Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also wonder the same thing. My house is able to survive two months, more if necessary. Lots of powdered milk and beans. LOL Prescriptions may be the only issue I can think of right now. What are ya'll thoughts for the coming months? We don't know how this is going to play out, so I'm very curious as to what websleuth people think. Please don't think I'm trying to predict, this is just the way I feel, thinking if we don't shut down again, we are going to have a bad outbreak. One that has me very frightened. People I'm scared, very. Also, I don't want to be tricked into thinking there will be a safe vaccine.
If you have two months supplies that should be fine IMO. I believe there will be a vaccine by October due to the final trials finishing by the end of Sept, so that is my hope. It will then roll out to elderly, healthcare personnel, vulnerable with health conditions then the rest of the population by reducing ages. This is my view and hope.

This subject came up before but here are some more stories of Aussies trying to get home. In some of the cases they left Oz to visit dying relatives and now cannot get back. $35,000 for 4 plane seats being charged by some airlines.

These are the faces of desperate Australians who are stranded abroad and struggling to get home

There are a multitude of levels of issues.

Some people are stuck in countries where they can't get any flights at all. A couple, on TV the other night, are stuck in the Ukraine. They went there to pick up their newly born surrogate baby, having left their other two youngsters at home with their parents. Their return flights were cancelled, no other flights are offered for months. And they would have to make their way to a place where they can get a flight home. Even a repat flight.

Airlines that are flying back here are not all Australian airlines. For example, United are doing flights but we have no control over them or their pricing structures.

<modsnip>

With our state borders re-opening, other states are likely going to start taking (more) returned travellers - so we can safely up our incoming quotas.

We have no control over what airlines are charging for tickets. Or who they are allowing on their planes. The only control we have is on the repat flights. And, even then, we can't control what the airlines are charging the govt, only what the govt is charging the passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a friend whose income is derived from the rent he collects from his rental properties----mainly duplexes. He's now put them ALL up for sale at less then city assessed value. With the uncertainty about the right to evict people who don't pay their rent, he said he can't afford to keep them. If tenants don't pay their rent, he won't have money to pay the mortgages on the properties, insurance, property taxes, lawn mowing/snow removal services, and in some cases utilities on the properties. He's had them on the market for a few months now and none of them have sold. They're nice properties in a desirable neighborhood.

Do these landlords not have landlords insurance? I know that one of my clients has insurance on his 3 rental properties that covers non-payment of rent by tenants, as well as theft by tenants.

Do these landlords not have landlords insurance? I know that one of my clients has insurance on his 3 rental properties that covers non-payment of rent by tenants, as well as theft by tenants.
My daughter's landlord insurance does not cover deliquent renters. It pays for loss of rent if the building is damaged while repairs are being made.

My daughter's landlord insurance does not cover deliquent renters. It pays for loss of rent if the building is damaged while repairs are being made.

Okay. My clients policies cover default on rent. I just renewed them for him. Existing policies are continuing in that vein, but new policies (since covid) are taking those clauses out. So we stuck with renewing the existing policies.

Or, I should say, you can get those clauses in a new policy, but you have to pay about 4 times the usual price.

They do. But I wonder if officials in other states care factor is there. Especially in Melbourne where they are concentrating on their own large problems.
Which is probably why we have officials at our airport checking everyone who gets off a plane here.

Yes, you've nailed exactly where the problem lies. It's good to check when folks come off the plane, but it really needs to be done properly before they ever get on the plane.

596 new positive cases
4 deaths
5.4% 7 day positivity rate
2.2% ventilator usage
2896 total ventilators in state
About 64 ventilators statewide in use for Covid

ISDH - Novel Coronavirus: Indiana COVID-19 Dashboard

According to world meters estimates, we have about 20,000 active cases out of a total of roughly 100,000 grand total cases.

If you have two months supplies that should be fine IMO. I believe there will be a vaccine by October due to the final trials finishing by the end of Sept, so that is my hope. It will then roll out to elderly, healthcare personnel, vulnerable with health conditions then the rest of the population by reducing ages. This is my view and hope.

If it comes to fruition, the elderly will not go first. Presumably the distribution will follow the 2009 plan:
During the H1N1 influenza pandemic in 2009, ACIP developed a five-tiered priority list for vaccine distribution that frames the current discussion. First came critical health care and public health personnel, pharmacists, emergency responders, police and firefighters, along with "deployed personnel." The second tier included essential military support, the National Guard, intelligence services and other national security personnel as well as mortuary workers, and those in communications, IT and utilities. High-risk adults were in the fourth tier and healthy adults, aged 19 to 64 were in the last group. Children were a high priority in that plan, because H1N1 hit them harder. They will be a lower priority this time, Schaffner said, because they are not involved in current vaccine trials.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-shot-coronavirus-vaccine.html

If it comes to fruition, the elderly will not go first. Presumably the distribution will follow the 2009 plan:
During the H1N1 influenza pandemic in 2009, ACIP developed a five-tiered priority list for vaccine distribution that frames the current discussion. First came critical health care and public health personnel, pharmacists, emergency responders, police and firefighters, along with "deployed personnel." The second tier included essential military support, the National Guard, intelligence services and other national security personnel as well as mortuary workers, and those in communications, IT and utilities. High-risk adults were in the fourth tier and healthy adults, aged 19 to 64 were in the last group. Children were a high priority in that plan, because H1N1 hit them harder. They will be a lower priority this time, Schaffner said, because they are not involved in current vaccine trials.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-shot-coronavirus-vaccine.html

I wonder how well mortuary workers are holding up, as far as getting the virus?

I’ve been concerned about the rising costs of groceries and other goods for a while. I never had to worry about buying Lysol, wipes, masks, gloves, etc. before the pandemic. Buying for family members on fixed income or no income now.
It’s a bit depressing.
Get super cheap baby wipes and dump alcohol in the bag. Cheaper than Clorox wipes and more readily available. I get massive packs and then keep some in a ziplock in my purse and some in the house.

We are most likely not getting a vaccine by October. And even if we did, not many people are willing to be the first to try it. There won’t be enough doses to make a difference anyway, even if it is safe and reliable. It will be for those who are forced to, like medical personnel, the military, and first responders. I feel sorry for anyone who would have to choose between employment and taking a fast-tracked vaccine they are not confident about. Fortunately, I’m not one of those people. I will take the vaccine only after it’s been available to the masses for a couple of months.

We will not see anything remotely close to a return to normal in the US until spring 2021 - maybe, depending on the vaccine.

Fauci: It's "conceivable" but not likely vaccine will be ready in October

Wonder what cities or regions are experiencing the boom in home buying?

Curious with so many on unemployment.

I can’t imagine starting to build a home and suddenly losing my job half way thru the building process.

Buy rental property? Perhaps if you have deep pockets. I found out the hard way about relying on rental income during a pandemic.

The county I live in in Central NJ and the PA county just across the Delaware River from us have seen a dramatic rise in home sales, with buyers from NYC frequently inserting and exercising “escalation clauses” in their contracts with realtors (enabling their real estate brokers to bid on their clients’ behalf over and above other would-be buyers’ offers). Homes here get listed on the MLS and are snapped up very quickly, often with sale prices over the original asking prices.
Also seems to be happening elsewhere, too: Almost 1,000 people move to Florida every day, many coming from Northern cities amid pandemic | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
‘We Can’t Just Limp Along’: Americans Reinvent Fall — The Wall Street Journal

“Fall is typically a season of revival, as people return to work, children head to school, sports seasons launch and cultural life awakens. This year, with the coronavirus pandemic still spreading in much of the U.S., it is a season of deeper adaptation.

Workers are overhauling routines and home offices, families are creating new rituals and businesses are trying new ways to energize employees—all with an eye toward making things work in the long term.”

I am not sure how the United States government would even manage the distribution of a vaccine for Covid-19. The VA is basically the socialized medical model for the United States government, and right now, flu shots are not available for veterans.

I got my flu shot last week at Costco. My husband wants to get a flu shot there next week. The VA is such a disaster, even though my husband gets completely free care at the VA and TRICARE for life, he doesn't want VA care.

Good to see DeWine has the sense to break with the CDC’s idiotic guidelines update on testing.
‘We Can’t Just Limp Along’: Americans Reinvent Fall — The Wall Street Journal

“Fall is typically a season of revival, as people return to work, children head to school, sports seasons launch and cultural life awakens. This year, with the coronavirus pandemic still spreading in much of the U.S., it is a season of deeper adaptation.

Workers are overhauling routines and home offices, families are creating new rituals and businesses are trying new ways to energize employees—all with an eye toward making things work in the long term.”
From the article:
We can’t just limp along,” said Ms. Dillane, 31 years old. “I think it’s easier to mentally prepare that all the next year is a wash.”

That is what I’ve done - mentally prepared for next year to not be normal, either.

The county I live in in Central NJ and the PA county just across the Delaware River from us have seen a dramatic rise in home sales, with buyers from NYC frequently inserting and exercising “escalation clauses” in their contracts with realtors (enabling their real estate brokers to bid on their clients’ behalf over and above other would-be buyers’ offers). Homes here get listed on the MLS and are snapped up very quickly, often with sale prices over the original asking prices.
Also seems to be happening elsewhere, too: Almost 1,000 people move to Florida every day, many coming from Northern cities amid pandemic | Daily Mail Online
If you sell in a rising market, you also have to buy in a rising market. I have friends who sold their homes in the city and moved to a country town and did not really enjoy it, but could not get back into the market in the city again.

I am not sure how the United States government would even manage the distribution of a vaccine for Covid-19. The VA is basically the socialized medical model for the United States government, and right now, flu shots are not available for veterans.

I got my flu shot last week at Costco. My husband wants to get a flu shot there next week. The VA is such a disaster, even though my husband gets completely free care at the VA and TRICARE for life, he doesn't want VA care.
I will wait and see what happens with the vaccine. I have not had a tetanus booster for 40 years since I had a booster after I cut my foot and my throat swelled up. I also have a daughter who had to have the whooping cough taken out of the triple antigen because her whole arm swelled and she had a fever.
I think that we are people who have allergies, not anything wrong with the vaccines.

If you sell in a rising market, you also have to buy in a rising market. I have friends who sold their homes in the city and moved to a country town and did not really enjoy it, but could not get back into the market in the city again.

They can now. Prices have never been more of a buyer's market for living in NYC. Sellers have recognized that they need to lower their prices, or hold onto property for a long time until NYC comes back.

They can now. Prices have never been more of a buyer's market for living in NYC. Sellers have recognized that they need to lower their prices, or hold onto property for a long time until NYC comes back.
Just my opinion, but I don't believe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoopE