Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, thank you! Being able to civilly resolve misunderstandings and discuss both sides of an issue is so vitally important, imo.

Your post made me wonder whether your employer's mandate actually takes your health into account. I would think that breathing your own carbon dioxide for hours at a time is unhealthy for anyone, but breathing it whilst exerting yourself can't be good, imo. Be careful!

I haven't had any issues with CO2. No tiredness, no fainting, nothing like that. I don't think we exhale that much carbon dioxide myself. Considering we don't inhale a lot of oxygen, that part doesn't worry me. :)

I'm aware different masks have different levels of protection but I consider the point of all masks to be mainly to protect others. Having any mask on is better than no mask. Plus, everyone wearing masks alone won't totally help if people don't also stay 6 feet apart. The mask is only one part of the equation. Maybe people in my area don't get that? Maybe they think it's safe to approach me if I have a mask on? Is that why the non-mask people are coming close to me? o_O

That happened to us on our one and only outing. I just don't get it. A woman approached our car as we were trying to get into it, stepped between me and the car to bend down and look at the brand badge on the car (!?) She was just a couple of feet from me, so I had to back up.

I think people truly just revert to their normal behavior OR for some people, CoVid just isn't happening. They don't get it, they don't understand.

I know that if I require a simple thing in my lab, there were ALWAYS be 1-2 who don't/can't do it. I've tried to figure out why and one thing I found in simple memory experiments is that in a group of 30 reasonably literate (able to read at 10th grade level) young adults, they struggle mightily with remembering almost anything at all for even a brief period of time. This group is very very slow at getting things. I've been doing lots of memory experiments in lab ever since. There are ways to get them to improve, but basically they need constant reminders to write things down, cues to go look up what they wrote down, etc.

I think any teacher will tell you the same.

The masks DO help protect you though - depending on what kind. That's how Asia has controlled CoVid - more masks than social distancing. If you're using fabric, find a way to insert a filter (there's a great thread here on WS, as you probably know - @JaneEyre posts some excellent info over there, I'm looking into filters).

And consider adding a face shield. But you're right about the social distancing thing. And right now, in my actual neighborhood, everyone I encounter gets it - but going anywhere else (stores, etc) they don't. My not so much at risk husband has been doing all of that. I know he's going to be very irritated if we do go out and anyone else approach us, he was speechless when that woman approached. I was stern with her, btw, I have been a teacher for 40 years.

I’m not sure what to say when my friends (and even some family members) keep saying “We can’t wait to get together in a few weeks when this is all over”!

What the heck is going to change in 2-3 weeks? My parents will no longer be at risk? I can go out, do whatever I want and not have to worry I’ve brought it back to them?
I can tell the company that terminated my contract that I’m willing to fly 5-6 times a month again to perform my job?

I’m getting a lot of grief over my stance of protecting my elderly and health compromised family members.

Sorry if OT. Caregiving is love and getting flack has made me pissy today. So I’m going to make a drink, take a break and enjoy the beautiful weather with the birds chirping and wind lightly blowing through the trees.

Last edited:
The stores I go in now have the circles on the floor for people to stand on at the checkouts which makes it quite clear where to stand. Mostly everyone is abiding by it. Each time I go back they have made it more clear to customers.

My stores do too but many people are ignoring them. Every time I go out it does seem like more signage has been put up. So maybe more people will start abiding by it by the next time I go out. I have seen an increase in the number of people wearing masks since March, but I attribute that to a huge explosion of cases in my area recently. MOO.

Face shield is not to replace the mask, it's an addition to the mask. If you look at health workers wearing face shields, they also wear a mask. Face shield offers splash protection, but it doesn't seal your face like N95 mask does.

The shield also protects the eyes, which we now know is a major entry point for CoVid. I strongly dislike goggles, and for simple walks around the neighborhood, I believe sunglasses are fine (although I've ordered a cheap larger shield style). If I have to go to the store, I'm wearing my N95 and am considering adding the face shield.

Right now, though, we aren't planning to go to the store for the indefinite future.

I know it's frustrating Mimosa. Yesterday we did a porch visit for Mothers Day early with MIL. She feels she will get a haircut very soon. We have been upset over her neighbour across the street. She comes over and sits 6 ft. away but it is enclosed back porch. Brings her 6 pack and stays a few hrs. Uses her bathroom. We don't even use her bathroom and this gal is a Pharmacy Tech working full time. We keep telling her to tell her walk across the street to your own bathroom!! MIL says I sanitize after she leaves. I wish people would be more considerate of elderly. She doesn't want us saying anything to the neighbour. Sigh.....

My stores do too but many people are ignoring them. Every time I go out it does seem like more signage has been put up. So maybe more people will start abiding by it by the next time I go out. I have seen an increase in the number of people wearing masks since March, but I attribute that to a huge explosion of cases in my area recently. MOO.

In most of California, reopen plans involve having one employee to manage the line and ensure social distancing. We're watching local coverage of the reopening of the giant flower market in Downtown LA. They are limiting how many can go in at a time, but the line isn't too bad and the line manager walks up and down and tells people who are 4 feet apart to move further apart. Masks are required - every single person has one, one guy had his off while standing in line, he was told to put it on. They have regular security as well, but there's a special line manager in an orange vest who is being very effective.

Bus drivers will enforce masks on buses by not allowing people on without them, but truly, the Los Angelenos seem to have gotten the idea and in neighborhoods that are poorer/more disconnected everyone is wearing a mask. The masks vary considerably in quality, but at least people are trying - which we know from Asia helps reduce transmission by as much as 60%.

@LadyL.... so so sorry.. It sounds like it has been a long ordeal for you. Were you, at least, able to be with him, at his side? Or are you farther away from where he was? Whatever happens in these crazy hazy days will be with us forever.... I just hope you have gobs to cherish and remember as days, time passes on...

no one was allowed to visit him in the hospital except bear the end they allowed my Mom in a couple of times
he died overnight so no one was with him and the nurses called when they discovered
thank you, lots of good memories for sure, like when he 'taught' me to drive a tractor sitting on his lap lol

I’m not sure what to say when my friends (and even some family members) keep saying “We can’t wait to get together in a few weeks when this is all over”!

What the heck is going to change in 2-3 weeks? My parents will no longer be at risk? I can go out, do whatever I want and not have to worry I’ve brought it back to them?
I can tell the company that terminated my contract that I’m willing to fly 5-6 times a month again to perform my job?

I’m getting a lot of grief over my stance of protecting my elderly and health compromised family members.

Sorry if OT. Caregiving is love and getting flack has made me pissy today. So I’m going to make a drink, take a break and enjoy the beautiful weather with the birds chirping and wind lightly blowing through the trees.
Unfortunately some people think if state is opening up, that means the virus is gone. When it's not going anywhere. We are nowhere near herd immunity and we don't have a vaccine. As states are opening up, it will become more dangerous, not less. But a lot of people don't seem to get it. They think if it's open, it's safe.

Interesting that meat packing plants around the world are having outbreaks at the same time. Canada also had outbreaks at Canada Post, Purolator and Amazon facilities.

Canada's Premiers have released a phased relaxing of restrictions - the roadmap. Every 10 days more businesses open. If numbers get worse, everything is stepped back.

In Australia, if numbers are small, best to continue to self-isolate until contagious people they can be traced, the infection stopped. Islands have the best advantage in pandemic as long as they protect supply chain.

yikes I didn't know that?
we've been receiving Amazon packages delivered from both Canada Post and Purolator

Life in senior apartments.
My girlfriend's 91 year old mother lives in a nice senior resident facility. Staff greets everyone at the front door. Apartments open from inside, making it ultra-safe. There is a commons area, now completely unused, as well as an unused dining area. The exercise room is closed. The library is closed. At one time there were programs and buses that took residents grocery shopping, dinner, plays, concerts, malls, etc., and there were performers that came to the facility, but that has all stopped. Seniors are encouraged to stay inside their apartment, not congregate, and not leave unless absolutely necessary. There is an outside patio where they can go, wearing a mask, but it's been too chilly. Visitors are only allowed in emergencies. Residents get a nightly meal delivered to their apartment.

My girlfriend phones her mother, but it's not the same, and only staff can access her mother's physical or mental needs. My friend wonders if many residents really understand what's going on with the virus. This has to be such a negative way to spend final years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleleighD70