Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking up the cost to the taxpayers of our repatriation flights. It seems that for these repatriation flights, us taxpayers have already paid Qantas $248,000,000.
I guess we have done one or two repatriation flights all the way across the world and back - that seems like an awful lot of money, to me.

Plus $267,000,000 to retain their employees.
(Then they stood down 20,000 employees. The union is furious and wants them to pay that money back.)

Due to the coronavirus, their CEO Alan Joyce, has agreed to only take 65% of his normal salary level until November - he got $12,217,400 last year .... so what is that, about $1,020,000 each month for a few months?

Hard times, for us taxpayers. IMO

Union demands Qantas repay $515 million in taxpayer cash after job cuts
Qantas international head to depart as overseas flying remains grounded - ET TravelWorld
Australia’s highest-paid CEO earned $38 million last year
Qantas boss Alan Joyce defends obscene salary

Last edited:
it is always hard for me to retain such complex data--but the statement about the "bradykinis having been overlooked" struck me. My guess is the newest research will be addressing it more, and answering more questions.

It seems every day there are new revelations about this virus- so much to still learn!!!
I will wait and see what happens with the vaccine. I have not had a tetanus booster for 40 years since I had a booster after I cut my foot and my throat swelled up. I also have a daughter who had to have the whooping cough taken out of the triple antigen because her whole arm swelled and she had a fever.
I think that we are people who have allergies, not anything wrong with the vaccines.

I have lots of allergies so i don't get vaccines. However, i would consider getting a vaccine for Covid if i felt i could trust it and right now, with the way it appears to being rushed by this administration, don't think i would get it right away.

If it comes to fruition, the elderly will not go first. Presumably the distribution will follow the 2009 plan:
During the H1N1 influenza pandemic in 2009, ACIP developed a five-tiered priority list for vaccine distribution that frames the current discussion. First came critical health care and public health personnel, pharmacists, emergency responders, police and firefighters, along with "deployed personnel." The second tier included essential military support, the National Guard, intelligence services and other national security personnel as well as mortuary workers, and those in communications, IT and utilities. High-risk adults were in the fourth tier and healthy adults, aged 19 to 64 were in the last group. Children were a high priority in that plan, because H1N1 hit them harder. They will be a lower priority this time, Schaffner said, because they are not involved in current vaccine trials.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-shot-coronavirus-vaccine.html
I am putting the elderly, healthcare staff and vulnerable in one group as being a priority as that is the category worst hit by coronovirus so I believe they will get it first. Care homes have been worst hit in this pandemic, some states have had more than 50% in that category and the majority of the deaths have been in the over 65 age group. I have also seen some reports that age 50 and over would get it first. I don't know if it is in the rollout plans. I'll have to look so this is MOO for now.

I was looking up the cost to the taxpayers of our repatriation flights. It seems that for these repatriation flights, us taxpayers have already paid Qantas $248,000,000.
I guess we have done one or two repatriation flights all the way across the world and back - that seems like an awful lot of money, to me.

Plus $267,000,000 to retain their employees.
(Then they stood down 20,000 employees. The union is furious and wants them to pay that money back.)

Due to the coronavirus, their CEO Alan Joyce, has agreed to only take 65% of his normal salary level until November - he got $12,217,400 last year .... so what is that, about $1,020,000 each month for a few months?

Hard times, for us taxpayers. IMO

Union demands Qantas repay $515 million in taxpayer cash after job cuts
Qantas international head to depart as overseas flying remains grounded - ET TravelWorld
Australia’s highest-paid CEO earned $38 million last year
Qantas boss Alan Joyce defends obscene salary
That's crazy. Why doesn't the passenger have to reimburse the government for the cost of the repatriation?

Coronavirus: Spike in cases after people 'relaxed too much' and second wave 'is coming', health experts warn

The UK faces a "bumpy ride over the next few months" and a second wave of coronavirus "is coming", leading health experts have warned.

England's deputy chief medical officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam said there has been a rise in coronavirus cases because people have "relaxed too much".

He added the rise is "much more marked" in the 17 to 21 age group, but noted there is a "more general and creeping geographic trend" across the UK.

Coronavirus: Household gathering limit set to be cut to battle COVID-19 spike

The maximum number of people who can legally gather in a house in England will be cut to try to stop another coronavirus spike, Sky News understands.

A government source said the figure will be reduced from 30 but the new number is still being ironed out as part of a "toughening up" approach.

It follows a sharp uptick in COVID-19 infections recently, with 2,948 reported on Monday - the highest number since 22 May.

That's crazy. Why doesn't the passenger have to reimburse the government for the cost of the repatriation?

They pay a little ... to Qantas. I don't believe us taxpayers get anything back in the country's kitty, from what I have read.
Which is why I feel that Qantas is not playing fair. IMO

Unfortunately, the everyday media is not telling the whole story. So a person needs to go and look at the other sources - airline news, union news, financial papers, to see what it is costing me and my fellow Australians.
$515,000,000 (so far) - as per my previous links.

London-Melbourne - £721 ($1450)
Los Angeles-Brisbane - $US450 ($731)
Hong Kong-Brisbane and Hong Kong-Melbourne - $HKD3500 ($735)
Auckland-Brisbane $NZ320 ($310)
How much Australians will have to pay to get home on 'rescue' flights

Last edited:
Apologies if already posted, paper by Center for Health Economics & Policy Studies at San Diego State University on the Sturgis rally. They estimate it resulted in 250,000 cases and a public health cost of $12.bn.

The Contagion Externality of a Superspreading Event:The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and COVID-19
Thanks for posting this Legally. Amazingly detailed report. However, the actually daily cases for the US have been declining overall since 17 July, when they were 75k daily to the 7th August before the rally, when they were 60k daily till yesterday when they were 26k. If the 250k increase in cases they have calculated since the rally began on the 10th Aug, that would equate to a daily increase of at least 10k a day, which does not seem to have happened. In fact they have fallen by at least an average of 1k per day since a month ago.

I am amazed at the cell ping data they were able to obtain.

How will the world vaccinate seven billion people?

How close to developing a vaccine are we?

From second link -

"Who would get a vaccine?

If a vaccine is developed, then there will be a limited supply, at least initially, so it will be important to prioritise.

Healthcare workers who come into contact with Covid-19 patients would top the list. The disease is most deadly in older people so they would be a priority if the vaccine was effective in this age group.

The UK has also said other people considered to be at high risk - potentially included those with some conditions or from certain ethnicities - may be prioritised."

ETA have found the US guidance. CDC sent it out 6 days ago. It is discussed in the below article.

CDC Sends COVID-19 Vaccine Guidance With Fall Timeline

ARTICLE

CDC Sends COVID-19 Vaccine Guidance With Fall Timeline

"According to a report in the New York Times, the 5 cities are New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, and San Antonio."

....continued at link

In the guidance, the CDC outlines 2 vaccines labeled as “Vaccine A” and "Vaccine B” with varying amounts of shipments, storage, orders, and administration.

Availability for Vaccine A will be approximately 2 million doses by late October; 10-20 million by late November; and 20-30 million doses by the end of December.

Availability for Vaccine B will be approximately 1 million doses by late October; 10 million by late November; and 15 million doses by the end of December.

... continued at link

The prioritized populations and anticipated vaccination sites that were included in the first round of vaccinations according to the CDC guidance are:
  • Health care professionals, including long-term care facility (LTCF) staff public health closed temporary mass vaccination clinics + potential for mobile clinics
  • Essential workers (specifics to be announced (TBA) – public health closed temporary mass vaccination clinics + potential for mobile clinics
  • National Security populations public health closed temporary mass vaccination clinics + sites
  • LTCF residents & staff pharmacy partners + mobile clinics
... continued at link

Last edited:
I am putting the elderly, healthcare staff and vulnerable in one group as being a priority as that is the category worst hit by coronovirus so I believe they will get it first. Care homes have been worst hit in this pandemic, some states have had more than 50% in that category and the majority of the deaths have been in the over 65 age group. I have also seen some reports that age 50 and over would get it first. I don't know if it is in the rollout plans. I'll have to look so this is MOO for now.
Just do not think that elderly would be a preference over health care workers and LE.

It might be. On the downside, cities are losing so much money due to the pandemic. Rock meet hard place.
I worry that many of our hard hit urban centres are going to look like dystopian archetypes---devastated ruins of crumpled skyscrapers and battered 5 star Hotels, looking like a move set after Armageddon.

Just do not think that elderly would be a preference over health care workers and LE.
I didn't say they would - I said they would all be in the priority group, in my view. I have just posted a UK link now that seems to confirm it also. Still checking US policy.

ETA just added details from CDC in a link to my previous post. Health care personnel and LTC personal and residents are among the priority. It seems there will be limited amounts initially.

Last edited:
Minneapolis? I am in Las Vegas this weekend. Everything that makes Vegas "fun" is pretty much gone. I used to go to shows, and after the show, go out clubbing, drinking, dancing, meet new people, go have breakfast.

That whole scene is gone, for now. Maybe it will be back.
It is hard for me to believe that The Strip will be able to keep itself together for very much longer.

I didn't say they would - I said they would all be in the priority group, in my view. I have just posted a UK link now that seems to confirm it also. Still checking US policy.

ETA just added details from CDC in a link to my previous post. Health care personnel and LTC personal and residents are among the priority. It seems there will be limited amounts initially.

And yet this paper says:

Older people and those with chronic health problems are clearly getting sickest, but vaccines tend to be less effective in these groups.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-shot-coronavirus-vaccine.html

Last edited:
Apologies if already posted, paper by Center for Health Economics & Policy Studies at San Diego State University on the Sturgis rally. They estimate it resulted in 250,000 cases and a public health cost of $12.bn.

The Contagion Externality of a Superspreading Event:The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and COVID-19

Oh my goodness! I'm just reading through the research study and am blown away by the details. We knew it would be bad, but seeing how the case numbers rose from that one event is just horrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Venusflytrap100