Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #49

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NY issues do-not-resuscitate guideline for cardiac patients amid coronavirus

<snip>

New York state just issued a drastic new guideline urging emergency-services workers not to bother trying to revive anyone without a pulse when they get to a scene, amid an overload of coronavirus patients.

While paramedics were previously told to spend up to 20 minutes trying to revive people found in cardiac arrest, the change is “necessary during the COVID-19 response to protect the health and safety of EMS providers by limiting their exposure, conserve resources, and ensure optimal use of equipment to save the greatest number of lives,’’ according to a state Health Department memo issued last week.

First-responders were outraged over the move.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/21/ny-issues-do-not-resuscitate-guideline-for-cardiac-patients/

The New York State Nurses Association (NYSNA) filed three lawsuits Monday challenging the "failures" of the New York State Department of Health (DOH) and two New York hospitals, Montefiore Medical Center and Westchester Medical Center, alleging the entities aren't doing enough to protect nurses treating Covid-19 patients.

All three suits allege shortcomings such as inadequate personal protective equipment, a lack of training for registered nurses redeployed from hospital units to meet the staffing needed to treat the high number of Covid-19 patients and unsafe working conditions for high-risk employees.

"More than seven in ten of our nurses are reporting exposure to Covid-19 and most are still untested. These lawsuits were filed to protect our nurses, our patients and our communities from grossly inadequate and negligent protections," NYSNA Executive Director Pat Kane said in a news release. "We cannot allow these dangerous practices to continue."

The New York State Nurses Association has 42,000 members, according to the court documents. So far nearly 1,000 union members have tested positive, including at least 150 at Montefiore, according to the filing.

At least 84 nurses in the union have been hospitalized with the virus, and at least six nurses are known to have died from the virus after contracting Covid-19 while working, court documents say.
New York state nurses union files three lawsuits alleging poor Covid-19 working conditions

@imstilla.grandma Finally, I am noticing a post from you. I wanted to reply to you many threads ago and I did not have the opportunity.

I just wanted to tell you how impressive it was that you worked on the State Guidelines and posting that information. I have felt badly for not acknowledging this and I wanted to say thank you Cassidy

What part of the website allows one to enter the bank info.
Attempted it on the non-filers blue box but could have been a mistake to do so but was the only part I saw where updating information allowed. Have moved since last file so was concerned old address would receive paper check, new bank as well so not high hopes

Georgia Tech expert: Kemp ought to weigh science before opening state

“In this piece, he voices concerns that the science of COVID-19 does not support Gov. Brian Kemp’s decision to allow some businesses to reopen starting Friday.”

[...]

“As a result, Georgia may face a second wave of cases or else enter a long plateau phase, where new cases are sustained at high levels for weeks or months because we did not put in the safeguards now or act sooner to drive the caseload to levels that can be managed with scaled-up public health interventions. Indeed, instead of trending downwards, COVID-19 associated fatalities have held steady for multiple weeks, typically with 30 or more fatalities per day.””

I’m feeling rather “unstimulated”...I haven’t received my “stimulus” check yet, am I the only one? I need to go to the CARES thread and catch up/investigate. I did file for 2018 and mailed in payment (not direct deposit) but not 2019 yet. Does anyone know if they’ve physically mailed out any checks yet or what the deal is, tia.
Just a little "samplin" from a Facebook friend who asked on FB today.... 3 said yes, and 8 said no (so far anyway). Don't take my research to the bank, tho.

Finally found an article that explains this well in an April 9, 2020 publication in the Journal of the American Heart Association (JAHA).
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.120.016509

Seems that taking ACE Inhibitors and angiotension blockers (ARBs) could be a "double-edged sword" as the scientists write. On the one hand, they cannot rule out that these medications may help to facilitate entry of the virus and virus replication - but on the other hand, once infected, they may be beneficial with regard to pulmonary outcome. So they could potentially (more studies needed) increase infectivity and put a person at a higher risk for infectivity, but once infected the medications could potentially be beneficial.

If the latter is the case, they may be considered (after more studies) as therapeutics for treatment of patients at the stage of pulmonary infection.

Best article I have seen yet in relation to explaining why ACE Inhibitors (such as Lisinopril) and ARBs (such as Losartan) are being looked at as potentially contributing to infection risk, and now as potentially helpful once infected if the infection progresses to the lungs.

Thanks for finding that. Goes to what Drs here with videos as Dr's C, Dr H, and Dr. S have been saying.

So let me get this straight. A newly created and untested vaccine will debut with human subjects this Thursday.

I suspect this will be a tiny group of lab workers, whose occupational hazard is already high. But then it needs to be tested on older people, obviously. Then we need to wait and see if the vaccine confers longer term immunity (by allowing those old people to be exposed to CoVid-19 through community spread, if they are quarantined, the vaccine doesn't get tested).

Typically, this would take at least a couple of years. I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting to see how this rolls out and how much transparency UK allows for this process.

I am waiting on the edge of my seat for antibodies! So many people I know think they had a mild case...it would be so good to be able to know. AND, a stupid question here... if one has antibodies, that means they probably won't get it again, but ...for....how...long. And if one has antibodies, does that mean they cannot pass it on to others, like asymptomatic people can.

Media coverage of Georgia reopening ignores similar Colorado measures, critic says

“Republican Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp announced Monday that certain businesses, including gyms and hair salons, could reopen in his state beginning this Friday. The news sparked social media outrage and was widely criticized as premature and irresponsible.

