Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #49

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iowa news today: April 20: 257 new COVID-19 cases in Iowa, 4 additional deaths 257 new confirmed cases and 4 more passed. We now have 3, 159 confirmed cases and 79 passed. 1, 235 have recovered.
RAGBRAI 2020 canceled, postponed until 2021 due to COVID-19The major yearly bike ride is now postponed unitl July 2021. Will still be the same route and communities as planned.
New COVID-19 outbreak reported at another Iowa packing facility Yet another different meat facilty in a differenrt part of the state as the others.
Tama plant reopens after testing shows 177 workers infected This is the beef plant in Tama that is now open. Tyson in Perry is closing for 1 day (today) to clean accoring to this article. Not long enough IMO. Tyson in Waterloo has not closed for any period of time yet.
ETA-Gov. won't close Waterloo Tyson plant; Black Hawk County records 2nd death

Last edited:
The only silver lining here is that some local cafés are doing a great business. After waiting in a long 20+ cars line I got seafood dressing (rice, shrimp, crawfish) with fried fish, pea salad & corn. Wish they’d to Louisiana maque choux (corn & tomatoes) but people were ‘visiting’ shouting to each other doing social distancing in cars. The cashier had gloves & mask. Thank God.

I was also able to get hand sanitizer, gloves & TP from a local pharmacy. Masks locally made, so I ordered 2 LSU for son in VA. Short supply in Portsmouth for TP, masks & gloves.

Sorry for the rant/ who would have thought that getting simple supplies would make my day! I also found out that Lysol & Clorox are made in US so scarcity must be hoarding. I’m also worried, after listening to Cuomo, that some chemicals needed for testing come from China. They can hold us over a barrel with this. I wish we could ramp up & do war time home industries filling in for broken supply chain. Epistle done, thanks for your patience. Or roll & scroll the Luddite crone is taking too long!!! -:)

Branson offers Caribbean island to secure bailout

I'd be interested to know what posters think of this. I had read the other day that Sir Richard was asking the UK for a government bailout, a loan he calls it. It seems he is willing to put his Caribbean island up as collateral.

By Simon Read
Business reporter
  • 1 hour ago
Related Topics
_97752710_mediaitem97752709.jpg
Image copyrightVIRGIN
Image captionSir Richard moved to Necker Island 14 years ago
Sir Richard Branson has pledged his luxury island resort as collateral to help get a UK government bailout of his stricken airline Virgin Atlantic.

The billionaire Virgin Group boss said in an open letter to staff he was not asking for a handout, but a commercial loan, believed to be £500m.

The airline's survival was in doubt, and his Necker Island home in the Caribbean could be mortgaged, he said.

It comes as Virgin Group's airline in Australia faces administration.

Both airlines have been hit hard by the global coronavirus lockdown, and Sir Richard has appealed to governments in both countries for help.

However, has been criticised for appealing for taxpayer aid rather than drawing on his huge wealth. Sir Richard's fortune is thought to be well over £4bn. The large US airline Delta owns 49% of Virgin Atlantic.

Sir Richard said in his letter to staff: "Many airlines around the world need government support and many have already received it." The crisis facing airlines, and the staff they employ, was "unprecedented," he said.

Despite his wealth, this did not mean he had "cash in a bank account ready to withdraw". And he hit back at criticism that he was a tax exile who did not deserve help, saying he and his wife "did not leave Britain for tax reasons but for our love of the beautiful British Virgin Islands and in particular Necker Island".

He said Necker would be offered as security for any loans. "As with other Virgin assets, our team will raise as much money against the island as possible to save as many jobs as possible around the group," Sir Richard said.

Richard Branson

@richardbranson

An open letter to Virgin employees https://virg.in/q5N

https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1252160127945359367

10:00 AM - Apr 20, 2020

End of Twitter post by @richardbranson

Government support
In his letter to staff, Sir Richard said: "We will do everything we can to keep the airline [Virgin Atlantic] going - but we will need government support to achieve that in the face of the severe uncertainty surrounding travel today and not knowing how long the planes will be grounded for.

"This would be in the form of a commercial loan - it wouldn't be free money and the airline would pay it back (as EasyJet will do for the £600m loan the government recently gave them)."

He pointed out that Virgin Atlantic started with one plane 36 years ago, before adding: "Over those years it has created real competition for British Airways, which must remain fierce for the benefit of our wonderful customers and the public at large."

Sir Richard offered to inject £250m into the Virgin Group last month, with most of that going to the airline.

Earlier this month, Rolls-Royce, Airbus, Heathrow airport and Manchester Airports Group sent letters to the government highlighting the importance of Virgin Atlantic to the UK's manufacturing supply chain.

Australia struggles
Meanwhile, it has been reported that Virgin Australia - in which Sir Richard holds a stake of around 10% - is close to going into administration after being refused help by the Australian government.

The carrier has been forced to cancel nearly all of its flights during the coronavirus crisis and been unable to restructure its debts.

The Australian government refused a request from the company for a A$1.4bn (£720m) loan.

The airline - which employs about 16,000 - is part-owned by Sir Richard along with Etihad, Singapore Airlines and China's HNA.

"The brilliant Virgin Australia team is fighting to survive and need support to get through this catastrophic global crisis," Sir Richard said.

"We are hopeful that Virgin Australia can emerge stronger than ever, as a more sustainable, financially viable airline."

He warned: "If Virgin Australia disappears, Qantas would effectively have a monopoly of the Australian skies. We all know what that would lead to."

_105717017_gettyimages-1125159611-2.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Sir Richard also addressed the fierce criticism he has faced in recent weeks over his tax situation.

Critics have pointed out he has paid no UK income tax since moving to the tax-free British Virgin Islands 14 years ago.

Sir Richard is the 312th richest person in the world with an estimated $5.2bn fortune, according to the Bloomberg billionaires index.

"I've seen lots of comments about my net worth - but that is calculated on the value of Virgin businesses around the world before this crisis, not sitting as cash in a bank account ready to withdraw," he said.

"Over the years significant profits have never been taken out of the Virgin Group, instead they have been reinvested in building businesses that create value and opportunities."

Turning to the question of living abroad he said: "Joan and I did not leave Britain for tax reasons but for our love of the beautiful British Virgin Islands (BVI) and in particular Necker Island, which I bought when I was 29 years old, as an uninhabited island on the edges of the BVI.

"Over time, we built our family home here. The rest of the island is run as a business, which employs 175 people."

Last edited:
There is a good resource, a COMPLETE CARE FORM you can print out on the CDC's web page for yourself, family member, or other person in your care. You can list medical conditions, medications taken, healthcare provider, healthcare insuranc, preferred hospital, emergency contact, etc. You can fill it in online and then print it, or you can print it and then fill it in. Good to have on hand and to give to someone in case it is needed, so I printed a few copies.
https://www.cdc.gov/aging/caregiving/pdf/Complete-Care-Plan-Form-508.pdf

Good Morning!

The world's CoVid rates remain linear, but not exponential, which can be seen as good news.

Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) – Statistics and Research

Germany is starting a soft reopen (with a sustained R value of R 0.7-0.8)

Germany to Reopen Stores in First Step Toward Post-Virus Era

Germany is also outspending other nations in providing economic aid and stimulus

Germany is vastly outspending other countries with its coronavirus stimulus

The U.S. could do something similar to Germany if only we can get our testing rates up.

Why we need at least 500,000 tests per day to open the economy — and stay open – Pandemics Explained

A good article on why CoVid-19 is wreaking so much more havock than other recent viruses:

Why Did The World Shut Down For COVID-19 But Not Ebola, SARS Or Swine Flu?

The theory that CoVid-19 causes major vascular problems and may directly attack the blood vessel walls as its major cause of death continues to be tested and so far, remains a viable theory.

Finnish data continue to be valuable, as they have tested the whole country for the virus and have a large sample of antibody testing (they have not tested the entire nation for antibodies AFAIK) . At week 13 after their first case, less than 1% of the population had antibodies but at 15 weeks, it was 3%. Keep in mind that none of the Ab tests are 100% sensitive and no one knows the exact sensitivity, but it is thought that test used in Finland is 99% effective - so that it looks like the 3% is a great estimate. This has implications for overall pandemic management. Do the asymptomatic not develop antibodies? How long would it take to get to herd immunity in this case?

Number of people with coronavirus infections may be dozens of times higher than the number of confirmed cases - Press release - THL

On the treatment/vaccine front, scientists are finding CV19's strengths and weaknesses:

https://phys.org/news/2020-04-genetic-barcode-rapidly-revealing-covid-.html

and a really interesting article here:

Antibody Points to Possible Weak Spot on Novel Coronavirus

That last article has a great graphic and the upshot of it is that the novel CV is very similar to the older CV (for which many people have antibodies) and though the old antibodies do not perfectly attack the novel CV, there are only 4 amino acids that are different (amino acids are the building blocks of RNA and DNA - and CV is an RNA-based entity). It would be fascinating to learn if some of the asymptomatic or mild cases are in people who have antibodies to the previous CV virus. At any rate, it looks like "designer antibodies" could be built as part of a vaccine.

Hope you are all well. Today my thoughts are with all the young people who are antsy to get on with their lives. Growth of CV in the US is still linear, but in towns and counties where a flat line has been achieved, strictures are softening. A handful of beaches are open here in SoCal (not in Los Angeles County because there are too many people living right next to the beach), and so far, there has not been crazy abandonment of social distancing.

There was an article about Sweden a few threads back. Made me really want to keep up with Sweden over the long haul to see how their more open approach works.
One of the statistics in that article still has me curious, and am hoping someone can address. The statement said "over 40% of the population lives alone". I can see how this does, in fact, influence lower infection rates. But how does Swedish culture explain this. Minimal multi-generational families? Divorce? Low birth rates? Knowledge welcome.
The statement that 40% of the population in Sweden lives alone is not correct. According to a paper from Statistics Sweden, Statistics Sweden , done during 2015 -2017 and published in 2019, 22% of the Swedish population lived alone, and 59% with a partner. The 40% comes from the percentage of households with only one person, which is different from how many who lives alone. The name of the paper is Ensam, med partner eller kompisboende - SCB. (Alone, with partner or living with friends). There are statistical tables of the different household constructions in Sweden, and there is also a short summary in English in the end. The paper is 57 pages long, for those who are interested.

We usually make it without the cheese curds. That's how you get it at most restaurants. Would love to have it with a Harvey's burger right now ( a Canadian burger chain). We don't eat beef at our house, but we would eat a Harvey's burger with extra pickles.

they have vegi burgers!
and have for a long time before all the other chains started offering them

Ohio COVID-19
Confirmed Cases
CDC Expanded Case Definition (Probable)
Total Cases
Number of Hospitalizations in Ohio
Confirmed Deaths
CDC Expanded Death Definition (Probable)
Total Deaths
Number of ICU Admissions
<1-106
Age Range
Median Age
59%*
Sex - Males
40%*
Sex - Females

DeWine (Ohio) live presser 2 PM EST

Idle Musing - This Virus "stay at home most of the time" can grow a little boring..... My workshop, garage, and "man cave" are all arranged, cleaned, and spotless...... What to do ????...... I may just go cause an "International Incident". I think I will start an Internet Rumor that Canada has cornered the Market on Heirloom Toilet Paper Seeds and is not gonna share with anybody else....... That oughta make for some "fun posts" everywhere.....moo
Build something in that workshop! You can start with a couple of end-of-the-driveway planters for me!

Mr Pirate worked for the census last time. It was a pretty cool temp job. He had just retired and it kept him busy for a bit. I am sorry your mom's job is on hold.

Thank you. She is on Social Security, and recently lost her job, and is currently in the disaster known as "Unemployment Insurance" right now.

I am surprised that no one is doing an in depth special investigation on this issue. So many people are anxiously waiting for benefits, from a system that is developed more for employers, rather than actually helping the unemployed.

Yes, the system was overwhelmed four weeks ago. But, at this point in time, if people are not getting paid, there are issues with management and there needs to be a critical look at states where UI is working, after a few hiccups, and which states are complete disasters. Nevada and Florida are two which are not helping so many people who are eligible and not getting paid.

If outgoing air goes directly outside, and incoming air comes directly from outside and those vents are not near one another, how does air get from one room to another through the ventilation system? I can understand that viruses can be found in the outgoing ventilation system, but shouldn't there be constant movement toward the outside?
Ok... admitting that some of this information is still going in and out with not enough retention...however, I feel this information is going to have to become strong learnings in these new days. Those of us who worked in big corporate buildings for our careers, always felt that there were "sick buildings" out there....
We grew up using peppers in our cooking. For us, Tabasco peppers are hot yet flavorful. It’s not the type of pepper that you’d necessarily slice and eat although I know quite a few people who do. A couple of plants will yield enough to make a year or two supply of chow chow. We keep a few jars and give a few. My husband washes the peppers and chops a couple of onions. The onions and peppers go into a food processor. He then cooks the onions and peppers with vinegar. He cooks the mixture in an old pot outside. The flumes will knock you out. The chow chow Can be added to your serving of gumbo, beans, rice and gravy, etc.

Wow... as i say every day these days.. I learned something. I had to look up what "chow chow" is! Such fun youtubes!!! There are such differences...but I am going to keep this tabasco pepper in mind. IS it the peppers that are the only heat?? I don't think i am going to wait for my plants though...i want to try to make it now.. and I know my farm stand does have different kinds of peppers for sale. And I have a fire pit just built out of concrete block and stones... I definitely want to make it outside! Thanks for sharing some yum !

Almost 2,000 coronavirus cases reported at Ohio prison

Nearly 2,000 confirmed coronavirus cases have been reported at an Ohio prison, according to state officials.

The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction reported 1,828 inmates tested positive for COVID-19 at the Marion Correctional Institution. That represents 73 percent of the total number of inmates at the prison, The Columbus Dispatch reported.

An additional 109 staff members at the prison have reported positive COVID-19 tests, the department reported.

Across all Ohio prisons, there are 2,400 confirmed positive COVD-19 cases among inmates, based on department data. The department reported six probable COVID-19-related inmate deaths and one staff death.

This happened to a dear friend of mine who was playing in an orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall or some such posh place. He got his girlfriend to trim his (jet black) hair the night before the event and of course she did exactly what you said and accidentally put a big bald stripe up the back of his head!

LOL glad I'm not the only one

My kids ggm has it at a facility in Atlanta. She is in her mid-90’s and seems to be out of the woods. The hardest part for her and her husband - who is also mid 90’s and in the same facility - is the isolation. Their daughter got them an iPad, but it’s not the same. How awful to live your whole long life and at the end be isolated from everyone and everything you love. That alone will probably be the death of a lot of the nursing
I have to give Rachel Maddow some of the credit for the sudden transparency about nursing homes. She’s been beating that drum on her MSNBC show for over a week. It seems to be paying off...or else it’s a very strange coincidence. :)
home residents imo. They will lose their will to live. Jmo
I have always had a special place in my heart for the elderly. I am helping many of my neighbors and church members that are in this population. I used to visit the nursing home every weekend, and now I can't. So my heart is breaking for their social-emotional well-being right now. I pray for them often, and still visit, care for, and get supplies for those that need them.I don't want them to lose their will to live :(

P.S. Two of my neighbors, a married couple, 85 and almost 91, told me some days they just want to take a handful of pills together and cover up in bed and just die. That is heart-breaking to hear!

The only silver lining here is that some local cafés are doing a great business. After waiting in a long 20+ cars line I got seafood dressing (rice, shrimp, crawfish) with fried fish, pea salad & corn. Wish they’d to Louisiana maque choux (corn & tomatoes) but people were ‘visiting’ shouting to each other doing social distancing in cars. The cashier had gloves & mask. Thank God.

I was also able to get hand sanitizer, gloves & TP from a local pharmacy. Masks locally made, so I ordered 2 LSU for son in VA. Short supply in Portsmouth for TP, masks & gloves.

Sorry for the rant/ who would have thought that getting simple supplies would make my day! I also found out that Lysol & Clorox are made in US so scarcity must be hoarding. I’m also worried, after listening to Cuomo, that some chemicals needed for testing come from China. They can hold us over a barrel with this. I wish we could ramp up & do war time home industries filling in for broken supply chain. Epistle done, thanks for your patience. Or roll & scroll the Luddite crone is taking too long!!! -:)

I'm reading that some of the shortages are caused by WalMart and other Big Buyers snapping up all available supply and warehousing it (so they can continue to sell it regularly for months to come - stay tuned to see if prices stay the same).

We have huge warehouses just off I-5 in California (in and around Bakersfield). They are almost all WalMart, but some other stores too. Stuff comes in from all over. Yet, so far, very little symptomatic CoVid in Bakersfield. Probably a good idea that they built 10 miles out of town. I should also mention that it gets really hot there, and the stuff in the warehouses are non-perishables, obviously - and surely they must be virus-free when they are loaded onto trucks. I've been told there are many such centers all around the nation.

People keep arriving WalMart early morning and buying all the Lysol here where I live - I can't find the spray type nor the type I really want (old school liquid Lysol, which my grandma - born 1889 - swore by).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo