Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The differences can probably be attributed to mask wearing. Much of the footage I have seen of BLM protests have the majority of people wearing them, while the opposite is true of the other two examples. MOO.

I think there is another difference: the Sturgis cyclists weren't just outside: at night they were packed into bars and restaurants without masks, thereby making spread of the virus much more likely.

Cases have actually gone down overall which does not back up there findings anyway IMO. The cases are falling so anyone like to guess why that is?

How about this? My son, 32, believes he had COVID several weeks ago. He had many of the symptoms including diarrhea and vomiting for a few days; headaches and muscle aches for about three weeks; chest tightness, cough and fatigue bad for three weeks, still ongoing but much lessened over the last two weeks; fever and chills but he doesn't know how high since apparently he needs a thermometer in his Christmas stocking. He has been working from home since March, lives alone and the only places he has been are Publix and Target for groceries. He did not tell me until he felt better. He did not test. I was astonished, but he said that he would not have gotten results until after he felt better, and he is not wrong. And that he felt bad enough that he didn't want to drive the 30 minutes to get to a testing site.

How about this? My son, 32, believes he had COVID several weeks ago. He had many of the symptoms including diarrhea and vomiting for a few days; headaches and muscle aches for about three weeks; chest tightness, cough and fatigue bad for three weeks, still ongoing but much lessened over the last two weeks; fever and chills but he doesn't know how high since apparently he needs a thermometer in his Christmas stocking. He has been working from home since March, lives alone and the only places he has been are Publix and Target for groceries. He did not tell me until he felt better. He did not test. I was astonished, but he said that he would not have gotten results until after he felt better, and he is not wrong. And that he felt bad enough that he didn't want to drive the 30 minutes to get to a testing site.
I’ll bet there are many undocumented cases like this. Not to mention all the asymptomatic cases where there are people walking around with antibodies but don’t even know it. JMO & conjecture.

They can now. Prices have never been more of a buyer's market for living in NYC. Sellers have recognized that they need to lower their prices, or hold onto property for a long time until NYC comes back.

I have a relative who has lived in the Lower East Side since the 1980s. For the first time she is considering giving up her rent-controlled 600-sq.ft. studio apartment (which is in an area that’s been rapidly gentrifying over the last 10 years and is now considered a very desirable area of the LES for young professionals to live in) and it is only because the prices of apartments throughout the city have plummeted. She is looking at an apartment in the same neighborhood that is more than triple the size of her studio, in a recently-built and well-maintained building, where the previous tenants were paying over $6K/month to rent; they left NYC as soon as they could after the pandemic began and the apartment’s owner is pretty desperate to get a tenant in there, and has slashed the rent he is asking for by two-thirds! Many empty rental units in the city are making this a very good time for those with some measure of financial security to be renters, rather than landlords. Maybe I am being too optimistic, but is almost imaginable that people with normal jobs/no trust funds and those who are not celebrities or royal-adjacent might once again be able to afford to live in Manhattan.

The Senate will vote on a coronavirus stimulus bill as early as this week.

Congress has failed to pass a fifth coronavirus aid package even after a $600 per week extra jobless benefit, a federal moratorium on evictions and the window to apply for Paycheck Protection Program small business loans lapsed. The expiration of those lifelines has left millions made jobless by the coronavirus struggling to cover costs.

Mitch McConnell says Senate will vote on coronavirus stimulus plan as soon as this week

Yep that's a good reason. But when similar reasons were given before for increases (ie more tests means more cases) it was ridiculed, so I don't know. I guess it could also be that cases are naturally falling as less hosts can be found for the virus. MOO.

Maine Pastor Who Presided Over Wedding Linked to COVID-19 Cluster Hires Lawyer
Maine wedding/more at link
The Maine pastor who presided over an East Millinocket wedding whose crowded reception has been linked to more than 145 virus cases and at least three deathshas hired a lawyer known nationally for defending the religious rights of churches.

The Portland Press Herald reports Todd Bell of the Calvary Baptist Church in Sanford held in-person services on Sunday, but it was unclear whether the service complied with the state's 50-person limit on indoor gatherings.

Videos posted online of the church's services had shown that Bell has continued to hold in-person services without masks or social distancing.

I went to their website. They have done 3 studies on Covid spreading. They said the Sturgis rally and the Trump rally were both estimated to be super spreaders. But the many Black Lives Matter protests, larger in numbers, larger in time spans, larger in geographic locations, ---they do not think they are spreading any Covid.

Well, we know the Trump rally wasn't a super spreader. This sounds like a politically motivated article.

Two Mass. breweries closed after customer went ‘bar hopping while waiting for their test results’
masshole/more at link
Two nearby breweries in Everett had to close and undergo a deep cleaning due to a customer testing positive for COVID-19.

“We will be closed [Monday] (both beer garden and to go) to give ourselves time to clean everything and collect ourselves,” Bone Up Brewing wrote on Instagram. “Why people decide to go bar hopping while waiting for their test results is beyond us.”

Northeastern University dismisses 11 students for violating social distancing policies - CNN
Mass/more at link
The students will not receive refunds on any payments made for the fall semester, according to the university. They have the right to contest their dismissal at an expedited hearing, the school said.
I can see expulsion & maybe a fine or processing fee withheld from refund. But to confiscate all tuition, dorm, lab, parking, meal plan fees? Dangerous precedent, imo. I see some lawyers in my crystal ball.

Two Mass. breweries closed after customer went ‘bar hopping while waiting for their test results’
masshole/more at link
Two nearby breweries in Everett had to close and undergo a deep cleaning due to a customer testing positive for COVID-19.

“We will be closed [Monday] (both beer garden and to go) to give ourselves time to clean everything and collect ourselves,” Bone Up Brewing wrote on Instagram. “Why people decide to go bar hopping while waiting for their test results is beyond us.”

Ha, how dumb is that? I guess s/he figured they were going to be positive so thought WTF let's get drunk.

masshole/more at link

Perhaps if there is a fine attached?
Obviously instructing people to not go out while waiting is not enough.
JMO

It is hard for me to believe that The Strip will be able to keep itself together for very much longer.

And yet, apparently it was quite busy. I got an email this morning, offering me over $1,000 in travel discounts for the next 6 months for travel because I went to Vegas last weekend. And my trip was beyond belief cheap. Especially for a Labor Day weekend.

The coupons I received are actually making me consider another trip.

I think they will need to take great care in their decisions. And those decisions may change as rollout gets closer. From what I understand, the testing is happening on the 18-65 demographic.

If they give the first limited amounts of the vaccine to those who get little effect from it - or may be put at some great risk from it - it may not be the best place to use those vaccines in the first instance.

Over age 65 folks were also being recruited to participate in Ohio State's part of the AstraZeneca vaccine trial a few weeks ago in Columbus, Ohio. Along with essential workers.

I have a relative who has lived in the Lower East Side since the 1980s. For the first time she is considering giving up her rent-controlled 600-sq.ft. studio apartment (which is in an area that’s been rapidly gentrifying over the last 10 years and is now considered a very desirable area of the LES for young professionals to live in) and it is only because the prices of apartments throughout the city have plummeted. She is looking at an apartment in the same neighborhood that is more than triple the size of her studio, in a recently-built and well-maintained building, where the previous tenants were paying over $6K/month to rent; they left NYC as soon as they could after the pandemic began and the apartment’s owner is pretty desperate to get a tenant in there, and has slashed the rent he is asking for by two-thirds! Many empty rental units in the city are making this a very good time for those with some measure of financial security to be renters, rather than landlords. Maybe I am being too optimistic, but is almost imaginable that people with normal jobs/no trust funds and those who are not celebrities or royal-adjacent might once again be able to afford to live in Manhattan.

Still can't even eat in a restaurant in NYC - at some point people there (and everyplace else where the virus response was and is applied with "exuberance") will decide to rejoin the land of the living in a more "open" location. Just like the PAC 12 and Big 10 will probably find it hard to recruit blue chip athletes for decades to come. Kind of ironic that the City that Never Sleeps will now become an attractive destination for terminal homebodies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms