Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #57

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow. As a result, I spent this past Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday at the local hospital (I am in one of the western suburbs of Chicago; it is very, very busy here - and that hospital is always madness because there are so many people that use it. Well, when I was there the ER was vacant -and dark- they actually had the lights off! As I walked around the hospital I noticed there were almost no patients, and I saw more cleaning crew than I did nurses and doctors. According to their website, they are open for normal business. So why is the hospital a ghost town? I posted this on my Facebook page, and OMG, it turned into a political war. Dems were accusing me of secretly being a Trump supporter, and Repubs saying they were happy I converted to their side. But, neither of these are true; I was merely posting an observation I had, and thought it was extremely odd that such a major hospital would be nearly closed in the middle of a pandemic. So, anyone have any ideas on WHY this would be? (And please, hold the politics - I worked police for Homeland Security for Democratic and Republican Administrations/leaders). Be safe!

Hope that your surgery goes okay.

People who normally go to the ER, are usually people on Medicaid, as there is zero copay for an ER visit. So it is cheaper to go to the ER for your child's earache med than see a doctor. Now, those folks have decided to avoid hospitals all together.

People are not driving, going to the bar, people are mostly staying home. So, not as many car wrecks, no stupid drunks at the ER...

It doesn't surprise me that the ER is shut down.

Yes, people follow rules in a Communist country. Not following them can get you killed. Are you really advocating for the US to become a Communist country? Unbelievable.
No, I'm advocating for people following rules and laws put in place for their safety and the safety of others.

I'm saying that people are being Idiots, and using the fact we do live in a free Democracy, to do whatever the hell they feel like. And I'm saying that anyone comparing how currently successful things may seem in China right now, as they re-open, are impossible here, because we have too many self-centered, narcissistic individuals, for simple conditions like wearing of masks, or testing and tracing, to be successful.

No, I'm advocating for people following rules and laws put in place for their safety and the safety of others.

I'm saying that people are being Idiots, and using the fact we do live in a free Democracy, to do whatever the hell they feel like. And I'm saying that anyone comparing how currently successful things may seem in China right now, as they re-open, are impossible here, because we have too many self-centered, narcissistic individuals, for simple conditions like wearing of masks, or testing and tracing, to be successful.
We have seen idiots throughout this. Why do you think there will be a change when state governors are opening up?

On another issue, my main one, care home deaths, we have this link from UK.

Care home virus deaths 'starting to decline'

A review of death certificates showed there were 2,800 deaths linked to the virus in the most recent week - down 12% on the week before.

It brings the virus death toll in care homes to more than 9,700.

The data also showed that between mid-March and early May more than 50,000 more deaths have been recorded than would be expected during this period.

This is known as excess deaths and is said to be a better measure of the true impact of the epidemic as it measures deaths linked directly to the virus and others associated with the lockdown.
See link for more.

_112239606_optimised-gb_care_home_bars12may-nc.png

As well as the coronavirus deaths, there have been a large number of fatalities happening where the cause is unclear.

One suggestion has been that the lack of testing in care homes has meant the virus has not always been listed on death certificates when it should.

Another article.

How big is the epidemic in care homes?

One more

PM quizzed over 'unexplained' care home deaths

Last edited:
Hope that your surgery goes okay.

People who normally go to the ER, are usually people on Medicaid, as there is zero copay for an ER visit. So it is cheaper to go to the ER for your child's earache med than see a doctor. Now, those folks have decided to avoid hospitals all together.

People are not driving, going to the bar, people are mostly staying home. So, not as many car wrecks, no stupid drunks at the ER...

It doesn't surprise me that the ER is shut down.

Then you have people who are accident prone and "accident" outside of normal doctor hours.

Not that I'm married to one. :D

Then you have people who are accident prone and "accident" outside of normal doctor hours.

Not that I'm married to one. :D

Or that I was a Mother to four of them. Skiing, shut down. Playground, shut down. Football, basketball, baseball, nope.

No wonder the ER is shut down. Every one is at home, doing nothing.

Or that I was a Mother to four of them. Skiing, shut down. Playground, shut down. Football, basketball, baseball, nope.

Lol. The week before last someone face planted on the front porch. That resulted in a nasty cut up goose egg and some other assorted injuries.

Kids . . . (my "kid" is retired).

<modsnip>
In my opinion, this virus will not care about one's politics (obviously).
This is a virus that ALL of us, need to fight against.
Worldwide.
Then we have to find out WHO is playing with Virus warfare and shut them down.
Every single tool, every single country needs to become so pissed off, that there is a rising of anger never seen before.
And yes. That includes ANY Country playing around virus warfare, including my country, the USA.

mornin',
Initially Misinterpreted the statement wrt WHO,
WHO as in individuals, not World Health Organization.
Guess I'm woke but need coffee.

By the way, most states in US are ending lockdown, even though their covid cases are not on the decline. A lot of people seem to think covid is over because lockdown is over, but in reality, covid is basically just beginning. Why people can't figure that out is beyond my understanding. Also, opening up is going to pretty much undo all the effect of lockdowns. The states where cases are truly going down are New York and New Jersey. In TX, covid is going up, so seems even hot humid weather isn't going to stop it.

i really hate to say this but i think some people do not really understand the nature
of a pandemic-- i read so many comments on different sites like "it is just the flu"-
other people seem not to care about people dying from this virus-- they say things like
most people wont even get sick so why should we have to lock down? too many
people are pretending everything can get back to normal-- gathering in crowds
for example----and others see lockdown as violating their civil rights--that is
just absurd IMO-- all that said it seems there has to a balance between health
security and economic security-- finally, i believe if we had better leadership
a lot of these issues would work themselves out --

The long wait culminated beneath the grandstands, where soldiers and volunteers scrambled between idling vehicles and towering pallets of food. Each household received enough fresh food to last a family of four about a week: a 5-pound box of meat, a 10-pound box of fruit, a 20-pound box of vegetables and two gallons of milk.

Coronavirus: Indiana food distribution drives thousands to fairgrounds

'Weird as hell’: the Covid-19 patients who have symptoms for months

See link for full details.

Prof Tim Spector, of King’s College London, estimates that a small but significant number of people are suffering from the “long tail” form of the virus. Spector is head of the research group at King’s College London which has developed the Covid-19 tracker app. This allows anyone who suspects they have the disease to input their symptoms daily; some 3 to 4 million people are currently using it, mostly Britons and Americans.

Spector estimates that about 200,000 of them are reporting symptoms which have lasted for the duration of the study, which is six weeks. There is good clinical data available for patients who end up in hospital. Thus far the government is not collecting information on those in the community with ostensibly “mild” but often debilitating symptoms – a larger group than those in critical care.

It's interesting. The group of colleagues infected at the same time as me (6 of us in total, third week in March), two have asthma. Their symptoms were less severe than the rest of us. All in our 50s, varying degrees of fitness and health.

Also, I was worried about Mr HKP due to his asthma. As he didnt get infected from me, and as my stranger symptoms developed he recognised them in a "flu" he had earlier in March, we now think he most likely had the virus before me. I said before, he commutes to London by train so was high risk to exposure. He was not as ill as I was either.

So based on my experience, I would agree with this.

However - in the UK we still await antibody tests so I should say we cant be 100% clinically certain that we had it (would eat my hat tho, textbook symptoms all round).

I still make sure Mr HKP uses his daily puffer and keeps stocked up ;)

Just glad you've both recovered.
Eat well, sleep well!

HKP, was it the worst 'bug' you ever had?
Did it turn bronchial or respiratory?
Iirc you had the fatigue?

'Weird as hell’: the Covid-19 patients who have symptoms for months

See link for full details.

Prof Tim Spector, of King’s College London, estimates that a small but significant number of people are suffering from the “long tail” form of the virus. Spector is head of the research group at King’s College London which has developed the Covid-19 tracker app. This allows anyone who suspects they have the disease to input their symptoms daily; some 3 to 4 million people are currently using it, mostly Britons and Americans.

Spector estimates that about 200,000 of them are reporting symptoms which have lasted for the duration of the study, which is six weeks. There is good clinical data available for patients who end up in hospital. Thus far the government is not collecting information on those in the community with ostensibly “mild” but often debilitating symptoms – a larger group than those in critical care.

This is one of the most interesting articles I've seen. Thanks! Jmo

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242565281.html

I don't see how cruise lines can be planning new cruises, when they still have 100,000 crew members stuck on the ships.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Must Move Forward. Worry about the consequences later.

The lack of business sense, Astounds me. We've become such narcissists, we think we can get away with anything. Large companies getting bailouts from the bills meant for small businesses. Just because.

Starve everyone else, and build up extreme demand to open back up, and start cruising again. Because, you know, $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

When one of 2 things happens, either people don't rush back onto cruise ships, or some do rush back, and there are inevitably outbreaks, then people will stay away even longer, and the result will be more financial pain.

But that's why these corrupt CEO's get the big bucks. Everyone else gets the shaft, or in this case....everyone else gets the Virus. Yay!

Ha yep. Only took a pandemic to make hospitals/ nursing homes etc “safe” Maybe some of the new normal standards :rolleyes: will be for the best.

I understand where you're coming from, but to be safe at a nursing home without having any visitors is not a life I would want to have.

Which reminds me that I've been trying to keep in touch with a neighbor who went into a home 6 months ago and I have sent her plants to put on her little outdoor area who is in a nursing home. I must remember to call her regularly. Will do so right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beth43china