Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You cannot lock people and kids up forever. There is no vaccine or drugs for this and herd immunity will be the way forward.

This seems to be the way many states are going, including Ohio. It was disheartening to listen to Governor DeWine today talk about how we have to reopen the economy, and vulnerable people will have to figure out what kind of risks they are willing to take (my paraphrasing). So it sounds like largely it will be up to the individual who is at risk to determine his or her fate. The flattening the curve was to make sure that the healthcare system wasn't overwhelmed, and of course that saved lives. Also Dr. Acton, Ohio Dept of Health, mentioned the stage of herd immunity. This was also disheartening. Even though I knew this was coming.

Last edited:
It's funny...my siblings sometimes gripe when an adult kid is still living at home. But I myself live in a nearly 100% Hispanic neighborhood, and no one would think of griping that odds and ends of family members are in the house. It just wouldn't occur to anyone. A few more plates on the table and smiles all around. We can't accept a COVID solution that penalizes or sacrifices large extended families.
I think it’s beneficial for all in a multi generational household. The way it should be. Moooooooo.

I'm a cash person, but have switched to plastic for this virus. Some stores allow you to just stick your card in it is approved.

Many stores require you PUSH debit or credit, then pick up a common pen and sign, and then remove your card. Literally stupid, since everyone pays plastic and is swapping germs with their hands.

So out of touch with other restrictions.

We just wave our cards here in Australia. If it’s over $200 (usually $100, but increased due to COVID-19) then you need to enter a PIN number, but otherwise you don’t have to do anything else but wave it.

I mostly use Apple Pay from my phone and I don’t have to touch anything, no PIN is required due to the technology it uses.

Just wanna know how schools are going to resume. Not times. Classrooms with close proximity? Lunchrooms with close proximity? School buses? Locker rooms? Small offices (social workers, guidance counselors).

Will the teaching staff wear masks? Gloves?

What are the provisions if a student may have coronavirus, i.e. symptoms?

Also wanna know how parents are going to deal with staggered times. Who's going to be home with the little ones, or are they going to be home alone?

How will the staggared times deal with breakfast for a later group and deal with lunch for an earlier group? Hungry kids IMO.

Just a few things we need to know...

This seems to be the way many states are going, including Ohio. It was disheartening to listen to Governor DeWine today talk about how we have to reopen the economy, and vulnerable people will have to figure out what kind of risks they are willing to take (my paraphrasing). So it sounds like largely it will be up to the individual who is at risk to determine his or her fate. The flattening the curve was to make sure that the healthcare system wasn't overwhelmed, and of course that saved lives. Also Dr. Acton, Ohio Dept of Health, mentioned the stage of herd immunity. This was also disheartening. Even though I knew this was coming.
For herd immunity, large proportion of the population had to have been infected and recovered. I don't think that happened in OH.
As for vulnerable people having to figure out what kind of risk they are willing to take, who is going to pay these vulnerable people if their job place opens and they are not at work?
Is "sorry, I am vulnerable and thus not coming to work" going to get you a paycheck?
I am very curious about this because I am one of those vulnerable people.

AAapfVx.img

Ivanka Trump, Disregarding Federal Guidelines, Travels to N.J. for Passover

Annie Karni
6 hrs ago
Ms. Trump and her husband, Jared Kushner, who is also a senior White House adviser, traveled with their three children to the Trump National Golf Club Bedminster in New Jersey to celebrate the first night of Passover this month, according to two people with knowledge of their travel plans, even as seders across the country were canceled and families gathered remotely over apps like Zoom.

The study doesn't really tell us anything.

"In addition to the small size of this trial, the unspecified components of the hospital standard treatment and its variance between patients confounds assessment of the effect of hydroxychloroquine, particularly on whether it lessened severity given the small number of patients who experienced a worsening course. Also, excluding severe illness from study entry leaves the effect of hydroxychloroquine on severe symptoms an open question."​

Results from a Controlled Trial of Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19

I think it does though, depending on which section you look at.

"In comparison to the 31 patients on placebo, the 31 receiving the hydroxychloroquine adjunct to standard treatment were reported to have significantly shorter average time to recover normal body temperature (2.2 vs 3.2 days, P = .0008) and time to cessation of cough (2.0 vs 3.1 days, P = .0016). A larger proportion of patients on hydroxychloroquine than placebo also demonstrated an improved chest CT (80.6% vs 54.8%), with 61.3% of the treatment group having significant improvement. In addition, the 4 patients in the trial who deteriorated from mild to severe acuity were all in the placebo group."

Covid in student populations:

"Matt Greenshields certainly isn’t who you might picture when you think of COVID-19 — he’s a student at the Haskayne School of Business, an athlete and by all accounts, a healthy 19-year-old.

He lived on campus at the University of Calgary and hadn’t been travelling, so at the time wasn’t worried about contracting the novel coronavirus. Still, he self-isolated at his family home in Okotoks just to be safe.

Around March 20 he said he was feeling better and most of his symptoms had gone away, besides a cough. Then, 12 days after his first initial symptoms, Greenshields’ health took a serious dive.

“It’s like they all came back and just exploded. My tonsils were so big and I wasn’t able to talk properly or swallow,” he said. “Then I started to cough up quite a bit of blood and that was pretty concerning.”

Greenshields was admitted to hospital on March 25 and to his surprise, tested positive for COVID-19 and for Epstein-Barr virus, better known as mono.

“I had a really high fever, my oxygen was low, my heart rate was super high and overall I was not doing well," he said.

He was moved as a precaution to the ICU, where he was shocked to learn from doctors his condition was considered life-threatening and he may need a tracheotomy.

discharged on March 31 and given a three-month recovery period​

'Scariest experience of my life': Okotoks man becomes youngest ICU patient in Alberta from COVID-19

It is disheartening but I don't even want to be in lockdown another 3 weeks, let alone until 2021. To be told I can exercise but can't stop and sit on a park bench if I want to, while out on a walk ??? Come on now.

Look how Australia, Austria, south Korea and Norway brought their curves down. Good work.

Japan is a bit of a surprise.

I think Japan was late to take it seriously, they still reckoned they'd hold the Olympics long after the rest of the world said "nah". It is surprising though, you would think they'd have been super efficient and ahead of the game. Very densely populated, and as we've seen in cities around the world, the virus just loves tightly packed clusters of moving people.

It's like deciding to quit taking an antibiotic before the prescribed length of treatment. Your infection comes back so you go back on antibiotics again. You quit taking them before the required length of treatment because the infection appears to clear up and ....Voila! a few days later it comes back again, only this time you find you're antibiotic resistant and you're basically screwed.

That is a great analogy! Quitting too soon undermines all the work we've done so far isolating, testing, and trying to delay and clean up the uncontrolled spread.

Exactly this.
We're not waiting until the virus has gone, we're waiting until our health care systems can cope with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knoop