Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #60

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This would contribute to the difficulties experienced in the UK to bring the numbers down. It's such a shame. The UK could have eliminated the virus completely.

We have virtually. The deaths have fallen to the level they were before the lockdown. From a 340% increase down to less than 3% increase. The community will be heading for herd immunity now as the opening up is going ahead and the protests have let the genie out of the bottle anyway so test and trace could not cope with those numbers IMO. We will get the Oxford vaccine out, even if only 80% effective. That's why the stock markets are improving.

Coronavirus updates: UK economy in record slump in April - BBC News

Republic of Ireland 'will not enter full lockdown again'

The Republic of Ireland will not enter full lockdown again even if there is a second wave of the virus, the country’s chief medical officer says - despite EU health experts warning that further lockdowns could be needed.

Dr Tony Holohan says that as the country knows more about Covid-19 than it did in March, when restrictions were first introduced, it will be able to take a different course.

“I wouldn’t be anticipating at this point in time that we would move back to blanket closures in the way we did in March,” he told Irish state broadcaster RTE.

“People understand more about the disease, the risks and how they can protect themselves when it comes to hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette.

“If a resurgence of the disease happened or a second wave, we would know what specific measures to take, having done our work proactively."

The Republic of Ireland, which has seen more than 25,000 cases and 1,703 fatalities, began the second phase of removing restrictions on Monday.

The problem is that right now, there are so many calves, and yearlings, that cattle ranchers were planning to send to feed lots in the Fall. If they can't get the beef processed, there won't be feed for them over the winter.

Many cattle ranchers here in Montana are still family run operations. This could easily ruin generations of people who have lived on the ranch.

It is more than just not eating steak. Just the "rest of the story".

I cannot see USA or UK ever giving up beef. Both countries fully support our farming industries. No shortage in the shops in UK anyway.

IMO, Americans have acted like spoiled brats in some ways. This is, at least, how I’ve come to view several people on my FB friends list recently.
How have Americans acted like spoiled brats?

We have virtually. The deaths have fallen to the level they were before the lockdown. From a 340% increase down to less than 3% increase. The community will be heading for herd immunity now as the opening up is going ahead and the protests have let the genie out of the bottle anyway so test and trace could not cope with those numbers IMO. We will get the Oxford vaccine out, even if only 80% effective. That's why the stock markets are improving.
Bbm yesterday was brutal in the US market
Here’s how the stock market tends to trade after brutal selloffs like Thursday’s

The protests have really changed how people are behaving in my area - yesterday I saw one mask at Lowe’s - everyone else was bare.

No surprise at all. The only thing that paused cases is the unsustainable separation of all people. It's the hand wringing that has me vexed.

The only reason for the lockdowns were to stop the health services being overwhelmed. Now that is under control, we are opening because the stock market and economy are now the concern.

Reactions: byo
But that doesn't mean that I have faith that the politicians are going to be able to convince the masses of anything now, after they were such hypocrites. It was like the end of the world when people wanted to go to church or to a funeral. They were called selfish idiots and some faced arrests.

Days later these same politicians enthusiastically supported the marches. It is going to be seen by many that the politicians were being dishonest or deceitful, because it cannot be dangerous to attend church but not dangerous to march and chant. JMO

I think persuading the masses was over when there were many chanting demonstrators storming state capitols, claiming that their constitutional rights were being violated by the restrictions well before the BLM marches. These were supported and encouraged by politicians at high levels and were not interfered with, even when they carried guns into the capitol building. It wasn’t illegal so it was allowed.

Many of us were very concerned about those demonstrators spreading coronavirus since they mostly didn’t wear masks and practice social distancing. But they weren’t interfered with. For many people who crowded into churches it was the end of the world for them.

So the BLM marches didn’t start the non-compliance. It had already happened with ones demonstrating against restrictions. The BLM protestors had just as much right to demonstrate as the earlier ones. The compliance horse had already left the barn.

Thankfully, many BLM protestors wore masks. The ones I saw in my community were even walking far apart, although that wasn’t true everywhere. And of course, I’m putting lawless looters in a separate category.

So IMO whether it’s fair that people of either cause were out marching isn’t really relevant to what I do. And those who were going to violate coronavirus restrictions would have done so even if there had never been any demonstrations. They already were. Which is why I stay home.
JMO

Bbm yesterday was brutal in the US market
Here’s how the stock market tends to trade after brutal selloffs like Thursday’s

The protests have really changed how people are behaving in my area - yesterday I saw one mask at Lowe’s - everyone else was bare.

Yes but NASDAQ hit 10000 for first time ever this week. They must know something we don't.

Dow closes 280 points lower, Nasdaq above 10,000 after Fed says it’ll keep buying bonds and interest rates near zero

Coronavirus updates: UK economy in record slump in April - BBC News

Republic of Ireland 'will not enter full lockdown again'

The Republic of Ireland will not enter full lockdown again even if there is a second wave of the virus, the country’s chief medical officer says - despite EU health experts warning that further lockdowns could be needed.

Dr Tony Holohan says that as the country knows more about Covid-19 than it did in March, when restrictions were first introduced, it will be able to take a different course.

“I wouldn’t be anticipating at this point in time that we would move back to blanket closures in the way we did in March,” he told Irish state broadcaster RTE.

“People understand more about the disease, the risks and how they can protect themselves when it comes to hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette.

“If a resurgence of the disease happened or a second wave, we would know what specific measures to take, having done our work proactively."

The Republic of Ireland, which has seen more than 25,000 cases and 1,703 fatalities, began the second phase of removing restrictions on Monday.

I take this to mean there won't be a second lockdown in any second wave as we now know how to cope with it. Right?

upload_2020-6-12_12-13-5.pnghttps://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk › ...PDF
2020-06-10 COVID-19 Press Conference Slides - to be published
2 days ago · here:Welcome to GOV.UK government/collections/slides-and- ... Mechanical ventilator beds occupied with COVID-19 patients on 9 June. (UK) ... average to today's.

A good set of statistics and graphs at this gov.uk link.

Yea, we are doing super great. Covid is all done for. Not so fast.
"Houston-area officials are “getting close” to reimposing stay-at-home orders and are prepared to reopen a Covid-19 hospital established but never used at a football stadium as virus cases expand in the fourth-largest U.S. city."
Houston on ‘Precipice of Disaster’ With Virus Cases Spreading

Everything is under control. Nothing to see here. Oops, 300 % increase in cases in Arizona.
"Arizona’s department of health reported an additional 1,412 new cases on Thursday, bringing the state’s total to 31,264. The number of cases have climbed by nearly 300% since May 1 and have roughly doubled since Memorial Day, according to historical data from Johns Hopkins University compiled by CNBC."
Arizona coronavirus cases nearly double since Memorial Day as state nears hospital capacity

Everything is under control. Nothing to see here. Oops, 300 % increase in cases in Arizona.
"Arizona’s department of health reported an additional 1,412 new cases on Thursday, bringing the state’s total to 31,264. The number of cases have climbed by nearly 300% since May 1 and have roughly doubled since Memorial Day, according to historical data from Johns Hopkins University compiled by CNBC."
Arizona coronavirus cases nearly double since Memorial Day as state nears hospital capacity
Thanks. I can access that one. It says 84% capacity but has additional surge capacity.

"Arizona hospitals reported that they were at 84% capacity on Wednesday. However, Gov. Doug Ducey later said the state has additional surge capacity available if needed."

Deaths per million (from Worldometers)

Texas 67
Arizona 155
NY 1580
NJ 1413

Last edited:
Thanks. I can access that one. It says 84% capacity but has additional surge capacity.

"Arizona hospitals reported that they were at 84% capacity on Wednesday. However, Gov. Doug Ducey later said the state has additional surge capacity available if needed."

Deaths per million (from Worldometers)

Texas 67
Arizona 155
NY 1580
NJ 1413
Yea, lots of room to grow in TX and AZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online