Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think part of the costs they’re not willing to cover is the transportation of these crew members from the ship to wherever they are mandated to go for quarantine after disembarking. Each country seems to have their own rules in place, crew not allowed in airport or bus terminals, must take forms of transportation that would not risk the general population.

Canada sent down charter flights to pick up their people, but the ships weren't allowed to come into port. Boo.

Thank you Cody. I just had a new grandbaby on Thursday. I'm hoping to meet her today on Zoom. But I so very much wish I could hold her, cradle her wee head in my hand, and smell her sweet newness.

For some weird reason, I find the protest in Victoria more disturbing than those in the US. I guess it pulls the rug out on my idealistic dream that there are no covidiots in Australia.

Maybe we could use some of those cruise ships to house these folks who brazenly put others at risk. And they did it right under the sign that reads, "Thank you to all of Victoria's front line workers". Sheesh!
I can understand why people want to open. Especially when there are very few cases in their areas.

Australia has only had 97 deaths, their rate is only 4 deaths per million so I can see their point.

Here is another link because I could not open the other one. This says that Victoria has 18 deaths to date.

Victoria's coronavirus blitz tests 150k people as protesters arrested for breaching restrictions - ABC News

Despite criticism from Federal Government MPs and the State Opposition, the Victorian Government has stuck with its original plan to reveal new rules on Monday, the day the current State of Emergency comes to an end.

Officials are using data from the massive statewide testing blitz to decide how and when to ease restrictions.

Coronavirus update: Follow all the latest news in our daily wrap.
There were 10 new coronavirus cases diagnosed since yesterday, taking the state's total to 1,487 cases.

One case is from the growing coronavirus cluster linked to the Cedar Meats Australia in Melbourne's west, taking the total number of cases connected to the abattoir to 76.

Download the ABC News app and subscribe to our range of news alerts for the latest on how the pandemic is impacting the world
One returned traveller in hotel quarantine tested positive for COVID-19, and eight cases are under investigation.

Victoria has recorded a double-digit increase in cases every day for the past week — including 22 cases announced on Monday — in part due to the Cedar Meats cluster.

New South Wales and Victoria have had the largest number of positive cases to date, which Ms Mikakos said was also a result of overseas travel.

"I think that's reflective of the fact we are the two most populated states, also the states that receive the most overseas travellers," she said.

'Disappointing' protesters gathered in defiance of physical-distancing rules
Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.

12232732-16x9-xlarge.jpg

Protesters converge on the Victorian Parliament to protest against the state's social-distancing restrictions
Victoria Police arrested 10 people when a crowd of about 100 protesters ignored coronavirus physical-distancing restrictions to stage a demonstration on the steps of State Parliament.

There was a strong police presence, with protesters shouting "no lockdown" and carrying signs saying "fight for your freedom and rights".

Some of the protesters were demonstrating against vaccinations and the 5G mobile network, both of which have taken hold in some conspiracy theory groups.

Vic COVID-19 snapshot
  • Confirmed cases so far: 1,487
  • Deaths: 18
  • Suspected cases of community transmission: 157
  • Cases in hospital: 7
  • Intensive care patients: 5
  • Recovered patients: 1,346
  • Tests in past fortnight: More than 154,000

Last edited:
Sweden numbers
Cases 25,921
Deaths 3,220
Deaths per million pop 319

These figures are way below UK, Italy, Spain and France so what are we doing wrong?
It's kind of deceiving. First, the 319 deaths per million of their population is nothing to brag about, much higher than USA. And while the stated 25,921 cases is 2,567 per one million of their population at that point, they had only done testing on 14,704 per one million of their population - in comparison to USA at that time which had done 26,240 tests per million and the other 3 mentioned countries which had done many more than that. Therefore it seems that if Sweden were actually keeping up with testing more of their population, they might find they have/had a much higher number of cases than what they are showing. I don't think Sweden is out of the woods yet either. imo.

It's kind of deceiving. First, the 319 deaths per million of their population is nothing to brag about, much higher than USA. And while the stated 25,921 cases is 2,567 per one million of their population at that point, they had only done testing on 14,704 per one million of their population - in comparison to USA at that time which had done 26,240 tests per million and the other 3 mentioned countries which had done many more than that. Therefore it seems that if Sweden were actually keeping up with testing more of their population, they might find they have/had a much higher number of cases than what they are showing. I don't think Sweden is out of the woods yet either. imo.
IMO you need to compare them with the countries I mentioned who have all been on extended lockdowns and have had much worse results and more deaths per million than Sweden. That's my point. Not everywhere in the US has been on lockdown so it is hard to compare.

With the much-heralded Rutgers University saliva test for the coronavirusgarnering the Food and Drug Administration’s blessing late Thursday, people can now collect their own test samples at home and send them out to be processed.

The FDA approved an amended emergency use authorization for Rutgers’ RUCDR Infinite Biologics that allows the expansion of the saliva tests well beyond official collection locations that have been located throughout the state.
5 things to know about the home coronavirus saliva test developed at Rutgers

Coronavirus: First details of govt's revised COVID-19 rules revealed by PM

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson reveals new advice to stay at home 'as much as possible' amid backlash

Boris Johnson has revealed the first details of the government's revised coronavirus rules.

The longstanding official guidance to "stay at home, save lives, protect the NHS" has been amended to "stay alert, control the virus, save lives".

The government's guidance is now:

• Stay at home as much as possible
  • Work at home if you can
  • Limit contact with other people
  • Keep your distance if you go out (2 metres apart where possible)
  • Wash your hands regularly
  • If you or anyone in your household has symptoms, you all need to self-isolate

IMO you need to compare them with the countries I mentioned who have all been on extended lockdowns and have had much worse results and more deaths per million than Sweden. That's my point. Not everywhere in the US has been on lockdown so it is hard to compare.
When you ask, "These figures are way below UK, Italy, Spain and France so what are we doing wrong?" - who are you referring to, as 'we'?

I bet Dr. Seheult will be covering this when published. From link..

The main finding of this study is that after adjusting for the timing of zinc therapy, we found that the addition of zinc sulfate to hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin was found to associate with a decrease in mortality or transition to hospice among patients who did not require ICU level of care, but this association was not significant in patients who were treated in the ICU.

This result may be reflective of the proposed mechanism of action of zinc sulfate in COVID-19. Zinc has been shown to reduce SARS-CoV RNA dependent RNA polymerase activity in vitro [13]. As such, zinc may have a role in preventing the virus from progressing to severe disease, but once the aberrant production of systemic immune mediators is initiated, known as the cytokine storm, the addition of zinc may no longer be effective [17].

Our findings suggest a potential therapeutic synergistic mechanism of zinc sulfate with hydroxychloroquine, if used early on in presentation with COVID-19. However, our findings do not suggest a prophylactic benefit of zinc sulfate in the absence of a zinc ionophore, despite interest in this therapy for prevention. A prophylactic strategy of zinc sulfate should be evaluated to help answer this question.

Dr. Campbell is now addressing and critiquing the hydroxychloroquine article we have talked about on the thread from NEJM, but unfortunately hasn't gotten to the one with Zinc as an iodophore that you referred to.

Hopefully/I guess he or Dr. Sehult will do later once published and after it is peer reviewed (which hasn't been done to date, but expect will happen in the next week)?

Last edited:
Yesterday, my older son drove me out to his property so I could get out of the house. He bought two acres last year out in ranch territory about thirty minutes away from here. He’s still working on the well for water while rebuilding his house and clearing his land. As we drove and I’m looking out the window, I see miles and miles of green pastures and wide open ranch land with magnificent horses. Next to his land is a large ranch with over a hundred head of Buffalo and eight hundred head of Black Angus cattle. Oklahoma prides ourselves as home of the Cattlemen’s Steak. No matter what our personal feelings of nutrition based eating, systems of food delivery, or animal rights assertions - this article represents a reality for these ranchers. I don’t think Texas and Oklahoma are the only states with cattle ranches and meat packing industries as essential commodities driving their economy.

Snips of linked article:
Texas leads the nation in the number of farms and ranches, with 248,416 farms and ranches covering 127 million acres. Cattle is one of the state’s top commodities valued at $12.3 billion and accounts for more than half of the state’s agricultural market, according to 2017 data from the Texas Department of Agriculture.

But this year, ranchers and farmers could lose up to $8 billion due to the coronavirus, according to a report released Thursday by Texas A&M University.

U.S. meat and poultry processing plants have been among the hardest hit by the coronavirus. At least 20 workers have died and 4,913 employees in 115 plants have tested positive in 19 states, according to the latest Center for Disease Control and Prevention numbers.

Operations have ceased in dozens of meatpacking plants for at least a day but some have stayed closed for weeks. All major U.S. meat processors, including Tyson, Cargill, Smithfield and JBS, have reported outbreaks in plants.

These closures have caused a 30% decrease in production and a glut of livestock, according to Joe Harris, president of the Southwest Meat Association based in Bryan. Harris sees the meat industry as a big hourglass with retailers and consumers at the bottom, ranchers and their cattle on top and meatpacking plants in the center.
Cattle industry losses related to the coronavirus are estimated at $13.6 billion nationwide, according to a recent study by Oklahoma State University, paid for by the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association

“This study confirms that cattle producers have suffered massive economic damage as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak and those losses will continue to mount for years to come, driving many producers to the brink of collapse and beyond if relief funds aren’t made available soon,” association CEO Colin Woodall said in an April 14 press release.

The $23 billion allocated to farmers and ranchers by Congress through the coronavirus relief act in March was a good first step, but there’s still a massive need for more funding as soon as possible, the association said.

Three days after Woodall’s statement, the USDA announced a new food assistance program prompted by Trump that allocates an additional $19 billion in immediate relief for farmers and ranchers.

When Congress resumes Monday, lawmakers including Vela will ask for an emergency hearing to address the needs of workers and ranchers in the meat industry. Congress will also be deciding if companies can be held legally responsible if someone gets sick.
Many Texas ranchers won’t survive multibillion-dollar financial hit from coronavirus

Last edited:
Coronavirus: First details of govt's revised COVID-19 rules revealed by PM

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson reveals new advice to stay at home 'as much as possible' amid backlash

Boris Johnson has revealed the first details of the government's revised coronavirus rules.

The longstanding official guidance to "stay at home, save lives, protect the NHS" has been amended to "stay alert, control the virus, save lives".

The government's guidance is now:

• Stay at home as much as possible
  • Work at home if you can
  • Limit contact with other people
  • Keep your distance if you go out (2 metres apart where possible)
  • Wash your hands regularly
  • If you or anyone in your household has symptoms, you all need to self-isolate
After he almost died from covid, he apparently gets it.

How is lockdown being lifted across Europe?

Coronavirus: How lockdown is being lifted across Europe

10 May 2020

After almost seven weeks of lockdown in the UK, Prime Minister Boris Johnson is set to announce the next phase of the country's response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Across Europe, people are already seeing an easing of lockdown measures, as businesses reopen and children start going back to school. Here is how Europeans are emerging from life under lockdown.

Germany: Shops reopen and football resumes. Bayern Munich are among a number of Bundesliga clubs to have recently returned to training

Germany has begun opening up and control of lifting the lockdown will now be in the hands of Germany's 16 federal states. But Chancellor Angela Merkel has stressed that an ''emergency brake'' will be applied anywhere that sees a surge in new infections.

Shops of all sizes are now allowed to reopen, with extra hygiene and social distancing measuresShops smaller than 800 m2 have been allowed to open since 20 April, alongside car dealerships, bicycle shops and bookshopsSchools have been partially reopened for young children and those taking exams. All other classes will return gradually throughout the summer termBundesliga football matches resume behind closed doors on Saturday 16 May - the first big European league to do soTwo different households are now allowed to meet up with each otherBig public events like festivals are banneduntil at least the end of AugustGermany says football can resume and shops reopen

France: End to travel restrictions.
Residents in France will no longer have to provide travel certificates from 11 May

France's strict lockdown was imposed on 17 March and residents were required to provide a travel permit justifying any trips outside. From 11 May, those restrictions will be eased and after three weeks the situation will be reviewed.

Residents will no longer have to providetravel certificates , and car journeys within a radius of up to 100km (62 miles) from home will be permitted. Longer trips will require a certificate and during the rush-hour in Paris you will still need your employer's authorisation or a compelling reason to travelFrance will be split in two, with four "red zones" including Paris keeping parks, gardens and schools for 11 to 18-year-olds shutPrimary schools and nurseries will start to reopen from 11 May, while schools for 11 to 15 year-olds (collèges) in "green zones" open on 18 May. A limit of 15 pupils will be put on classrooms and masks will be compulsory for older children. Schools for 15 to 18-year-olds (lycées) are not opening before JuneAll shops (bar Paris shopping centres) will be able to reopen; leisure centres and cemeteries can reopen but bars and restaurants will remain closedGatherings of fewer than 10 people will also be permitted; the elderly and vulnerable will be allowed out but must use common senseLockdown bites poor as France eases gripIreland: Five steps and small summer weddingsImage copyrightREUTERSImage captionIreland is introducing a five-stage plan to re-open the country

Ireland has had a stricter lockdown than the UK, with residents only allowed to exercise within 2km (1.2 miles) of their homes. But a five-stage roadmap to re-open the country starts on 18 May, with restrictions eased every three weeks.

Schools will remain shut until September, while outdoor workers such as construction workers and gardeners will be allowed to resume activities from May 18Creches and nurseries will open for the children of essential workers from 29 June, and this will be extended to the children of other workers from 20 July. Childcare workers will be sent to the homes of 5,000 essential workers from 18 MaySocial visits will be permitted to other households from 8 June, and from 29 June, people will be allowed to travel within a 20km radius of their homesWeddings, baptisms and small social gatherings will be allowed from 20 July, but only for family and close friendsShops selling non-essential items can open from 8 June if the number of staff and customers remain small, and larger premises can open from 29 June

Belgium:

Restrictions are slowly being lifted in a country that has seen a high number of deaths in care homes. "We will have to resume our social life very gradually," said Prime Minister Sophie Wilmès as she detailed Belgium's exit road-map.

As of 10 May, people living in the same household are being allowed to receive visitsfrom a group of up to four people. But these people will not be allowed to visit anywhere elseFabric shops reopened on 4 May, as new regulations require all Belgians aged 12 or over to wear masks on public transportOther shops reopen from 11 May subject to strict adherence to social distancing guidelinesSchools will resume classes from 18 May, but no more than 10 children will be allowed in each classroomCafes and restaurants will start to open from 8 JuneWhy so many people are dying in Belgium

Netherlands:

Dutch hairdressers will now be allowed to resume work

The Netherlands imposed a far less strict lockdown than its southern neighbour. Prime Minister Mark Rutte has unveiled a five-phase plan for easing lockdown restrictions that kicks in from 11 May.

Libraries will open to visitors andhairdressers, nail bars, beauticians, masseuses and occupational therapists will be able to go back to work from 11 May. Primary schools will also partially reopenBars and restaurants will be able to open their outdoor spaces to customers from 1 June; secondary schools will also reopenPublic transport services will resume pre-lockdown schedules, provided travellers wear face-masksCampsites and holiday parks can reopen from 1 July, as can theatres, restaurants and cinemas with up to 100 customers with social distancingLarger events and contact sports may resume in September, along with sex clubs and saunas

Austria: Tourist attractions to reopenImage copyrightREUTERSImage captionOutdoor sport that can be socially distanced such as tennis is now allowed in Austria

Austria was one of the first countries to ease its lockdown. The health minister says the reopening of small shops in the middle of April hasn't caused a spike in cases, with new infections increasing by just 0.2%. But he said May would be the "decisive month".

Larger shops, shopping centres and hairdressers reopened in early MayPublic parks, small shops, DIY stores and garden centres have been allowed to open since 14 AprilOutdoor sport that can be socially distanced, such as tennis, golf and athletics is now allowedGatherings of up to 10 people have been allowed since the start of MayRestaurants and cafes will open from the mid-May, while hotels, zoos, swimming pools and tourist attractions will open from the end of the monthPupils in their final year of school returned to classes at the beginning of May. Other years will start returning from the middle of the month

Denmark:

Restrictions eased since mid-April

Denmark started to roll back lockdown measures earlier than some other nations

Denmark, one of the first European countries to announce a lockdown, started to roll back measures in mid-April and is moving ahead with the second phase of its road map.

Day care centres and primary schoolsreturned on 14 April, although parents and visitors are not allowed on school premises and children arrive and leave school at different times. Childrenaged 12-16 will return from 18 May, as will exam studentsHairdressers, beauty and massage salons, optometrists, podiatrists and chiropractors reopened on 20 AprilProfessional sport is allowed behind closed doors, along with amateur sport under guidelinesShopping centres, cafes and restaurants are due to reopen on 11 May with social distancing guidelinesSocial gatherings are limited to 10 peopleBorders remain shutPhase 3 starts on 8 June and covers museums, cinemas, zoos, indoor sports and collegesPhase 4 in early August will include gyms, swimming pools and nightclubs

Spain: Schools to remain shut until September

Spain outlined a four-stage plan on 4 May to start rolling back one of the strictest lockdowns in Europe, which saw children under 14 confined to their homes for six weeks. Restrictions will be eased in two week blocks until 10 June, subject to review if cases spike.

Schools will be partially reopened from 26 May. This will allow for revision classes and state exams but a full reopening is not expected until SeptemberFrom 11 May, customers can order a beer in a terrace bar but bars and restaurants will not fully reopen until 10 June, adhering to strict social distancing guidelines and only at 50% capacityCinemas, theatres and exhibitions will be allowed to open from 26 May, but will only be allowed to operate at 30% capacity. Outdoor concerts of up to 400 people will be permitted if concert-goers remain at a safe distance from each otherChurches and mosques will be allowed to reopen from 11 May, but only at partial capacity

Media captionThe lockdown has eased in Spain, but there are still time restrictions on when people can be outdoors

Italy: Funeral gatherings now permitted

Italy imposed a strict and lengthy lockdown, with a ban on walking or exercising more than 200m away from home. In early May, some restrictions were relaxed and people are now able to travel for longer distances, as well as visit their relatives in small numbers. Visits to other regions of the country are still banned.

Bars and restaurants, which can offer takeaway services, are expected to fully reopen for dine-in service from 1 JuneHairdressers and beauty salons are due to reopen from 1 JuneMore shops will reopen on 18 May along with museums and librariesSports teams will also be able to hold group training from 18 MayFunerals are now allowed with a maximum of 15 people attending, ideally outdoorsSchools will not reopen until September

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a site that provides deaths per million population for each US state?
Here’s how states, territories, and Washington, DC, compare based on the number of confirmed cases and deaths, and the number of people tested, according to data from the Covid Tracking Project. Using the latest available Census Bureau numbers, we also calculated the number of tests per million people in a population, to give a better sense of a state’s efforts in tracking the disease.
Chart: The coronavirus pandemic, state by state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member