Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #54

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some parts of the economy are supply chain and that has to continue. Clothing shops are not a necessary service/goods. It will be interesting to see if shopping as a habit, rather than purpose, ends.
Interesting isnt it? I have been working from home throughout and I'm only buying food. My food bill has increased, not least because we are four adults here and I've tried to shop mega healthy. But I have realised how much I was wasting on coffees, lunches, hair appointments, facials etc. I dont want to go back to that at all. Also I'm not buying fuel, have only refuelled once in 7 weeks. I'm not at all inclined to buy clothes at the moment, even tho I buy them all online.

In Ohio only symptomatic people who tested negative for flu (except for some prisons and nursing homes) were tested for COVID-19. It's interesting that of the 159,838 tested only 20,072 were confirmed positive. So IMO there's a bug out there with the same symptoms that made a lot of people sick.

Or they're testing some people with no symptoms, perhaps essential workers, etc. I could see health care providers doing that, JMO.

Some parts of the economy are supply chain and that has to continue. Clothing shops are not a necessary service/goods. It will be interesting to see if shopping as a habit, rather than purpose, ends.
Clothing shops are not a necessity, but they employ people and are anchors at shopping centers. I agree with our curiosity - will shopping as a pastime cease?

Who wants to handle merchandise that others have been handling?

jmo

Over 70% of inmates at two separate Ohio prisons test positive for Covid-19

Here's a breakdown of cases at each facility:

Marion Correctional Institute: As of May 4, 1,746 inmates and 175 staff members tested positive for Covid-19.

Pickaway Correctional Institute: 1,554 inmates and 101 staff members tested positive for coronavirus.

There have been 11 confirmed coronavirus-related inmate deaths at MCI, and 23 at PCI.

There have also been an additional two “probable” Covid-19 deaths at PCI. A staff member at PCI — a nurse – died due to complications associated with the virus.

It should be noted that these two facilities account for a vast majority of the positive cases in prisons in Ohio currently — 3,300 out of a total of 3,580.

US coronavirus update: Latest on cases, deaths and reopening

I'm worried about Wave 2 too. And with the next wave, there really is no excuse not to be prepared - by social distancing to reduce spread, with personal household preparations, and state/national plans.

Wave 2 will be the test of who we are, imo.

jmo
We will have a vaccine by June though IMO.

Interesting isnt it? I have been working from home throughout and I'm only buying food. My food bill has increased, not least because we are four adults here and I've tried to shop mega healthy. But I have realised how much I was wasting on coffees, lunches, hair appointments, facials etc. I dont want to go back to that at all. Also I'm not buying fuel, have only refuelled once in 7 weeks. I'm not at all inclined to buy clothes at the moment, even tho I buy them all online.

My daughter, with a family of 5, said her costs went up because food prices have increased significantly.

Clothing shops are not a necessity, but they employ people and are anchors at shopping centers. I agree with our curiosity - will shopping as a pastime cease?

Who wants to handle merchandise that others have been handling?

jmo

The Canadian government is providing for employees and small shop owners for 4 months. That eliminates non-essential service/goods from forcing people to work before the provincial rollout phases are complete.

I agree. It could be years before people want to buy merchandise that has been handled by potentially sick people. Like the olden days - people can pick a style, be measured, and buy the item that fits those measurements either online or in store. You buy, you keep policy.

This is a flight from Belfast to London yesterday

Aer Lingus passenger shares photo of Heathrow flight with '95% seats taken and no social distancing'

Belfast City Airport chief issues statement following packed Aer Lingus flight

95% full and no social distancing to be seen.

Also when I criticize the UK it’s because of its farcical handling of this crisis.

Today it was revealed that around 18million people were let into Britain without any screening as covid-19 spread across the world.

Shocking figures from the Home Office reveal just 273 travellers from virus ground zero Wuhan and Tokyo were forced to self-isolate after entering the UK

The Canadian government is providing for employees and small shop owners for 4 months. That eliminates non-essential service/goods from forcing people to work before the provincial rollout phases are complete.

I agree. It could be years before people want to buy merchandise that has been handled by potentially sick people. Like the olden days - people can pick a style, be measured, and buy the item that fits those measurements either online or in store. You buy, you keep policy.

Not sure we have the skilled employees to make clothes from scratch for all customers, but might be a skill worth bringing back into the general marketplace.
jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member