Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #54

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure we have the skilled employees to make clothes from scratch for all customers, but might be a skill worth bringing back into the general marketplace.
jmo

I'm not thinking home made clothing, I'm referring to distributions and shops. I suppose 3rd world countries do not give clothing manufacturing employees the option of missing work, so clothing distribution in first world countries will continue as always - providing consumers aren't touching the merchandise before there is a sale - for now.

My daughter, with a family of 5, said her costs went up because food prices have increased significantly.
Your daughter is right, @otto . I don't eat much meat but from time-to-time, cook roast chicken and beef to slice up, bag and put in freezer to use as protein in veggie meals. I just finished a roasting/slicing/freezing marathon and spent at least twice as much on products. BTW, half my freezer is loaded with my eating essentials, the other half......cat food.

In response to the Honduras link - don't know where it is - I think these people have a good argument to keep plague corpses out of their community. It is common sense, yet it sounds like they are going to be educated and forced to accept diseased corpses.

"They came to bury a corpse on Sunday, they came with all the security measures but if the relatives come to buy from a grocery store they will infect us," a local community activist told Channel 3 television.

Deputy Health Minister Roberto Cosenza said such incidents were becoming increasingly common.

In several parts of Honduras, local residents have joined forces "to prevent funeral corteges passing through communities and the relative has to try to find a place to bury the body," Cosenza said.

In some instances, relatives were refusing to accept the corpses of virus victims from morgues, even though they are wrapped in plastic, "and the health service has to go to the cemeteries to bury them."
Hondurans block highway to prevent COVID-19 burials - France 24

Your daughter is right, @otto . I don't eat much meat but from time-to-time, cook roast chicken and beef to slice up, bag and put in freezer to use as protein in veggie meals. I just finished a roasting/slicing/freezing marathon and spent at least twice as much on products. BTW, half my freezer is loaded with my eating essentials, the other half......cat food.

My daughter's husband normally does the weekly shopping. She noticed that he overspent twice. She decided to take charge, did the shopping, and spent more than her husband. Prices went up.

Protect the pets! They might be secretly keeping us sane during weeks of isolation.

When told not to do something and you continue to do then it makes you a idiot. Case in point he almost died because he was a idiot and ignored the advice given.

It is criminal that we now have the most deaths in Europe despite all the advantages we had as a country as we could see what was happening weeks in advance.

I take my hate off to Germany and other counties who have managed to contain this and been proactive in the fight to protect their country and their citizens.

I hope the second wave which though out history has always been more fatal is somehow contained because no doubt we will get one.

Germany has done brilliantly, but it's not really that they contained it (their case rate is similar to that of France) but they've kept the death rate really low.

They, along with South Korea, Australia, Singapore and New Zealand are the countries that stand out to me as having coped best, lessons to be learned from them all I think. Oh, and North Korea of course, for having no cases at all o_O

My daughter's husband normally does the weekly shopping. She noticed that he overspent twice. She decided to take charge, did the shopping, and spent more than her husband. Prices went up.

Protect the pets! They might be secretly keeping us sane during weeks of isolation.
I shop mostly at Aldi and the meat and food prices are the same as 4 months ago. However toothpaste, soap, deodorant, OTC meds and detergent have almost doubled in price.

I am wondering how many airlines will go bankrupt.

Keeping the middle seat free isn’t going to reassure the majority of people.

I know for a fact if I’m gonna catch a bug it’s going to be on a plane as they are germ ridden. So now we have a pandemic and even with the middle seat free look at how close the person is behind you and in front of you all breathing in the same air. I think a lot of people are just not going to fly for the foreseeable future until we get a vaccine.

The airlines we fly have pretty good disinfection/cleaning records (at least on this side of the ocean, as the planes are spot inspected, my brother is a pilot on LA to Tokyo - he says Tokyo is even more strict than California is). I think increased filtration (most modern jetliners have hepa filtration).

Things You Didn't Know About In-flight Air Quality

We haven't seen a spate of sick pilots and attendants (yet). But I do get your trepidation. After going to the harbor today, and seeing so many people across the street at the beach (no masks), I'm thinking about half of people will be okay with the one seat empty. And of course it will be mandatory masks - but after wearing mine for about an hour today, I am really over wearing an N95. I'd have to settle for a cloth mask - which brings the anxiety about flying a bit higher.

If only half of us fly, it's gonna be the rich half for sure

In response to the Honduras link - don't know where it is - I think these people have a good argument to keep plague corpses out of their community. It is common sense, yet it sounds like they are going to be educated and forced to accept diseased corpses.

"They came to bury a corpse on Sunday, they came with all the security measures but if the relatives come to buy from a grocery store they will infect us," a local community activist told Channel 3 television.

Deputy Health Minister Roberto Cosenza said such incidents were becoming increasingly common.

In several parts of Honduras, local residents have joined forces "to prevent funeral corteges passing through communities and the relative has to try to find a place to bury the body," Cosenza said.

In some instances, relatives were refusing to accept the corpses of virus victims from morgues, even though they are wrapped in plastic, "and the health service has to go to the cemeteries to bury them."
Hondurans block highway to prevent COVID-19 burials - France 24
Corpses aren't infectious so is it the mourners who they are worried about?

Corpses aren't infectious so is it the mourners who they are worried about?

I'm not convinced that so many bodies taken away in refrigerator trucks, sometimes piled in a heap, is unrelated to the virus. Mandatory cremations in many places, like China, suggests that the virus survives in a corpse for some period of time.

Germany has done brilliantly, but it's not really that they contained it (their case rate is similar to that of France) but they've kept the death rate really low.

They, along with South Korea, Australia, Singapore and New Zealand are the countries that stand out to me as having coped best, lessons to be learned from them all I think. Oh, and North Korea of course, for having no cases at all o_O
i agree, people need to swallow the world war pride as we have a lot to learn from Germany's handling of this

Clothing shops are not a necessity, but they employ people and are anchors at shopping centers. I agree with our curiosity - will shopping as a pastime cease?

Who wants to handle merchandise that others have been handling?

jmo

IIRC, the virus doesn't live long on porous items like fabric. Personally, I still prefer to shop for clothing and shoes in person. Sizes and quality online are so unpredictable, as is delivery. Some clothing I ordered online took over a month to arrive, then was the wrong size and very cheaply made. Even some well known brands like Ralph Lauren, etc. have become low-quality, not sure if that's just the items sold online.

IIRC, the virus doesn't live long on porous items like fabric. Personally, I still prefer to shop for clothing and shoes in person. Sizes and quality online are so unpredictable, as is delivery. Some clothing I ordered online took over a month to arrive, then was the wrong size and very cheaply made. Even some well known brands like Ralph Lauren, etc. have become low-quality, not sure if that's just the items sold online.
I've been ordering almost all of my clothing on-line. Different brands have different sizing (even if it's the same on the label), so you have to know your brands. Shoes I still like to buy in person, but I don't need to buy any right now.

I'm not thinking home made clothing, I'm referring to distributions and shops. I suppose 3rd world countries do not give clothing manufacturing employees the option of missing work, so clothing distribution in first world countries will continue as always - providing consumers aren't touching the merchandise before there is a sale - for now.
I thought you meant custom-made clothing - where you pick out a style and fabric, provide measurements. I'd like to keep the work in the USA, but we don't have the skilled work force in enough numbers....and American consumers won't pay the cost for that, imo.

Maybe home ec and sewing will become popular again.

I heard coverage about retail clothing that anything clothing returned will have to sit in for 2 weeks before being offered for sale again. Honestly, the more I think about clothes shopping, the more I want to stay away.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member