Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #72

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
whoosh...wow, that is hard. Did you get any explanation of why she succumbed so drastically and quick?

My best friends' son, a very healthy 50 year old health care practitioner, has a pretty bad case... 12 days and counting. So sick with vomiting, diarhea, headaches, cough.... but his temperature has been normal for 3 days now, and he is not having such terrible symptoms. But the absolute complete exhaustion can last for so much longer.

We don't know much, other than that she was admitted to hospital, and we were told that it went to her heart. It's a terrible thing to have a family member die when you can't be part of their care on any level. There was no communication with the family until she was dead.

Questions will likely always linger since she was admitted to hospital in Florida. We know that the state is having difficulty managing the pandemic. We don't know what their treatment protocol is, and whether or not they are still using drugs that are known to contribute to deaths by heart failure. In fact, seeing the challenges in Florida hospitals, we don't know if she was treated at all.

I had to laugh when I noticed it LOL !
I hope it might mean get away from us you nasty virus if you know what's good for you.
We're a wise up to you now so your days are numbered, so take a hike!
But I don't think it was autocorrect, or was it. I thought I just missed the L in it.

BBM. I don't usually crack up over autocorrect. But that's golden. Lol.

Last edited:
Coronavirus: Pet cat becomes first animal to test positive for COVID-19 in UK

A pet cat has become the first animal to test positive for coronavirus in the UK.

The only details known about the feline are that it lives in England and was tested at a laboratory in Weybridge, Surrey, last week, on 22 July.

Evidence suggests it contracted the virus from its owners, who had previously tested positive for COVID-19 - but both the animal and family have since made a "full recovery", the government said.

It added there is "no evidence" the cat transmitted coronavirus to its owners - or that any other domestic pets are able to, either.
I'm glad you posted this. I had it on the last thread along with some vaccine news and it got bumped over to the vaccine thread. This is important as it is the only case of a cat getting it from a human in the UK.

I think the earliest I got my flu vaccine was in October. Will need to check on that.
And insurance does not cover the vaccine if you go to Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc - you have to actually go to the doctors office.

It would save $$ if the insurance covered vaccinations at clinics. I recall getting vaccinations from the Public Health Unit when they held a clinic at the local community hall. Folks just lined up, got their needle and went home. I can see something like this happening again, since so many need to be vaccinated and time is of the essence.

I'm glad you posted this. I had it on the last thread along with some vaccine news and it got bumped over to the vaccine thread. This is important as it is the only case of a cat getting it from a human in the UK.

Is it possible to find out more about who verified the positive test? It's important to know whether or not this was verified by a reliable source. To my knowledge there are no diagnostic tests available yet for pets. So these one timers raise my suspicions.

ETA .. Idexx says that they have a test for pets. I'm still suspicious.
COVID-19 resources - IDEXX Canada

ETA .. again ... Idexx tests for pets may be a bit of a stretch. I donno.

Last edited:
Is it possible to find out more about who verified the positive test? It's important to know whether or not this was verified by a reliable source. To my knowledge there are no diagnostic tests available yet for pets. So these one timers raise my suspicions.

ETA .. Idexx says that they have a test for pets. I'm still suspicious.
COVID-19 resources - IDEXX Canada

It was a BBC article but I will have a dig around.

ETA this is the GOV.Uk link to the Press Release. It was the Animal and Plant health dept that did the test. If you go to link you can get more info also.

COVID-19 confirmed in pet cat in the UK

GOV.UK
Search
Menu

Coronavirus (COVID-19)Guidance and support
  1. Home
  2. Animal and plant health
Press release
COVID-19 confirmed in pet cat in the UK

The virus responsible for COVID-19 has been detected in a pet cat in the UK.

Published 27 July 2020
Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs and Animal and Plant Health Agency

s300_defra-sign-grey.jpg

The UK’s Chief Veterinary Officer has confirmed that the virus responsible for COVID-19 has been detected in a pet cat in the UK.

The infection was confirmed following tests at the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) laboratory in Weybridge on Wednesday 22 July.

Although this is the first confirmed case of an animal infection with the coronavirus strain in the UK, there is no evidence to suggest that the animal was involved in transmission of the disease to its owners or that pets or other domestic animals are able to transmit the virus to people.

The advice from Public Health England is for people to wash their hands regularly, including before and after contact with animals.

All available evidence suggests that the cat contracted the coronavirus from its owners who had previously tested positive for COVID-19. The cat and its owners have since made a full recovery and there was no transmission to other animals or people in the household.

Chief Veterinary Officer Christine Middlemiss said:

Tests conducted by the Animal and Plant Health Agency have confirmed that the virus responsible for COVID-19 has been detected in a pet cat in England.

