Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #64

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You heard it here first! Danger Will Robinson!! Danger!!

Flu virus with 'pandemic potential' found in China

By Michelle Roberts

Health editor, BBC News

A new strain of flu that has the potential to become pandemic has been identified in China by scientists.

It emerged recently and is carried by pigs, but can infect humans, they say.

The researchers are concerned that it could mutate further so that it can spread easily from person to person, and trigger a global outbreak.

They say it has "all the hallmarks" of being highly adapted to infect humans - and needs close monitoring.

As it's new, people could have little or no immunity to the virus.

Pandemic threat

A bad new strain of influenza is among the top disease threats that experts are watching for, even as the world attempts to bring to an end the current coronavirus pandemic.

The last pandemic flu the world encountered - the swine flu outbreak of 2009 that began in Mexico - was less deadly than initially feared, largely because many older people had some immunity to it, probably because of its similarity to other flu viruses that had circulated years before.

That virus, called A/H1N1pdm09, is now covered by the annual flu vaccine to make sure people are protected.

The new flu strain that has been identified in China is similar to 2009 swine flu, but with some new changes.

So far, it hasn't posed a big threat, but Prof Kin-Chow Chang and colleagues who have been studying it, say it is one to keep an eye on.

The virus, which the researchers call G4 EA H1N1, can grow and multiply in the cells that line the human airways.

They found evidence of recent infection starting in people who worked in abattoirs and the swine industry in China.

Current flu vaccines do not appear to protect against it, although they could be adapted to do so if needed.

Prof Kin-Chow Chang, who works at Nottingham University in the UK, told the BBC: "Right now we are distracted with coronavirus and rightly so. But we must not lose sight of potentially dangerous new viruses."

While this new virus is not an immediate problem, he says: "We should not ignore it".

The scientists write in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that measures to control the virus in pigs and closely monitor working populations should be swiftly implemented.

Prof James Wood, Head of the Department of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Cambridge, said the work "comes as a salutary reminder" that we are constantly at risk of new emergence of pathogens, and that farmed animals, with which humans have greater contact than with wildlife, may act as the source for important pandemic viruses.

Holy cow, That sounds more like a line from a sitcom. And not a good one lol.
My parents are in their 80s and their attitude is nowhere near that statement. They have iPads, smartphones, Alexa, and can deposit checks on their cell phone. They are mentally sharp but have physical issues.
Their lament is not seeing all of their family but understand shielding protects them.

My mother is 87 and my father is 89....they have 3 Alexa's (one with a screen which we all
talk to each other with) their lights are hooked up to the Alexa, the tv is hooked up to the Alexa..they have all manner of electronics (my dad is a retired computer scientist from the Air Force) down to surround sound, sound outside to the patio, all devices connected with voice and all done by my dad, my mom has an iPad that she is on daily, my father a pc lets see.. they have been vegetarians since I was 5 years old...and brought us all up like that before there was a word for it. the last thing I think of is my parents are "old and not with it" far from it...oh smartphones and texting (we are a huge family on a huge texting chain) and omg..they even know how to take photos and videos and send them to our text chain or post in our family facebook group...

Russia is having a huge number of cases but low number of deaths. Russians must be very resilient. Kind of like Floridians.

Hmmm, I've said before that the Russians seem to be surprisingly 'resilient'. I studied Russian, I've been to Russia, I love lots of things about Russia... but I don't trust them to be entirely truthful about this. And if only we could all have achieved the miracle that North Korea has - no cases at all despite being sandwiched between China, Russia and South Korea. Double hmmm.

It'll take a loooong time before all the statistics are any way near correct, months and years. I hope nobody is manipulating their case/death rates (in any direction) for political means or in order to save face. We can't fight future pandemics efficiently without a full and frank picture of what happened with this one.

California Officials warn hospital beds in LA County may not meet demand as cases surge

Health officials warned on Monday that in coming weeks there may not be enough hospital beds to accommodate patients as COVID-19 cases surge in Los Angeles County.

Officials said hospitalizations are on the rise and transmission of the virus has increased.

"An increase in hospitalizations of course translates into an increase demand for hospital beds," said Dr. Christina Ghaly, director for the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services.

"We're meeting the demand right now for hospital beds, but if the predicted increase in new patients requiring hospitalizations materializes, the number of hospital beds could become inadequate in the next few weeks. In many cases, the people who will need these beds have already been exposed to COVID-19 because what's happening in our hospitals are reflective of what happened a few weeks ago in our communities," Dr. Ghaly said.

Great. Just great.

A new strain of flu that has the potential to become a pandemic has been identified in China by scientists.

It emerged recently and is carried by pigs, but can infect humans, they say.

The researchers are concerned that it could mutate further so that it can spread easily from person to person, and trigger a global outbreak.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/06/29/gilead-sciences-remdesivir-cost-coronavirus/?outputType=amp

Gilead Sciences, the maker of the first covid-19 treatment found to have worked in clinical trials, remdesivir, said Monday it will charge U.S. hospitals $3,120 for the typical patient with private insurance.

Soon after the announcement, the Trump administration said it had secured nearly all of the company’s supply of the drug for use in U.S. hospitals through September, with a contract for 500,000 treatment courses, which it will make available to hospitals at Gilead’s price.

Other developed countries will pay 25 percent less than the United States, a discount Gilead said reflects a need to make the drug as widely available as possible throughout the world.

Last edited:
This post needs a “love” button option.
Respectively, another view.
"Covid isn't the only thing in the world" - I totally agree! Since Covid isn't the only thing in the world is the very reason so many rational, logical folks choose to isolate and take every precaution they can in their own situation so they can enjoy the world once this threat has passed. There is so much life out there! I for one, choose to alter my lifestyle temporarily to protect my life, my friends and my precious family's. I want to enjoy all the big things; graduations, celebrations, marriages, births, holidays. I want to enjoy the little things that bring me joy - going to the theatre for live performances, live music venues, casual dining out with family and friends, all the spring through summer fairs and festivals, the beach, the mountains, a leisure day shopping and dining out with friends. I miss that!
"the kids that are losing a summer - times that are supposed to be the best of their lives" - depends totally on the parents. I know one of my daughters lives in one of the worst hit counties in VA has made the most amazing memories with her family during this time. They have found beautiful parks that have few people and have discovered our nation's beauty so close to home that they had not explored until this year although having lived in the area for past 10 years. They were too busy traveling internationally and discovering the world and had no idea what was within driving distance of their home. The pictures they share and the stories the grandkids have to tell me every single weekend of their discoveries is so uplifting and pride just takes over my heart to see how they have thrived during this time.
"exhibiting signs of harm to their mental health" - anxiety over the unknown is not necessarily an unhealthy symptom. Anxiety can make us face reality and take necessary precautions. Anxiety is a normal and often healthy emotion.
Life is full of changes, depends on how we handle those changes as to the quality of life we live.
ALL
JMO
MOO

Schools can also not start in person prior to August 17th now, but they can do online sooner (originally districts several announced in person beginning the first week of August)

No in person gatherings in/outside over 50 again either here.

If he'd not gone hog wild opening everything up basically overnight 6 weeks ago it'd probably have helped avoid this...

I learned something very interesting recently in a psychology training course that I had to take for work, that, from a psychological standpoint, during a crisis, what is typically seen rather than panic is denial. Jmo.

For years we lived right next to a National Forest in Colorado. In 2002, the Hayman Fire was huge here in Colorado. At one point, I was close to a panic attack, because of the news report that the fire was getting close to crossing Rampart Range Road. (We had already evacuated our horses and dumped a bunch of hard to replace stuff like photo albums and family heirlooms at a friend's house.) My partner, trying to be helpful, pulled out the topo map so he could prove to me that my fears were overblown. He stared at it for a few minutes, then said, "It IS getting close." Fortunately, the prevailing winds changed to the east, blowing the fire back on itself a day or so later.

So I am definitely in the fear, not denial, group.

I have missed some threads and am trying to catch up so forgive me if this has been asked and answered:

Are there any seniors here who have had the virus and recovered? Will you share your experiences on this thread? Or does anyone personally know someone over 65 who suffered through the virus and recovered? I would like to know duration of sickness, how sick compared to cold and flu, symptoms, lingering symptoms, etc.

Thanks so much if you are willing to share.

You may want to head over to the thread where WS folks congregate if they are positive and they are discussing.

WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

If he'd not gone hog wild opening everything up basically overnight 6 weeks ago it'd probably have helped avoid this...

He actually admitted messing up by letting a bowl of beer nuts be considered a "restaurant."

Some interesting trivia:

“Experts estimate that about 60% of known infectious diseases in people can be spread by animals, and 3 out of every 4 new diseases in people originated in animals, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).“

What are zoonotic diseases? | Live Science

WHO EMRO | Zoonotic disease: emerging public health threats in the Region | RC61 | À propos de l’OMS

The Importance of Zoonotic Diseases - The Emergence of Zoonotic Diseases - NCBI Bookshelf

8 Zoonotic Diseases Shared Between Animals and People of Most Concern in the U.S. | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

—-

I saw on the news the other day there is also West Nile and Dengue in Florida, iirc moo. It was stated that this is not unusual due to the tropical nature.

eta:
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article243818662.html

10 More Cases Of West Nile Virus Reported In Miami-Dade, 8 Dengue Cases In Keys

—-

Eta2:

Singapore:
4 more deaths from dengue, cases surpass 13,500 this year

Lockdowns May Be Driving Another Virus Wave: Dengue Fever

Dengue fever on the rise in Southeast Asia amid coronavirus lockdown

In Some Nations, Coronavirus Is Only One of Many Outbreaks

Dengue Fever Is on the Rise — a Ticking Time Bomb in Many Places Around the World

Dengue and Covid-19

https://www.idse.net/From-Zoo-to-Yo...l-U-S-Dengue-Fever-Cases-Tied-to-Travel/58712

Move over SARS-CoV-2, dengue’s back and it’s not waiting for you

Dengue at a peak with 200 new cases a day

Talibon, Tubigon, Tagbilaran record highest dengue cases in Bohol - Philippines

Sabah records 2,537 dengue cases: Dept | Daily Express Online - Sabah's Leading News Portal

Confirmed dengue case in Key Largo - Florida Keys Weekly Newspapers

Eek:
Current serotype of dengue virus in Singapore disguises itself to evade vaccines and therapeutics

Dengue cases in the Americas top 1.6 million, highlighting need for mosquito control during COVID-19 pandemic - World

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member