Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I might have posted much earlier that he was instrumental in persuading his company to allow employees to work at home when they really didn't want to. So of course he did not shop while sick - he is the most conscientious of any in our family - and we are all quite conscientious about our health. In fact, he is still not shopping in person - he's having his groceries delivered. It's been eight weeks since the start of his symptoms and he is still experiencing some chest tightness and exhaustion.

I hope he will recover fully!

<modsnip> It was a response to a post comparing the Covid deaths to Hiroshima and Nagasaki deliberate bombings by the Allies in WW2. So it was in that context.

Also, when you think how many people we are killing with climate change driving our gas guzzlers it also puts it in perspective. Many that normally die from flu and pneumonia have not done so this year, due to the coronavirus measures so it all must be taken into account. Including the deaths in LTC facilities, that could have been avoided.

MOO
When does your flu season start?

Typically we get flu shots in September in preparation for flu season starting in the fall.

(November through March with the peak in December/January for our area)

Last edited by a moderator:
Salon owner won't allow customers to wear masks because "Covid doesn't exist"

“A photo of the sign, published by the Liverpool Echo, reads:
  • Covid Free Salon
  • No Masks
  • We Take Cash
  • Covid Talk Is Banned
  • You Can't Catch What Doesn't Exist”
This is the type of sign I really appreciate. It lets the public know where the business owner stands- not only for professional life, but probably personal conduct (daily corona risk exposure) as well. Makes it extra easy to cancel one’s appointment and take one’s business elsewhere. I wish everyone would be so direct so I can better know who to avoid. Jmo

Last edited:

Typically we get flu shots in September in preparation for flu season starting in the fall.

We usually get flu shots in late Sept/early Oct but this year we got them on August 31. We got the high-dose version for adults age 65+. I do worry that we might have been better off waiting a few weeks. Here's what the CDC says about timing:

Do we need to get a flu vaccine earlier this year (i.e. July/August)?

There is no change in CDC’s recommendation on timing of vaccination this flu season. Getting vaccinated in July or August is too early, especially for older people, because of the likelihood of reduced protection against flu infection later in the flu season. September and October are good times to get vaccinated. However, as long as flu viruses are circulating, vaccination should continue, even in January or later.
----
We are retired and are able to stay at home most of the time, so I think/hope we will be much less likely to be exposed to the flu and other infectious diseases this fall and winter.

This is the type of sign I really appreciate. It lets the public know where the business owner stands- not only for professional life, but probably personal conduct (daily corona risk exposure) as well. Makes it extra easy to cancel one’s appointment and take one’s business elsewhere. I wish everyone would be so direct so I can better know who to avoid. Jmo

Similarly, I'm enjoying the fact that many restaurants and hotels/motels are publishing thorough responses to CoVid that make me feel more comfortable.

And things are getting better! (I hate to jinx us, but the US seems to be finally coming down off its "first wave.")

It can last for quite a long time. But similar to the US I would think. This link says the 2018-19 flu season lasted 21 weeks into the Spring.

This Past Flu Season Was the Longest in 10 Years, the CDC Says

Below is the data for the 2019-20 season. 24,000 deaths. 170 paediatric deaths

The 2019-2020 flu season has come to an end. See it, charted.

Worst flu season for children in a decade
This flu season was especially bad for children, according to CDC. The latest CDC report shows officials reported 170 pediatric deaths associated with the flu as of April 25, with one new pediatric death occurring in the week ending on April 25. The cumulative hospitalization rate for children ages four and under this season was 95.1 per 100,000 people as of the week ending on April 25.

Last edited:
We usually get flu shots in late Sept/early Oct but this year we got them on August 31. We got the high-dose version for adults age 65+. I do worry that we might have been better off waiting a few weeks. Here's what the CDC says about timing:

Do we need to get a flu vaccine earlier this year (i.e. July/August)?

There is no change in CDC’s recommendation on timing of vaccination this flu season. Getting vaccinated in July or August is too early, especially for older people, because of the likelihood of reduced protection against flu infection later in the flu season. September and October are good times to get vaccinated. However, as long as flu viruses are circulating, vaccination should continue, even in January or later.
----
We are retired and are able to stay at home most of the time, so I think/hope we will be much less likely to be exposed to the flu and other infectious diseases this fall and winter.
I called last week and was told they did not have the vaccine in yet (GA) which is typical to previous years. I didn’t even know doctors had flu vaccines available in July.
Things to ask during my physical!

Did these economists do a scientific study to reach this conclusion? If so are they even qualified to do a study about the spread of this virus?

four economists used anonymized cellphone data, local health records and data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to conclude that an estimated 266,796 coronavirus cases could be attributed to the rally.

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally linked to more than 260,000 coronavirus cases, economists estimate

similar numbers to another study posted Legally Bland by a few pages ago:

Apologies if already posted, paper by Center for Health Economics & Policy Studies at San Diego State University on the Sturgis rally. They estimate it resulted in 250,000 cases and a public health cost of $12.bn.

The Contagion Externality of a Superspreading Event:The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and COVID-19

Last edited:
It can last for quite a long time. But similar to the US I would think. This link says the 2018-19 flu season lasted 21 weeks into the Spring.

This Past Flu Season Was the Longest in 10 Years, the CDC Says

“But the length and trajectory of the most recent flu season—which began in November, peaked in mid-February and trailed off in April—was unique, the CDC says.”

Usually the arrival of Spring (arrives early here first of April) is the trailing end.
I think the first US nontravel related case of Covid was at the end of February.
Flu season was ending, so we don’t have a full picture of flu related deaths until this upcoming season which will coincide with possibly a second wave in some areas.
I expect an uptick due to the Labor Day holiday and college students returning home. JMO
I’m hopeful that it will be otherwise.
I’m stir crazy.

four economists used anonymized cellphone data, local health records and data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to conclude that an estimated 266,796 coronavirus cases could be attributed to the rally.

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally linked to more than 260,000 coronavirus cases, economists estimate

similar numbers to another study posted Legally Bland by a few pages ago:

Apologies if already posted, paper by Center for Health Economics & Policy Studies at San Diego State University on the Sturgis rally. They estimate it resulted in 250,000 cases and a public health cost of $12.bn.

The Contagion Externality of a Superspreading Event:The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and COVID-19
Sounds like they took some data and used some math to come up with their figures.

I wonder how accurate that method is?

“But the length and trajectory of the most recent flu season—which began in November, peaked in mid-February and trailed off in April—was unique, the CDC says.”

Usually the arrival of Spring (arrives early here first of April) is the trailing end.
I think the first US nontravel related case of Covid was at the end of February.
Flu season was ending, so we don’t have a full picture of flu related deaths until this upcoming season which will coincide with possibly a second wave in some areas.
I expect an uptick due to the Labor Day holiday and college students returning home. JMO
I’m hopeful that it will be otherwise.
I’m stir crazy.

I added the link for the 2019-2020 season too, which also lasted into April.

Sounds like they took some data and used some math to come up with their figures.

I wonder how accurate that method is?

Probably not as accurate as the contact tracing that had been done IMO that has tracked the positive cases so far.

This is how the study came up with their figure -

“Adding the number of new cases due to the Rally in South Dakota estimated by synthetic control (3.6 per 1,000 population, scaled by the South Dakota population of approximately 858,000) brings the total number of cases to 266,796 or 19 percent of 1.4 million new cases of COVID-19 in the United States between August 2nd 2020 and September 2nd 2020,” said the report.

So they used synthetic control. Does that mean they guessed?

Last edited:
Coronavirus: 307 new cases and one further death confirmed in Ireland

THERE HAVE BEEN a further 307 cases of Covid-19 confirmed in Ireland, health officials said this evening. The Department of Health also reported one further death associated with the disease. The total number of people with Covid-19 who have died is 1,778.

• 160 are men / 146 are women
  • 73% are under 45 years of age
  • 64% are confirmed to be associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case
  • 72 cases have been identified as community transmission
  • 182 in Dublin, 25 in Kildare, 19 in Limerick, 15 in Wexford, 15 in Louth, eight in Wicklow, six in Galway, six in Clare, six in Kilkenny and the remaining 25 cases are located in Cavan, Cork, Donegal, Kerry, Longford, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Sligo, Tipperary, Waterford, Westmeath.

Finally MSM is reporting it.

Coronavirus US: Daily cases fall to lowest in two months | Daily Mail Online

• Daily coronavirus cases across the country are averaging at just over 40,000 per day - a toll not seen since the last week of June
  • Cases are currently declining nationally after plateauing for the last week two weeks following the initial steep decline in July
  • The average number of daily deaths is now at just over 800, which is down from the peak 2,000 fatalities per day back in April
  • The US now has more than 6.3 million confirmed cases and nearly 190,000 Americans have now died
  • Health officials fear the Labor Day weekend could cause a spike like the one that followed Memorial Day
  • Coronavirus cases are currently rising in 22 states in the less-populated parts of the Midwest and South
  • Those increases, however, are masked nationwide by decreasing new infections in the most populous states of California, Florida and Texas
The US added 267 fatalities to its death toll on Monday, which is the lowest since early July. That toll could also be a result of a delay in weekend reporting.

The average number of daily deaths is now at just over 800, which is down from the peak 2,000 fatalities per day back in April.

More at link.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members