Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #72

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the earliest I got my flu vaccine was in October. Will need to check on that.
And insurance does not cover the vaccine if you go to Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc - you have to actually go to the doctors office.

I looked at the list, I think that you could correlate this list of "Golden Corral" restaurants with states that have the highest obesity rates. And, higher Covid death rates.

one of my constant gripes with the media.... they are not strong enough regarding obesity as being one of the biggest comorbidities. When you look at the physiological aspects of ACE2 and resulting oxygen stress, and the growth of the deadly von Willebrand Factor fibers/tenticles being much worse in obese folks.... I strongly believe we need much stronger public service announcements on obesity. I think about it when i enter stores now....especially when i see markedly obese folks NOT wearing masks..... I know it sounds discriminatory..... but it is a significant factor when it comes to covid outcomes... I just wish I could tell people "now YOU be more careful".

I think the earliest I got my flu vaccine was in October. Will need to check on that.
And insurance does not cover the vaccine if you go to Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc - you have to actually go to the doctors office.
My United Healthcare covered my flu shot at Target - last September plus I got a $5 Target gift card. I didn't even know it would until my pharmacists asked me if I wanted one- and I said I didn't usually get one and didn't want to pay the $25 - he checked and it was covered without a co-pay so he gave it to me. Only the second time - first was flu nasal mist many years ago (also free). I guess it depends on your insurance carrier?
JMO

Tricare covers the flu shot if you get it at a network pharmacy. I get mine at Walgreens.

The campaign here was less about the effect on hospitals and more about the effect on a persons health if they contracted both the flu and the coronavirus at the same time. I think it did scare people enough into going and getting the flu shot.
I think most people who ended up having the flu shot would have been thinking about their own health rather than the state of the hospitals.

The Southern Hemisphere flu season is already underway. There is no time to lose.”

Last edited:
Coronavirus: Pet cat becomes first animal to test positive for COVID-19 in UK

A pet cat has become the first animal to test positive for coronavirus in the UK.

The only details known about the feline are that it lives in England and was tested at a laboratory in Weybridge, Surrey, last week, on 22 July.

Evidence suggests it contracted the virus from its owners, who had previously tested positive for COVID-19 - but both the animal and family have since made a "full recovery", the government said.

It added there is "no evidence" the cat transmitted coronavirus to its owners - or that any other domestic pets are able to, either.

Coronavirus: Vietnam evacuating 80,000 from city after 11 positive COVID-19 tests

Vietnam is evacuating 80,000 people, mostly local tourists, from the central city of Da Nang after 11 residents tested positive for coronavirus.

The Southeast Asian country is back on high alert after confirming its first community infections since April over the weekend.

The evacuation will take at least four days with domestic airlines operating approximately 100 flights daily from Da Nang to 11 Vietnamese cities, the government said in a statement.

The 11 new COVID-19 cases are all linked to a hospital and include four healthcare workers, the country's health ministry said on Monday.

Last year we got our flu shot in late September, which was earlier than usual, and we got the shot high dose flu vaccine for over 65. They ran out of the high dose vaccines early, that's why we went earlier last year. Also, we go to our local Walgreens, and insurance covers it. We have known our pharmacist for years, and always go to her.

one of my constant gripes with the media.... they are not strong enough regarding obesity as being one of the biggest comorbidities. When you look at the physiological aspects of ACE2 and resulting oxygen stress, and the growth of the deadly von Willebrand Factor fibers/tenticles being much worse in obese folks.... I strongly believe we need much stronger public service announcements on obesity. I think about it when i enter stores now....especially when i see markedly obese folks NOT wearing masks..... I know it sounds discriminatory..... but it is a significant factor when it comes to covid outcomes... I just wish I could tell people "now YOU be more careful".

I am more aware of the obese in our community also, and when I see them I worry for them, as they are more vulnerable if they get sick with the virus. My heart goes out to them. Of course, we are all at risk, but this could be even worse for those with these comorbidities.

Boris Johnson says 'I was too fat' in UK launch to tackle obesity - CNN

I think that the issues of weight and obesity are too complex to really "fat shame" people.

Here in Australia, for the past few years you can get the flu shot at many pharmacy's. I've seen the price for it as low as $14.
If you are over 65 you can get the shot for free from your doctor. The pharmacy's don't have the one for over 65s.

I was just looking at some similar things.

Coexistence of myositis, transverse myelitis, and Guillain Barré syndrome following Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection in an adolescent

—-

Eta: Alright, here we go:
Acute transverse myelitis associated with SARS-CoV-2: A Case-Report
June 6

Highlights
  • • The third case of acute transverse myelitis due to SARS-CoV-2 reported in the world.
  • • Possible inflammatory complications affecting the myelin in spinal cord.
  • • We must be vigilant of the critical neurological illnesses associated with COVID-19.

—-

Acute myelitis as a neurological complication of Covid-19: A case report and MRI findings
June 6

Abstract
During the recent outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, there is rising concerns about neurological complications of COVID-19. Fever, headache, and anosmia may occur early during the disease course. Other neurological sequalae such as encephalitis may occur in later phases. We report a case of acute myelitis in a 32-year old male COVID-19 positive patient who presented with a 2-day history of flu-like symptoms then sudden onset paraplegia and urinary retention. The incidence is not known and the pathogenesis of the disease behind this manifestation is still not fully understood. Nevertheless considering the broad differential diagnosis of acute myelitis, prompt clinical, and diagnostic work up was crucial to exclude other causes. Patients presenting with neurological symptoms such as loss of consciousness, ataxia, convulsions, status epilepticus, encephalitis, myelitis or neuritis should raise concerns for COVID-19 infection during this pandemic prompting early diagnosis and initiation of proper management.

ugh. Does anyone else get somewhat paranoid into thinking, geeeez, we may only being exposed to the tip of the iceburg? Think I have to take a little break right now...

The campaign here was less about the effect on hospitals and more about the effect on a persons health if they contracted both the flu and the coronavirus at the same time. I think it did scare people enough into going and getting the fu shot.
I think most people who ended up having the flu shot would have been thinking about their own health rather than the state of the hospitals.

BBM. I don't usually crack up over autocorrect. But that's golden. Lol.

Looking at autoimmune diseases again for more recent data:

COVID-19 in patients with rheumatic disease in Hubei province, China: a multicentre retrospective observational study
July 3

“Interpretation
Patients with autoimmune rheumatic disease might be more susceptible to COVID-19 infection than the general population.“

—-

Family remembers 13-year-old Oklahoma girl who died of COVID-19 as funny, outgoing
July 13

“Carter also suffered from juvenile scleroderma, and her family said her immune system just could not fight COVID-19. The 13-year-old girl, who is the youngest known person in Oklahoma to die of the coronavirus, was vulnerable to the virus because of the autoimmune disorder.“

Here in Australia, for the past few years you can get the flu shot at many pharmacy's. I've seen the price for it as low as $14.
If you are over 65 you can get the shot for free from your doctor. The pharmacy's don't have the one for over 65s.

Ours are free at our pharmacy.

Also, I'm going to alert on my post as I'm thinking we aren't supposed to be discussing vaccines here? We have a vaccine thread I had forgot about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove