Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #49

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The study is being coordinated by Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS), the university’s academic health center.

Initial results suggest a gender disparity in risk: women have been infected at a rate of 13 times their male counterparts. Some of this may be attributed to the existing disparity in the nursing workforce, which currently includes more women than men.

“Health care workers throughout the world are on the front lines of battling COVID-19,” said RBHS Chancellor Brian Strom. “Our hope is that this study and other scientific developments can give state, national, and global leaders the evidence-based tools to ultimately end this pandemic.”
Rutgers Launches Nation’s Largest Study of Health Care Workers Exposed to COVID-19

No stimulus check here, either and no response on the website. I did file electronically for the past couple of years, although I didn't use their widget. I used TurboTax, who filed it electronically for me.

I'll be very excited if we ever get it, we have some out of work family members who sure could use help.

I'm 10 years younger than you. So officially in the same risk pool, and I have a couple of underlying conditions. I am truly happy spending most of my time at home, but I do love traveling and was finally at a point in my career where I was starting to make progress in understanding a particular culture, that I love to visit.

I don't see any way that I can go again. So I'm sad. It's also weird to think I may never been in a regular classroom again (I'm not retired).

But yeah, if you or I get this, we're very likely to be very sick and even if we don't die, we are going to regret getting it. I'll stay home for the rest of the year and I sure do hope there's a working vaccine within the next 18 months.
Amen to that. I'm prepared to stay home until 2021. After that, I will get cranky.

Charlotte’s Web donates $1 million worth of product in honor of Charlotte Figi

charlotte.jpg

Charlotte’s Web said they will donate $1 million worth of product in her honor. The donations will go to “those who rely on Charlotte’s Web products and may be struggling financially during this very trying time.””

—-

My post for reference from April 8:

Oh noooo: :(

Coronavirus: Charlotte Figi, Colorado girl who inspired medical marijuana reform, dies at 13

S7OLISX4HBC43ACDDU7NLMWLTY.jpg

In a 2014 photo, Charlotte Figi, walks around inside a greenhouse for a special strain of medical marijuana known as Charlotte's Web, which helped stop her seizures. Figi died Tuesday. She was 13. (Brennan Linsley/Associated Press)

—-

“The CBD strain of cannabis that helped Charlotte Figi was named Charlotte’s Web in her honor, according to the Sun.

Paige Figi and the founders of the Charlotte’s Web product became advocates for legalizing CBD, the newspaper reported. The Charlotte’s Web Medical Hemp Act was passed by Congress in 2014.

“Your work is done Charlotte, the world is changed, and you can now rest knowing that you leave the world a better place,” the Realm of Caring Foundationwrote on Instagram.

In a Facebook post, the Charlotte’s Web team eulogized Charlotte.

“What began as her story, became the shared story of hundreds of thousands, and the inspiration of many millions more in the journey of their betterment,” the team wrote. “Charlotte was and will be, the heartbeat of our passion, and the conviction that the dignity and health of a human being is their right.””
Great news!! Is it still the Stanley Brothers do you know?

Well...unless we are willing to shut down for the next 20-30 years, we have no choice but to venture back out into public. The vast majority of people under age 50 will not die. Only 1% of people aged 50-65 will die. "Only." I mean, if someone tells me I have a 1% chance of getting hit by a speeding car if I step outside, I will nope right out of that one.

So, I spent my day yesterday making arrangements with my workplace for next year. I guess I will be pretty much quarantined until December. Thing is, the sooner I get this, the more likely I am to survive. I guess I can try and lose more weight (have lost 10 pounds in quarantine).

I am feeling rather depressed today at the prospect of never going anywhere again. Theoretically, a place could eliminate the virus from their immediate area (like South Korea) and just take the hit in tourism and other travel related commerce. But I live in California and we have like 40 million visitors from out of state...each year. So there will constantly be the chance of catching it until we reach herd immunity.

To do that, we need to expose 28 million Californians (or more) to CV19, with a predicted number of deaths at around 800,000. How fast do we want to do that? We obviously cannot have 28 million people sick all at once (hospitalizations would be around 1.6 million).

So we wait. More isolated counties (like Kern County) with lower rates are sort of open already and will probably slide into "regular behavior" this week. But the overall population of that area is fairly small and while they will surely see a big increase in cases/deaths, it is about 900,000 total population, so they should be able to put together resources for their new "wave." Still, we could expect a mortality rate of as many as 4500 people.

My own estimate is that the overall morality rate is closer to 0.04-0.07.

I think I'll be willing to risk going camping in the mountains, we know some obscure places we love.
Camping sounds absolutely lovely at the moment. Enjoy!

I’m feeling rather “unstimulated”...I haven’t received my “stimulus” check yet, am I the only one? I need to go to the CARES thread and catch up/investigate. I did file for 2018 and mailed in payment (not direct deposit) but not 2019 yet. Does anyone know if they’ve physically mailed out any checks yet or what the deal is, tia.
Still waiting after updating banking information the day the site opened for this. Same for 2018 taxes

I
Well...unless we are willing to shut down for the next 20-30 years, we have no choice but to venture back out into public. The vast majority of people under age 50 will not die. Only 1% of people aged 50-65 will die. "Only." I mean, if someone tells me I have a 1% chance of getting hit by a speeding car if I step outside, I will nope right out of that one.

So, I spent my day yesterday making arrangements with my workplace for next year. I guess I will be pretty much quarantined until December. Thing is, the sooner I get this, the more likely I am to survive. I guess I can try and lose more weight (have lost 10 pounds in quarantine).

I am feeling rather depressed today at the prospect of never going anywhere again. Theoretically, a place could eliminate the virus from their immediate area (like South Korea) and just take the hit in tourism and other travel related commerce. But I live in California and we have like 40 million visitors from out of state...each year. So there will constantly be the chance of catching it until we reach herd immunity.

To do that, we need to expose 28 million Californians (or more) to CV19, with a predicted number of deaths at around 800,000. How fast do we want to do that? We obviously cannot have 28 million people sick all at once (hospitalizations would be around 1.6 million).

So we wait. More isolated counties (like Kern County) with lower rates are sort of open already and will probably slide into "regular behavior" this week. But the overall population of that area is fairly small and while they will surely see a big increase in cases/deaths, it is about 900,000 total population, so they should be able to put together resources for their new "wave." Still, we could expect a mortality rate of as many as 4500 people.

My own estimate is that the overall morality rate is closer to 0.04-0.07.

I think I'll be willing to risk going camping in the mountains, we know some obscure places we love.
I disagree.

just let people die is not an appropriate answer.

that’s just my opinion though, I’m not selfish enough to want that

New York Police Department data shows that reports of car thefts jumped 53% in the last 28 days -- from 303 over the same period in 2019 to 464 during the pandemic. Reports of other crimes, including rape and robbery, dropped during this time.

In Seattle, police said the department received 300 auto theft reports in the last month, a 24% spike from the same time last year.

CNN reached out to the NYPD and Seattle Police Department for comment on the disparity and is waiting to hear back.

And while overall crime in Los Angeles is down, car thefts are up: The Los Angeles Police Department received 1,390 reports of stolen cars from March 15 to April 11 -- an 11.3% jump from just one month earlier, when 1,249 cars were stolen.
Car thefts are rising sharply across the US during the pandemic, police say - CNN

Hydroxychloroquine as treatment for COVID-19 shows no benefit and more deaths in VA study
Hydroxychloroquine as treatment for COVID-19 shows no benefit and more deaths in VA study

This reminds me of the unfortunate results from the use of aspirin during the 1918 Pandemic.

"In 1918, the US Surgeon General, the US Navy, and the Journal of the American Medical Association recommended use of aspirin just before the October death spike. If these recommendations were followed, and if pulmonary edema occurred in 3% of persons, a significant proportion of the deaths may be attributable to aspirin."

Salicylates and Pandemic Influenza Mortality, 1918–1919 Pharmacology, Pathology, and Historic Evidence

View attachment 243879
National Geographic is celebrating the life and legacy of Doctor Jane Goodall in The Hope, a new 120-minute special, as part of the Earth Day celebrations.

The Hope is the story of a remarkable woman, picking up where the 2017 award-winning film Jane ended.

Doctor Jane Goodall on coronavirus, hope and life after lockdown

We have to learn how to deal with less,” said Goodall, who began her lauded career as a pioneering researcher of chimpanzees in Africa more than 50 years ago. She’s worked for decades on conservation, animal welfare and environmental issues.

Goodall has encouraged young people since 1991 to become stewards in their communities through her Roots & Shoots program, which operates in 60 countries. She normally travels 300 days per year to advocate her endeavors, but these days she’s been staying busy inside her family home in Bournemouth, England, to practice social distancing. She calls it more “exhausting than traveling.”

In a recent interview, the 86-year-old Goodall shared her thoughts on COVID-19, wild animal poaching and her new documentary “Jane Goodall: The Hope,” which premieres Wednesday on National Geographic and Nat Geo WILD, while streamed on Disney Plus and Hulu. The two-hour documentary focuses on her lauded career of transforming the scope of environmentalism.
Jane Goodall talks COVID-19 impact, Nat Geo documentary | Northwest Herald
thank you so much..didn't know about it.

Amen to that. I'm prepared to stay home until 2021. After that, I will get cranky.

Yeah, I think I will too. By one year from now, I am going to be stir crazy. We had a trip to Grand Canyon planned for April, a trip to Paris for next summer. Scrimped and saved. Have spent some of it paying for expensive groceries/delivery. And I don't know if I'll be fully employed next year or whether we'll be partly furloughed.

If it turns out I'll get more money if I retire, I'll retire, but that's a big life change for me.

We should give up shaking hands forever. Those of us who prefer more personal space around us, in conversation or in casual encounters, should lead the way to a new norm.

What I see, though, is that as they open up in the county where I was raised, is that a lot of people do think it's business as usual. They're pacing around, coming up near people standing in spaced lines or at drive-through testing sites. They get out of their cars and try to socialize with random other people, but many do not engage or want to talk through their car windows. Sometimes tempers flare.

I think we'll need our security guards to come back to grocery store lots and I think we'll have issues and some pandemonium when L.A. tries to open up. It can take 15 minutes of waiting just to get a parking spot at the store nearest my work, and that's at almost any time of day (up until about midnight or 1 am). People here work all kinds of shift work, shop at all hours, and stores were very crowded.

Now, if they limit the number of people in stores, as they must surely do, I think it's going to be a big shift, with just that one thing.

Meanwhile, grocery store workers, bus drivers, other transit workers have high rates of infection and are over-represented in the death numbers.

I live in such a socially active hugging village and community....... this is really going to be harder than it sounds. I sense a whole new world of hip bumping.

groannn
Exactly! He agrees that ACE inhibitors are not good. That is why it took me 2 times to understand, and now I am going through again to take notes to drill into my mind as It is EXTREMELY confusing. Once you asked me, I'm rewinding and rewinding to try to get out of my head to you as I'm not good at ALL in communicating.

Try this.

View this chart from the video at about 7:30 into explaining. The RIGHT side of the cascade is shut down due to the virus landing on and filling the normal cascade of the ACE2 enzyme..they can no longer help which is the normal path for balance with an option for pulmonary arteries to vasodialate and have anti-fibrotic tendencies. These ACE2 are only on the "type 2 aveolar cells". Ok.. with me so far?

View attachment 243880

OK... so EVERYTHING as an option shifts left as to the only option for vasodilation on the LEFT SIDE of his picture, as the top option for vasodilation on the right is gone due to the virus filling ACE2 receptors.

At 8:03 As this shows, if someone has Ace inhibitors, that SHUTS DOWN ON THE LEFT SIDE ALAO even that option to go further with the Angiotensin I to Angiotension II. STOP. No more option to go further to even get to the options in the next step with Angiotensin II to go in the alternate paths of vasoconstriction/inflammation/fibrosis vs. vasodilator/anti-inflammatory/antifibrosis. The normal cascade options are all fouled up with NO options with an ACE inhibitor.

Having more angiotension II in the lungs vs. angiotension 1-7 causes a crazy reaction in the lungs.

I would go on.... but perhaps review and get to that point, and repost if you want me to go on? I know few here are interested in such, and don't want to bore... but to me, this is fascinating.. and so VERY SAD as that I think this disease is moving so fast, so many folks know this but there is not time to address and share to help others.

Me, I'm STAYING AT HOME as I have a health care directive which states SPECIFICALLY I will not be put on a ventilator.

Lemme know if you want to banter, or if others want me to continue, like this post.

NOTE: I haven't ventured into the bottom left options yet, and how angiotension blockers are good as wanted to ensure on board with what I said here.

MOO MOO MOO @gitana1 who had questions on such earlier
grrooaaannn. I am going to have to go re-study again as well-- though I am not going to get to your level of understanding. However...a question. Do you remember which video of Dr. Sueart (misp) would be the best to start with? I will try to find myself...but if you know off the top of your head..slip in in a post, ok?

From the article:
"The nationwide study was not a rigorous experiment."

"The study was posted on an online site for researchers and has has not been reviewed by other scientists."
I'll trust the respected study before your implied opinion.
IMO.....of course

Last edited:
I live in such a socially active hugging village and community....... this is really going to be harder than it sounds. I sense a whole new world of hip bumping.
Our hips will be very well padded after all this couch time, though :)

Thought this was cool! The tests ... <modsnip: Edited it for you :)> Maryland Buys 500,000 Test Kits From South Korea

ETA - less contentious link here instead. What a terrific First Lady! Yumi Hogan: Maryland's first lady capitalizes on her South Korean heritage to secure test kits - CNNPolitics

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m feeling rather “unstimulated”...I haven’t received my “stimulus” check yet, am I the only one? I need to go to the CARES thread and catch up/investigate. I did file for 2018 and mailed in payment (not direct deposit) but not 2019 yet. Does anyone know if they’ve physically mailed out any checks yet or what the deal is, tia.

Welcome to Fillable Forms

The above website will allow you to add your checking account information and allows address correction. Since you paid tax, your Direct Deposit information is not on file. Otherwise, you will receive a check later in May. IRS is trying to reduce the number of mailed checks, due to risk.

I've heard thru the grapevine, it only takes a few days to receive payment.

Moo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members