Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #60

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
UC San Diego plans to spend $1 million a month to test the whole campus monthly if the campus reopens in the fall - that's 65,000 students, faculty and staff to be tested for COVID-19 each month.

Don't know too many colleges and universities that have that kind of money and can make that commitment to monthly testing and tracking.

Don't have link, it was a radio interview on higher education.

UC San Diego plans to spend $1 million a month to test the whole campus monthly if the campus reopens in the fall - that's 65,000 students, faculty and staff to be tested for COVID-19 each month.

Don't know too many colleges and universities that have that kind of money and can make that commitment to monthly testing and tracking.

Wondering if UCLA will be doing the same? My nephew plans on attending this coming fall semester.

AZ and TX aren't doing so good right now.
Houston might end up going back into lockdown if trend continues.
There's a new COVID-19 threat level system and Harris County is at a '2'
I would love to see how that Lockdown would go over with the law-abiding and virus cautious workers of that city!!!! IMO, not gonna be very good!

ETA: This is in no way contradicting you. Just simply stating you cannot allow one group to congregate close together and not let the workers provide for their families. MOO

British study: Whitmer stay-home orders saved perhaps tens of thousands of lives

Stay-at-home orders that brought armed protesters to the Michigan Capitol this spring may have saved tens of thousands of lives in the state, according to a British study.

Researchers at Imperial College London and Oxford University tracked the effectiveness of non-pharmaceutical interventions against the novel coronavirus, such as stay-at-home orders, by tracking how mobility decreased after governors declared states of emergency in each state.

They tracked mobility, using Google, because people who spend less time in public spaces are less likely to be exposed to the disease.

The researchers found that states that were more successful at keeping people at home were also more successful at reducing the spread of COVID-19. And mobility decreased more in Michigan under Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's stay-home orders than in any other Great Lakes states — or most states in the United States, according to the study...

The only reason for the lockdowns were to stop the health services being overwhelmed. Now that is under control, we are opening because the stock market and economy are now the concern.

That certainly is one reason for the lockdown, but not the only one. Had the lockdowns been successful, we could have eradicated the virus and thereby protected developing countries. Another big part of the reason for the lockdown was to prevent deaths by keeping people apart from one another until we had a vaccine or a treatment could be found. Preventing deaths is still the main reason we open up in stages.

Good gracious! I wonder what my little alma mater plans to do. There are still several professors I care a great deal about who are there and now in the high risk age group.

While I agree the protests are going to be spreading events, the primary difference is they are outside where the chance of contagion is less than inside a church building (or any other building).

People were shoulder to shoulder, yelling for hours. Most churches aren't full of shoulder to shoulder tellers. Just my opinion, though.

Wondering if UCLA will be doing the same? My nephew plans on attending this coming fall semester.

UCLA has a mixed plan, announced about a month ago. They will try to give enough online options that students who wish to avoid contact can get their schedules. However, in programs of study where online classes are not possible (nursing, etc) they will be real world, with as much social distancing as possible. They will also offer a full range of real world classes across their curriculum, but avoiding large intro lecture classes (they'll be half to third size - which is actually quite a great opportunity).

No word on how students are to manage the residential situation, but I would assume they will make all sleeping quarters solo. That will likely change the off campus housing market considerably.

People were shoulder to shoulder, yelling for hours. Most churches aren't full of shoulder to shoulder tellers. Just my opinion, though.

Not everyone at the protests were yelling (you can watch it online - there's a lot of yelling in the front ranks).

But in the video above, you'll see that one person who was sitting next to someone at church (where there was singing) got CV from am approximate one hour contact.

Singing and yelling produce CV virion at higher rates. Many of the protesters were not literally shoulder to shoulder, the way people are in church or choir.

Not everyone at the protests were yelling (you can watch it online - there's a lot of yelling in the front ranks).

But in the video above, you'll see that one person who was sitting next to someone at church (where there was singing) got CV from am approximate one hour contact.

Singing and yelling produce CV virion at higher rates. Many of the protesters were not literally shoulder to shoulder, the way people are in church or choir.

Your church must be well attended. :)

We aren't exactly crowded here. I base my opinion on that. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members