Vanity Fair wrote, “Front-Runner for Country’s Dumbest Governor to Reopen Essential Bowling Alleys, Nail Salons Friday,” while CNN’s Don Lemon said Kemp was taking a “big gamble” with public health.”

[...]

“Health officials have warned that allowing businesses to reopen too quickly could result in a spike in COVID-19 cases, but Monday's announcements came as states were feeling the pressure to roll back social distancing measures and reopen an economy decimated by forced business closures and layoffs.”

We have to find another answer.

We have to make those tax dollars work harder for us. Other nations have built a safety net to the extent that they aren't at each other's throats right now, and we are just as good as them. IMO. There are ways to move forward while protecting each other. We just have to make that one of our values.

Highly recommended watching for those that want to understand physiology of disease as I came across this EXCELLENT video by Dr. Mike Hansen (MD of Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine) that builds on what Dr. Seheult has been speaking to in his MedCram videos we share here.

Throughout, and towards the end he covers a lot about how ACE2 sites are affected (and normal cascades are affected) and speaks to Ace Inhibitors (Lisonopril), Angiotensin Receptor Blockers (Losartan, Telmisartan) and IL-6 receptor inhibitors (Tocilizumab) @gitana1 . I've watched this twice as it gave me some "aha" moments to now more clearly understand what Dr. Seheult has discussed for some time as he presents differently. This video has had 766k views, and I'll peek at his others that may have more information to share.(at 20:40 He also speaks to the internet false info of the virus affecting heme)

How Coronavirus (COVID19) Kills Some People (But Not Others)

ETA: He has MANY videos on the virus for more than 2 months. I have definitely subscribed to this guy!

Thank you, this is the best explanation so far. He makes the process much easier to understand

We have to make those tax dollars work harder for us. Other nations have built a safety net to the extent that they aren't at each other's throats right now, and we are just as good as them. IMO. There are ways to move forward while protecting each other. We just have to make that one of our values.
Help for people, not oil companies.
Priorities. People are telling us where theirs are and it's not protecting the vulnerable.

Years ago when I was at university there was a medical testing unit on site, which would pay students quite a lot of money to be experimented on. There were loads on offer, I did a handful of basic non-invasive ones like topical medicines and deodorant testing (got paid over a month's rent for that one) and I knew other students who had vaccines or did pill trials, half of which were placebos.

I drew the line at £10,000 for having a big toe cut off and re-attached though! I don't know how many took that up but one of the disclaimers was that you might never walk properly again :eek:
That's amazing. I guess there will be plenty of students they can call on in Oxford and London. Did you know anyone who trialled any vaccines?

Attempted it on the non-filers blue box but could have been a mistake to do so but was the only part I saw where updating information allowed. Have moved since last file so was concerned old address would receive paper check, new bank as well so not high hopes
Replying to self...
Checked again, still receiving
‘Payment status not available’
Ugh!!

For those of you science intellectuals here is a good science detailed article about the Covid-type viruses.

Science
Peer-Reviewed Academic Journal

Projecting the transmission dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 through the postpandemic period

Transmission dynamics of HCoV-OC43 and HCoV-HKU1

"...After the initial pandemic wave, SARS-CoV-2 might follow its closest genetic relative, SARS-CoV-1, and be eradicated by intensive public health measures after causing a brief but intense epidemic (5). Increasingly, public health authorities consider this scenario unlikely (6). Alternatively, the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 could resemble that of pandemic influenza by circulating seasonally after causing an initial global wave of infection..."

Last edited:
We have no choice. We cannot have 100% of the population stay away from this. Essential people are dying already and now our economy is crumbling and people are not going to be able to survive. Unemployment and homelessness? That will spread this disease rapidly.

How does a homeless person stay home? And how do we protect all the workers who have to go into those populations to provide services?

This is not a question where the answer is anything other than "people are going to get CV-19 in future." We do not have herd immunity. If there's never a vaccine...or one isn't invented within 18-24 months, we're going to see deaths continue to go along at the rates they're nearing right now.

What is your answer? To keep everything shut down for 2 years? It won't work. People aren't obeying it right now, there's not enough law enforcement in the US to keep everyone locked up at home for 2 years.

Or even 6 months. People are creeping back out as I type.

You can personally quarantine for as long as you like. But with death rates of virtually ZERO in the under-20 population, do they really have to give up their education? I can tell you this: without nurses and doctors in the pipeline, and with people continuing to get CV19 because there will still be nursing homes and hospitals, we are screwed.

Death rates for other causes are going to rise if doctors can't do surgeries or see patients for ongoing care for other issues or provide preventive care. We must reopen some hospitals for non-CV19 patients.

But the death rate is not going to go to zero. We just need to figure out how to keep it low. For as long as it is low, vulnerable people need to self-isolate. A vaccination will be the only hope for those of us taking that option.

This is not a question where your opinion or my opinion has any bearing. It is an empirical question of what is going to happen. As essential workers die and/or are disabled and/or quit, are we saying that ALL of us would just stay home? What then? Where would we get our food?

We are throwing away tons of food right now. Which is fine, for a short term. But if we have no fresh fruit and vegetables by next year, that increases the vaso-risk for vulnerable people. We need healthy food and lifestyles (this is not an opinion, it's a fact).

Nice post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member