This is a very rare event with infected animals detected to date only showing mild clinical signs and recovering within in a few days.

There is no evidence to suggest that pets directly transmit the virus to humans. We will continue to monitor this situation closely and will update our guidance to pet owners should the situation change.

Yvonne Doyle, Medical Director at Public Health England, said:

This is the first case of a domestic cat testing positive for COVID-19 in the UK but should not be a cause for alarm.

The investigation into this case suggest that the infection was spread from humans to animal, and not the other way round. At this time, there is no evidence that pets can transmit the disease to humans.

In line with the general advice on fighting coronavirus, you should wash your hands regularly, including before and after contact with animals.

The pet cat was initially diagnosed by a private vet with feline herpes virus, a common cat respiratory infection, but the sample was also tested for SARS-CoV-2 as part of a research programme. Follow-up samples tested at the APHA laboratory in Weybridge confirmed the cat was also co-infected with SARS-CoV2 which is the virus known to cause COVID-19 in humans.

Last edited:
I think the earliest I got my flu vaccine was in October. Will need to check on that.
And insurance does not cover the vaccine if you go to Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc - you have to actually go to the doctors office.

That must depend on what insurance you have. We always get ours at Walgreens and it's covered.

Nature article dated 1 Jun.

What’s the risk that animals will spread the coronavirus?

Researchers say there’s an urgent need to find out whether animals can catch the virus and pass it to people.

[paste:font size="4"]
d41586-020-01574-4_18005088.jpg

Cats can be infected with the coronavirus.Credit: Carol Smiljan/NurPhoto/Getty

Soon after the new coronavirus started spreading around the globe, reports emerged of cases in animals — pet cats in Hong Kong, tigers in a New York City zoo and mink on farms in the Netherlands. Now researchers are urgently trying to discover which species can catch the virus, and whether they can pass it to people.

So far, there have been only two reported cases of animals — both mink — passing the virus SARS-CoV-2 to people. At the moment, the chance of contracting the disease from an infected animal is negligible compared to the risk of catching it from an ill person, say researchers.

But as the numbers of infected people fall and restrictions on movement ease, infected animals might have the potential to spark new outbreaks. Researchers are calling for extensive sampling of pets, livestock and wildlife to improve understanding of the risk.

The virus could be spreading undetected in some animals that we don’t know about, says Joanne Santini, a microbiologist at University College London. “We just don’t have enough data,” she says.

Continued at link.

Obesity and Coronavirus have been in the news in the UK for the last three days.

Coronavirus prompts PM into obesity crackdown

• July 2020

_113607067_gettyimages-155439837.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
The prime minister is set to announce new measures to curb obesity next week, and they are expected to include a ban on TV junk food adverts before 21:00.

It comes amid growing evidence people who are overweight or obese are at greater risk from coronavirus.

The measures are yet to be finalised but are also likely to include a ban on online ads for unhealthy foods, and limits on in-store promotions.

One food industry leader said it was a "slap in the face".

The move marks a change in stance by Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who has previously criticised levies on foods high in salt, fat and sugar - and described his views on tackling obesity as "libertarian".

Mr Johnson's experience in intensive care during his treatment for Covid-19 is thought to have contributed to his changing position.

Speaking during a visit to a GP surgery in east London, he said that while he was not normally one for "nannying or bossying", the country did need to lose weight to protect from a second spike.

He said: "Obesity is one of the real co-morbidity factors. Losing weight, frankly, is one of the ways you can reduce your own risk from coronavirus."

Full analysis at link.

Mass. COVID-19 case counts on the rise again

And away we go.....

more at link
By State House News Service
There were nearly 500 new cases of COVID-19 confirmed in Massachusetts over the weekend and the percentage of tests that come back positive for the coronavirus is rising.

The Department of Public Health confirmed 210 new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday and 273 more cases on Sunday, along with the announcement of 31 recent COVID-19 deaths between the two days. The number of daily new cases, which had generally settled at fewer than 200 a day earlier in the month, has been above 200 each of the last four days.

***BREAKING NEWS*** Eight Marlins Players And Two Coaches Test Positive For Coronavirus

Report: Eight More Marlins Players And Two Coaches Test Positive For COVID-19, Home Opener Vs. Orioles Canceled

I just saw that news: how do these sports people (football, baseball, basketball, hockey)
think they are going to actually play a season of their sport? are they nuts? I want to shout- THIS IS A PANDEMIC- what don't you understand about a bunch of guys in a clubhouse, or going to dinner, or whatever, just being together for hours, probably not wearing masks-- and the contagion factor- do they not understand how the virus so efficiently spreads from person to person? SMH-- and what about their families, taking the virus home to families

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141