Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #57

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand where you're coming from, but to be safe at a nursing home without having any visitors is not a life I would want to have.

Which reminds me that I've been trying to keep in touch with a neighbor who went into a home 6 months ago and I have sent her plants to put on her little outdoor area who is in a nursing home. I must remember to call her regularly. Will do so right now
And they have not been safe in nursing and care homes despite not having visitors. They have been failed by many governments, US, UK, Sweden, Italy, France and Spain to name a few.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Must Move Forward. Worry about the consequences later.

The lack of business sense, Astounds me. We've become such narcissists, we think we can get away with anything. Large companies getting bailouts from the bills meant for small businesses. Just because.

Starve everyone else, and build up extreme demand to open back up, and start cruising again. Because, you know, $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

When one of 2 things happens, either people don't rush back onto cruise ships, or some do rush back, and there are inevitably outbreaks, then people will stay away even longer, and the result will be more financial pain.

But that's why these corrupt CEO's get the big bucks. Everyone else gets the shaft, or in this case....everyone else gets the Virus. Yay!

Here’s When You Might Be Able To Take A Cruise Again

All three cruise lines have said they’re offering refunds to passengers whose cruise was canceled, with Norwegian and Royal Caribbean both offering refunds of over 100% if passengers decide to use the refund as credit on a future cruise, rather than taking cash.

Disney Cruise Line said in a statementWednesday that it would be extending its cruise suspension until at least July 27.

KEY BACKGROUND
Cruise ships at U.S. ports are currently under a “no sail order” which was originally enacted by the CDC on March 14 as the coronavirus began its rapid spread across the country.

Details at link

Paul Garner: For 7 weeks I have been through a roller coaster of ill health, extreme emotions, and utter exhaustion - The BMJ

Post viral fatigue vs
"the long tail is not some "post-viral fatigue syndrome" -- it is the disease."

Awful to have symptoms dismissed as manifestations of anxiety.

I had some Of those weird symptoms. One day my heart rate was 170 for about an hour, then just went back to normal for no apparent reason. I checked my bp because I felt my heart flutter and when I had first gone to urgent care my bp was so high they had done an EKG, so I was curious. I think that’s happened more than than one time because I’ve felt the flutter, but haven’t checked my heart rate.

I also had the tingling hands and chalked it up to sleeping in a funny position. Which may actually still be the reason, I guess. Persistent cough, low-grade fever, General malaise, tight chest and then mild symptoms that lasted weeks longer than the cough and fever.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Must Move Forward. Worry about the consequences later.

The lack of business sense, Astounds me. We've become such narcissists, we think we can get away with anything. Large companies getting bailouts from the bills meant for small businesses. Just because.

Starve everyone else, and build up extreme demand to open back up, and start cruising again. Because, you know, $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

When one of 2 things happens, either people don't rush back onto cruise ships, or some do rush back, and there are inevitably outbreaks, then people will stay away even longer, and the result will be more financial pain.

But that's why these corrupt CEO's get the big bucks. Everyone else gets the shaft, or in this case....everyone else gets the Virus. Yay!
I agree. But I will add that I'm also going to have a really hard time mustering any sympathy for anyone who gets on a cruise ship this year.

pFQFvjw.jpg

I haven't posted in a little while now because I was just so consumed with this virus. Everything about it just overtook me so I had to break for a little bit although I've tried to keep up with the postings on this thread.

I still only go to the store, if I must, once every two weeks. Even then, it feels as if I am becoming claustrophobic or something. It bothers me so bad to go inside and know these germs are just floating everywhere even though I do wear my mask and gloves but there are so many who dont! Over a month ago I was talking to someone about how these stores should have the attic fans in the ceilings to keep the air flowing and pulling out all the virus in the air of the stores. I actually do have an attic fan in my home, and it really keeps the air moving when I have it on. I guess that is what made me think of it.

Our parish has had a low number this whole time, four was the max for us until now. Now as Louisiana has moved into phase one (Friday), we are now at twelve. I know that is still low, but I just feel it will get worse now that more things are opening. Maybe they are testing more and that could be why the numbers are increasing, but the number of tests previously have been pretty high. So it isn't like there were no tests being performed.

Anywho, y'all continue to stay safe! I will continue to be a homebody!

Thanks for the update, BHughes.
Can't catch it if you stay at home, so enjoy being a homebody!

I had some Of those weird symptoms. One day my heart rate was 170 for about an hour, then just went back to normal for no apparent reason. I checked my bp because I felt my heart flutter and when I had first gone to urgent care my bp was so high they had done an EKG, so I was curious. I think that’s happened more than than one time because I’ve felt the flutter, but haven’t checked my heart rate.

I also had the tingling hands and chalked it up to sleeping in a funny position. Which may actually still be the reason, I guess. Persistent cough, low-grade fever, General malaise, tight chest and then mild symptoms that lasted weeks longer than the cough and fever.

I had some weird stuff one week. I think I may have it written down, I'll have to look. I chalked it up to stress from my mother (long story). My BP and tachycardia are controlled with meds.

But I had about a 5 day period of nausea, pretty high bp, I was tachy, headaches, intermittent dizziness.

I always have tinnitus but several times it was like a freight train in my head.

It came and went like that.

Jmo

ETA it started March 30 and went away around April 5.

Last edited:
MOO
I want Humanity back!

Per Google definition:
What is the true meaning of humanity?
Humanity is the human race, which includes everyone on Earth. It's also a word for the qualities that make us human, such as the ability to love and have compassion, be creative, and not be a robot or alien. ... When people do bad things, it tests your faith in humanity.

Ironically, this is probably the safest time to have to go to a hospital.

No more random people wandering the hallways.

The ER waiting rooms are no longer functioning as family reunion centers.

Waiting rooms are just a thing of the past now.

No visitors, no excess cooties.

Constant disinfecting.

You get a mask slapped over your face about the second it looks like you'll be legitimately getting past a guarded door.

Jmo

Yeah...i am thinking the same. I cancelled a colonoscopy Mar 18 because I was scared. Was rescheduled for May 15. They cancelled me because still not up and running with elective surgeries. But now I am on an obscure waiting list because they are starting to booking everything that was cancelled. I want to have the test NOW for the exact reasons you have mentioned... but who knows how long I am on hold..........

I had some weird stuff one week. I think I may have it written down, I'll have to look. I chalked it up to stress from my mother (long story). My BP and tachycardia are controlled with meds.

But I had about a 5 day period of nausea, pretty high bp, I was tachy, headaches, intermittent dizziness.

I always have tinnitus but several times it was like a freight train in my head.

It came and went like that.

Jmo

I don’t normally have heart or bp issues. When I got the 170 I was like :eek:

You really have to stay on top of that flutter!! Both A-Fibrilation and A-Flutter can be real problems... need special testing for that, more than an ECG. Are you on warfarin or any med like that?

So, I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow. As a result, I spent this past Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday at the local hospital (I am in one of the western suburbs of Chicago; it is very, very busy here - and that hospital is always madness because there are so many people that use it. Well, when I was there the ER was vacant -and dark- they actually had the lights off! As I walked around the hospital I noticed there were almost no patients, and I saw more cleaning crew than I did nurses and doctors. According to their website, they are open for normal business. So why is the hospital a ghost town? I posted this on my Facebook page, and OMG, it turned into a political war. Dems were accusing me of secretly being a Trump supporter, and Repubs saying they were happy I converted to their side. But, neither of these are true; I was merely posting an observation I had, and thought it was extremely odd that such a major hospital would be nearly closed in the middle of a pandemic. So, anyone have any ideas on WHY this would be? (And please, hold the politics - I worked police for Homeland Security for Democratic and Republican Administrations/leaders). Be safe!

I used to work EMS for a smaller city—however, we’re usually the highest per capita call volume in the US.* I would say that ~95-98% of our 911 calls did not warrant a ambulance ride, and most of those didn’t need an ER visit. Some were excessive repeats (“frequent fliers”). Whether they’re heeding requests from local officials to refrain from going unless a true emergency, or whether they’re too scared to go, I suspect this has a lot to do with it. While I am concerned that this will lead to those that will refrain when they actually need to go, this number probably isn’t as high as some would have you think.

Of course, this is anecdotal, and demographics, population, geography, culture, etc., vary from one locality to another, so this may not reflect what medics experience in other areas (although I suspect they do to varying degrees, barring any reduction programs such as community medics, social workers, etc).

I truly see this as exposing the amount of unnecessary usage when it comes to this area of healthcare. Unfortunately, the solution isn’t as simple as you would think.

*I’ll admit, after confirming with some quick math, I was a teeny bit amused when NYC medics were complaining about their increased call volume. Though still felt sorry for them, as they don’t have the same infrastructure/system we have, that deals with such high demand.

Jmo, moo

You really have to stay on top of that flutter!! Both A-Fibrilation and A-Flutter can be real problems... need special testing for that, more than an ECG. Are you on warfarin or any med like that?
No meds except Synthroid-which I’ve been on for a very long time. I’ll mention it to my PC next time I go in. Hopefully there will be a reliable antibody test by then. Thx

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/austria-coronavirus-alps-ischgl-ski-resort-investigation-lawsuit/2020/05/17/d54fa5fa-93bf-11ea-87a3-22d324235636_story.html
Coronavirus infected après-ski in the Austrian Alps; criminal probe and litigation now follow
ISCHGL, Austria — Barely an hour to the south in Italy, a nationwide lockdown had been imposed as coronavirus patients clogged hospitals and morgues overflowed. But the après-ski bars of the Austrian Alps were still packed with patrons.

Drawn by the famed ski runs that surround the resorts of St. Anton and Ischgl, the late winter crowds included American, German, British, Dutch, Danish and French tourists.

More than 5,000 of them — including 28 from the United States — now are seeking to join a class action that will accuse Austrian authorities of intentionally staying silent about the outbreak in the resort villages. By withholding information, they believe, authorities decided that the euros being spent in local bars and hotels were more important than visitors’ health.

These are fairly recent demographics based on the NY deaths. Less than 4% are under age 45. 75% had underlying health conditions

Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer

Share of deaths With underlying conditions Without underlying conditions Unknown if with underlying cond. Share of deaths
of unknown + w/o cond.
0 - 17years old
0.06%
0.02%
18 - 44years old
3.9%
0.8%
45 - 64years old
22.4%
3.7%
65 - 74years old
24.9%