Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NBA postpones 2020 Draft Lottery and Draft Combine

The National Basketball Association said this year’s Draft Lottery and Draft Combine has been postponed due to concerns associated with the Covid-19 pandemic.

The Draft Lottery was scheduled for May 19, and May 21–24 for the combine. Both events were set to be held in Chicago.

The 2020 NBA Draft is still set for June 25. The NBA season was suspended on Wednesday, March 11.

US coronavirus update: Some states have partially reopened

I have a serious question: since there is a large part of our population that appears not to understand the ramifications of a pandemic -- so they are romping on the beach- gathering to protest- and doing other activities that are guaranteed to spread the virus-- could there come a point where the government could/would/should institute Martial Law? I mean can we really tolerate 1-2 million deaths in this county?

FLORIDA
More than 1,500 warnings have been issued to park visitors for violating reopening rules, according to the Miami Beach Police Department.

Miami Beach park rangers issued 899 verbal warnings to park visitors not wearing face coverings on Thursday, the police department said.

Park rangers also issued verbal warnings to 10 people for failing to social distance as well as 76 people being asked to leave the parks after closing time.

Miami Beach reopened parks on Wednesday with some restrictions, including face coverings and social distancing.

Park rangers issued 652 warnings on Wednesday to people not wearing masks and 23 warnings to people not social distancing.

US coronavirus update: Some states have partially reopened - CNN
Not specific to this place at all...just this article just made me think about how parks were closed for a while in many place. I sympathize with protesters, thinking about how wrong it is to deny people public spaces outdoors. I just wish people would follow the rules so we can have parks open, yet still be as cautious as possible.

Maybe this means shorter hours or limits to how many can access the place via parking lots at a given time. Maybe passing out masks, but I'm pretty sure they'll end up as litter. I really don't know how to manage it, other than to accept that the virus will spread there, and will be carried elsewhere. I really don't believe in closing our parks. Just musing.

Politicians, players and owners are trying to figure out a way to get baseball, basketball and hockey going again, not only for economic reasons but as a welcome diversion for a social distancing nation facing uncertain times. To do so would require commandeering thousands of test kits each week for millionaire pro athletes and support staff, something many view as unseemly, especially when ordinary Americans are waiting in line.

Leagues know it would be a terrible look for them to jump the testing line. Acutely aware of the potential backlash, commissioners and owners are saying that, until the public has more access to testing, they don't want to secure tests for players.

For sports, coronavirus testing remains a major hurdle

Last edited:
This is a fairly technical article about the fact that CV-19 has become pandemic in large part due to asymptomatic transmission (undocumented cases).

A lot of people have passed CV-19 to someone else without ever knowing they had it. Through contact tracing, for example, it was found in another study that one asymptomatic carrier (perhaps mildly symptomatic) passed CV-19 to three nursing homes in Washington state. It would seem that one place that "15 minute" test results should be arranged should be for workers about to go on shift in nursing homes - if we're serious about protecting the very elderly and frail.

At any rate, CV-19 will continue to have, as its main vector, the asymptomatic. As Japan has traced its first two cases to Hawaii (and possibly, from there, to Wuhan - via the Military Games held there in October).

From earlier links: Viral shedding is higher before the fever arrives; it starts about 2-3 days after exposure; age is not a factor in transmission (everyone gets it; the elderly die from it).

Substantial undocumented infection facilitates the rapid dissemination of novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2)

Anyway, for anyone with a real interest in epidemiology and how this virus spreads, it's worth a read.

Orange County beach cities filing legal action against Gov. Newsom's closure

ORANGE COUNTY, Calif. (KABC) -- At least two Orange County cities are filing legal action to fight Gov. Gavin Newsom's order closing the county's beaches.

The Huntington Beach City Council on Thursday voted 5-2 to pursue a legal challenge against Newsom's order.
"Governor Newsom's mandate to close all beaches in Orange County today was a jarring decision that significantly impacts us here in Huntington Beach," said Huntington Beach Mayor Lyn Semeta. "Given that Orange County has among the lowest per-capita COVID-19 death rates in California, the action by the State prioritizes politics over data, in direct contradiction of the Governor's stated goal to allow science and facts to guide our response to this horrible global pandemic."

The city council of Dana Point also voted, 4-1, to pursue a temporary restraining order against the governor and the state.

Enforcement was light because officers did not have enough signage for a full beach closure when the governor's order went into effect today, Huntington Beach Police Chief Robert Handy said.

Once all the signage is in place, police will proceed with enforcement. They will issue misdemeanor citations and make arrests if necessary.

c12391ef-c9b0-4ca0-9b11-30740dff4eeb.jpg

Last edited:
Not specific to this place at all...just this article just made me think about how parks were closed for a while in many place. I sympathize with protesters, thinking about how wrong it is to deny people public spaces outdoors. I just wish people would follow the rules so we can have parks open, yet still be as cautious as possible.

Maybe this means shorter hours or limits to how many can access the place via parking lots at a given time. Maybe passing out masks, but I'm pretty sure they'll end up as litter. I really don't know how to manage it, other than to accept that the virus will spread there, and will be carried elsewhere. I really don't believe in closing our parks. Just musing.

I hear your voice and your vote. So...presumably if every other thing stayed closed, the parks would very gradually spread the virus. It's mostly younger people (20-50) in the parks, plus kids, so as long as people were fine with not seeing the grandparents/their own parents, then the spread would stay slow. If the park goers work at care homes, it will be devastating. If the park goers end up in the numbers we're seeing at Huntington Beach, well - just take a look at the graph for Orange County:

COVID-19 Case Counts and Testing Figures | Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

They are now exponential in terms of cases. Deaths are also rising in number, of course.

As long as they don't displace other people from healthcare (think of the people who have to wait for orthopedic surgery or cancer surgery or other procedures when a hospital is overcome with CoVid).

So, right now, the rest of California will help OC out, because there are available beds and help. We just don't want every beach-facing county to do the same thing, as that will disrupt the very fragile balance.

Also, healthcare workers are super pi$$ed and they haven't had time off for weeks. They want lives too - so it'll be an interesting conflict of interest. Doctors are required to ask questions of all CoVid patients about certain risk activities. Will these patients lie to their doctors? I wonder. If they tell the truth, their caretakers will give them the same care, but the energy focused on them might not be so cheerful. Hope and cheer are important too.

Enforcement was light because officers did not have enough signage for a full beach closure when the governor's order went into effect today, the police chief said.

Once all the signage is in place, police will proceed with enforcement. They will issue misdemeanor citations and make arrests if necessary.

And did you see what's happening in OC, in the past week? More cases - it's now exponential. They just hadn't gotten many cases yet, but now that they've been out in crowds for two weekends in a row, we'll see more of this:

COVID-19 Case Counts and Testing Figures | Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just so everyone can see what that looks like.

Ha! Can you see Guy Fieri slightly lifting up some wild looking mask as he tries to put a fork full of something under his mask...then it drops all over his shirt?? And the chef throws him a napkin as he has to keep 6’ away!

Love DriveIns Diners and Dives!!
I just want to see Guy's roots not jiving with his highlights. Surely he can't get hair maintenance either, right?

If everyone has been unable to go to the beach for many weeks, then told the beaches are open - but don’t everyone go at once, social distance, etc - wonder how many people were surprised at the number of people were already there and thought “where did all these people come from”.

How to control the number of people?
Before they get to the beach and say screw it and do whatever they want?
JMO

I have a serious question: since there is a large part of our population that appears not to understand the ramifications of a pandemic -- so they are romping on the beach- gathering to protest- and doing other activities that are guaranteed to spread the virus-- could there come a point where the government could/would/should institute Martial Law? I mean can we really tolerate 1-2 million deaths in this county?
IMO, no, this is not something I think will happen.

jmo

I hear ya. There are so many overlaps, opinions and desires that people have in common about opening up, but it's presented as "this way" OR "that way'" as if people don't agree or have the same goals.

I want things to open up just as much as everyone else does. But I also want my fellow citizens to protect each other by social distancing.

Social distancing is key....and it's simple!

jmo

Great news for us today, finally got into IRS website, they're mailing our $1200. Checks today, AND... when I checked our business checking account there was an $8,000.00 deposit from the small business administration!!!!!
Yay!!!
I immediately contacted our landlord and let them know we are sending them rent money.
Now I need to file a reopening plan with the county. I will do that today because lord only knows how long before they approve that.

What does the future hold for Florida's infamous unemployment website?
Floridians are suffering so much with the constantly crashing unemployment site. Looks like the system was initially set up to be difficult for people to maneuver by the previous governor, and this new governor is having to try to deal with it. People are suffering big-time..

Enforcement was light because officers did not have enough signage for a full beach closure when the governor's order went into effect today, Huntington Beach Police Chief Robert Handy said.

c12391ef-c9b0-4ca0-9b11-30740dff4eeb.jpg

Enforcement costs money. Wish people could just follow the safety recommendations. It's not cool to cause such a fuss....about a beach day.

jmo

We grow a lot of garlic here in California. Yeast is a problem, not yet on this list.
I'm trying to figure out how to handle a Mother's day to go menu, along with current shortages.
I feel like a contestant on the TV show "Chopped" :-/

A Broken Supply Chain Means These 11 Products Could Be Out of Stock Soon

Many of the products people use in the U.S. are manufactured abroad, so the coronavirus-related factory shutdowns in China, India and elsewhere could have ripple effects on the availability of these items here soon — if they haven’t already.....

Laptops
Medical Supplies
Pharmaceutical Products
iPhones
Toilet Paper
LCD Televisions
Garlic
Vapes
Toys
Diet Soda
Specialty Food Items

Products That Are Already in Low Supply

Virtual Reality Headsets
Thermometers
Video Game Consoles
Disinfectants
Yeast
Hand Sanitizer
Freezers

No, he barely drives. But you guys did make me wonder if he could do this online. So I just applied for a duplicate drivers license for him for $6 online.

Duh. Guess I should have realized this was possible before. But I’m Gen-X, and we have one foot in the rotary phone world and the other in high speed internet world. Sometimes I forget it’s not the 80s, I guess.

That is really quite clever, JaneEyre....ha ha....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ManneyMalo