Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #57

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, most states in US are ending lockdown, even though their covid cases are not on the decline. A lot of people seem to think covid is over because lockdown is over, but in reality, covid is basically just beginning. Why people can't figure that out is beyond my understanding. Also, opening up is going to pretty much undo all the effect of lockdowns. The states where cases are truly going down are New York and New Jersey. In TX, covid is going up, so seems even hot humid weather isn't going to stop it.

So, I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow. As a result, I spent this past Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday at the local hospital (I am in one of the western suburbs of Chicago; it is very, very busy here - and that hospital is always madness because there are so many people that use it. Well, when I was there the ER was vacant -and dark- they actually had the lights off! As I walked around the hospital I noticed there were almost no patients, and I saw more cleaning crew than I did nurses and doctors. According to their website, they are open for normal business. So why is the hospital a ghost town? I posted this on my Facebook page, and OMG, it turned into a political war. Dems were accusing me of secretly being a Trump supporter, and Repubs saying they were happy I converted to their side. But, neither of these are true; I was merely posting an observation I had, and thought it was extremely odd that such a major hospital would be nearly closed in the middle of a pandemic. So, anyone have any ideas on WHY this would be? (And please, hold the politics - I worked police for Homeland Security for Democratic and Republican Administrations/leaders). Be safe!

So, I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow. As a result, I spent this past Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday at the local hospital (I am in one of the western suburbs of Chicago; it is very, very busy here - and that hospital is always madness because there are so many people that use it. Well, when I was there the ER was vacant -and dark- they actually had the lights off! As I walked around the hospital I noticed there were almost no patients, and I saw more cleaning crew than I did nurses and doctors. According to their website, they are open for normal business. So why is the hospital a ghost town? I posted this on my Facebook page, and OMG, it turned into a political war. Dems were accusing me of secretly being a Trump supporter, and Repubs saying they were happy I converted to their side. But, neither of these are true; I was merely posting an observation I had, and thought it was extremely odd that such a major hospital would be nearly closed in the middle of a pandemic. So, anyone have any ideas on WHY this would be? (And please, hold the politics - I worked police for Homeland Security for Democratic and Republican Administrations/leaders). Be safe!
Maybe it's preparing to take on non-covid patients? Obviously you rather not have covid patients mingling with non-covid patients. That's why they might be cleaning. To make sure no covid remains. That would be my guess anyway.

Well if they have cancelled most regular surgeries and people are staying at home more, there are less accidents so that is what we have found here in the UK.

Also, re the UK, I have been told by an ambulance driver that they know all the CV hotspots like care homes as they have to know to PPE up when they get a call somewhere. He said if they deal with a CV patient they then have a cleaning break to clean themselves and the ambulance down completely. I think normal hospital procedures are very disrupted. Was that a CV hospital that you attended do you know? Ie do they have CV patients there or is it just a regular hospital?

ETA good luck with your surgery.

The CDC now forecasts 100,000 US coronavirus deaths by June 1

By the time June 1 comes around, more than 100,000 Americans will likely have died from COVID-19, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A dozen different models are all forecasting an increasing rate of death in the coming weeks, even as some states have already begun reopening their economies.

In a May 4 town hall, US President Donald Trump told Fox News viewersthat, total, "we're going to lose anywhere from 75, 80 to 100,000 people." At that point, there were 68,000 confirmed deaths from COVID-19; as of May 14, there were more than 80,000.

On Friday, CDC Director Robert Redfield stated that the number will likely exceed the president's latest worst-case scenario (itself a revision up from the "maybe 65,000" Trump predicted in April) by the end of this month.

Dr. Robert R. Redfield

@CDCDirector

CDC tracks 12 different forecasting models of possible #COVID19 deaths in the US. As of May 11, all forecast an increase in deaths in the coming weeks and a cumulative total exceeding 100,000 by June 1. See national & state forecasts: https://bit.ly/3cKQIl4

10:20 PM - May 15, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

4,793 people are talking about this

Continued at link.

It is already over 90k so even if the rate falls to 1k a day then it will be over 106k by 1 June. MOO.

Last edited:
It's interesting. The group of colleagues infected at the same time as me (6 of us in total, third week in March), two have asthma. Their symptoms were less severe than the rest of us. All in our 50s, varying degrees of fitness and health.

Also, I was worried about Mr HKP due to his asthma. As he didnt get infected from me, and as my stranger symptoms developed he recognised them in a "flu" he had earlier in March, we now think he most likely had the virus before me. I said before, he commutes to London by train so was high risk to exposure. He was not as ill as I was either.

So based on my experience, I would agree with this.

However - in the UK we still await antibody tests so I should say we cant be 100% clinically certain that we had it (would eat my hat tho, textbook symptoms all round).

I still make sure Mr HKP uses his daily puffer and keeps stocked up ;)
It's interesting. The group of colleagues infected at the same time as me (6 of us in total, third week in March), two have asthma. Their symptoms were less severe than the rest of us. All in our 50s, varying degrees of fitness and health.

Also, I was worried about Mr HKP due to his asthma. As he didnt get infected from me, and as my stranger symptoms developed he recognised them in a "flu" he had earlier in March, we now think he most likely had the virus before me. I said before, he commutes to London by train so was high risk to exposure. He was not as ill as I was either.

So based on my experience, I would agree with this.

However - in the UK we still await antibody tests so I should say we cant be 100% clinically certain that we had it (would eat my hat tho, textbook symptoms all round).

I still make sure Mr HKP uses his daily puffer and keeps stocked up ;)

Glad to hear that you came out the other side of this nasty virus okay and Mr. HKP too: i have increased the use of Flovent inhaler since the pandemic. Trying to keep my lungs in decent shape. Stay well. Because of my asthma I have been terrified of getting the virus, figuring it would be a death sentence. I surely don't want to get the virus, but according to more recent medical information, it may not be as much of a risk factor as first thought.

The healthcare facility where I work has been at high capacity (including surge areas) with ICU CV patients recently
(Plus the wards with the non ICU CV patients, who aren’t wandering around the building). There is also a non CV patient population.

You’d never know it being in the public areas of the Hospital. It’s a “ghost town”.We are however “open for business”

some non essential departments and procedures and offices are closed ; people are working from
Home; no visitors are allowed ; no medical students in the building; many of our dr offices are closed; at least several departments have furloughed employees

ER - regular Er visits are way down. Local hospitals are doing PSAs “come on down to the ER everything is fine” to bring people in lol.

When ER is slow it’s slow. When it’s busy it’s awful. Logistics /flow has changed in our ER so it looks a little different (people were being triaged outside; no visitors/family members allowed etc)

EVS crews have been cleaning pretty much Everything non stop for the past two months so not surprised to see them around front and center.

(In Massachusetts at plateau-ish)

It’s early and I’m currently non caffeinated. Hopefully that was helpful.

Last edited:
So why is the hospital a ghost town?

In Pa, hospitals are barred from offering elective procedures, and our people shut down many services and furloughed employees, shut down outpatient centers, nurses flexed, higher building security, and the economic impact was devastating. Our organization is national, and we loan nurses back and forth. I see first hand how devastating the economic part is in totals. It's part of what I do.

I imagine people are scared to go to a hospitals, even in states that they are opened.

Weepingangel's post is a good summary.

The county I live in was the same.

It started out with cancelling elective surgeries and diagnostics. Lots of healthcare workers were furloughed as a result. So those departments (like outpatient surgery, women's center) went dark.

Then people were so scared they wouldn't come to the ER for treatment. No one getting admitted. We've had an uptick of people dying at home from heart attacks, strokes, because they're scared of calling 911 and potentially getting exposed to CV19. Our county health officer called our hospital a ghost town.

Jmo

In Pa, hospitals are barred from offering elective procedures, and our people shut down many services and furloughed employees, shut down outpatient centers, nurses flexed, higher building security, and the economic impact was devastating. Our organization is national, and we loan nurses back and forth. I see first hand how devastating the economic part is in totals. It's part of what I do.

I imagine people are scared to go to a hospitals, even in states that they are opened.

Weepingangel's post is a good summary.

Both her post and yours have lots of good information-- people are afraid to go to the hospital, to the point that some people may have died from stroke and heart attacks
at home, due to those fears--- i know i am afraid to go anywhere near a hospital and
hope i dont have to.

To add more to my lengthy babbling lol
City has one covid only facility-usually a rehab/nursing home 75-80 there) as well as a field hospital that they plan on closing but not disassembling next week ~just in case ~(<20 cases last check). Currently using some hotel rooms also. Homeless cv shelter was closed two?weeks ago.

I think some more surgeries are starting this week here? Hospitals are losing tons of money and so furloughs and less traffic in general in that area. Over numerous departments (or,anesthesia,cleaners,secretaries, nursing, pcas, transport, separate preop and recovery staff and areas etc)
I expect we’ll see busier hospitals in a few weeks one way or the other.

The healthcare facility where I work has been at high capacity (including surge areas) with ICU CV patients recently
(Plus the wards with the non ICU CV patients, who aren’t wandering around the building). There is also a non CV patient population.

You’d never know it being in the public areas of the Hospital. It’s a “ghost town”.We are however “open for business”

some non essential departments and procedures and offices are closed ; people are working from
Home; no visitors are allowed ; no medical students in the building; many of our dr offices are closed; at least several departments have furloughed employees

ER - regular Er visits are way down. Local hospitals are doing PSAs “come on down to the ER everything is fine” to bring people in lol.

When ER is slow it’s slow. When it’s busy it’s awful. Logistics /flow has changed in our ER so it looks a little different (people were being triaged outside; no visitors/family members allowed etc)

EVS crews have been cleaning pretty much Everything non stop for the past two months so not surprised to see them around front and center.

(In Massachusetts at plateau-ish)

It’s early and I’m currently non caffeinated. Hopefully that was helpful.

Last edited:
Both her post and yours have lots of good information-- people are afraid to go to the hospital, to the point that some people may have died from stroke and heart attacks
at home, due to those fears--- i know i am afraid to go anywhere near a hospital and
hope i dont have to.

Ironically, this is probably the safest time to have to go to a hospital.

No more random people wandering the hallways.

The ER waiting rooms are no longer functioning as family reunion centers.

Waiting rooms are just a thing of the past now.

No visitors, no excess cooties.

Constant disinfecting.

You get a mask slapped over your face about the second it looks like you'll be legitimately getting past a guarded door.

Jmo

]Massachusetts
Massachusetts reports 113 new coronavirus-related deaths on Saturday
Here are the cases listed by county:
Barnstable County: 1,147
Berkshire County: 495
Bristol County: 5,748
Dukes County: 25
Essex County: 12,314
Franklin County: 304
Hampden County: 5,133
Hampshire County: 751
Middlesex County: 18,883
Nantucket County: 12
Norfolk County: 7,412
Plymouth County: 6,987
Suffolk County: 16,346
Worcester County: 9,067
Unknown location: 309
Listed those Alphabetically ? o_OMore numbers etc at link

Thousands show in solidarity for Rutland Police officer
Thousands of people drove past St. Vincent Hospital in Worcester on Saturday in solidarity with Rutland Police Officer John D. Songy and the healthcare professionals that are treating him and others for COVID-19.
John is still in critical condition but is showing signs of improvement, Joanne Songy told MassLive.
more

RVs loaned to health care workers who need to keep distance from families
Portia D. Fortes-Runnels, of Belchertown, is an emergency department technician at Baystate Medical Center.

Obviously, she has been worried about the COVID-19 pandemic and bringing the virus home. “I know what I come in contact with every shift. I wouldn’t want to bring that home to my family nor would I want to further expose anyone to illness, so I was willing to find any option that would protect others — especially our older relatives — from something so lethal,” she said.

Ha yep. Only took a pandemic to make hospitals/ nursing homes etc “safe” Maybe some of the new normal standards :rolleyes: will be for the best.

Ironically, this is probably the safest time to have to go to a hospital.

No more random people wandering the hallways.

The ER waiting rooms are no longer functioning as family reunion centers.

Waiting rooms are just a thing of the past now.

No visitors, no excess cooties.

Constant disinfecting.

You get a mask slapped over your face about the second it looks like you'll be legitimately getting past a guarded door.

Jmo

I’m beginning to think we’ll see a vaccine before the testing is all sorted.:rolleyes: It’s been pretty much one thing after another with all things testing Since day one

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...04d6a4-9556-11ea-9f5e-56d8239bf9ad_story.html

Why widespread testing may not work in America--
Interesting --- i never thought about it quite this way---I guess I believe that in the time of a pandemic concerns about health trump everything else- like worries about privacy---

Massachusetts churches and beaches Ahead of Massachusetts reopening announcement, religious leaders left in the dark
In days before the first stage of Massachusetts’ reopening plan, many faith leaders remained unsure about what to expect.
A letter was signed by 250 religious leaders to Gov. Charlie Baker to allow churches to reopen during the first phases of Massachusetts’ reopening amid the coronavirus pandemic. Additionally, it asked a clergy member be added to the state’s Reopening Advisory Board.

As other states reopen beaches, where does Massachusetts stand?
When asked about Bay State beaches, Gov. Charlie Baker was mum on the subject.
“Let’s talk about Memorial weekend next weekend,” Baker said. He declined to respond when asked if plans for the beaches would be included in the reopening report that’s expected to publish on Monday.
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo tweeted Friday that New York, New Jersey, Delaware and Connecticut agreed to reopen beaches for Memorial Day weekend. The beaches will be required to operate at 50% capacity, and visitors will have to wear masks when they cannot stay six feet apart.

business is booming
Some Central Mass. businesses experience unexpected boon during COVID-19
Ninety-four years — that’s how long Alan Lavine’s family has owned and operated Percy’s Appliances in Worcester. Through world wars, depression, multiple recessions and three generations, Lavine said the economic and humanitarian impact of COVID-19 are incomparable events in the company’s history.

“We’ve been very fortunate,” said the Worcester store owner, to experience an increase in usual spring sales during this time of physical distancing and working from home.

From Percy’s Appliances to cleaning companies, food organizations and virtual communications and marketing firms, companies across Central Massachusetts have experienced an unexpected boon in business over the past eight weeks. [\QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beth43china