Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it was in UK in December.

The strange case of the choir that coughed in January

Jane Hall is a member of two choirs - the Voices of Yorkshire choir and the All Together Now Community Choir - and she says that Covid-like symptoms affected members of both, starting in early January.

Among the first singers to get ill was the partner of a man who returned from a business trip to Wuhan on 17 or 18 December and developed a hacking cough.

_112204338_jane_suzanne976650.jpg
Image copyrightSUE MITCHELL
Image captionSuzanne Smith: "This was before Covid-19 was widely talked about"
"My friend from the choir became ill mid-January. Then my best friend, Christine, became ill, and then I became ill in the first weekend of February," Jane said.

She went on to describe her symptoms.

"I had a throat that felt like I had swallowed broken glass, a high temperature, headaches... I was totally fatigued - I slept for two whole days which was totally unlike me. I had a high temperature and a dry unproductive cough."

With the passing of time, a new symptom emerged.

"It was like breathing through treacle - I was really struggling to breathe and it felt like there was a lot of gunk I was trying to breathe through."

More at link

This is really interesting....the national message is all is well....go forth with your life.

The question is "why on 5/1/20 was a bill introduced with this content? "
IMO.......Someone is watching the same extreme models like the Stanford University model and see the horrible possibilities...

Extended Results COVID-19

More likely, it's about the money from the grant, imo.

An ice cream van has just driven up and down our road, tinkling along merrily. An immediate flood of children ran outside to queue up. I wouldn’t have thought it would be easy to sell ices whilst maintaining social distance, but what do I know. :eek:
I am feeling as uneasy as I did before the lockdown was announced. Too many people out and about, acting like it’s all over. The second wave is going to be horrendous.
Not making this a political post but I wish Nicola Sturgeon was our PM. She appears to be open, empathetic and treats people like adults. She also knows to treat this virus as a deadly enemy, one that is still a serious danger. Her comments this afternoon on our new slogan ‘Stay Alert’ are spot on.

If the parents prompt them, they can line up safely. Otherwise, probably not. Jmo

I won't wear a mask, and I'm a grown up. Just sayin'. We can disagree without insulting, I hope.

I'm annoyed at my local crowd. If you've figured out we're both in the same area, I do apologize for insulting you.

May I ask why you don't like wearing a mask? I promise I won't call you names. :)

Looks like it was in UK in December.

The strange case of the choir that coughed in January

Jane Hall is a member of two choirs - the Voices of Yorkshire choir and the All Together Now Community Choir - and she says that Covid-like symptoms affected members of both, starting in early January.

Among the first singers to get ill was the partner of a man who returned from a business trip to Wuhan on 17 or 18 December and developed a hacking cough.

_112204338_jane_suzanne976650.jpg
Image copyrightSUE MITCHELL
Image captionSuzanne Smith: "This was before Covid-19 was widely talked about"
"My friend from the choir became ill mid-January. Then my best friend, Christine, became ill, and then I became ill in the first weekend of February," Jane said.

She went on to describe her symptoms.

"I had a throat that felt like I had swallowed broken glass, a high temperature, headaches... I was totally fatigued - I slept for two whole days which was totally unlike me. I had a high temperature and a dry unproductive cough."

With the passing of time, a new symptom emerged.

"It was like breathing through treacle - I was really struggling to breathe and it felt like there was a lot of gunk I was trying to breathe through."

More at link

I think it was in the US, too. I'd bet a million dollars it went through my office starting in December. Everyone was sick with exactly the same symptoms -- and that COUGH! omg

I know I posted this early in but in case anyone missed it. If you are wearing a mask at work etc. and have to take it off to travel, eat etc. keep a tupperware container with you. Drill holes in the lid. Remove mask by strings and lay it in tupperware without touching it. Leave the strings on the outside and snap lid on. If you need to put it back on take off lid and put it on by the strings. Great way to travel home with it as well. Simply toss it in your washer by the strings and wash tupperware in hot soapy water or disinfect.

I'm annoyed at my local crowd. If you've figured out we're both in the same area, I do apologize for insulting you.

May I ask why you don't like wearing a mask? I promise I won't call you names. :)

Yesterday was my first day of full mask wearing for 8 hours. I couldn't stand it. It was hot, suffocating, my glasses fogged up, I poked my eye when taking the mask off. My chin was sweaty. I felt like the mask was soggy after 30 minutes.

Day One, of the rest of my life.

I am committed to learning how to make masks now. To be able to change more frequently. And find one I like better.

Seriously? They haven't heard about multiple meat processing plants where a huge number of people got infected? Yea, most people in New York that recently ended up in the hospital were staying home from work. Which isn't the same as "workers no more likely to get ill." And in New York, most people live in huge apartment buildings. Who knows how they are getting exposed. Even if you are leaving your apartment just to get mail, you are getting exposed in an elevator, the mailbox, etc.

I don't know whether we're near each other. I thought you were just making a general statement.

I won't wear a mask for a lot of different reasons. First, I don't think it is necessary or helps. Especially the homemade masks lots of people are wearing. Which leads to the second reason, which is that I don't like the idea of being forced to do something by the govt for no good reason (or even for a pretty good reason, in most cases lol). The third reason is similar, and it's that I won't be shamed into doing something because other people have decided it's what I should be doing, if I disagree with them. Fourth, I don't tolerate breathing behind a mask very well. I don't like the feel of it and it's very inconvenient in a lot of situations. And last, I'm not afraid of catching this at all. I just mentioned elsewhere, I'm pretty sure I've already had it and it was no big deal for me. To be clear, I'm not trying to tell those who are fearful and/or vulnerable what to do.

You asked! lol Thanks for not calling names :)

(I know you weren't asking me but anyway) One of the reasons I won't wear a mask unless it is mandated is that I have seen no evidence it works for the gen pop as we are continually touching and fiddling with it therefore infecting it with our hands. I think the full PPE for health service employees who are in the front line dealing with infected patients is a priority however.

As I said before I would consider wearing a face shield if it was an alternative, because it protects the eyes too and can easily be washed.

It surprises me, how mask wearing seems to be "hit and miss" here. But the new norm of "six feet of social distance" is perfect for me. This is the perfect amount of personal space. Finally government sanctioned.

I'd be so happy if only all people would actually abide by the 6 ft rule. Only the mask wearers in my area seem to be staying 6 ft away. The people who are not wearing masks come right up to me in a store and I end up having to move quickly away after they come within inches of me. I have to use my cart to keep physical distance between me and the person behind me in a checkout line. I want to wear a big sign that says "STAY BACK 6 FT", but it probably wouldn't help. Sometimes I wonder if the non mask wearers are really oblivious to what is going on or if they get some sort of sick satisfaction in torturing the people wearing masks. Apparently they don't understand they could be actively spreading Covid19 and thereby killing people by their irresponsible actions. Or maybe they do know and don't care? Every time I leave the house I vow to stay home longer, but the longest I can go between grocery visits is 2 weeks. *sigh* :rolleyes::(

Yesterday was my first day of full mask wearing for 8 hours. I couldn't stand it. It was hot, suffocating, my glasses fogged up, I poked my eye when taking the mask off. My chin was sweaty. I felt like the mask was soggy after 30 minutes.

I am committed to learning how to make masks now. To be able to change more frequently. And find one I like better.
Yea, it's really difficult to wear mask full time. Valved masks are a lot easier to wear because it allows you to exhale air without filtering it. But it offers protection to you (if it's N95), not so much to people around you. But that's what I plan to wear if I go to work. Because I can actually breathe in it, and that's the only kind I managed to buy so far in N95 form. I guess in a crowd situation you can put a cloth mask over your N95 valved mask, to protect the crowd (assuming you can breathe trough double mask).

Last edited:
I don't know whether we're near each other. I thought you were just making a general statement.

I won't wear a mask for a lot of different reasons. First, I don't think it is necessary or helps. Especially the homemade masks lots of people are wearing. Which leads to the second reason, which is that I don't like the idea of being forced to do something by the govt for no good reason (or even for a pretty good reason, in most cases lol). The third reason is similar, and it's that I won't be shamed into doing something because other people have decided it's what I should be doing, if I disagree with them. Fourth, I don't tolerate breathing behind a mask very well. I don't like the feel of it and it's very inconvenient in a lot of situations. And last, I'm not afraid of catching this at all. I just mentioned elsewhere, I'm pretty sure I've already had it and it was no big deal for me. To be clear, I'm not trying to tell those who are fearful and/or vulnerable what to do.

You asked! lol Thanks for not calling names :)
Well, I am definitely going to wear a mask. And I ordered me some swim goggles. I am in a very high risk category.

San Francisco is ordering everyone to wear masks in public, with violators subject to possible fines or jail time

Different places are managing mask wearing differently. I am not fond of people getting tickets, fines, or jail for not wearing a mask. That is scary to me, and a huge slippery slope to "policing garments". Not liking that connotation. Que "Handmaid's Tale".

I may wear a mask, but I wouldn't support forcing anyone to wear a mask in public.
I actually don't have a problem with requiring masks. But it isn't happening where I live. So I got to think of protecting myself.

If your glasses are fogging up, then the mask is not properly fitted to your face. There should not be any gaps at the top for the air to escape and fog up your glasses. You need to adjust how you are wearing it or try a different mask (as you already figured out). I do agree they are very hot after an extended time and I've tried several different kinds. The surgical ones seem to be the coolest temp wise and easiest to breathe through for me but my DH likes the N-95 ones better. Good luck finding one that works well for you.

MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member