Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #76

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It took more than five months for India to reach the bleak milestone of 1 million cases of the novel coronavirus.

The next million came in just 21 days.

The third million was faster still: 16 days.

This week, India recorded the highest one-day jump in new cases - more than 77,000 - (more than) anywhere in the world since the pandemic began.

.... the country will shortly overtake Brazil, putting it second to the United States in total cases.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/i...-total-of-cases-in-world-20200829-p55qhs.html

Winter virus plans revealed in leaked Sage report

Not the cheeriest of headlines here today.

Estimated worst case scenario 85,000 covid deaths in the UK this winter.

The northern hemisphere is worried about winter ... we are worried about summer. Our weather is starting to get really beautiful (it will be Spring here on Tuesday).

Waverley mayor Paula Masselos said she is confident beaches will remain open, but is "absolutely" concerned about large crowds flocking to Bondi and Bronte as temperatures rise.
Sunbathers stretched out on the sand and grassed areas, swimmers braved the chilled water and the promenade along Bondi Beach was filled with walkers and joggers on Saturday under the watchful gaze of police, lifeguards, rangers and council ambassadors.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nob...bout-more-beach-closures-20200829-p55qik.html

No. That's not the criteria for probable. There are diagnostics that lead to a "probable." Those have to be met. Doctors know and use those rules, at least in the US. I'd say all 50 states have good doctors in them: lots of very good doctors, in fact. And our coroners and medical examiners are likewise good and trustworthy.

You can probably find a counter example - but they are rare.
What are the US diagnostics that lead to a probable? In England the total count was reduced because of the 60 day issue so it is/was an issue here. Also am wondering if all the states follow a similar protocol.

ETA I just read SS posted it. TY.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) | 2020 Interim Case Definition, Approved April 5, 2020

Case Classification
Probable

• Meets clinical criteria AND epidemiologic evidence with no confirmatory laboratory testing performed for COVID-19.
  • Meets presumptive laboratory evidence AND either clinical criteria OR epidemiologic evidence.
  • Meets vital records criteria with no confirmatory laboratory testing performed for COVID-19.

Interesting. So not confirmed by testing.

Winter virus plans revealed in leaked Sage report

Not the cheeriest of headlines here today.

Estimated worst case scenario 85,000 covid deaths in the UK this winter.

No it isn't. The thing that stuck out to me was this para.

"The figures, which the scientists say have a wide range of uncertainty, suggest around 2.4% of infected people could be hospitalised (range: 0.0%-8.9%) with 20.5% of hospitalised patients going into ICU (range: 1.5% - 35.25) and 23.3% (range: 1.2% - 43.3%) of all hospitalised patients dying.

The model also predicts an overall infection fatality ratio of 0.7% (0.0% - 9.7%). "

So 2.4% of infected people could be hospitalised and 23.3% of those could die leading to an overall CFR of 0.7%.

Now a CFR of only 0.7% does not sound too bad however.

I will check the present actual UK CFR and come back to edit.

Ok here is a link to present CFR's. UK is presently listed as 12.5%. 41573 deaths and 333806 cases.

Mortality Analyses - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

Last edited:
Canadian court stops ‘reckless’ father from taking children to U.S. while COVID-19 spreads

In a case that raises questions about what constitutes responsible parenting during a global pandemic, a B.C. court has chided a father for repeatedly taking his children to the U.S. — the current COVID-19 epicentre.

The case pits a concerned mother against a man described in court documents as a “reckless” father who took their children with him on “non-essential” trips to the United States in the past few months, as coronavirus cases rose.

“I view any non-essential international travel during the current pandemic to be against the children’s best interests,” Justice Palbinder Kaur Shergill of the Supreme Court of British Columbia said in her June ruling that amended the estranged couple’s parenting orders to ban these trips unless the other parent gives written consent.

“Continuing to expose the children to unnecessary risks created by international travel, or even domestic travel which requires traveling through airports and on airplanes, is reckless.”

"Maintaining the children’s health and safety supersedes their need to maintain their connection to friends and family in Virginia,” she said. “While I appreciate that the children have a strong connection to Virginia, the current pandemic requires that parties put their routines and activities on hold.”

massachusetts/more at links

Video Shows Belligerent Couple Without Masks at Marshfield Restaurant

Surveillance video shows customers inside a Massachusetts restaurant appearing to harass a store employee, knocking over plastic partitions. The restaurant's owner says they appeared drunk and refused to wear masks.

One of the people involved in the altercation at Ming Dynasty restaurant in Marshfield is a police officer who was off duty. According to the eatery's owners, was waving around his ID and saying he could do whatever he wanted.

Massachusetts lifts COVID-19 travel restrictions on these 4 states
Visitors and Massachusetts residents returning home from Colorado, Delaware, West Virginia and Pennsylvania are now exempt from the Bay State’s travel order mandating a two-week quarantine period, according to the latest travel restrictions.

Baker Expands Childcare Options in Mass. for Remote Learners
Massachusetts families whose children are learning remotely this fall will be able to participate in supervised care during the school day under new policies announced Friday by the Baker-Polito Administration.

Gov. Charlie Baker has signed an executive order that allows the Department of Early Education and Care to authorize after-school and out-of-school programs like YMCAs, Boys and Girls Clubs and family child care homes to care for school-age children while they participate in remote learning, according to a news release from the administration.

As COVID deaths nationwide surpass 180k, Massachusetts reports 16 new deaths, 438 new cases
As the U.S. surpasses 180,000 deaths from coronavirus, Massachusetts health officials announced another 16 people have died from the virus, bringing the statewide tally to 8,791.

Officials also confirmed another 438 cases of COVID-19, for a total of at least 117,888 cases. That’s based on 23,716 new molecular tests reported on Friday.

There are currently 312 people hospitalized with the virus, including 60 patients in intensive care.

Texas struggles with Covid tests as contact tracers bombarded

“As Texas flung open its doors before much of the country, it needed to lean on “doctors and data to provide the safest strategies”, Abbott went on.

That has not worked out. Only four months later, Texas has reached the grim milestone of 12,000 deaths from Covid-19, after being walloped by the virus for much of the summer.

“It was never a situation we were gonna contact trace our way out of,” said Chris Van Deusen, the director of media relations at the Texas department of state health services (DSHS). “We were seeing so many cases throughout July that doing that alone wasn’t going to stop the outbreak from spreading.”

Coronavirus: Nationwide restrictions not ruled out if there is second spike in winter, says Hancock

There could be nationwide restrictions or very extensive local lockdowns in England if there is a second spike in COVID-19 cases this winter, Matt Hancock has warned.

The health secretary also said in a worst-case scenario, the UK could be fighting a bad outbreak of flu and a growth in coronavirus as people spend more time indoors.

He continued: "Cases go up again, and we have to use very extensive local lockdowns or take further national action. We don't rule that out, but we don't want to see it."

Four people at GOP convention in Charlotte test positive for COVID-19

Four people at GOP convention in Charlotte test positive for COVID-19

Ariel Zilber For Dailymail.com

7 hrs ago
Four people who were in attendance at the scaled-down Republican National Convention in Charlotte earlier this week tested positive for COVID-19, according to local health officials.

The positive tests were reported just days after county officials expressed concern that those who gathered in Charlotte for the convention were not adhering to social distancing and mask-wearing.

Two people who attended the convention and two others who served as support staff were found to have the coronavirus, Mecklenburg County officials said.

Here's another link.

Approximately 14 people potentially exposed after two RNC Charlotte attendees tested positive for COVID-19

"Mecklenburg County leaders say those who tested positive at the event were immediately isolated.

Around 792 COVID-19 tests were conducted among individuals attending or providing support to the RNC in Charlotte. “Of these, 2 attendees and 2 individuals supporting the event tested positive for COVID-19. These individuals were immediately issued isolation instructions and any known close contacts were notified and issued quarantine instructions by Mecklenburg County Public Health (MCPH),” County leaders said.

As of Thursday evening, 24,952 cases of novel coronavirus and 290 virus-related deaths have been reported among Mecklenburg County residents.

County leaders also say at least 62 of the residents who tested positive for COVD-19 were connected to higher educational institutions outside of the county.

One day after the Republican National Convention was held in Charlotte, we learned health safeguards that were put in place may have stopped some delegates who had the coronavirus from attending the convention."

To paraphrase and comment on the rest of the article, county officials believe the requirements for home tests kept the cases at a minimum. 2 attendees and 2 event support staff out of a total of 792 tested is very low at around .5% and the advance requirements for them to get tested has helped with quarantining 14 others who, but for the convention, could have unwittingly passed it on.

Last edited:
I was just comparing Latvia's cases/deaths to a U.S. State - Nebraska has the same population as Latvia - so here is what I have:

Latvia - 1,375 cases - 1, 163 recovered - 35 deaths
Nebraska - 33,771 cases - no # recovered - 400 deaths

No wonder no one here is wearing masks - well besides my bro....

Hi all: well hubby tested negative but now he wants to go back and play on the golf league on two more occasions. I am trying to talk him out of it but he really wants to play (grrrrrrrrrrrr)- i said you will have to get tested again and told him it is foolish to go back because other guys on the league were exposed and could be carrying the virus.
You know, i am exasperated. I try to do everything to avoid the virus; my husband is a wild card. I have to keep telling him to wash his hands after we come in from the store, handle packages or handle mail. Sometimes i just want to scream. Thanks for being there and letting me vent.

To paraphrase and comment on the rest of the article, county officials believe the requirements for home tests kept the cases at a minimum. 2 attendees and 2 event support staff out of a total of 792 tested is very low at around .5% and the advance requirements for them to get tested has helped with quarantining 14 others who, but for the convention, could have unwittingly passed it on.

Yes, that is good. Just imagine if they had tested only those with symptoms! It's so important to keep testing and keep contact tracing.

I was just comparing Latvia's cases/deaths to a U.S. State - Nebraska has the same population as Latvia - so here is what I have:

Latvia - 1,375 cases - 1, 163 recovered - 35 deaths
Nebraska - 33,771 cases - no # recovered - 400 deaths

No wonder no one here is wearing masks - well besides my bro....

Your CFR is quite a bit higher. Hopefully that will improve-

Hi all: well hubby tested negative but now he wants to go back and play on the golf league on two more occasions. I am trying to talk him out of it but he really wants to play (grrrrrrrrrrrr)- i said you will have to get tested again and told him it is foolish to go back because other guys on the league were exposed and could be carrying the virus.
You know, i am exasperated. I try to do everything to avoid the virus; my husband is a wild card. I have to keep telling him to wash his hands after we come in from the store, handle packages or handle mail. Sometimes i just want to scream. Thanks for being there and letting me vent.
I just don't think they get the germ thing at all. My OH was cleaning and rinsing the dog water bowl out at the sink with his bare hands and then using the same hand to turn off the tap. When I point it out to him, I just get a blank look. Maybe that is why more men than women catch it - they are not so germ conscious. I hope that doesn't sound sexist - it is a genuine observation.

Worcester finds more COVID-19 cases tied to off-campus party near Holy Cross

:confused:Central mass/more

WORCESTER – The city has revealed there have been 20 positive COVID-19 cases connected to an off-campus house party thrown by Holy Cross students two weeks ago.

Some of those individuals were at the party themselves, according to the city, while others were in close contact with a partygoer afterwards.

Through its contact tracing program, the city has identified and tested most of the people at the party.

In a statement this week, City Manager Edward M. Augustus Jr. said the city has been working with Holy Cross to find those individuals, and that it “intends to meet with college officials as soon as possible to discuss strategies to prevent the spread of coronavirus on and off-campus,” he said.

Days after Holy Cross campus police broke up the party on Aug. 15, the college announced one of the partygoers had tested positive for the coronavirus, while others were potentially positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018