Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Seattle1
Thanks so much for your comforting words. My Japanese knives are ordered from the Seattle knife shop on the dock whose name I cannot remember. I only think of DrTony saying ‘oh she’s in heaven.. just tell me how much do have to pay for her Spanish knife-mania?’ Well ya a lot. Loved NW coast. Son was stationed in Whidbey Island then. Penn Cove mussels Gods gift & many people don’t realize Dungeness crabs are from there.
i always say--- i learn something here every day! Never knew where those crabs came from. We have the Dungeness mansion off Cumberland Island in S Georgia... always thought those crabs were from East Coast!!!
I so agree that publishing the results of that VA trial should have been an embarrassment to those who called it a clinical trial that resulted in claiming hydroxychloroquine was the reason for those deaths.

I'm not in the medical field, but even I want better parameters for a research study or clinical trial. MOO, those people might have been so close to death from the virus, not the drug. They might have been at death's door when given a last ditch effort of the drug, and they died from the virus.

Do you think it might help stop "cytokine storm" the virus creates within the body? I have read and agree with your statement too-- "Hydroxychloroquine works according to medical theory best early on, it helps block the virus from multiplying."

Oh yes, I read the cost of some of the other alternative drugs and the money to be made.

Hydroxychloroquine would be very inexpensive compared to some of the other drugs that might be more profitable for them to push.

BTW, I take the drug for my RA and none of my doctors have ever worried or warned about irregular heartbeats. I took it in the 90's and again now, and no doctor said a thing about my heart. Eye sight is more of a concern over long term use. I've not experienced any bad side-effects. But this is just my own experience with the drug. MOO, a doctor should always consider each patient's record, history, and existing conditions before prescribing anything. MOO

ETA-- Adding the link about the trail we're discussing. It's the VA trial of the drug to treat Covid-19 that IMO and MOO was a poorly conducted drug trial.
More deaths, no benefit from malaria drug in VA virus study

Anyone can look at the Vet study and see how flawed it is as I pointed out. Lots of doctors are prescribing Hydroxychloroquine off-label as is normal and there have been many reports of positive results.

Veterans Affairs’ Robert Wilkie on yesterday’s hydroxychloroquine study: "That’s an observational study. It’s not a clinical study ... We know the drug has been working on middle-age and younger veterans. And the gov of NY was just in the Oval Office yesterday asking for more"

I just keep feeling the same thing... there are just so many possibilities and so many drug cocktails to test, and try. I wish we could quit obsessing on this hydroxychloroquine. It is there and is just one little needle in this haystack. I just don't want a skewing that steers away from understanding a lot more needles in said haystack. More needles.

I don't understand appointments like this, especially at this level of importance. We have a nation with experienced, top-notch people willing to serve the nation....and we get labradoodle guy.

jmo
websleuths seems a bit wonky this morning..I cannot reply directly to @JaneEyre but this is a very scary article. How could this guy even be considered for such important work.

Houston mayor says reopening too soon could "undo sacrifices" that people have made

[...]

Turner said he agrees that some hospitals can start performing elective surgeries, but reopening shouldn’t go further than that.

[...]

"It has no respect of persons or parties or social or economic status," he said, adding that 70% of the deaths in the city have been people of color. Turner also reiterated that his city needs more widespread testing in order to gauge the reopening of the economy, referring to the response when Hurricane Harvey hit the area in 2017.

[...]

NYC mayor announces new initiative to test and trace Covid-19 cases

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio unveiled details on a new initiative called "test and trace," the steps and measures he says would get the city to a low-level transmission phase.

[...]

The goal is to make testing available in every community, provide immediate assessment isolation and support, rapidly trace contacts and have more testing available in May.

People who test positive will be immediately assessed, isolated, monitored and supported at home or in a hotel or hospital, the mayor said.

[...]

White House supports Georgia's decision to reopen, despite concerns from public health experts

[...]

The governor, who made the announcement on reopening his state Monday, did not inform White House beforehand, according to a source familiar with the decision. The source added that Kemp made the decision at least a day before the announcement.

[...]

Georgia hit its projected peak for daily deaths on April 7, according to an influential model often cited by the White House.

But that same model, from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, says that Georgia shouldn't start relaxing social distancing until after June 15 -- when the state can begin considering other measures to contain the virus, such as contact tracing and isolation.

[...]

New York City plans on having July 4th fireworks, mayor says

[...]

“One way or another, the show will go on,” de Blasio said, adding that fireworks will be a part of the plan.

[...]

The mayor said there are a lot of questions that need to be answered between now and the celebration, but that the city will conduct the celebration “in a way that’s safe and smart.”

[...]

Nearly 100 coronavirus cases linked to another Tyson plant

A Tyson Fresh Meats plant in Washington state is now linked to 91 cases of Covid-19, a local health department reports.

The beef plant, located in Wallula, had their first case of the disease on April 1, Walla Walla County health officials said in a statement. Tyson began to put mitigation efforts in place 5 days later, on April 6, the statement added.

[...]

New York governor: "We are actually in a much better place"

[...]

Hospitalization and intubation rates are down. However, the number of new people going into the hospital each day is still "troublingly high," Cuomo said.

At least 474 died from coronavirus in New York on Tuesday

[...]

That is down from 481 deaths in the state on Monday.

[...]

... he said death rates are no longer increasing every day and the toll "seems to be on a gentle decline."

New York, New Jersey and Connecticut will launch a contact-tracing program, Gov. Cuomo says
[...]

"This is going to be a massive undertaking," he said.

Former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg will help develop the first-ever testing/tracing/isolation programs, Cuomo said.

John’s Hopkins University and Vital Strategies will help with the tracing operation, he added.

[...]

US coronavirus update: Latest on cases, deaths and reopening the country - CNN

I hope we get some volunteer programs going on contact tracing. I would sign up in a hearbeat.

In the UK the vaccine has already been tested on animals by Oxford University and they have recruited volunteers for the human tests and got all the volunteers they need already. UK govt has funded it with a £45million grant I posted the links yesterday, probably on the last thread now.
:eek::eek::eek:

In the US we have a Flu vaccine, and we still have the Flu. Why on earth does anyone think that when the vaccine comes out this virus will go away? o_O

Those poor animals have no choice. :(
I guess people will be more inclined to get the CV vaccine due to it being such a killer. Nearly 200k deaths is a pretty good incentive to get it IMO.

I have just been looking at Hong Kong and am amazed they have only had 4 deaths. This article explains why.

(Basically they never believe their government and 97% voluntarily wear masks.)

Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

"A major cultural factor behind this is Hong Kong’s experience of the 2003 severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) outbreak, in which 299 people died.

It meant members of the public and healthcare services remained on high alert for another infectious disease – and responded quickly when the COVID-19 outbreak began in China.

On the mainland, there have now been more than 82,000 confirmed cases and over 3,300 deaths.

Italy, meanwhile, has the highest death toll in the world, with more than 101,000 confirmed cases and over 11,000 deaths.

Despite this, the perception in Hong Kong is that its coronavirus figures are too high, with even more anger at a government already under fire amid last year’s protests about the region’s independence from China."

I'm still approx. 20 pages back for forgive me if this has been addressed, but the Flu kills 600 K + people per year.
Flu Kills 646,000 People Worldwide Each Year: Study

This is exactly why I don't understand the "hype" about a vaccine.

So once again - In the US we have a Flu vaccine, and we still have the Flu. Why on earth does anyone think that when the vaccine comes out this virus will go away? o_O

Food Trucks: Beacons of hope for the hungry during COVID-19
Eriksen thinks that not only practicing safety guidelines, but also notifying clients on how they are being practiced and keeping them updated on the business, is essential to maintaining a following during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Just last week, Erikseon posted reasons why it’s still safe to order from mobile food vendors, such as how food trucks only use single-serving containers and silverware (limiting risk of cross contamination), food trucks are open-air establishments so guests aren’t breathing recirculated are, nor are they boxed into one common area, and the fact that trucks have significantly fewer staff members handling food.

“With food trucks, we’re blessed that we’re mobile and do take away,” he said. “You can also see who’s serving you. If you go to a bigger business, you don’t normally see who’s in the back putting your order together, or in the package. When you're shopping at a small business, you see everyone and all the health precautions being taken.”

Thomas Ulwelling, co owner of pan-Asian cuisine truck, Lolly’s Food Trolly, has done the same and said that his guests showed appreciation when things get cleaned, are fast and safe.

“We are doing our best to make sure our customers know their safety is the first priority,” he said. “Employees are asked to wear masks as much as possible, change gloves as much as possible and sanitize every station and utensil used, no matter how often it was used. Most trucks have three to four employees on, which minimizes the spread of infection. Also, most trucks usually employ family members or close individuals that they trust and normally, you know who they've been in contact with.”

A strict practice of social distancing has also been the biggest precaution taken at Lolly’s, Pie94 Butt Hutt Smokehouse and other mobile vendors.

“We suggest that one person per family comes out per order to limit the number of people around,” Eriksen said. “We also do marking on the ground, 6 to 8 feet away. Our register systems are wiped after each use. We prefer that people use card over cash. We’re working on an online-ordering system now. Overall, we have a very clean system.”

He also added frozen pies to the menu for “take and bake” options for families, and although his strategies have been effective so far, he gives credit to fellow food truck owner and friend Jacob Bander, owner of Butt Hutt Smokehouse.

“Honestly, I messaged him and asked if I could re-post the same message he posted,” Eriksen said about Bander’s COVID-19 updates.

“It’s essentially a guideline for what we did to make customers not just feel safe, but actually be safe,” Bander said. “We implemented online ordering. Just pay online, set a pick-up time and everything is ready to go with no physical transaction. The only person touching the order is the person preparing the food and the person ordering the food.”

He also said the register window is sanitized between each customer who does pay at the truck, mentioning using only pre-packaged utensils and again, a strong implementation of social distancing for customers and staff.

“We also switched from lunch to dinner just because in my mind, that’s when the people who are quarantining come out and they’re only focused on picking up their orders,” Bander said. “They are less interactive with the public.”

Bander also started selling meat in bulk to help families staying at home. A family can order up to 5 pounds of pork, which comes refrigerated and vacuum-sealed at 35% discount.

Bander, Eriksen and other mobile vendors are thankful and fortunate to still be in business, but as much as the community supports the trucks, Eriksen is still concerned for small business owners that own brick-and-mortar locations.

“We spoke to a food distributor who originally had about 34 accounts, but are now down to 13,” he said. “I’m not trying to be rude, but corporate America has their buy-outs and loans. Here, we have ma-and-pop restaurants that are hurting. People need to go out and go to local, family-owned restaurants. Everything right now is relying on the community supporting the community.”

Oh, food trucks.

A subdivision nearby had very careful plans for a food truck. Including scheduled pickup times.

Their now authoritarian mayor whipped a 50 year old ordinance out of her bag of tricks and put a stop to that. They forgot to get her highnesses permission first.

50 years ago a kid got hit by an ice cream truck. So 50 years later, businesses still need to pay the price.

Ridiculous, jmo

I am going to get our pharmacist's opinion of that hydrocloroquine, the next time I talk to him. I go over his supplies with him, and talk to him once in a while. If he tells me it is a quack drug, I will let you know. I tell the truth! :)
it is certainly not a quack drug..widely used and accepted. It is just not a panacea in my mind. The youtube videos of Dr. Suheut and Dr. Hansen that go into depth of ACE, ARDS, Ace inhibitors etc etc... show how complicated and variant this virus can get to the cells... each variant probably needs totally different cocktails of effort.

In the US we have a Flu vaccine, and we still have the Flu. Why on earth does anyone think that when the vaccine comes out this virus will go away? o_O

I'm still approx. 20 pages back for forgive me if this has been addressed, but the Flu kills 600 K + people per year.

So once again - In the US we have a Flu vaccine, and we still have the Flu. Why on earth does anyone think that when the vaccine comes out this virus will go away? o_O

I don’t think anyone thinks it will go away, but the chances of getting it would be reduced. I don’t know how many get the flu and/or die who didn’t get the vaccine, but it’s likely the majority are ones who didn’t. The estimate in the article reflects statistics among the elderly and in poorer countries. I always get a flu shot for “insurance” and to keep from infecting others. So at least a vaccine would give those who receive it some protection and help keep it from spreading more. I’m sure there is also research going on simultaneously to find effective treatments. Scientists aren’t putting all their eggs in one (vaccine) basket. We need both.
JMO

i am continually amazed at the way this drug masquerades as other disease
processes- it fools people into thinking for examp!e they are having a stroke
when they have the virus, or the virus seems tobe subsidng and then bam, the
patient deteriorates quickly and dies--in other circumstances the patient may
not manifest shortness of breath and doctors are shocked when a chest xray
is compatible with pneumonia and the virus and the patient's oxygen is
remarkably low- this virus is a perfect human killer of thousands, if not
millions

This is why I found the Dr. Suheut and Dr. Hanson videos so so informative... They both show how the virus can go one way or another to get to the cells. So many alternative paths, and therefore so many alternative symptoms and alternative treatments.

“Mexico's president acknowledged Monday that drug cartels have been handing out aid packages during the coronavirus pandemic, and called on them to stop.

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said such handouts have occurred "in several places," but said the government can't stop the practice.

"It is something that happens, it cannot be avoided," López Obrador said.

"I don't want to hear them saying, 'we are handing out aid packages,'" he said. "No, better that they lay off, and think of their families, and themselves, those that are involved in these activities and who are listening to me now or watching me."

Videos posted on social media have shown one of the daughters of imprisoned drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman handing out boxes of rice, pasta, cooking oil and toilet paper with Guzman's image printed on them.

In the past, drug cartels have tried to gain the sympathy of local populations with handouts.”

Coronavirus: Mexico braces for surge in COVID-19 cases

Not everyone gets a flu shot. Additionally, the vaccination doesn't cover all nor newly evolved flu strains. I declined doctor advised flu shots for many years because I only had the flu once during my 20s. Finally accepted the vaccination, along with pneumonia inoculation, after years of wife's very strongly worded encouragement.

I'm in my 70s now. Definitely not fit compared to my younger years, though my medical provider states I'm in the top 15% health wise for men my age. If yearly shot keeps me out of the hospital and not dying, it is worth doing IMO. My better 99/100ths thinks so.

Because if we didn't have the flu vaccines, we would have a pandemic every year.

COVID-19 isn't much deadlier than the flu, the issue is that we don't have a vaccine, so 10's of millions of Americans will catch it. Multiply that large number by the actual death rate which is probably 0.2-0.4% and you have upwards of 70,000 deaths and an overrun healthcare system. And a crippled economy.

The reason we still have the flu-

* only 40% of Americans get the flu shot, therefore 60% of Americans are vulnerable to catch and spread it.
* the flu shot isn't 100% effective.

Please correct me if you think any of this is wrong.

The Latest: Guterres: Pandemic nearing "human rights crisis”
And he warned that with “rising ethno-nationalism, populism, authoritarianism and a pushback against human rights in some countries, the crisis can provide a pretext to adopt repressive measures for purposes unrelated to the pandemic.”

The secretary-general did not name any countries or parties but stressed that governments must be “transparent, responsive and accountable,” and that press freedom, civil society organizations, the private sector and “civic space” are essential.

He stressed that any emergency measures — including states of emergency — must be “legal, proportionate, necessary and non-discriminatory, have a specific focus and duration, and take the least intrusive approach possible to protect public health.”

He said: “The message is clear: People — and their rights — must be front and center.”___

The U.N. chief sent “warm wishes” to Muslims in a statement Wednesday night that noted that this would be a very different Ramadan because many traditional community activities will not be possible as a result of COVID-19.

Ramadan begins with the new moon this week and Muslims now find themselves cut off from much of what makes the month special as authorities fight the pandemic. Muslims will fast from sunrise-to-sunset fast, but traditional communal meals for the poor, large dinners with family and friends, and cultural events in some countries after sunset have been canceled.

He repeated his March 23 appeal for a global cease-fire “to focus on our common enemy — the virus — recalling the words of the Holy Quran `and if they incline to peace, then incline to it.’”

The transcript for yesterday's WHO presser is out.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...ss-conference-22apr2020.pdf?sfvrsn=4f8821b6_2

Good picture in this article of Covid Toes.

Yep, I still have my one big Covid Toe with one rectangle red patch on the skin below the toenail. It doesn't hurt or itch. I feel fine and I have no symptoms, so I don't know what to make of my toe. Sure, it could be some other condition causing it, but it showed up coincidently right when the virus did. I don't know if calling my doctor at this time might be useless.

Doctors say 'COVID toes' may be symptom of coronavirus, especially in youth
This one is rather strange.. hope we learn more...like where is this coming from??????
One quote in your article says the following:
“I think it’s much more rampant than we even realize,” said Dr. Paller. “The good news is it resolves spontaneously.”

Seems to contradict your experience... it has not resolved spontaneously, right???

By the time New York City confirmed its first case of the coronavirus on March 1, thousands of infections were already silently spreading through the city, a hidden explosion of a disease that many still viewed as a remote threat as the city awaited the first signs of spring.

Hidden outbreaks were also spreading almost completely undetected in Boston, San Francisco, Chicago and Seattle, long before testing showed that each city had a major problem, according to a model of the spread of the disease by researchers at Northeastern University who shared their results with The New York Times.

Even in early February — while the world focused on China — the virus was not only likely to be spreading in multiple American cities, but also seeding blooms of infection elsewhere in the United States, the researchers found.

In five major U.S. cities, as of March 1 there were only 23 confirmed cases of coronavirus. But according to the Northeastern model, there could have actually been about 28,000 infections in those cities by then.

Interesting graphic at link;
Hidden Outbreaks Spread Through U.S. Cities Far Earlier Than Americans Knew, Estimates Say

ETA: I couldn’t delete the attached file. It’s the graphic in the link, but there is more to it.

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-23_5-37-5.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-23_5-37-5.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Omg!!! Look!!!!

Chinese citizen journalist missing for 2 months after reporting on coronavirus in Wuhan reappears
2 hours ago

Gah article won’t load for me, what does it say?!!! Boo having tech issues. What terrible timing. Thanks in advance for bringing content from above article! I’m dying to know what it says!!

Qmfr:
Indeed.

Additionally, what happened with Dr. LW and all the coverup and silencing of their (now missing) citizen journalists, etc. is unacceptable (and scary).

What happened to Chen Q, Fang Bin, and the missing others?? Any news at all? :(

Quick reference:
Another citizen journalist covering the coronavirus has gone missing in Wuhan
Feb 12

Whistleblowing coronavirus doctor at Wuhan hospital mysteriously vanishes
Apr 1

—-

Oh article from 3 days ago:
China's disappeared: What happened to those who dared to speak up about coronavirus? | Daily Mail Online

4 days ago:
2 Wuhan whistleblowers missing months after helping expose coronavirus outbreak, activists say

Coronavirus: Two Bloggers Who Exposed The Real Situation In Wuhan Still Nowhere To Be Found

5 days ago:
Three coronavirus whistleblowers still missing after two months | Metro News

6 days ago:
Coronavirus China: Three whistle-blowers missing two months on | Daily Mail Online

1 week ago:
Fang Bin and Chen Qiushi took the blade from the mouth: So, they disappeared without a trace | The Global Domain News

3 weeks ago:
US lawmaker seeks inquiry into disappearance of Chinese journalists

@Tadpole12 , @JerseyGirl

Remember I said back then I thought they’d never be seen again..:( :(

Shudder

—-

They Documented the Coronavirus Crisis in Wuhan. Then They Vanished.

—-

China's disappeared: What happened to those who dared to speak up about coronavirus? | Daily Mail Online

“Their fate is unknown but human rights groups believe Mr Fang – along with lawyer Chen Qiushi and former state TV reporter Li Zehua – are being tortured and forced to write confessions in extrajudicial detention centres where, in more normal times, Chinese police secretly terrorise lawyers and activists who are seen as enemies of the state.”

[...]

“The Chinese government has been silent over the fate of the whistle-blowers but all three are believed to be in secret detention centres – a sinister form of extrajudicial imprisonment described by officials as ‘residential surveillance at a designated location’.

Frances Eve, deputy director of research at Hong Kong-based watchdog Chinese Human Rights Defenders (CHRD), said: ‘Everyone who has disappeared is at very high risk of torture – most likely to try to force them to confess that their activities were criminal or harmful to society.

‘Then, as we’ve seen in previous cases, people who have been disappeared will be brought out and forced to confess on Chinese state television.’”

[...]

“China has denied knowledge of the disappearance of the whistle-blowers. The Chinese ambassador to the US, Cui Tiankai, has been asked twice in TV interviews about the fate of Chen Qiushi, insisting angrily in the second interview in March: ‘I have not heard of this person… I did not know him then, and I do not know him now.’

The only disappeared person China has made any official comment on is billionaire property tycoon Ren Zhiqiang, 69, who vanished in March after calling President Xi Jinping a clown for mishandling the virus outbreak.”

[...]

“She added: ‘There’s a Chinese phrase that you kill the chicken to scare the monkey. The arrest of the eight doctors, including Dr Li, at the beginning of January was a signal to people to be silent about the coronavirus.’

-more at link

Hmmm...I don’t see them being forced out on TV right now moo.

—-

ETA:

Pierre Haski, president of Reporters Without Borders, said both men are in "the hands of the Chinese authorities."

There is "very little" information about their disappearance, reports Le Parisian.

Haski added: "The authorities may keep them until the subject of the health crisis becomes less hot. In this case, one could imagine that they will be released within a few weeks, but this remains unlikely. The other more usual scenario would be to hear more about them for a while. Then we will learn within six months that they have been indicted for subversion."”

2 Wuhan whistleblowers missing months after helping expose coronavirus outbreak, activists say

—-

“A Chinese government spokesman said FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr is more than welcome to visit Wuhan but called Carr’s request to speak with disappeared citizen COVID19 whistleblowers “a fiction.””

[...]

“Last week, Carr asked China’s communist government to give him permission to speak with the many disappeared citizen journalists who sounded early alarms on the severity of the coronavirus outbreak.

During the back and forth twitter thread the Chinese spokesman suggested that U.S. officials should visit China to experience “freedom,” and the FCC commissioner accepted the offer, adding that first he wants to speak with the brave journalists.”

China Says Disappeared COVID Journalists Is 'fiction,' While FCC Carr Demands They 'Un-disappear' Them

—-

BBC:
Why have two reporters in Wuhan disappeared?
Feb 14

U.S. Virus Guidelines Reject Trump-Backed Drug Combination (1)

" The NIH panel made up of 50 doctors, pharmacy experts and government researchers and officials, specifically recommended against the use of the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine in combination with the antibiotic azithromycin.

The malaria pill can cause heart issues, and the NIH panel warned of the potential for harm from the combination."
They are just starting a trial of these exact same drugs in Hamilton, Ontario. Why bother :rolleyes: Promising COVID-19 treatment now being tested in Hamilton patients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3