DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Denver doctor's 4-year-old son diagnosed with COVID-19
—-

Coronavirus in Colorado, April 11: A look at the latest updates on COVID-19
—-

Colorado confirms 274 coronavirus-related deaths as outbreaks at nursing homes increase

“Health officials have reiterated that a lack of mass testing means the number of true cases in the state is likely four to 10 times higher.

• 34,800+people have been tested.

• Nearly 2,500 individuals were tested on Friday.

• 67 outbreaks at residential and non-hospital residential and non-hospital health care facilities

eight deaths at one Aurora facility has prompted a state investigation.

Last edited:
And each Korean residents get 2 masks per week from their government. (I don't have a link for this. This information is from my next next next door Korean neighbor who reads Korean paper)

This just seems so sensible, doesn't it?

Instead of making trying to find masks and hand sanitizer some sort of life-or-death individual gladiator competition

You're right. I shouldn't have said "all." Where I live I will say it's the vast, vast, vast majority. Particularly for those of us with underlying conditions who likely would perish once Covid got ahold of our lungs and other organs.
As to children, I have three young grandchildren. I know the percentage is low for kids but it does still happen. Even for a teenager in a remote indigenous tribe in Brazil. I also have a niece who's 24, and while more rare, people in their 20s and 30s, healthy people, are still dying.
I'm not willing to roll the dice. If there were no path out of it, there'd be no escape. But there is a path. Quarantine at home. And how blessed are we that this seemingly indestructible virus can actually be annihilated with soap and water!
So I'll be like Superman, in my Fortress of Solitude, and hope that helps the real supermen and superwomen working in health care to have fewer cases with which to contend.

TY so much for your post, Arkay. I agree with you 100%.

IMO, during this extremely challenging and difficult time, the most selfless loving action one can choose for the greater good of all humanity is to stay home (aside from those whose jobs have been defined as "essential").

Staying home and not physically interacting with anyone who is not a member of one's household is an act of love. It is Love in action. If I may be so bold, I will also say that it is Faith made manifest through works. A wise man said long ago: "Faith without works is dead, being alone". If we pray for the well-being and health of others, without giving them those things which are needful for the body (i.e. isolating at home in order to help prevent the spread of this killer virus), what good are our prayers?

IOW: If we pray for the pandemic to end, but don't each do our own part to halt the spread of the virus, then what good are prayers?

We live in this amazing age of social media technology that enables us to stay connected with those we love. What a gift of this technological age - to be able to stay connected, while isolating within our households.

In these dark days, I believe that humankind has awakened to what is truly valuable and will take the necessary steps to safeguard it now and in the days to come.

In these dark days, I believe that humankind is choosing Love and Life. Those whose priorities are otherwise are being exposed.

Nevertheless, I believe Love will prevail because I'm witnessing Love in action on a global scale.

Nail biters, please wash your hands often. I was watching this lady in a wheelchair in line at the hospital pharmacy where they made me go to pick up my shorted Rx. We were all spaced apart on circles, and there was nothing to do but people-watch. She had a mask on, but pulled it down to bite her nails.

By the time the relaxed measures take place, the USA will have peaked. We’ll be on the down side. And ready to get after it. If we waited, we’d be behind. It’s the lag time to get everyone to agree on a date to implement the change that you forgot to include in your bewilderment.

The entire country will not flatten the curve at the same time. Canada has something called the "maintenance phase." The curve has been flattened, for now, in BC. The goal is to maintain that. There is no "peak." Numbers went up, they flattened, the goal is to maintain and lower the numbers.

upload_2020-4-11_18-32-59.png

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-covid-19-maintenance-phase-april-easter-1.5528959

“When this all started, we got a call from a nurse in Victoria who was desperate for a place for her and her colleagues to self-isolate,” said Trina Notman, an Accent Inn spokesperson.

“She told us a lot of nurses were sleeping in their cars. This shocked us and we immediately put together this rock-bottom rate for essential service workers.

Accent Inns then partnered with the United Way Greater Victoria and created the Hotels for Frontline Workers Fund.

“A wonderful surprise was we were flooded with calls from people that actually want to pay for a night’s stay for these workers.”
Coronavirus: Free hotel room program for essential workers running out of funds

Opinions, from people like us, on these issues are different than calculated risk on these issues. There are so many people in prison for minor offenses, white collar crime, and soooooooo many other reasons. The issue of for-profit prisons is a horrible phenomenon in the US. I have to assume that the prison system is being somewhat strategic on who they let out. There will be mistakes... but letting a 66 year old sex offender out doesn't even bother me, if the system knows they are different than when they went in 30 years ago. If he has a home to go to, let him go and just be a slob at home. I understand where people are coming from on one level, but I do not think any of us know enough to make such blanket statements. I would listen to someone who really truly knows that the system in doing wrong, than all of us with couch opinions on the issue. If horrible things do start to happen, I will gladly change my opinion. But if it is a bunch of marijuana violators for the most part...so be it.

Coronavirus live updates: U.S. now leads world in deaths, passes 20,000 mark
''April 11, 2020, 7:51 PM EDT
The U.S. has now passed the 20,000 mark in the number of coronavirus deaths and leads the world in this grim tally, surpassing Italy for the first time.

The virus has killed 20,029 people in the United States, just above the number in Italy, according to NBC News' figures.

Worldwide, the death toll is more than 107,000, and the number of confirmed cases has surpassed 1.7 million, according to Johns Hopkins University.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top infectious disease expert in the U.S., has warned that it is too early to relax coronavirus restrictions.

"Now is not time to back off," Fauci said Friday,

Meanwhile, current and former U.S. officials have told NBC News that American spy agencies collected raw intelligence hinting at a public health crisis in Wuhan, China, in November, but the information was not understood as the first warning signs of an impending global pandemic.''6
''The intelligence came in the form of communications intercepts and overhead images showing increased activity at health facilities
, the officials said. The intelligence was distributed to some federal public health officials in the form of a "situation report" in late November, a former official briefed on the matter said. But there was no assessment that a lethal global outbreak was brewing at that time, a defense official said.''

bbm

I wish they would report those numbers on a per capita basis. The US population is about 5.5 times higher than Italy's

Very interesting interview with a researcher working on the vaccine.

Peter Hotez, MD, PhD.

He says 18 months is very unreasonable. The fastest time to develop and get approval for a vaccine was for mumps and that took 4 years.

He has some good perspectives on viral diseases and some caution about unrealistic expectations.

Coronavirus expert Peter Hotez: ‘Now's the time when you're at greatest risk of contracting the virus by being in crowds.’

There is no vaccine for the coronavirus - very ambitious to think that there will be one in 18-24 months.

Is Beijing covering up a real death toll of tens of thousands?

Incredibly, Beijing claims only 3,336 people have been killed by Covid-19 in China - just over a third of Britain's current total and one 30th of the global toll.

Chinese officials now report almost zero new infections. Even more astonishingly, China says only 119 people have died in its 25 provinces outside Hubei - many of them the size of European countries - while simultaneously killing more than 102,000 people outside China.

Is China covering up a death toll of tens of thousands? Video shows police beating fleeing residents | Daily Mail Online

Is Beijing covering up a real death toll of tens of thousands?

Incredibly, Beijing claims only 3,336 people have been killed by Covid-19 in China - just over a third of Britain's current total and one 30th of the global toll.

Chinese officials now report almost zero new infections. Even more astonishingly, China says only 119 people have died in its 25 provinces outside Hubei - many of them the size of European countries - while simultaneously killing more than 102,000 people outside China.

Is China covering up a death toll of tens of thousands? Video shows police beating fleeing residents | Daily Mail Online

Things were handled very differently in China. Cities were locked down fast, roads were piled with dirt to prevent people from leaving or entering, people were locked in their homes, people who tested positive were rounded up and put in facilities for infected people. Did that make a difference in reducing the spread?

Edit - just listening to the news, hearing that the US is speculating that since they knew something was happening in China in November, the numbers we received starting in Jan/Feb may be only a fraction of the true number of cases and deaths in China.

Last edited:
Nearly 40% of coronavirus deaths in Colorado linked to nursing homes, long-term care facilities

“Staff who aren’t showing symptoms are probably a “major source” of infection in facilities, said Dr. Joseph Ouslander, a geriatrician and professor at Florida Atlantic University. Most facilities are checking all staff for fevers and asking about symptoms, but it’s not possible to know who might be able to transmit the virus without showing symptoms if there’s not widespread testing, he said.

“The best protection is extensive infection control procedures,” Ouslander said.”

[...]

“The uncertainty is weighing on some people who work with patients. A phlebotomist who goes from facility to facility in Colorado taking blood samples told The Post she fears she could have infected patients after she was told to work while running a fever earlier this year. At the time, only people who had traveled to China were considered at risk for COVID-19, and she never found out what type of infection she said.

The phlebotomist, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of retribution, said she hasn’t been able to get tested, even though she’s visited nursing facilities with outbreaks. She’s worried about carrying the virus to her family, or to patients in other facilities.

“I’m scared to go to work right now,” she said.”

[...]

““A high mortality rate”
Facilities need to do anything they can to limit contact between residents, staff and anyone else who may be in the building, such as using telemedicine instead of bringing in a doctor, or assessing whether patients would be better off with fewer medications — and therefore fewer visits from whoever hands them out, Ouslander said.”

[...]

“ Ouslander said isolation isn’t good for older people, particularly those with cognitive impairment, but it’s a “necessary evil” while the virus rages.

“I think the short- and long-term effects of isolation are pale compared to a swift and unnecessary death,” he said.”

[...]

“In one case at his facility, a new resident was ordered to stay in quarantine for 10 days to ensure she wasn’t carrying the virus, but there was nothing staff could do when she refused, he said.

“She was rolling around in her motorized wheelchair, telling staff and residents she hopes she gets them sick,” he said. “I’m responsible for the result, but my hands are tied.””

[...]

“The administrator said he’s frustrated with a lack of help and resources like protective equipment from the state. Most staff are still coming to work and doing their best, even though they don’t have N95 masks to protect them while treating residents who could be sick, he said.“

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop