Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Atlanta mayor says Georgia governor's reopening of state will be "deadly"

[...]

"It concerns me deeply that we are still seeing an upward trend in our state and we are rushing to reopen businesses," she said on CBSN.

"What I've said is I hope the governor is right and I'm wrong because if he's wrong more people will die," Bottoms added. Read more here.

New model shows most states should not reopen businesses until end of May

Researchers say most of the U.S. should keep stay-at-home orders until the end of May, later than previously suggested.

[...]

Spain's death toll tops 22,000, third highest in the world behind U.S. and Italy

Spain said Thursday 440 people died in the past 24 hours from the new coronavirus, a slight increase for the third day running, bringing the overall death toll to 22,157.

[...]

Chinese journalist reappears almost 2 months after being seized amid online reporting from Wuhan

A former state- media news anchor-turned-citizen journalist has reappeared in China after going missing for nearly two months. The 25-year old had posted videos from Wuhan's front lines during the coronavirus outbreak, interviewing residents and filming funeral homes and college campuses.

Re-emerging into public view for the first time since February 26, Chinese journalist Li Zehua said he was detained by police and quarantined because he had visited "sensitive epidemic areas."

[...]

As toll nears 47,000, U.S. COVID-19 death rate still climbing fast

[...]

At the current rate, which shows no sign of changing significantly yet, the U.S. death toll will likely hit 50,000 by Friday evening or Saturday morning.

uk-govt-covid-deaths-char-april22.jpg

A chart provided by the British government on April 22, 2020, compares the death tolls in various countries hit hard by the new coronavirus from the time those nations confirmed their first 50 deaths from COVID-19.

Almost 50 crew on Italian cruise ship docked in Japan have COVID-19, amid fears of spread onto land

Authorities in the southwest Japanese city of Nagasaki were continuing to test crew members aboard the Italian cruise ship Costa Atlantica on Thursday. So far 48 of the 623 crew members on the ship have tested positive for COVID-19.

All of the crew, except a Japanese translator, are foreign nationals, hailing from about 30 countries. The 86,000-ton Costa Atlantica has no passengers aboard and has been docked in Nagasaki since January 29. It was there for repairs when the first crewman tested positive on Tuesday.

[...]

Americans prioritize staying home and majority worry restrictions will lift too fast

Health concerns still take precedence over economic concerns by a wide margin for Americans in their views on when to re-open the economy — both in what they want for the nation, and in what they'd do themselves. Many say they need to be confident the outbreak is over before returning to public places, and big majorities of all partisans agree the stay-at-home orders are effective.

[...]

Sixty-three percent of Americans are more worried about restrictions lifting too fast and worsening the outbreak —than worry about lifting restrictions too slowly and worsening the economy.

15.png

Japanese city to publicly shame "pachinko" gambling halls that refuse to close amid COVID-19 crisis

Japan's homegrown pachinko halls would not conjure up "essential business" for most people. Chock full of noise, cigarette fumes, flashing screens and masses of dazed players seated at game machines, the parlors are a form of grey-zone legalized gambling, named for the onomatopoiac sound of the hurtling steel balls in the machines.

[...]

Coronavirus updates: U.S. likely to see 50,000 COVID-19 deaths by weekend

Bumping for @margarita25

Also here us the original Guardian article.

Missing Wuhan citizen journalist reappears after two months

"A Chinese citizen journalist who was missing for almost two months after posting videos from Wuhan during the coronavirus outbreak has re-appeared, claiming that he was detained by police and forcibly quarantined.

Li Zehua was one of three Chinese journalists who had been reporting from the front lines in Wuhan during some of the worst weeks of the epidemic. He was last seen on 26 February after posting a video in which he was chased by a white SUV and an hours-long live-stream that ended when several agents entered his apartment.

In a video posted on YouTube, Weibo and Twitter Li said on 26 February the white SUV had pulled out in front of him while he was driving in the Wuchang district in Wuhan and the people in it yelled for him to stop. Li panicked and drove off with the car in pursuit, recording the video that he posted online later that day.

Kcriss Li(@KcrissLi)
我是李泽华Kcriss,这是2月26日至今关于我的一些情况。I'm Kcriss, here is something about me si... 我是李泽华Kcriss,这是2月26日至今关于我的一些情况。I'm Kcriss, here is something about me since February 26th. via @YouTube

April 22, 2020
After making it back to his apartment, he saw uniformed police and staff in protective suits knocking on the doors of his neighbours. Li turned the lights off and sat quietly in front of his computer for hours, waiting. Three hours later, a knock came.

At least three men entered his apartment, identifying themselves as public security. Li then went with them to a local police station where he was told he was being investigated on charges of disrupting public order.

Police later said they would not charge him but because he had visited “sensitive epidemic areas” he would need to undergo quarantine.

Li, who had to give his devices over to a friend, spent the next month in quarantine in Wuhan and then in his hometown in a different province. He was served three meals a day, monitored by security guards and able to watch state broadcaster CCTV’s evening newscast.

“Throughout the whole time, the police acted civilly and legally, making sure I had rest and food. They really cared about me,” he said. Li said he was released on 28 March and has been spending time with his family. He wished those who suffered during the epidemic a fast recovery. “May God bless China and the people of the world unite.”

Li’s tone and comments, neutral and patriotic, were markedly different from his previous videos. Li, who had worked for the state-broadcaster CCTV, travelled to Wuhan to report on the crisis after another citizen journalist and activist Chen Qiushi disappeared.

More at link

Last edited:
Another new twist on how Covid-19 will affect the US in the future - with people not earning a paycheck and thus paying into Medicare and Social Security, the funds will be depleted earlier than estimated.

Since I haven't received my stimulus payment of $1,200 yet, I suppose that will go dry before they finally get to paying everyone that is eligible.

Medicare, Social Security in dire straits even before pandemic, new report shows

MOO

Omg!!! Look!!!!

Chinese citizen journalist missing for 2 months after reporting on coronavirus in Wuhan reappears
2 hours ago

Gah article won’t load for me, what does it say?!!! Boo having tech issues. What terrible timing. Thanks in advance for bringing content from above article! I’m dying to know what it says!!

Qmfr:
It basically says that after he was bought in for questioning he was put in quarantine and how they took such good care of him. A new video appeared recently that was much different than his previous ones (shown on BBC link). Questioning if he made this under scrutiny.

BBC link
Journalist reappears two months after Wuhan chase

They are just starting a trial of these exact same drugs in Hamilton, Ontario. Why bother :rolleyes: Promising COVID-19 treatment now being tested in Hamilton patients
This is why.

"The trial will test a promising combination of two drugs — the antibiotic azithromycin taken with malaria medication chloroquine or a similar drug hydroxychloroquine.

Researchers will recruit at least 500 COVID-19 patients in hospital and 1,000 at home. They'll be randomized so some get the drugs and the others get the current supportive therapy. The aim is to keep those at home out of hospital while preventing ventilation and death among in-patients.

“The trial will provide definitive evidence as to whether these drugs work in treating COVID-19 or not and that’s key at this point,” said Dr. Emilie Belley-Côté, principal investigator, cardiologist and intensivist. “We want to know if it works, but we also want to know if it doesn’t work so we can explore other therapies.”

Dr. Sonia Anand@DrSoniaAnand1

We #ACTCOVID19 are moving quickly to start this trial, working with private sector, and have a call out to Federal Government to help us with drug supply. @FilomenaTassi @NavdeepSBains @AnitaOakville @cafreeland @PattyHajdu @karinagould @PamDamoff @RichardWhitloc2 @ebelleycote https://twitter.com/PHRIresearch/status/1242637623396634624 …

PHRI Population Health Research Institute@PHRIresearch

Our article here includes the full Spec article downloadable as a pdfhttp://www.phri.ca/act-covid-19-trial-for-rapid-discovery-of-treatment/ …@RichardWhitloc2 @MaryCushmanMD https://twitter.com/MaryCushmanMD/status/1242623794688262146 …

2:51 PM - Mar 25, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

See Dr. Sonia Anand's other Tweets

A study like this normally takes 12 months to put together but PHRI did it in roughly one month, bringing together some of Hamilton’s top names in clinical trials."

"There will be coronavirus in the fall," Fauci says after Trump claims virus could disappear

[...]

... Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during a March briefing that he's always indicated that the virus "very well might be" a seasonal, cyclical thing, and the country should be ready. He repeated that belief Wednesday.

"There will be coronavirus in the fall," Fauci said on Wednesday. Click here to read more.

4.4 million Americans filed for unemployment last week

[...]

Many economists say the nation's unemployment rate is around 15% and could eventually approach 20%. The jobless rate peaked at about 25% during the Great Depression. Click here to read more.

Georgia governor stands by decision to ease restrictions after Trump says he "disagreed"

[...]

Kemp, a Republican, said in a series of tweets Wednesday that he discussed his state's plans to ease restrictions on business operations with Mr. Trump, and believes business owners who decide to open their doors will adhere to state guidelines designed to protect employees and customers.

"Our next measured step is driven by data and guided by state public health officials. We will continue with this approach to protect the lives — and livelihoods — of all Georgians," Kemp said on Twitter. Click here to read more.

Coronavirus updates: U.S. likely to see 50,000 COVID-19 deaths by weekend

Seniors with Covid-19 show unusual symptoms, doctors say

[...]

Covid-19 is typically signaled by three symptoms: a fever, an insistent cough and shortness of breath. But older adults — the age group most at risk of severe complications or death from this condition ― may have none of these characteristics.

Instead, seniors may seem "off" — not acting like themselves ― early on after being infected by the coronavirus. They may sleep more than usual or stop eating. They may also seem unusually apathetic or confused, losing orientation to their surroundings.

[...]

Read the full story here.

American Red Cross says it plans to implement antibody testing to help screen for Covid-19 plasma donors

[...]

The American Red Cross said in a statement on Wednesday that it is working to implement antibody testing to help screen for recovered Covid-19 patients who could donate blood plasma to help ill patients fight the disease.

The idea is that convalescent plasma, the liquid part of blood, from recovered patients contains antibodies that could help strengthen the immune response of other patients still battling infection. Last week, the US Food and Drug Administration announced that patients who are fully recovered from Covid-19 for at least two weeks are encouraged to consider donating plasma.

[...]

Twitter expands its coronavirus policy to ban incitement against 5G and cell towers

[...]

In recent weeks, the internet has been awash in false claims suggesting that 5G, the ultra-fast wireless technology, is responsible for the spread of the coronavirus.

Technologists and researchers have said there is no connection between the two, and that attempts to sabotage communications networks threaten to put more lives at risk.

China pledges additional $30 million to World Health Organization

[...]

China contributed close to $86 million in assessed and voluntary contributions in the two-year funding cycle from 2018 to 2019. Recently, skepticism has been aimed toward the WHO's relationship with China as critics have questioned whether the WHO is independent enough, pointing to the WHO's effusive praise of China's response to the coronavirus pandemic.

No end date for Russia's lockdown, government says

[...]

Responding to a question from reporters about the point at which the economic impact of the lockdown might be too great, Peskov said this:

“No, there is no such date. There is a specific time period tied to a specific epidemiological situation.”

School attendance won't be mandatory when classes resume in France

[...]

Macron said that parents who do not wish to send their children to school would not be obliged to do so.

France has outlined a plan to begin reopening schools starting on May 11.

Coronavirus pandemic: Updates from around the world - CNN

Oh, food trucks.

A subdivision nearby had very careful plans for a food truck. Including scheduled pickup times.

Their now authoritarian mayor whipped a 50 year old ordinance out of her bag of tricks and put a stop to that. They forgot to get her highnesses permission first.

50 years ago a kid got hit by an ice cream truck. So 50 years later, businesses still need to pay the price.

Ridiculous, jmo
TBH, this kind of thing has been happening to food trucks for a long time, well before the virus. One nearby that had been established for decades got booted suddenly by a city council last year. They came up with a BS reason.

The real reason, though, was that it was so popular and a sit-down restaurant complained to the “right” people. And the city gets more in taxes from that restaurant than from the licensing of the food truck. So who knows what the real reason was in this case.

Another, smarter nearby city reached out and asked the food truck to move there, and many customers went with it, ignoring the restaurant.

Another new twist on how Covid-19 will affect the US in the future - with people not earning a paycheck and thus paying into Medicare and Social Security, the funds will be depleted earlier than estimated.

Since I haven't received my stimulus payment of $1,200 yet, I suppose that will go dry before they finally get to paying everyone that is eligible.

Medicare, Social Security in dire straits even before pandemic, new report shows

MOO
I haven't read anything that the $1200 will disappear before everyone gets it. The amount has been allocated already and should be in place for distribution, even if all recipients haven't received it yet. It can't dry up because it's already been calculated (they aren't wondering who will apply, like with the loan program, but knew in advance how many people to send it to).

hth

jmo

Last edited:
My work shut down over a month ago and I haven’t done take-out or even gotten a latte at a drive-thru during that time. I’m not sure when I will feel safe even doing that.
Do you live in an area with a very high infection rate ?

My husband still has to go to work every day and he does get take out most days. He could pack a lunch, I know, but...

I made cloth masks for him even though there is very little evidence that they protect the wearer.

I live in a high-rise so still have to use elevators when I have to go out. I still have to use common laundry facilities.

I take all the precautions I can. That's all I can do.

TBH, this kind of thing has been happening to food trucks for a long time, well before the virus. One nearby that had been established for decades got booted suddenly by a city council last year. They came up with a BS reason.

The real reason, though, was that it was so popular and a sit-down restaurant complained to the “right” people. And the city gets more in taxes from that restaurant than from the licensing of the food truck. So who knows what the real reason was in this case.

Another, smarter nearby city reached out and asked the food truck to move there, and many customers went with it, ignoring the restaurant.

In this case, the ordinance has been ignored for years, until . . . Oh. Wait.

Jmo.

Oh, food trucks.

A subdivision nearby had very careful plans for a food truck. Including scheduled pickup times.

Their now authoritarian mayor whipped a 50 year old ordinance out of her bag of tricks and put a stop to that. They forgot to get her highnesses permission first.

50 years ago a kid got hit by an ice cream truck. So 50 years later, businesses still need to pay the price.

Ridiculous, jmo
If the ordinance is on the books, the mayor can't just ignore it. If the ordinance is outdated and no longer desired by the community, get it off the books. Old ordinances can be removed or updated.

jmo

Last edited:
Do you live in an area with a very high infection rate ?

My husband still has to go to work every day and he does get take out most days. He could pack a lunch, I know, but...

I made cloth masks for him even though there is very little evidence that they protect the wearer.

I live in a high-rise so still have to use elevators when I have to go out. I still have to use common laundry facilities.

I take all the precautions I can. That's all I can do.
No, I don’t, although our rate is higher than some of the larger counties near us and our health department just berated citizens over this in newspapers and on Facebook earlier this week. But we also have not tested much and we know it’s out there, hiding, possibly in the young people serving me at the drive-thru. I am at higher risk so I am taking more precautions.

:eek::eek::eek:

In the US we have a Flu vaccine, and we still have the Flu. Why on earth does anyone think that when the vaccine comes out this virus will go away? o_O

Those poor animals have no choice. :(

I'm still approx. 20 pages back for forgive me if this has been addressed, but the Flu kills 600 K + people per year.
Flu Kills 646,000 People Worldwide Each Year: Study

This is exactly why I don't understand the "hype" about a vaccine.

So once again - In the US we have a Flu vaccine, and we still have the Flu. Why on earth does anyone think that when the vaccine comes out this virus will go away? o_O
We still have the flu because of several things.
A lot of people don't get the vax.
The flu mutates a bit every year so current vax is never 100%.
People generally die of flu complications. Eg. Pneumonia

The CV will likely be similar as it has already mutated from SARS. So even if they get a CV vax they will probably have to modify it every year or so anyway.

MOO.

Actually, if an employer offers an employee a job offer, back to work, and the employee declines a valid job offer, the employer can contact Unemployment insurance, and have the employee disqualified from collecting UI.

Each weekly filing, a claimant has to "certify" that they did not decline any job offers, that they were able and available for work. So...
As I see other posters have indicated, the job search requirement and having to accepting your job back have been removed from Unemployment here in my state as well (Virginia).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaggieX