Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #47

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ETA: The difficulty perhaps is that MSM still says asymptomatic, whereby scientists are NOW just beginning to state their retrospectives as asymptomatic vs. PREsymptomatic... IYKWIM
RSBM

I'm very interested to know more about this. Weeks ago there was a lot of press regarding people who get the virus but are asymptomatic, implying a lot of people could get the virus but not show any symptoms. Early studies also showed symptom onset could be up to 2 weeks after contact with the virus so I am cautious (distrustful?) that the large number of reported asymptomatic people were in fact pre-symptomatic. Tested for the virus but feel fine. Get a follow up call in 2 or 3 days, still fine, get put in the asymptomatic statistic even if they get sick later.

I will read your linked article, thank you.

So today's attempt at the IRS payment status portal returned this (after just one try):

Please Try Again Later
We are unable to provide you with the status of your payment or perform the action requested because:

• The tax return information you entered does not match our records; or
  • You have already accessed the system the maximum number of times today.
Please come back after 24 hours and try again.

Same except nothing about not matching their system or exceeding the number of try’s. Ugh...

Morning musing. We need to figure out how to keep people off ventilators. You know, I understand we're in uncharted waters but we need to start testing ways to put a halt to this hypoxia sooner. Compassionate trials are fine and dandy but basically people are nearly past the point of no return when they get experimental meds, damage to other internal organs has already started. Jmo

I don't have a link for this yet, but I just went to pick up my grocery order, and I heard on the radio that the FDA has approved the use of some kind of medical equipment that they use during heart surgery, I didn't hear the entire interview, but it had something to do with equipment that makes the diaphragm function during heart surgery - and that the FDA has approved its use as an alternative to use of a ventilator. I will do some research on this, just got home and still decontaminating things. Taking a break first.

EBM - spelling

Last edited:
The number of patients in ventilators at Karolinska hospital in Stockholm that have been extubated, or died, is still low, but they seem to have better results, of 62 patients 48 survived while 14 died, which made a survival rate of 80 percent. I don't know if they are doing something different from other countries. 80 procent överlever intensivvården på Karolinska: ”Hoppfullt”
That is good news for Sweden.

The data set I saw in the media showed one study in the UK with only 33 of 98 patients on ventilators survived. There were smaller "studies", the numbers are too small to call them statistically relevant, that showed about 85% mortality rate for ventilated patients in Wuhan and 50% in Washington State in the US.

Ventilators Are No Panacea For Critically Ill COVID-19 Patients

I don't have a link for this yet, but I just went to pick up my grocery order, and I heard on the radio that the FDA has approved the use of some kind of medical equipment that they use during heart surgery, I didn't hear the entire interview, but it had something to do with equipment that makes the diaphragm function during heart surgery - and that the FDA has approved its use as an alternative to use of a ventilator. I will do some research on this, just got home and still decontaminated things. Taking a break first.
Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for Coronavirus Disease 2019 in Shanghai, China. - PubMed - NCBI
"ECMO support might be an integral part of the critical care provided for COVID-19 patients in centers with advanced ECMO expertise."
In this study, patients were on it 18-47 days!

Cardiac Surgery - Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO)

"ECMO stands for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. The ECMO machine is similar to the heart-lung by-pass machine used in open-heart surgery. It pumps and oxygenates a patient's blood outside the body, allowing the heart and lungs to rest. When you are connected to an ECMO, blood flows through tubing to an artificial lung in the machine that adds oxygen and takes out carbon dioxide; then the blood is warmed to body temperature and pumped back into your body."

Assuming it's something like this?
Arizona patient survives coronavirus with rare blood treatment ECMO

I don't have a link for this yet, but I just went to pick up my grocery order, and I heard on the radio that the FDA has approved the use of some kind of medical equipment that they use during heart surgery, I didn't hear the entire interview, but it had something to do with equipment that makes the diaphragm function during heart surgery - and that the FDA has approved its use as an alternative to use of a ventilator. I will do some research on this, just got home and still decontaminated things. Taking a break first.

This?

In general, the TransAeris Diaphragmatic Pacing (DP) functions with temporary small electrodes implanted by minimally invasive surgery to stimulate the diaphragm (the breathing muscle). The late actor Christopher Reeve of Superman fame was one of the first patients to have had one of the earliest versions of DP.

FDA approves diaphragm pacing technology tested at University Hospitals to help patients come off ventilators

DeWine (Ohio) live presser 2PM EST
Ohio COVID-19
Confirmed Cases
CDC Expanded Case Definition (Probable)
Total Cases
Number of Hospitalizations in Ohio
Confirmed Deaths
CDC Expanded Death Definition (Probable)
Total Deaths
Number of ICU Admissions
<1-104
Age Range
Median Age
49%*
Sex - Males
51%*
Sex - Females

I would assume, as with most legal contracts, that there is an "act of god" exclusion or such that the pandemic would be excluded for the players contracts? Wondering minds want to know.

Because it is NCAA and college level sports, the student-athletes don't have contracts, but the NCAA does need to look at their rules and student-athletes' scholarships, etc. and also recruiting regulations. ESPN will undoubtedly work with colleges and universities on safety issues. I saw a reference in the news that Tony Fauci said that this fall there may be athletic contests played out without fans in the audience.

Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for Coronavirus Disease 2019 in Shanghai, China. - PubMed - NCBI
"ECMO support might be an integral part of the critical care provided for COVID-19 patients in centers with advanced ECMO expertise."
In this study, patients were on it 18-47 days!

Cardiac Surgery - Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO)

"ECMO stands for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. The ECMO machine is similar to the heart-lung by-pass machine used in open-heart surgery. It pumps and oxygenates a patient's blood outside the body, allowing the heart and lungs to rest. When you are connected to an ECMO, blood flows through tubing to an artificial lung in the machine that adds oxygen and takes out carbon dioxide; then the blood is warmed to body temperature and pumped back into your body."

Assuming it's something like this?
Arizona patient survives coronavirus with rare blood treatment ECMO
I saw an interview with Dr. Sanjay Gupta recently who was discussing ECMO. It sounded somewhat promising to me, but more testing needed to be done with this.

Probably doesn't apply to just Atlanta.
Prepare for home school this fall?
Teacher: No guarantee schools can reopen. Start planning accordingly.

Hi Gngr !

I'm almost certain in the southwest Georgia area where the hotspot is down here they will not start. Many I know with children are already trying to address that possibilty. Many are within our family since we have several grandchildren, and great grandchildren who attends school here.

Between Lee, and Dougherty counties there have been over a 100 deaths thus far even though the population is a much smaller number than the much more heavily populated counties in the Atlanta area, and elsewhere.

Our youngest daughter, husband, and 2 sons live in Paulding county close to Atlanta (west of Atlanta), and they have very few cases. It's a spread out more rural county with the county seat of Dallas being a small city within the county.

LEE county where we live is one of the largest counties as far as acreage, but it still has a lot of wide open beautiful rural areas. Imo, it's why its one of the most sought after counties for businesses..large and small as well as people who want to live, and build homes in our area. Having one of the top five school systems is also appealing.

But I think those who have the virus in our county may have contracted from either working in Dougherty county or visited someone who may have had it since our county butts up with this hotspot county.

Like I mentioned previously the first known virus case was when someone from Atlanta came to Albany to attend a funeral. Several at the same funeral also contracted the virus. Then shortly after another funeral was held at a different funeral, and more fell ill with the virus with some dying. The first 2 known victims also passed away from it.

So its hit our area very hard, and continues. I don't even think its hit it's peak either. :(

It does show how even going to city to city even within a citizen's own state can spread the virus far, and wide.

Jmho

This?

In general, the TransAeris Diaphragmatic Pacing (DP) functions with temporary small electrodes implanted by minimally invasive surgery to stimulate the diaphragm (the breathing muscle). The late actor Christopher Reeve of Superman fame was one of the first patients to have had one of the earliest versions of DP.

FDA approves diaphragm pacing technology tested at University Hospitals to help patients come off ventilators

Thanks! Yes, this is what they were talking about on the radio.

Shopping observation - My sister picked up a few things for me when she went out today. I asked her to observe both staff and customer adherence to social distancing and masks, gloves being used. She said about half of walmart staff were wearing masks, no gloves but plexiglass between customers and cashiers. About half of customers at Walmart were wearing masks and many were not staying 6 feet apart. At Aldi much better with both staff and customers. She couldn't wait to get out of Walmart but was relatively comfortable at Aldi for a short time of shopping.

Shopping observation - My sister picked up a few things for me when she went out today. I asked her to observe both staff and customer adherence to social distancing and masks, gloves being used. She said about half of walmart staff were wearing masks, no gloves but plexiglass between customers and cashiers. About half of customers at Walmart were wearing masks and many were not staying 6 feet apart. At Aldi much better with both staff and customers. She couldn't wait to get out of Walmart but was relatively comfortable at Aldi for a short time of shopping.

I don't think the Walmart I shop at is truly limiting customers. They duly sit at the doors and count customers but I've never seen anyone waiting to get in. Saturday was crowded in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biph