 April 2020

Good morning.

I’d like to begin by thanking Member States for last week’s briefing.

It was inspiring to hear from China, Japan, the Republic of Korea and Singapore about their experience and the lessons they have learned.

We plan to do another similar briefing in a few weeks’ time, when we will have even more experiences to share from Europe and elsewhere.

As I said at yesterday’s press conference, this is a new virus, and the first pandemic caused by a coronavirus – two firsts.

We are learning as we go, reviewing the evidence and adapting our recommendations as necessary.

In the next day or two, we will reach more than 1 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 globally, and 50,000 deaths.

This virus, which was unknown to us three months ago, has exposed the weaknesses and inequities in our health systems and societies, our lack of preparedness, and the gaps in our supply chains and other essential systems.

We have to prepare our health systems for large numbers of cases, even as we maintain essential health services.

We know that when health systems are overwhelmed, mortality from vaccine-preventable and other treatable conditions will increase dramatically.

Gaps in essential care can result in many more deaths than the coronavirus itself.

WHO has recently published guidance on maintaining essential health services while responding to COVID-19.

This is one of more than 40 pieces of detailed, evidence-based guidance to guide countries in the response.

Every day, we are engaged in numerous discussions with our extensive networks of experts to refine our guidance to reflect the best science.

Our press conferences are a good way for us to highlight key messages for the world at large, but they are no substitute for technical guidance. We urge all countries to read and implement this guidance.

We also recognize the need to adapt our guidance for different settings, especially in the poorest and most vulnerable communities.

For example, we recommend handwashing and physical distancing, but we recognize that we need innovative solutions for communities that lack clean water, or live in cramped conditions.

WHO, UNICEF and the International Federation of the Red Cross is calling for countries to provide free public hand hygiene stations in areas without access to water and sanitizer.

We are already seeing the economic and social effects of this pandemic in high-income countries. In poor communities, those effects could be even more severe and long-lasting.

We are calling on governments to provide a social safety net, so that vulnerable people have food and other essentials during this crisis.

WHO, the World Bank and the IMF have united in a call for debt relief for developing countries, to enable them to implement those measures.

I am glad to report that our research and development efforts are moving quickly.

The Solidarity trial, which is assessing potential treatments for COVID-19, has already brought in 74 countries, which have either joined the trial or are in the process of joining.

More than 200 patients have been randomly assigned to one of the study arms.

Two months ago, we issued our first Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan, with an initial ask of $675 million for the first three months of the response.

As of yesterday, I’m delighted to say that $677 million has been pledged or received.

Of that amount, $300 million has been pledged or received for WHO’s operations, and the remainder has been given to partners or bilaterally.

I want to put on record my deep gratitude to all Member States and partners for their generosity and solidarity.

But as you know, the pandemic is many times larger than it was in early February, and the global needs have also increased significantly.

WHO and partners will require much more support over the coming weeks and months, and we count on the continued support from governments, the private sector and the global community.

We are now finalizing the second SPRP, and we will be presenting more details shortly.

WHO is committed to working with all Member States to support you with the best evidence, to save lives.

I thank you.

—-

1 April 2020
WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 1 April 2020

“Good morning, good afternoon and good evening.

As we enter the fourth month since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, I am deeply concerned about the rapid escalation and global spread of infection.

Over the past 5 weeks, we have witnessed a near exponential growth in the number of new cases, reaching almost every country, territory and area.

The number of deaths has more than doubled in the past week. In the next few days we will reach 1 million confirmed cases, and 50 thousand deaths.

While relatively lower numbers of confirmed cases have been reported from Africa, and from Central and South America, we realize that COVID-19 could have serious social, economic and political consequences for these regions.

It is critical that we ensure these countries are well equipped to detect, test, isolate and treat cases, and identify contacts – I am encouraged to see that this is occurring in many countries, despite limited resources.

Many countries are asking people to stay at home and shutting down population movement, which can help to limit transmission of the virus, but can have unintended consequences for the poorest and most vulnerable people.

