Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #57

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, (not) so good, for small business owners looking for business interruption coverage under their insurance policies.

From the Link:

Also on May 14, 2020, in Social Life Magazine, Inc. v. Sentinel Insurance Co. Ltd., No. 20-cv-3311 (VEC) (S.D.N.Y.), the court denied an emergency application by order to show cause for a preliminary injunction requiring the insurer to pay insurance proceeds to the policyholder immediately for COVID-19 damages. A written decision is forthcoming, but the transcript of the telephonic argument provides useful insights into at least one court’s views on business interruption claims under property policies for COVID-19 losses.

In denying the motion, the court made the following statement on the transcript record, which reflects the sentiments of many:

I feel bad for your client. I feel bad for every small business that is having difficulties during this period of time. But New York law is clear that this kind of business interruption needs some damage to the property to prohibit you from going. You get an A for effort, you get a gold star for creativity, but this is not what’s covered under these insurance policies.

The court focused on the direct physical loss of or damage to insured property requirement in the policies. That focus centered on Roundabout Theatre Co., Inc. v. Continental Casualty Co., 302 A.D.2d 1 (N.Y. App. Div. 1st Dep’t 2002), which held that, under New York law, the language of the policy clearly and unambiguously provided business interruption coverage only where the insured’s property suffered direct physical damage. The court also had difficulty understanding how the novel coronavirus could cause physical damage to property as opposed to making individuals ill with the COVID-19 infection. The court implied that the insured’s damage was caused by the Governor’s stay-home order and not by any particular damage to the insured’s property. It will be interesting to see how all of this is set out, if at all, in the written decision.

What to Make of the Early COVID-19 Insurance Coverage Court Rulings

My hair is growing so long. It's below my shoulders now but not so bad. Easy to tie up. I'm blonde and do have some darker roots growing in so I resorted to good old fashioned Sun-In, that I used when I was a teenager. It's less harsh now and did work wonders. That said and done, I'm good because summer is almost here bringing lots of warm sunshine with it. :)

Clairol root touch up is great. Just FYI.

Annie's Campground, near Gresham, Wisconsin, posted the new rule on the establishment's Facebook page: "Masks are NOT allowed in the buildings for safety sake. They are viewed as a robbery in progress and will be handled that way." The post goes on to list planned events and food items available to patrons for the May 15-17 weekend, before thanking patrons in its conclusion.

"Thank you for your continued support as we all get through this thing called life! We have many new people on staff, please have patience as we are training and learning the next few weeks," the post stated, before adding "back to the real normal here."

Wisconsin Business Bans Wearing Masks After Stay-At-Home Order Overturned

Interesting Yelp reviews: Annies Campground - Gresham, WI

(Remind me never to go camping in Wisconsin...MOO)

I love an old fashion attic fan...the noise and the breeze are awesome. The death increase in your parish reflects individuals who were infected 5-14 days ago and not from just opening up yesterday. My husband and I are retired and live in south LA. We take precautions such as social distancing, masks, and will continue. Church services for us will remain virtual. Social distancing is important but it doesn’t mean isolation. Call, text, and or FaceTime family and friends. For me, it makes all the difference. It helped me get out of a funk. Self-care is important. Reach out to others or your healthcare provider.

We have had no deaths, thank the good Lord! The increase is just the positive cases.
And I agree about the social distancing, but I feel so much better social distancing outside instead of in a store or building. That is why I will not go out to a restaurant and eat for a very long time. If they have seating outdoors, I may consider it but it will take a long time for me to reach the consider phase. Our church services are still virtual and will continue to be for a while. I'm really glad about that.

Interesting Yelp reviews: Annies Campground - Gresham, WI

(Remind me never to go camping in Wisconsin...MOO)
Interesting. Usually yelp puts a hold on an account that's getting blasted for political reasons. Not in this case, though. Hmm. I doubt her clientele cares since 99% of the reviews are from this week lol

In my county, San Diego, population 3.4 million, we have had to date 209 deaths.
Which frankly amazes me at these low numbers.
However, our Mexican border is seeing a rise in infected entering our hospitals.
Many of the people coming for care here are retired and expats who moved to Mexico and have USA citizenship.
They are choosing to come back to America for their health care, versus, using Mexico's health care.
Which I also would do.
Our hot spots are at our border and large cities, such as Los Angeles.
97% of the 40 million people who live here are not infected.

In my county, San Diego, population 3.4 million, we have had to date 209 deaths. 97% of the 40 million people who live here are not infected.

97% of the people in most places in the U.S. have not been infected. But that's going to change.

3 Months ago, 0% of the country was known to be infected. If you want a better idea what a country willing to get infected looks like, you can look no further than Russia, Sweden or Brazil.

<modsnip>
In my opinion, this virus will not care about one's politics (obviously).
This is a virus that ALL of us, need to fight against.
Worldwide.
Then we have to find out WHO is playing with Virus warfare and shut them down.
Every single tool, every single country needs to become so pissed off, that there is a rising of anger never seen before.
And yes. That includes ANY Country playing around virus warfare, including my country, the USA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody is showing data for any of it. We’re told of all this devastation but it’s only anecdotal. I mean, it’s just possible that the government’s actions to mitigate some of this personal disaster has worked in some ways. I am not aware of any business in my area, except one seasonal one that wasn’t going to make it anyway, that has folded or has said they may fold. Yes, I've seen layoffs, but again, unemployment benefits have actually increased. I guess it’s not worth mentioning some of these possible wins in terms of mitigation when it doesn’t fit the narrative that people are killing themselves left and right and all the small businesses are dying. The goal is to claim that somehow more lives will be lost if we don’t just go ahead and sacrifice the old and ill right now in service of the almighty dollar. It gives some respectability, I suppose, to the idea of sacrificing some because they can claim that it’s actually saving lives (which I believe is complete BS).

This is my opinion and I have no desire to argue about it. But I did want to state it because frankly, I find much of that discussion utterly nauseating.

I think we will see many businesses filing bankruptcy, not just the small ones. There are companies in my area that have closed permanently due to the shut-down.

No one is saying we should sacrifice elderly and sick people. I don’t see why that is even and argument here. Some like to twist words, I guess. My state is slowly opening. However, it has been recommended that if you’re over 65 or have more than one co-morbidity to follow the “stay at home guidelines”.

For the most part, people are following the guidelines. Some states are opening up and people are supporting their local businesses. That is a good thing. IMO. Why worry about what others are doing especially if they are following guidelines in their area. If you want to stay home, nobody is stopping you.

Last edited:
Nobody is showing data for any of it. We’re told of all this devastation but it’s only anecdotal. I mean, it’s just possible that the government’s actions to mitigate some of this personal disaster has worked in some ways. I am not aware of any business in my area, except one seasonal one that wasn’t going to make it anyway, that has folded or has said they may fold. Yes, I've seen layoffs, but again, unemployment benefits have actually increased. I guess it’s not worth mentioning some of these possible wins in terms of mitigation when it doesn’t fit the narrative that people are killing themselves left and right and all the small businesses are dying. The goal is to claim that somehow more lives will be lost if we don’t just go ahead and sacrifice the old and ill right now in service of the almighty dollar. It gives some respectability, I suppose, to the idea of sacrificing some because they can claim that it’s actually saving lives (which I believe is complete BS).

This is my opinion and I have no desire to argue about it. But I did want to state it because frankly, I find much of that discussion utterly nauseating.

More than 100,000 small businesses have closed forever as the nation’s pandemic toll escalates

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...icas-economy-pandemic-could-end-that-forever/

Analysts warn this is only the beginning of the worst wave of small-business bankruptcies and closures since the Great Depression. It’s simply not possible for small businesses to survive with no income coming in for weeks followed by reopening at half capacity, many owners say.
[Not to mention the recent shortages in meats and the huge surge in costs]

We are going to see a level of bankruptcy activity that nobody in business has seen in their lifetime,” said James Hammond, chief executive of New Generation Research, which tracks bankruptcy trends. “This will hit everyone, but it will be harder for small businesses since they don’t have a lot of spare cash.”

After decades in business, places including Ricardo’s Mexican Restaurant in Las Vegas, Biba Restaurant in Sacramento, Great Scott music venue in Boston and Tony Ciccarelli barbershop in Troy, N.Y., are closing forever. Many made their announcements just before May 1 rent was due.

For 19 years, McGinty and her sister ran Tastebuds, a popular Cleveland lunch spot. The business was on “life support” last month, she said, and she didn’t think they could survive the summer paying rent and making virtually no money as downtown Cleveland remains largely deserted.

There were just too many things against us,” said McGinty, still choking up at having to say it aloud.

Business owners like McGinty who are closing permanently say the process was too slow and the money covers only about two months of expenses, if that, even though it’s likely to be months before restaurants, gyms and stores are full again.

Dave and Stacy Dockins spent the last night in April holding hands and coming to terms with one of the hardest decisions of their marriage. The couple has run the popular Yoga Project studios in the Fort Worth area for 15 years. But on May 1, they decided to close all three of their yoga studios.

“We were afraid it would come to this. The money is just running out,” said Dave Dockins, after four different banks failed to process his PPP loan applications. “It’s still really raw for my wife and I. This is the hardest decision we’ve ever made.”

More than 100,000 small businesses have closed forever as the nation’s pandemic toll escalates

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...icas-economy-pandemic-could-end-that-forever/

Analysts warn this is only the beginning of the worst wave of small-business bankruptcies and closures since the Great Depression. It’s simply not possible for small businesses to survive with no income coming in for weeks followed by reopening at half capacity, many owners say.

We are going to see a level of bankruptcy activity that nobody in business has seen in their lifetime,” said James Hammond, chief executive of New Generation Research, which tracks bankruptcy trends. “This will hit everyone, but it will be harder for small businesses since they don’t have a lot of spare cash.”

After decades in business, places including Ricardo’s Mexican Restaurant in Las Vegas, Biba Restaurant in Sacramento, Great Scott music venue in Boston and Tony Ciccarelli barbershop in Troy, N.Y., are closing forever. Many made their announcements just before May 1 rent was due.

For 19 years, McGinty and her sister ran Tastebuds, a popular Cleveland lunch spot. The business was on “life support” last month, she said, and she didn’t think they could survive the summer paying rent and making virtually no money as downtown Cleveland remains largely deserted.

There were just too many things against us,” said McGinty, still choking up at having to say it aloud.

Business owners like McGinty who are closing permanently say the process was too slow and the money covers only about two months of expenses, if that, even though it’s likely to be months before restaurants, gyms and stores are full again.

Dave and Stacy Dockins spent the last night in April holding hands and coming to terms with one of the hardest decisions of their marriage. The couple has run the popular Yoga Project studios in the Fort Worth area for 15 years. But on May 1, they decided to close all three of their yoga studios.

“We were afraid it would come to this. The money is just running out,” said Dave Dockins, after four different banks failed to process his PPP loan applications. “It’s still really raw for my wife and I. This is the hardest decision we’ve ever made.”

Right. Obviously. Plus trillions in bailouts and "relief" might have some longterm economic impacts :rolleyes:

eta: my oldest two children are getting thousands of dollars in "relief" even though both of them are my dependants and neither of them have ever worked more than a part time job.

etaa: meanwhile, I'm expected to do the same job I've always done, for the same salary and with the ENTIRE staff "working" remotely. gah

Last edited:
I think we will see many businesses filing bankruptcy, not just the small ones. There are companies in my area that have closed permanently due to the shut-down.

No one is saying we should sacrifice elderly and sick people. I don’t see why that is even and argument here. Some like to twist words, I guess. My state is slowly opening. However, it has been recommended that if you’re over 65 or have more than one co-morbidity to follow the “stay at home guidelines”.

For the most part, people are following the guidelines. Some states are opening up and people are supporting their local businesses. That is a good thing. IMO. Why worry about what others are doing especially if they are following guidelines in their area. If you want to stay home, nobody is stopping you.

The iconic brands that could disappear because of coronavirus

Lockdowns triggered by the pandemic have forced the temporary closures of 263,000 stores, according to GlobalData Retail, and analysts say it remains to be seen how many will be able to reopen.

A number of the nation's most iconic brands are at risk of disappearing, as weeks-long lockdowns and deep economic unrest disrupts consumer spending. More than 100,000 stores could disappear by the end of 2025, according to UBS. There already are signs of distress: Retail sales plummeted 8.7 percent in March, their worst drop on record, and analysts say conditions will only worsen in the coming months.

. This means that some of the nation's weakest retailers, including J. Crew, Gap and J.C. Penney, have little recourse against mounting losses.

Many, like Neiman Marcus and J. Crew, are struggling to pay back billions of dollars from leveraged buyouts.

In recent weeks, S&P Global has downgraded 50 of the 125 retailers and restaurants it tracks, including Jo-Ann Stores and Party City.

Another category at risk: mall-based department stores like Macy's, Belk and J.C. Penney. Analysts say these companies have been struggling for years as people do more of their shopping online from direct-to-consumer brands. Sears and Barneys New York both filed for bankruptcy last year, and analysts say other major companies like Neiman Marcus will probably follow soon.

"Retailers have furloughed employees. They're taking salary cuts. A lot of them have stopped paying rent, but it's still not enough," Chadha said. "Stores are shut, so there is zero revenue coming in. And they're burning through cash."

He added that even stable department store chains, like Nordstrom and Kohl's, are facing "extreme pressure." Their fates, he said, may depend on exactly how long the pandemic lasts.

The Gap last week warned that it could run out of cash to cover routine costs. The company, which also owns Banana Republic and Old Navy, didn't pay rent in April and said it is talking to landlords about permanently closing some of its stores.

Lockdowns triggered by the pandemic have forced the temporary closures of 263,000 stores, according to GlobalData Retail, and analysts say it remains to be seen how many will be able to reopen.

A number of the nation's most iconic brands are at risk of disappearing, as weeks-long lockdowns and deep economic unrest disrupts consumer spending. More than 100,000 stores could disappear by the end of 2025, according to UBS. There already are signs of distress: Retail sales plummeted 8.7 percent in March, their worst drop on record, and analysts say conditions will only worsen in the coming months.

. This means that some of the nation's weakest retailers, including J. Crew, Gap and J.C. Penney, have little recourse against mounting losses.

Many, like Neiman Marcus and J. Crew, are struggling to pay back billions of dollars from leveraged buyouts.

In recent weeks, S&P Global has downgraded 50 of the 125 retailers and restaurants it tracks, including Jo-Ann Stores and Party City.

Another category at risk: mall-based department stores like Macy's, Belk and J.C. Penney. Analysts say these companies have been struggling for years as people do more of their shopping online from direct-to-consumer brands. Sears and Barneys New York both filed for bankruptcy last year, and analysts say other major companies like Neiman Marcus will probably follow soon.

"Retailers have furloughed employees. They're taking salary cuts. A lot of them have stopped paying rent, but it's still not enough," Chadha said. "Stores are shut, so there is zero revenue coming in. And they're burning through cash."

He added that even stable department store chains, like Nordstrom and Kohl's, are facing "extreme pressure." Their fates, he said, may depend on exactly how long the pandemic lasts.

The Gap last week warned that it could run out of cash to cover routine costs. The company, which also owns Banana Republic and Old Navy, didn't pay rent in April and said it is talking to landlords about permanently closing some of its stores.
Before Covid 19, quite a few stores closed in our city, i.e. Macy's, Bed Bath & Beyond, KMart, Sears.

If the stores mentioned in your link close here, we're going to be left with Walmart and Target.

I personally know of some small business permanent closings in our rural county, and certainly expect more :(

Anyone who has been on board since January, watching the deadly virus get closer to home, do you feel safe now that governments are paying attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member