Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news for us today, finally got into IRS website, they're mailing our $1200. Checks today, AND... when I checked our business checking account there was an $8,000.00 deposit from the small business administration!!!!!
Yay!!!
I immediately contacted our landlord and let them know we are sending them rent money.
Now I need to file a reopening plan with the county. I will do that today because lord only knows how long before they approve that.
Congratulations KALI! We've all been waiting for this great news forever!

All of this is so heartbreaking.

Here is another one I read yesterday

CHICAGO - With the pandemic hobbling the meat-packing industry, Iowa farmer Al Van Beek had nowhere to ship his full-grown pigs to make room for the 7,500 piglets he expected from his breeding operation.

The crisis forced a decision that still troubles him: He ordered his employees to give injections to the pregnant sows, one by one, that would cause them to abort their baby pigs.

Van Beek and other farmers say they have no choice but to cull livestock as they run short on space to house their animals or money to feed them, or both.

Piglets Aborted, Chickens Euthanized as Pandemic Slams Meat Sector

Therapy pets can’t help Alzheimer’s patients right now. But there’s a robotic alternative
https://www.miamiherald.com/living/health-fitness/article242316246.html#storylink=cpy

Florida’s Department of Elder Affairs is planning to deliver more than 375 robotic pets to socially isolated senior citizens and adults living with Alzheimer’s
Disease and related dementia this week to help them during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Awww, here’s something sweet. What a nice thing to do. What I take note of is how the faces of the recipients light up, and how they can’t help but gently pet the robotic animals. I would, too! Sheltering at home, I sure miss having a pet.

There’s even a link at the end of the article where you can request from Florida’s Dept of Elder Affairs one of these robotic cats or dogs, or an MP3 player, presumably for those qualified.

New digital platform for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland!

The Oregon Shakespeare Festival is taking a new step into the digital world, hoping to connect with the millions of Oregonians stuck at home during the coronavirus pandemic.

The southern Oregon theater company launched its new digital platform, O!, on Wednesday, where it expects to begin streaming previously staged performances as well as documentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, interviews and educational videos.

Oregon Shakespeare Festival will stream performances online with new platform ‘O!’

Although live productions were suspended in March, with hopes to resume in September, audiences can enjoy mostly free content on the new digital platform, originally scheduled to debut in 2021 but bumped up due to coronavirus.

Don’t let the name fool you. The Festival is Shakespeare and much, much more.
You will not be disappointed (shameless plug for my former employer :)). Enjoy!

| O!

they're doing that here in Stratford, Ontario too

Sorry, Orange County is in terrific shape. They've had 45 deaths in a population of 3.2 Million people. Source wikipedia, as of 3 hours ago.

COVID-19 Case Counts and Testing Figures | Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

They are now exponential in terms of cases. Deaths are also rising in number, of course.

As long as they don't displace other people from healthcare (think of the people who have to wait for orthopedic surgery or cancer surgery or other procedures when a hospital is overcome with CoVid).

So, right now, the rest of California will help OC out, because there are available beds and help. We just don't want every beach-facing county to do the same thing, as that will disrupt the very fragile balance.

Also, healthcare workers are super pi$$ed and they haven't had time off for weeks. They want lives too - so it'll be an interesting conflict of interest. Doctors are required to ask questions of all CoVid patients about certain risk activities. Will these patients lie to their doctors? I wonder. If they tell the truth, their caretakers will give them the same care, but the energy focused on them might not be so cheerful. Hope and cheer are important too.[/QUOTE]

SCOTT GOTTLIEB

"Positivity rates for covid19 testing nationally are starting to decline as testing expands sharply and we move more testing away from hospitals and into community (where overall prevalence is generally lower) and as infection declines in some areas, especially hard hit New York."

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter
Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

My comment: currently 17%....need to be at 5%.

Attachments

• IMG_20200501_195925.png
    IMG_20200501_195925.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 4
Has anyone posted this fascinating article yet?

Elinor Ostram was a political scientist, who was also the first woman to win the Nobel Prize in economics back in 2009. She won for her brilliant research that can help explain why some folks today simply don't want to comply with COVID-19 rules and why we have to make them. Ostrom's research to COVID-19.

Economists used to think that, given a chance, everyone would always act in their own best interests, which could entail breaking rules to gain personal advantage. Ostrom showed that most people are willing to sacrifice for the collective good.

These people are called "Willing Participants."
These folks will do what's asked of them by public health officials. They might grumble, but they understand there is a collective good. This is the majority of us; we estimate them as just shy of 65 per cent of people.

Then there are the "Rational Egoists." This is a considerable minority of people — about 20 per cent. Egoists are only interested in what's best for themselves.

Ostrom showed us that these egoists will only change their behaviour (say, in response to COVID-19) to avoid punishment. [...]

When egoists don't follow the rules, not only can their actions cause others to fall ill, but they can ruin the hard work of public health officials by, quite literally, showing willing participants the wrong way to behave.

Some willing participants, when asked if they would do something foolish just because they saw someone else doing it, will actually say yes.

They're still "willing," but instead of following the rules, they're also now "willing" to break them.

If some rule breakers (egoists) turn into lots of rule breakers (egoists and willing participants), that's when it gets dangerous.

These two groups add up, by our estimates, to about 85 per cent of the population.

Now, let's look at everybody else. Because they're divided pretty equally into two fascinating groups.

First, a small number are Altruists, who always do the right thing even though we can't explain why. Altruists are few and far between; nearly everyone else needs some kind of motivation to do the right thing.

The last group has, in our view, the most interesting motivation — the Punishers. Punishers are willing to suffer themselves just to stick it to the egoists.

[...]more at link

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calg...mOEhZTlJ0a21WZU1JXC9IUzZGVExcL2dRY3lkMlJTUSJ9

Ostrom's research to COVID-19.

Elinor Ostram was a political scientist, who was also the first woman to win the Nobel Prize in economics back in 2009. She won for her brilliant research that can help explain why some folks today simply don't want to comply with COVID-19 rules and why we have to make them. Ostrom's research to COVID-19.

Economists used to think that, given a chance, everyone would always act in their own best interests, which could entail breaking rules to gain personal advantage. Ostrom showed that most people are willing to sacrifice for the collective good.

These folks will do what's asked of them by public health officials. They might grumble, but they understand there is a collective good. This is the majority of us; we estimate them as just shy of 65 per cent of people.

Then there are the "Rational Egoists." This is a considerable minority of people — about 20 per cent. Egoists are only interested in what's best for themselves.

Ostrom showed us that these egoists will only change their behaviour (say, in response to COVID-19) to avoid punishment. [...]

When egoists don't follow the rules, not only can their actions cause others to fall ill, but they can ruin the hard work of public health officials by, quite literally, showing willing participants the wrong way to behave.

Some willing participants, when asked if they would do something foolish just because they saw someone else doing it, will actually say yes.

They're still "willing," but instead of following the rules, they're also now "willing" to break them.

If some rule breakers (egoists) turn into lots of rule breakers (egoists and willing participants), that's when it gets dangerous.

These two groups add up, by our estimates, to about 85 per cent of the population.

Now, let's look at everybody else. Because they're divided pretty equally into two fascinating groups.

First, a small number are Altruists, who always do the right thing even though we can't explain why. Altruists are few and far between; nearly everyone else needs some kind of motivation to do the right thing.

The last group has, in our view, the most interesting motivation — the Punishers. Punishers are willing to suffer themselves just to stick it to the egoists.

[...]more at link

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calg...mOEhZTlJ0a21WZU1JXC9IUzZGVExcL2dRY3lkMlJTUSJ9

I've went from willfully compliant to grumbling participant.

Every morning around 10:30, Patrick Collins counts out hundreds of white flags to be planted on the front lawn of his Old Greenwich, Connecticut, church -- one flag for each Covid-19 victim in the state from the previous day.

"My hope is that everyone, whoever sees it, takes it as an opportunity to reflect on wherever they are at in this moment in time," Collins, the pastor of the First Congregational Church, told CNN. "To take it as a somber reminder that we are in this and we're all in this together and we're all in experiencing this loss together."

The church now has thousands of flags on the lawn as Connecticut's death toll has risen.

"There are people who are dying, essentially alone, and it feels like we are talking about moving on without honoring the people who have died," he says.

So, he decided to plant white flags for each death on the church's expansive front lawn to memorialize the victims in Connecticut. Each time he pushes a flag into the ground, he says, he takes a moment to remember that it's in memory of a person who likely died alone.

"That's not how God intended us to go through this process," he says. "We are relational in nature. Human nature craves to be with each other, especially in those moments, and to deny that is to deny our humanity as well."

A pastor is memorializing each of the thousands of Covid-19 victims in his state with a white flag

It is truly puzzling. I can think of many hidden agendas, because groups of powerful people do have them. Not necessarily nefarious, but in my own research, I know that no matter what the disease is, some people simply do not want to know whether they have it or not. For any reason. It's too anxiety-producing or something. They usually have a difficult time stating exactly why. My dad was like that and so was his brother, so perhaps it's also cultural. Some people are just phobic about swabbing, too.

However, as it's stated in the news, there are not enough tests in Washington, D.C. to test 100 Senators (and, I suppose, their staff). They don't want to come back without their staffs, as they won't know what to do or how to vote without the typical briefings and caucuses.

There does seem to be a pattern of the White House and staff getting preferential treatment over Senate - but why that is, well, there's just lots of speculation. I suspect that the Senate needed to organize itself and ask for testing, which may not have occurred until the last few days.

Well, it's not up to the executive branch to coordinate testing for the legislative branch. They are separate entities. The Capitol physician responsible for the Senators needed to figure this out himself.

I see a lot of states with access to testing now. I wonder why DC doesn't seem to have that access?

Why wouldn't the White House get preferential treatment? There is only one President, Commander In Chief, etc. It makes the White House is going to receive the best and quickest testing to prevent our President from going down in the middle of a severe global crisis.

ETA:looks like there are some testing sites available in DC:

New testing site will cater to underserved D.C. wards

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2020/05/01/coronavirus-dc-maryland-virginia-live-updates/

Howard University Hospital on Tuesday plans to open a testing site intended to serve District neighborhoods hit hardest by the coronavirus pandemic. Residents of Wards 7 and 8, the city’s poorest, can make an appointment and obtain a test even if they have no risk factors or symptoms, said Hugh Mighty, dean of Howard University College of Medicine and vice president of clinical affairs.

“We need to screen everybody,” he said. “You want to know the negative as well as you want to know the positive. Unless we blanket the whole region with screening, we’re not going to know what we’re dealing with in terms of who is positive.”

Data show people of color and low-income residents are disproportionately impacted by covid-19 and are at higher risk for developing heart disease, hypertension and diabetes, which can exacerbate the virus, Mighty said.

The testing site will allow health-care providers to share information with patients about preventive care, how to manage underlying conditions and the availability of telemedicine when in-person appointments are not feasible.

Howard plans to test 100 people in the first week and grow to 200 people per week; LabCorp will process the samples, Mighty said. A $1 million grant from Bank of America funded start-up costs, he said.

Great news for us today, finally got into IRS website, they're mailing our $1200. Checks today, AND... when I checked our business checking account there was an $8,000.00 deposit from the small business administration!!!!!
Yay!!!
I immediately contacted our landlord and let them know we are sending them rent money.
Now I need to file a reopening plan with the county. I will do that today because lord only knows how long before they approve that.

Congratulations - that is wonderful news for you and for the community you serve, @KALI! Out of curiosity - is the reopening plan paperwork as difficult as a lot of government paperwork tends to be? Or did they (crossing fingers!) make it user-friendly?

Yay!!!
HOOOOORAY !!!!......moo

No, he barely drives. But you guys did make me wonder if he could do this online. So I just applied for a duplicate drivers license for him for $6 online.

Duh. Guess I should have realized this was possible before. But I’m Gen-X, and we have one foot in the rotary phone world and the other in high speed internet world. Sometimes I forget it’s not the 80s, I guess.
LOL! I knew you were a sister :) I'm shocked every time I realize that the late 90s are no longer recent history.

Back on topic, that was a good idea, and reminds me to check my own docs. Municipalities really need to be communicative and kind about this. They really need to not be issuing tickets for revenue on lapsed licenses, inspection or registrations, etc. At least, not without official warnings first.

[...]more at link

I do not seem to fit any of those groups.....I guess that means I am just "one of a kind special."........:D.....moo

"Monahan told the staff that neither he, nor anybody else in the nation's capital, has access to the 15-minute tests the White House uses. He also noted that he does not have enough resources to test asymptomatic lawmakers, and will only be testing those who show signs associated with the disease such as cough, fever, difficulty breathing, runny nose and fatigue."

Ok so what are these 15 minute tests? Anyone know why everywhere cannot use them?
The 15 min tests are in short supply because they were just invented 3 to 4 weeks ago, and they can't produce enough to keep up with the demand, at this point.

But when I google '15 min Covid19 testing' I do see various health departments that say they are using them in various circumstances.

one example from 3 hours ago, in Nashua New Hampshire:
Shibinette Talks Expanding COVID-19 Testing in N.H.

Lori Shibinette, commissioner for the Department of Health and Human Services about the state's response to the crisis and what's next.

Lori Shibinette: And then really working with our hospital partners to get clinics up and going. Our partners at Manchester and Nashua Public Health, they've done mobile testing there with a goal of being around 1,500 tests a day on average. But ultimately that number needs to look like who's having any symptoms at all and how can we get them tested.

Rick Ganley: But if that's the case, if you've got a lot of people who are asymptomatic, and you've only tested maybe once, you get a snapshot of it. Shouldn't the focus be on providing rapid testing multiple times to make sure that you do know who could be carrying this?

Lori Shibinette: Yep. And we are doing some of that. There are facilities that have had outbreaks in the state that we've done multiple sets of testing on. So we've had two or three facilities that have had, you know, pretty significant outbreaks. And our mobile team has been there, you know, two, three, four times in some cases. And at some point our regular testing has basically a 24 hour turnaround right now from the time that the lab gets it. And even, you know, the staff testing that Convenient MD has been doing has about a 24 hour turnaround. We've now gained the ability to send out our CST team, our civil support team, which is a mobile lab on wheels. And we've deployed them to long term care facilities to do that rapid 15 minute testing. So we are doing that right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoriVee