Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"There is a dire and urgent need for development of rapid, accurate wearable diagnostics to identify and isolate pre-symptomatic COVID-19 cases and track/prevent the spread of the virus," said the request for proposals issued this week.

The RFP does not specify where on the body the device should be worn, and companies bidding for the contract were encouraged to make use of existing technology as much as possible.

The military is also working to adapt existing technologies to help fight the virus, such as fitting goggles used in battle to take the temperature of 300 troops in 25 minutes.

The Pentagon is also planning on installing an infrared sensor to measure body temperature when its 20,000 employees return to work.

Earlier this week reporters the Pentagon confirmed it issued a memo saying any positive diagnosis of COVID-19 is "permanently disqualifying" for military service, even if the applicant has fully recovered, but Army Gen. Mark Milley later told reporters the policy outlined in the memo had not been implemented.
Army solicits bids for wearable technology to detect COVID-19

NHS reveals code behind virus-tracing app

NHSX, the health service's digital innovation unit, has opted for a centralised system to power the app, so the contact-matching process happens on a UK-based computer server rather than individuals' smartphones.

_112180954_apps_contact_tracingv4_640-nc-2x-nc.png

And there has been a lot of speculation this decision would mean the app was doomed to work badly on iPhones.

Apple limits the extent to which third-party apps can use Bluetooth when they are off-screen and running in the background, although it has promised to relax this rule for contact-tracing apps that use a decentralised system it is co-developing with Google.

And Singapore and Australia have signalled they will switch from centralised to decentralised apps, for that reason.

But NHSX had said it had come up with its own solution.

And preliminary tests by a cyber-security company suggest it has succeeded.

Pen Test Partners installed the app on a handful of "jailbroken" iPhones - altered to allow them to monitor activity normally hidden from users.

More at link

The PM has tweeted this ahead of today's UK briefing.

Boris Johnson
@BorisJohnson

·
4h

Everyone has a role to play in helping to control the virus by staying alert and following the rules. This is how we can continue to save lives as we start to recover from coronavirus. #StayAlert

Prime minister to launch coronavirus alert system

An alert system to rank the threat level of coronavirus in England is set to be launched by Prime Minister Boris Johnson in his lockdown speech later.

The system, which will use a scale of one to five, is to be a part of the PM's televised address at 19:00 BST.

Mr Johnson will also explain any changes to the lockdown measures.

It comes after the "stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives" slogan was replaced with "stay alert, control the virus, save lives".

The "stay at home" advice will remain in place in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland after leaders in the three devolved nations said Mr Johnson had not consulted them on the new message.

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said the only change being made to lockdown in Scotland was that people would be allowed to exercise more than once a day, from Monday.

The threat level system to be introduced will apply to England only but the government is working with the devolved administrations as they develop their own.

It is understood the system - with alerts ranging from green (level one) to red (level five) - will be adjusted according to data and will be similar to the one used to keep the public informed about the terror threat level.

In his address, Mr Johnson is expected to say England is currently at stage four but moving towards stage three.

More info at link and televised address at 19:00 BST.

Here is an additional link discussing the alert system and including the PM's tweet that I posted at the top.

Minister defends 'stay alert' advice amid backlash

Last edited:
I'm so saddened reading some local remarks about mask wearing. It isn't like it's going to kill you to put a mask on. And stop standing on top of complete strangers.

I'm as annoyed as the next person about some of these rules and regulations. But a mask?

Just be a grownup and wear a mask and give people some room. Maybe we will get our lives back. Ugh.

Jmo

I'm so saddened reading some local remarks about mask wearing. It isn't like it's going to kill you to put a mask on. And stop standing on top of complete strangers.

I'm as annoyed as the next person about some of these rules and regulations. But a mask?

Just be a grownup and wear a mask and give people some room. Maybe we will get our lives back. Ugh.

Jmo

It surprises me, how mask wearing seems to be "hit and miss" here. But the new norm of "six feet of social distance" is perfect for me. This is the perfect amount of personal space. Finally government sanctioned.

After he almost died from covid, he apparently gets it.
Not really tho IMO. This is a reverse step for us. These measures were in place before lock down, first three weeks in March more or less. Then bam, numbers started exploding by the end of March.

Currently we are in full lock down. So now this takes us back to the pre lock down stage in terms of measures.

I'm not feeling comfortable with this at all. I think full lock down should continue through May.

Leakage in the press has led to covidiots thinking its ok to go out to parks and hold bbqs etc. We'll have carnage if they loosen regs too soon. People are far too complacent.

I understand the need to get the economy restarted but not yet. And not like this. JMO.

Anxiously awaiting the official news at 7pm here.

Last edited:
An ice cream van has just driven up and down our road, tinkling along merrily. An immediate flood of children ran outside to queue up. I wouldn’t have thought it would be easy to sell ices whilst maintaining social distance, but what do I know. :eek:
I am feeling as uneasy as I did before the lockdown was announced. Too many people out and about, acting like it’s all over. The second wave is going to be horrendous.
Not making this a political post but I wish Nicola Sturgeon was our PM. She appears to be open, empathetic and treats people like adults. She also knows to treat this virus as a deadly enemy, one that is still a serious danger. Her comments this afternoon on our new slogan ‘Stay Alert’ are spot on.

A birthday party was behind a cluster of coronavirus cases in Pasadena, California, according to health officials.

A "large number" of extended family members and friends were at the party, the Pasadena Public Health Department said in a news release, adding the event took place after the city issued a stay-at-home order in March.

One patient at the party was coughing and not wearing a face covering, health officials said, and other party guests were also not covering their face or social distancing.

A cluster of coronavirus cases in California was traced to a coughing patient at a birthday party

Jmo

I won't wear a mask, and I'm a grown up. Just sayin'. We can disagree without insulting, I hope.

I'm so sorry LadyL. Prayers of comfort for you.

LadyL, I also wanted to express my heartfelt thoughts at this time. I am so so sorry for your loss. I'm mostly just reading along here lately but I know your father and his illness has been a conversation you have discussed on several occasions. XOXO I hope you have peace.
jmo

We can't tolerate this. No way, no how.
This is really interesting....the national message is all is well....go forth with your life.

The question is "why on 5/1/20 was a bill introduced with this content? "
IMO.......Someone is watching the same extreme models like the Stanford University model and see the horrible possibilities...

Extended Results COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member