I have called on governments to put in place social welfare measures to ensure vulnerable people have food and other life essentials during this crisis.

In India, for example, Prime Minister Modi has announced a $24 billion package, including free food rations for 800 million disadvantaged people, cash transfers to 204 million poor women and free cooking gas for 80 million households for the next 3 months.

Many developing countries will struggle to implement social welfare programs of this nature. For those countries, debt relief is essential to enable them to take care of their people and avoid economic collapse.

This is a call from WHO, the World Bank and the IMF – debt relief for developing countries.

===

Three months ago, we knew almost nothing about this virus.

Collectively, we have learned an enormous amount.

And every day, we learn more.

WHO is committed to serving all people everywhere with the best evidence to protect their health.

WHO develops guidance based on the totality of evidence collected from around the world.

Every day, our staff talk to thousands of experts around the world to collect and distil that evidence and experience.

We constantly review and update our guidance as we learn more, and we are working to adapt it for specific contexts.

For example, we recommend handwashing and physical distancing, but we also recognize this can be a practical challenge for those who lack access to clean water, or who live in cramped conditions.

Together with Unicef and the International Federation of the Red Cross, we’ve published new guidance for improving access to handwashing.

The guidance recommends that countries set up handwashing stations at the entrance to public buildings, offices, bus stops and train stations.

We’re also working hard with researchers all over the world to generate the evidence about which medicines are most effective for treating COVID-19.

There has been an extraordinary response to our call for countries to join the Solidarity trial, which is comparing four drugs and drug combinations.

So far, 74 countries have either joined the trial or are in the process of joining.

As of this morning, more than 200 patients had been randomly assigned to one of the study arms.

Each new patient who joins the trial gets us one step closer to knowing which drugs work.

We’re also continuing to study the evidence about the use of masks.

WHO’s priority is that frontline health workers are able to access essential personal protective equipment, including medical masks and respirators.

That’s why we are continuing to work with governments and manufacturers to step up the production and distribution of personal protective equipment, including masks.

There’s an ongoing debate about the use of masks at the community level.

WHO recommends the use of medical masks for people who are sick and those caring for them.

However, in these circumstances, masks are only effective when combined with other protective measures.

WHO continues to gather all available evidence and continues to evaluate the potential use of masks more broadly to control COVID-19 transmission at the community level.

This is still a very new virus, and we are learning all the time.

As the pandemic evolves, so does the evidence, and so does our advice.

But what doesn’t change is WHO’s commitment to protecting the health of all people, based on the best science, without fear or favour.

I thank you.”

—-

30 March 2020
WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 30 March 2020

“Good morning, good afternoon and good evening, wherever you are.

The COVID-19 pandemic is straining health systems in many countries.

The rapidly increasing demand on health facilities and health workers threatens to leave some health systems overstretched and unable to operate effectively.

Previous outbreaks have demonstrated that when health systems are overwhelmed, deaths due to vaccine-preventable and treatable conditions increase dramatically.

Even though we're in the midst of a crisis, essential health services must continue. Babies are still being born, vaccines must still be delivered, and people still need life-saving treatment for a range of other diseases.

WHO has published guidelines to help countries balance the demands of responding directly to COVID-19, while maintaining essential health services.

This includes a set of targeted, immediate actions to reorganize and maintain access to high-quality essential health services, including routine vaccination; care during pregnancy and childbirth; treatment for infectious and noncommunicable diseases and mental health conditions; blood services, and more.

That includes ensuring an adequate health workforce to deal with the many health needs other than COVID-19.

For example, we’re pleased by the 20 000 health workers in the UK who have offered to return to work, and that other countries such as the Russian Federation are involving medical students and trainees in the response.

To help countries manage the surge in COVID-19 cases while maintaining essential services, WHO has also published a detailed, practical manual on how to set up and manage treatment centres for COVID-19.

The manual covers three major interventions:

First, how to set up screening and triage at health facilities, using a repurposed building or a tent.

Second, how to set up community facilities to care for mild patients;

And third, how to set up a treatment centre, by repurposing hospital wards or entire hospitals, or by setting up a new hospital in a tent.

The manual covers structural design, infection prevention and control measures, and ventilation systems.

This is a life-saving instruction manual to deal with the surge of cases that some countries are facing right now.

These facilities will also have longer-term benefits for health systems once the current crisis is over.

In addition to having facilities for patients, it’s also vital that countries have sufficient supplies of diagnostics, protective equipment and other medical supplies.

Ensuring free movement of essential health products is vital for saving lives and curbing the social and economic impacts of the pandemic.

Earlier today I spoke to trade ministers from the G20 countries about ways to address the chronic shortage of personal protective equipment and other essential medical supplies.

We call on countries to work with companies to increase production; to ensure the free movement of essential health products; and to ensure equitable distribution of those products, based on need.

Specific attention should be given to low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America.

In addition, WHO is working intensively with several partners to massively increase access to life-saving products, including diagnostics, PPE, medical oxygen, ventilators and more.

We understand that many countries are implementing measures that restrict the movement of people.

In implementing these measures, it’s vital to respect the dignity and welfare of all people.

It’s also important that governments keep their people informed about the intended duration of measures, and to provide support for older people, refugees, and other vulnerable groups.

Governments need to ensure the welfare of people who have lost their income and are in desperate need of food, sanitation and other essential services.

Countries should work hand-in-hand with communities to build trust and support resilience and mental health.

===

Two months ago, WHO published the Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan, with an initial ask of 675 million US dollars to support countries to prepare for and respond to COVID-19.

We’re very grateful to the many countries and foundations who have contributed; more than 622 million dollars have been received so far, and we would like to thank the King Salman Center for Humanitarian Relief for its contribution of 10 million US dollars.

We continue to be encouraged by the signs of global solidarity to confront and overcome this common threat.

The commitment of G20 countries to work together to improve the production and equitable supply of essential products shows that the world is coming together.

Yesterday I sent a tweet with a single word: humility. Some people asked me why.

COVID-19 is reminding us how vulnerable we are, how connected we are and how dependent we are on each other.

In the eye of a storm like COVID, scientific and public health tools are essential, but so are humility and kindness.

With solidarity, humility and assuming the best of each other, we can – and will – overcome this together.

I thank you.”

—-

30 March 2020
WHO Director-Generals remarks for G20 trade ministers

“Excellencies,

Good afternoon and thank you for the opportunity of joining you today.

As of this morning, more than 630,000 cases of COVID-19 have been reported globally, and more than 30,000 deaths.

As you know, the pandemic has had severe impacts on many parts of life, including the global economy and trade.

But trade is also key to bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control.

Ensuring free movement of essential health products is vital for saving lives and curbing the social and economic impacts of the pandemic.

Trade bans are proliferating. This is slowing the response and restricting countries from getting desperately needed supplies for diagnostic tests, protective gear for health workers, and critical equipment such as ventilators.

Newly erected trade barriers not only create potentially catastrophic slowdowns for the COVID-19 pandemic, but for other diseases and disorders.

The G20 countries are uniquely placed to resolve these issues.

There are several measures you can take to scale up the production, movement and distribution of critical medical products.

First, we call on countries to work with companies to increase production of essential medical supplies, for both their domestic markets and export;

We call on companies and wholesalers not to use the current crisis to hike prices;

And to share knowledge to broaden the production base.

And to consider using compulsory licenses where patent holders cannot meet demand at affordable prices.

Second, ensure the free movement of essential health products.

We call on all countries to keep borders open and refrain from implementing any policies that could disrupt supply chains, including export bans and stockpiling;

To maintain land, air and sea cargo capacity and prioritize transport of needed medical equipment and personnel;

To create priority “green lanes” for essential goods between countries;

And to streamline customs and market authorization procedures.

Third, equitable access.

Equity is critical. This applies to information, innovation, essential medical equipment and supplies, as well as medicines, vaccines, and diagnostics.

Clinical trials are now underway for both medicines to treat COVID-19, and vaccines to prevent it.

Once effective tools are developed, it’s vital that we collectively coordinate the availability, affordability and distribution to ensure those who are most in need get access as soon as possible.

Fourth, we must pay particular attention to countries in Africa and other low-income countries. Restrictive measures risk adversely impacting access to essential medical supplies for countries in Africa. We must work together to ensure we safeguard access to essential medical products for low-income countries including countries in Africa.

This pandemic reminds us that we have a shared destiny.

None of us, none of our health systems, none of our economies, operate in a vacuum.

We are interdependent. We cannot win without solidarity.

As long as COVID-19 persists in one country, it is a threat to all of us.

I thank you.”

—-

27 March 2020
WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 27 March 2020

“Good morning, good afternoon and good evening, wherever you are.

There are now more than half a million confirmed cases of COVID-19 and more than 20,000 deaths.

These are tragic numbers, but let's also remember that around the world, more than 100,000 people have recovered.

Yesterday, I had the honour of addressing an extraordinary meeting of leaders from the G20 countries.

My message was threefold: we must fight, unite and ignite.

Fight to stop the virus with every resource at our disposal;

Unite to confront the pandemic together. We are one humanity, with one, common enemy. No country can fight alone; we can only fight together.

And ignite the industrial might and innovation of the G20 to produce and distribute the tools needed to save lives.

We must also make a promise to future generations, saying never again.

Viral outbreaks are a fact of life. How much damage they do is something we can influence.

I thank the G20 countries for their commitment to fight the pandemic, safeguard the global economy, address international trade disruptions and enhance global cooperation.

This is especially important for countries who are not part of the G20 but will be affected by decisions made by G20 countries.

Earlier today, we held a briefing with around 50 Ministers of Health from around the world at which China, Japan, the Republic of Korea and Singapore shared their experiences and the lessons they have learned.

Several common themes emerged about what has worked:

The need for early detection and isolation of confirmed cases;

Identification, follow-up and quarantine of contacts;

The need to optimize care;

And the need to communicate to build trust and engage communities in the fight.

Countries also expressed several common challenges.

The chronic global shortage of personal protective equipment is now one of the most urgent threats to our collective ability to save lives.

WHO has shipped almost 2 million individual items of protective gear to 74 countries that need it most, and we’re preparing to send a similar amount to a further 60 countries.

But much more is needed.

This problem can only be solved with international cooperation and international solidarity.

When health workers are at risk, we’re all at risk.

Health workers in low- and middle-income countries deserve the same protection as those in the wealthiest countries.

To support our call on all countries to conduct aggressive case-finding and testing, we’re also working urgently to massively increase the production and capacity for testing around the world.

One of the most important areas of international cooperation is research and development.

A vaccine is still at least 12 to 18 months away.

In the meantime, we recognize that there is an urgent need for therapeutics to treat patients and save lives.

Today we are delighted to announce that in Norway and Spain, the first patients will shortly be enrolled in the Solidarity Trial, which will compare the safety and effectiveness of four different drugs or drug combinations against COVID-19.

This is a historic trial which will dramatically cut the time needed to generate robust evidence about what drugs work.

More than 45 countries are contributing to the trial, and more have expressed interest. The more countries who join the trial, the faster we will have results.

In the meantime, we call on individuals and countries to refrain from using therapeutics that have not been demonstrated to be effective in the treatment of COVID-19.

The history of medicine is strewn with examples of drugs that worked on paper, or in a test tube, but didn't work in humans or were actually harmful.

During the most recent Ebola epidemic, for example, some medicines that were thought to be effective were found not to be as effective as other medicines when they were compared during a clinical trial.

We must follow the evidence. There are no short-cuts.

We also need to ensure that using unproven drugs does not create a shortage of those medicines to treat diseases for which they have proven effective.

As the pandemic evolves and more countries are affected, we are learning more and more lessons about what works and what doesn't.

WHO is continuing to support all countries in the response.

We’ve published more than 40 guidance documents on our website, providing detailed, evidence-based recommendations for governments, hospitals, health workers, members of the public and more.

More than 1 million health workers have been trained through our courses on OpenWHo_Org. We will continue to train more.

We’re also delighted to report that the COVID-19 Solidarity Fund has now received donations of more than US$ 108 million in just two weeks, from 203,000 individuals and organizations.

Thank you to each and every one of you.

The English version of our WhatsApp Health Alert now has more than 12 million users globally, and the Arabic, French and Spanish versions were launched today. More languages will be added, including Bangla, Chinese, Hindi, Kurdish, Portuguese, Russian, Somali, Urdu, Swahili and more.

I’ve said before that crises like this bring out the best and worst in humanity.

We have recently seen an increase in scams, cyberattacks and impersonation using WHO, my name and COVID-19.

I am very grateful to those working in various national organizations providing critical cybersecurity intelligence to the WHO Cybersecurity team.

Thank you for your efforts to work with us to protect the health systems, health workers and members of the general public who rely on our information systems and digital tools. Special thanks to Microsoft for assisting on this.

I’d like to end with something Singapore’s Minister of Health, Gan Kim Yong, said during today’s briefing.

We are only at the beginning of this fight.

We need to stay calm, stay united and work together.

I thank you.”

—-

26 March 2020
WHO Director General's remarks at the G20 Extraordinary Leaders’ Summit on COVID-19 - 26 March 2020

“My brothers and sisters,

We come together to confront the defining health crisis of our time.

We are at war with a virus that threatens to tear us apart – if we let it.

Almost half a million people have already been infected, and more than 20,000 have lost their lives.

The pandemic is accelerating at an exponential rate.

The first 100 thousand cases took 67 days. The second 100 thousand took 11 days, the third 100 thousand took just 4 days and the fourth 100 thousand just 2 days.

Without aggressive action in all countries, millions could die.

The full social, economic and political fallout, only time will tell.

But we know that the price we end up paying depends on the choices we make now.

This is a global crisis that demands a global response.

Today, I have three requests for our esteemed leaders:

First, fight. Fight hard. Fight like hell.

Fight like your lives depend on it – because they do.

The best and only way to protect life, livelihoods and economies is to stop the virus.

No excuses. No regrets.

Thank you for the sacrifices your governments and people have already made.

Many of your countries have imposed drastic social and economic restrictions, shutting schools and businesses, and asking people to stay at home.

These measures will take some of the heat out of the epidemic, but they will not extinguish it.

We must do more.

We must immediately build, expand, train and deploy health workers to find, test, isolate and treat every case and trace every contact.

This is not an option; it’s an obligation.

Second, unite.

No country can solve this crisis alone.

We’re all in this together, and we will only get out of it together.

That means a paradigm shift in global solidarity – in sharing experiences, expertise and resources, and in working together to keep supply lines open, and supporting nations who need our support.

The global shortage of personal protective equipment is putting front-line responders in danger – and that puts all of us in danger.

We call on all of your nations to increase production, remove export bans and ensure equity of distribution.

Third, ignite.

Repurpose the industrial might of your nations for this effort.

Ignite global production for the tools we need to save lives now.

Ignite innovation for vaccines and therapeutics.

And ignite a global movement to ensure this never happens again.

The actions we take now will have consequences for decades to come.

COVID-19 is taking so much from us. But it is also giving us something: the opportunity to come together as one against a common threat, and to build a common future.

We may speak different tongues and adhere to different creeds, but we are made of the same stuff. We are one human race.

Fight.

Unite.

Ignite.

And let our singular resolve be: never again.

Shukran jazeelan, Your Majesty. Thank you so much.”

—-

Link to all WHO Director General Transcripts:
Speeches

TY Margarita,

In the 6th April one he mentions this

"Less than 100 days since WHO was notified about the new coronavirus, research has accelerated at incredible speed. "

and on the 1st April he mentions they had known about it for 3 months so from this it seems they only learnt about this virus from the end of December.

Incredibly how it has sped around the globe in that time and affected all our lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgieCat