Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #51

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo, the way they are classifying "Covid deaths" is so absurd, you have to wonder why. The quote is from the link and there's video of her saying this and elaborating at the link.

IDPH Director explains how Covid deaths are classified

Essentially, Dr. Ezike explained that anyone who passes away after testing positive for the virus is included in that category.

"If you were in hospice and had already been given a few weeks to live, and then you also were found to have COVID, that would be counted as a COVID death. It means technically even if you died of a clear alternate cause, but you had COVID at the same time, it's still listed as a COVID death. So, everyone who's listed as a COVID death doesn't mean that that was the cause of the death, but they had COVID at the time of the death." Dr. Ezike outlined.

Won't that skew the CoVid deaths? If you are in hospice, and died with CoVid, did you really die from CoVid?

Viral load does not refer to the strain of a virus or this virus, at all. It refers to how many virion (viruses moving between one host and another - virus that's freely floating in the air, in other words) are in your environment.

So, if there were just 2 CV virion that someone's hand left on the bannister in your apartment building, and you touch that and get just 1 of them, that's an extremely low viral load and even if it got into your mouth or nose, your body is likely going to be able to kill it.

As opposed to someone on an airplane, sitting behind you, who makes no attempt to cover their mouth when they cough and sneeze, and they sneeze 10 times, with 30,000 virion per sneeze. You're sitting in a cloud of 300,000 virion within 10 minutes. That's high viral load.

So, doctors who do intubation say that they cannot do it properly with their goggles or face shields on. They have to get right down into the person's mouth with their face (and in the past wore surgical masks to protect the patient - but now they need N95 masks to protect them from the patient - those masks aren't perfect). They are leaning over and nose to nose, basically, with a CV+ patient who is invariably coughing and spewing during the entire procedure (the person is under light sedation and doesn't know any of this - it just happened to me in January). The viral load is so high in that instance that doctors are

ANYWAY, a patient with active viral infection in a closed space is going to increase the viral load which is why taxi drivers, bus drivers, airline personnel, healthcare workers, are all so vulnerable. There are some schools where classrooms built for 18 kindergartners are now used for 30 kindergartners due to lack of resources - the viral load in such a place could get very high, with all the little kids completely asymptomatic.

Does a high viral load or infectious dose make covid-19 worse?
The average number of viral particles needed to establish an infection is known as the infectious dose.

Viral load, on the other hand, relates to the number of viral particles being carried by an infected individual and shed into their environment. “The viral load is a measure of how bright the fire is burning in an individual, whereas the infectious dose is the spark that gets that fire going,” says Edward Parker at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicin

Read more: Does a high viral load or infectious dose make covid-19 worse?

Won't that skew the CoVid deaths? If you are in hospice, and died with CoVid, did you really die from CoVid?

She's flat out saying if you DEFINITELY died from something else totally unrelated to Covid, you will be counted as a Covid death if you tested positive for it. That couldn't help but skew the numbers, especially since a lot of the deaths are in nursing homes/hospice and/or among people with serious comorbities.

eta the relevant part of her quote from the link above:

"It means technically even if you died of a clear alternate cause, but you had COVID at the same time, it's still listed as a COVID death."

Thanks soo much @Tillicum!!
Some of us don’t sound that waaay but the lady with long curly red hair sounds a like a friend in MS. Coown for corn. And the s#*t part needs at least 3-4 syllables to sound correct. Waa y’at dawlin?

Deaths and new infections slightly increase in Spain over the last 24 hours, health officials say

[...]

The latest data released by Spain’s Ministry of Health showed the number of daily deaths increase by 378, according to Fernando Simon, Spain’s director of health emergencies.

This is the third continuous day the number of daily deaths has stayed under 400, Simon said.

[...]

There are at least 906,551 coronavirus cases in the US

[...]

As states begin to include “probable deaths” in their counts, so will the university. In the upcoming days, these changes may show as surges of deaths in the United States.

[...]

Hospitalizations due to coronavirus continue to fall across New York, governor says

[...]

Despite this positive development, 437 people died in New York yesterday from the virus, Cuomo added. That number is up from 422 on April 24.

"This number is, as you can see, call it flat, call it flat with a slight decline, if you're looking for a silver lining. But this is just terrible, terrible horrific news," Cuomo said.

In terms of hospitalizations, Cuomo said, "All the numbers are basically saying the same. That we are, in fact, on the down side of the mountain."

New York is currently testing about 20,000 people a day, governor says

New York is doing more tests per capita than any other country in the world, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said at a news conference today.

Cuomo said the state is currently testing an average of about 20,000 people per day. This includes both diagnostic and antibody tests.

He said the goal is to expand testing even further with federal partnership to be able to conduct 40,000 tests per day.

[...]

Gov. Cuomo to sign executive order allowing independent pharmacies to collect for testing

[...]

There are roughly 5,000 pharmacies in New York and some larger chains have already been doing it, he said.

“Just a quick clarification, the tests at the pharmacies will be diagnostic tests, positive negative, not antibodies tests," Cuomo said. “You will be able to go into a pharmacy and get a test, the parlance is the sample will be collected at the pharmacy, the pharmacy then sends it to a lab, the lab conducts the test.”
Cuomo said he had a great meeting with the federal government this week where a division of labor template was established for ramping up testing.

[...]

At least 23 residents at a New York rehab facility test positive for coronavirus

The Fulton County Public Health Department has reported that 23 residents at the Fulton Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare in Gloversville, New York, have tested positive for coronavirus.

“Numerous residents at the Skilled Nursing Facility tested positive for the virus and the situation is being actively managed by the Center’s administration with direct oversight by New York State Department of Health, Bureau of Communicable Disease and Healthcare Epidemiology and Infection Control staff,” the Health Department said in a release.

[...]

Coronavirus live news and updates from around the world - CNN

Last edited:
Here’s another factor I think that has affected my weight loss - $. I have to make very careful decisions about what to get with very tight budgets. I can buy chips or chocolate or snacks or beer, which will be gone in no time and then I’ll have no food lol. It’s prioritizing and thinking ahead.

Really this whole pandemic has not only helped with weight loss, but also home organization, etc because “I know we may be here a while so I might as well get really really comfie” sort of thing. It’s amazing how behind you can get on things. Like I said I’ve shredded papers, etc. These are things I should’ve done well before the pandemic.

Anyway all we can do is try to make the best of all this. It’s going to happen regardless.

Last edited:
This discussion started when I heard about a study speculating that it's possible the Covid virus can live and be spread up to 100 feet by microscopic particles.

Bringing this up as I imagine us all out again and the various people like shop owners, office people, janitorial staff, etc., we will rely on to clean the environments we enter, shop, eat, or work in.

You may ask why I even brought it up because I don't even own a vacuum cleaner. :eek: I have hardwood floors. :)

I do have an air conditioner, a box fan and a small desk fan that might blow the virus microscopic particles around. What do you think?

I know there's people who like to fix up the older than 20 yr. old vacuum cleaners with no hepa filters. Plus I don't think all hepa filters have the same true hepa performance. (The article below says don't use a hepa filter as a face mask.) Also some people use shop vacs. :oops: Gosh, what about leaf blowers?!! Something to think or worry about.

Check out the video on how to make a face shield out of a soda bottle. Neat!
From scarves to HEPA filters, what kind of face covering is your best bet against coronavirus?

Just a couple of comments. First of all, CV19 can't live in your yard for very long. Once it drops to the ground, it is nearing the end of its viable "life." So while leaf blower dust irritates the lungs, which may make a person more susceptible to various problems, it's probably not a huge risk.

Inside your house, on wood floors, once the virus is down on the floor, it's only getting on your feet (unless you're exercising in a manner that puts more of you in contact with the floor). In the only study I've been able to find, they found that 100% of the hospital floors had significant amounts of virus, still able to infect - but it was getting on people's shoes and booties. With proper handling of those items, obviously, it was not considered a major vector.

It's counter tops, bannisters, and other things that we touch regularly with our hands that are the problem. If everyone in your home is staying inside, then it's not an issue. But if you go outside, say shopping, then you can assume that various surfaces in a store might be contaminated, depending on how many people have been in and out, whether they are wearing masks, and how much coughing/sneezing occurred in the hours before you got there. Assume that the virus lives at least 3 hours on all surfaces, but up to 3 days on things like gasoline pumps, credit card machines, etc. I consider those last things to be constantly infected. Oddly, my DH has considered gas pumps a vector of disease for years and I thought he was being a big ole germophobe.

In hospitals, bannisters, elevator buttons, patients' bed railings, walkers, cupboard handles, etc, etc need to be sanitized almost constantly and when patient load is very high, it's almost impossible to prevent people from coming into contact with the virus, while changing gloves or masks, etc. Remember, too, that in New York and many other places, nurses were made to wear the same mask all day or even for several days...

For those that want to follow what the leading state with infections is doing and what to expect etc... today's briefing

I would like to paraphrase something he said at the end.

Gov. Cuomo's answer to "I can't do this anymore" is this. Today is Day 56 for his state. To put that in perspective:
1918 pandemic - 2 yrs
WWI- 4 yrs
Great Depression - 4 yrs
WWII - 6 yrs
What we are doing has saved lives and will save lives. It is not for nought.

"Life is better than death...even when it's not your own" - A.J. Parkinson

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
We have been through hell and it's not over yet. Yesterday we had ~1,100 people enter the hospital with COVID, which is more than we’d like but less than we have seen in 21 days. Our efforts are working. But we must keep it up if we want the curve to decline faster.
11:45 AM - 25 Apr 2020

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
We are expanding our diagnostic testing criteria so that first responders, frontline healthcare workers and essential workers can all be tested. They are our heroes who are risking their health to get us through this crisis. They deserve priority for testing.
11:49 AM - 25 Apr 2020

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
NEW: Today we are conducting antibody testing for frontline healthcare workers at 4 NYC hospitals: -Bellevue Hospital -Elmhurst Hospital -Montefiore -SUNY Downstate Health Sciences Next week we will conduct antibody testing for MTA/transit workers, NYPD and State Police.
11:53 AM - 25 Apr 2020

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
What New Yorkers are doing is actually saving lives. It’s no exaggeration. I know the last weeks haven’t been easy — but the sacrifices New Yorkers are making are NOT in vain.
11:57 AM - 25 Apr 2020

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
I will sign an Executive Order allowing independent pharmacists to conduct diagnostic Coronavirus tests. This will unlock a network of over 5,000 pharmacies as COVID-19 testing locations. Social distancing measures still apply. This will help us meet new lab capacity.
12:08 PM - 25 Apr 2020

CDC on Twitter
COVID-19Surge is a spreadsheet-based tool that hospital administrators and public health officials can use to estimate the surge in demand for hospital-based services during the #COVID19 pandemic.
Learn more: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
11:38 AM - 25 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
CNN: 52,000 people in the United States have died from coronavirus.
10:57 AM - 25 Apr 2020

A Dozen Public Companies Give Back $160 Million in Small-Business Stimulus Money. Others Say They’ll Keep It.
A dozen of the public companies that received coronavirus hardship loans said they would return the money amid mounting scrutiny, while some of the smaller public companies said they needed the money to keep employees from losing their jobs.

The decisions are the latest twists in the rushed and turbulent rollout of the federal government’s Paycheck Protection Program, a portion of last month’s $2 trillion stimulus package intended to help small businesses and limit layoffs through the coronavirus pandemic. Lawmakers and independent...

[...]

mj, how come Canadians don't have masks.
I watch the news wrt other countries, and it shows so many citizens wearing masks.
Did they all have a stockpile at home.
Did us Canadians miss the memo?
I'm in the countryside, so I only see a few shoppers with masks.

I don't know. I'm in Sticksville too, so I haven't seen another human for a while. I wear my mask sometimes just to keep my cheeks warm. Maybe someone from the city could comment on mask wearing practices.

mj, how come Canadians don't have masks.
I watch the news wrt other countries, and it shows so many citizens wearing masks.
Did they all have a stockpile at home.
Did us Canadians miss the memo?
I'm in the countryside, so I only see a few shoppers with masks.
I can only speak for our household but we don't leave the house without masks. I live in a major city.

I made some cloth masks myself so I wash those after every use. We also have a supply of disposable surgical masks that I got on Amazon, wayyyy overpriced but that's the way it is right now.

Another thing re: the 1918 flu, the first wave strongly and primarily affected 20-40 year olds according to the documentary I reposted above. I’m not sure if this changed in the other waves, watching video again because I turned it off the first time when it started talking about the horrific symptoms experienced by those in the second wave.

Last edited:
I would like to paraphrase something he said at the end.

Gov. Cuomo's answer to "I can't do this anymore" is this. Today is Day 56 for his state. To put that in perspective:
1918 pandemic - 2 yrs
WWI- 4 yrs
Great Depression - 4 yrs
WWII - 6 yrs
What we are doing has saved lives and will save lives. It is not for nought.

"Life is better than death...even when it's not your own" - A.J. Parkinson

He is so quick in mind

The hot weather makes it harder to tell people to stay home. Only some beaches will open, but there's these rules. You can walk on the beach, but you can't stop. May 1st is the official date everyone must wear masks if you leave the house. It's going to be bikinis and face masks.

Scorching Temps Stretch into Weekend for San Diego County

County to Require Mask-Wearing for All Starting May 1

County Clears Way for Beaches to Reopen as Soon as Monday at Cities’ Discretion

"Under the first phase, running and walking allowed at beaches, but stopping, sitting, and lying down are not. The public can surf, swim, kayak, and paddle board in the ocean and bays, but cannot boat. Boardwalks, piers, parking lots, and Fiesta Island are closed, and there are no gatherings or non-physically distant activities allowed on the sand. Boating will not be permitted at this time."

BBM

Los Angeles has mandatory face masks for everyone outside, right now. Local news went out and showed that ZERO of the employees at many stores were wearing masks, not the stockers, not the cashiers, no one.

And at the beaches just outside of L.A. (they can't open theirs yet, it will be a total zoo if they do), people aren't supposed to sit on the beach but my friends are posting pictures of a beach near us - it's business as usual. Blankets about 6 feet apart, which is normal distancing for these beaches.

Meanwhile, in love Huntington Beach (where people protested social distancing), with county-wide restrictions loosened, there are hundreds and hundreds of people on beaches, piers, sidewalks, no social distancing whatsoever. Big parties of 20-somethings, with 30-50 in a group, no masks.

Many of them will become asymptomatic transmitters, so I hope their parents are ready for it, because these young people mostly live with their parents. Many are college students sent home from dorms. I hope their parents have mortgage life insurance...

Coronavirus: We're not out of danger yet: Warning not to bust lockdown in sunny weather

Frustration and desperation to return to normal life are not good enough reasons to lift the lockdown and the UK is not out of danger yet, it has been warned.

As Britain enjoyed glorious sunny weather above 20C in many regions, the home secretary said data shows the number of journeys continues to rise but that people must respect the rules - and she insisted the government's message is clear.

"We understand the frustration," she said, adding: "Staying at home and enforcing social distancing is absolutely vital."

Speaking at the government's daily coronavirus news conference, Priti Patel said "we all want to return to living our lives as soon as possible" but that five tests need to be met before lifting restrictions can be considered.

She said it would be "irresponsible" to offer a date on which rules could be relaxed, saying: "The fact of the matter is, we want to prevent a second wave of this horrendous virus."

Echoing the message, director of NHS England Stephen Powis said: "The sun is out around the country, the days are getting longer, and I'm sure it's tempting for people to feel that they should go out."

But he added: "I can't emphasis enough that we are far from there yet...it won't take much for this virus to start increasing its transmission again and spread more widely."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbarch